Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 10:29:12 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Is ethereum a pump and dump of massive proportions?
No, it has real utility and a core of supporters who really believe in the tech. - 6 (21.4%)
Yes. Most of its value is supported by speculators, the underlying tech has little actual utility. - 9 (32.1%)
No, but it has been picked as a favorite by big institutional players to capture long term crypto market share with more centralized control. - 4 (14.3%)
Yes, it started out with well intentioned idealists but has been coopted by sharks who will run it into the ground once they feel they've gained enough profits. - 9 (32.1%)
Total Voters: 28

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is Ethereum a pump and dump?  (Read 2452 times)
semaforo (OP)

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 18, 2017, 09:26:28 AM

Ethereum coin is promising coin and I think ethereum coin have big future and I think if bitcoin die ethereum is the next 1 crypto the crypto world. So its better to buy ether now and for sure after few months you will earn a lot of profit. Ethereum is porfitable to invest because the price is continue to increase everyday and I think many people love ether. Dont waste time invest now.

See, this is the sentiment that worries me.

Ether is missing what to me is a key element of any strong cryptocurrency- limited supply. Somehow its utility is supposed to make up for this, but no one can really explain to me how it can do what other coins can't!

It is plausible that institutional money is behind it to try to have a cryptocurrency they can have more control over than bitcoin, since the big money was too slow to really get in good with bitcoin.

This makes me think all of the smart bitcoin people are going to avoid it, and a bunch of trigger happy green horns are going to freak out when the inevitable correction takes place, and fear losing their huge profits, and run ethereum into the ground.

I'm sure this won't kill it but I would be very fearful of the current market trend.

I just wish some programmers would show up and explain to me how it is really better to work with than bitcoin. Come on, it can't be that hard to explain, can it?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
musicmate

Activity: 88
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 18, 2017, 11:58:38 AM

Ethereum coin is promising coin and I think ethereum coin have big future and I think if bitcoin die ethereum is the next 1 crypto the crypto world. So its better to buy ether now and for sure after few months you will earn a lot of profit. Ethereum is porfitable to invest because the price is continue to increase everyday and I think many people love ether. Dont waste time invest now.

See, this is the sentiment that worries me.

Ether is missing what to me is a key element of any strong cryptocurrency- limited supply. Somehow its utility is supposed to make up for this, but no one can really explain to me how it can do what other coins can't!

It is plausible that institutional money is behind it to try to have a cryptocurrency they can have more control over than bitcoin, since the big money was too slow to really get in good with bitcoin.

This makes me think all of the smart bitcoin people are going to avoid it, and a bunch of trigger happy green horns are going to freak out when the inevitable correction takes place, and fear losing their huge profits, and run ethereum into the ground.

I'm sure this won't kill it but I would be very fearful of the current market trend.

I just wish some programmers would show up and explain to me how it is really better to work with than bitcoin. Come on, it can't be that hard to explain, can it?

Bitcoin is predominantly used for anonymous transactions .. ETH have "smart contacts" as the main feature, meaning it's suited for the business world because you can integrate an objective into the coin

Ie : I will make a contact with Joe for him to rent my house , every week he pay's me $300 , if he misses the payment , take payment from x account which is the bond money for the house. You can then take the smart contact to court as evidence to re-claim you're money from Joe..

In simple you can do more with ETH.. The only issue with ETH is that the code language used is new so not much people or Dev's would know it, it's called  Solidity..

That's where Lisk or LSK comes in & where i think it has very good value, it uses a code language that everyone understands which Java script, simply means more people or business will be able to work with it much easier then ETH i reckon..           
Himanshu111

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 18, 2017, 12:25:41 PM

Pump and dump is part of all cryptocurrencies and ethereum is no different. It surely is a pump but i don't think that ethereum will fall back to its old price ever now because we can't deny the fact that it is gaining more and more popularity everyday and many people are investing in it because of its features and capabilities.
Mia Wallace

Activity: 361
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 18, 2017, 07:15:07 PM

Since Ethereum is a contract based token platform and we are seeing more projects using them we are seeing these sort of price,it is just my opinion and  if you need to seed those contracts you need ETH as gas to send the contracts and i think that is the case here,will it keep going higher,it might as long as the contracts are going strong.
Siren

Activity: 826
Merit: 265

View Profile
June 18, 2017, 07:20:41 PM

Pump and dump is part of all cryptocurrencies and ethereum is no different. It surely is a pump but i don't think that ethereum will fall back to its old price ever now because we can't deny the fact that it is gaining more and more popularity everyday and many people are investing in it because of its features and capabilities.

Agreed. It may have been a pump and dump coins after all. But the pump we are seeing are just too hard to ignore now. And we may never see that the price could go down as low as it was before. ICO's are offering ETH as alternative now to bitcoin as form of investment. So for this reason alone, it will not go down soon but instead still go up as time passes by.
oaks05

Activity: 770
Merit: 501

View Profile
June 18, 2017, 07:25:17 PM

Ethereum will continue to rise as long as these ico's stick around, I work at a big company and people that never heard of cryptocurrencys hear something about it, it seems to be ethereum these days so word is def getting out about it and as long as new people keep hearing about it i think it can keep gaining adoption.

█ █ █ █ █
         ██           ██
       ██     █ █ █ █   ██
     ██    ██        ██
   ██   ██               
  ██   ██     ████████                  ██████████
            ███          ██   █████████     ██      ██████  ██   ███████  ██    ███   ███████
 ██   ██    ███              ██      ███    ██      ██          ███       ██   ███  ██
 ██   ██    ███  ██████  ██  ██      ███    ██      ██      ██  ███       ██  ███   ██
            ███      ██  ██  ██      ███    ██      ██      ██  ███       ██████     ███████
 ██   ██    ███      ██  ██  ██      ███    ██      ██      ██  ███       ██  ██           ██
             ██      ██  ██  ██      ███    ██      ██      ██  ███       ██   ███         ██
 ██   ██      ███████    ██   █████████     ██      ██      ██   ███████  ██    ███  ███████
  ██   ██                           ███
   ██    ██          ██            ███
     ██    ██ █ █ █ █   ██
       ██             ██
          █ █ █ █ █ █

Telegram     Facebook     Twitter     Medium
-------------------------------------------------------------------
.WEBSITE. |█| .WHITEPAPER.

......BOUNTY......
-----------------------------------
..ANN THREAD..
semaforo (OP)

View Profile
June 18, 2017, 10:57:07 PM

Ethereum will continue to rise as long as these ico's stick around, I work at a big company and people that never heard of cryptocurrencys hear something about it, it seems to be ethereum these days so word is def getting out about it and as long as new people keep hearing about it i think it can keep gaining adoption.

It seens that for some reason ethereum appeals to people who have the kind of money to have major influence on the media as well... I get the feeling perhaps it has been picked by rich people who realize they are too late to catch the bitcoin train but that they can capture a large percentage of bitcoin market share by pumping up ethereum, which perhaps is easier due to its more centralized nature. Also the price would be easier to pump up to force weak hands to diversify out of bitcoin, creating a snow ball effect.
machinek20

Activity: 840
Merit: 501

View Profile
June 18, 2017, 11:36:54 PM

I believe erh is more than pump and dump, there are serious investors and developers that want to develop this coin, eth now has become bitcoin sidekick, so if anything happen to bitcoin the most possibility replacement is eth
Mazt rhiezt

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 19, 2017, 01:11:05 AM

Etereum affects new investors who know the crypto world, this is happening recently because of the delay they know and hold bitcoin.
But for these old investors do not affect anything in accordance with their ethereum like decoration without any special in it.

██
▐█▄             ▄█▀
███    ▄██▄    ▄█▀ ██                          ██
███   ▄████   ▄█▀ ▄▄  ▄▄▄ ▄▄▄   ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄       ▄▄▄   ▄▄▄
███  ▄█▀███  ▄█▀ ██▌ ▄██▀▄▀██▌ █▀  ▄█▀       ▄██▌ ▄██▀ ▀▄
███ ▄█▀▐███ ██▀ ██▌ ▐███▀ ▄█▀    ▄█▀        ▄██▌ ▄██   ▄▀
▐██▄█▀  █████▀ ▐██  ███  ▐██   ▄█▀          ██▀  ██▌  ▄▀
 ▀██▀   ▀██▀    ▀█  ▀█   ▀█  ▄██▄▄▄▄▄▀▀  ██ ▀█    ▀███▀

Every BTCit of Fun
███████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
███████████████████████
▀▀█████████████████▀▀
▀▀▀███████▀▀▀

▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
▄▄█████████████████▄▄
▄███████████████████████▄
██████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████

▄▄▄▄▄▄
▄▀████████▀▄
██▄▀██████▀▄██
▐███▌▐████▌▐███▌
██▀▄██████▄▀██
▀▄████████▄▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
         ▄█████████████████
        ███████████████████
       ██████████████████▀
      █████▀▀
     ████▀
    ████▀
   ████▀
  ████▀
 ████▀
████▀
████████░████████
▐███████▄░▄███████▌
▐███████▄░▄███████▌
▐███████▄░▄███████▌
███████▄░▄███████
███████████████

▀███████▀
▀▀▀▀
██████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██

██

██

██

██████
   BET NOW   
██████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██

██

██

██

██████
Tolrem

Activity: 98

View Profile
June 19, 2017, 03:26:49 AM

It absolutely is. A lot of tech talk but I cannot imagine that was your implied premise. It's got miles to go first before the real holders cash in and the feds regulate ICOs.

████→→       ● DeepOnion                                                                       ✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯ 
████→→       ● Tor integrated, 100% anonymous!                                ✯     Get Your FREE Coins NOW!        ✯
████→→       ● Free Airdrop! (No ICO, No Crowdfund)                        ✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯
Pursuer
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1163

Where is my ring of blades...

View Profile
June 19, 2017, 03:48:31 AM

in short if you could invest in these ICOs with anything but ETH, like if you could buy them with bitcoin only, then ETH price would have still been at 0.01BTC at most.

Bitcoin is predominantly used for anonymous transactions ..
bitcoin doesn't give anyone any good level of anonymity, and those who want that are using Monero instead.

ETH have "smart contacts" as the main feature, meaning it's suited for the business world because you can integrate an objective into the coin
this is actually the main problem!
because smart contracts is the only thing that it offers and unlike bitcoin it is not really a unique thing to use, there are other platforms that does the same thing even better!!
and also the business world that you are talking about will never use ethereum, they only get in, watch and learn, then go implement their own thing to have extra security and don't worry about the 72 million ETH token premine thing...

Only Bitcoin
findingthemoon

Activity: 252
Merit: 123

View Profile
June 19, 2017, 04:51:29 AM

because smart contracts is the only thing that it offers and unlike bitcoin it is not really a unique thing to use, there are other platforms that does the same thing even better!!
and also the business world that you are talking about will never use ethereum, they only get in, watch and learn, then go implement their own thing to have extra security and don't worry about the 72 million ETH token premine thing...

Almost all altcoins can do what bitcoin does but better yet bitcoin is still on top. Why? Because it is the first cryptocurrency on the market. The same can be said of Ethereum, smart contracts can be done by other coins yes but Ethereum has first mover advantage. As for the premine it was never hidden from the public.
xbiv2

Activity: 560
Merit: 111

View Profile
June 19, 2017, 05:35:01 AM

Ethereum it -49.77% annualy

Herbert2020
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1137

View Profile
June 19, 2017, 06:08:30 AM

Almost all altcoins can do what bitcoin does but better yet bitcoin is still on top. Why? Because it is the first cryptocurrency on the market. The same can be said of Ethereum, smart contracts can be done by other coins yes but Ethereum has first mover advantage. As for the premine it was never hidden from the public.

not at all.

first of all bitcoin is NOT the first cryptocurrency on the market. there have been a couple of others before bitcoin and some more just small projects not a full network before it. but bitcoin thrived among them and became big. so it pushed them aside and became number 1.

also bitcoin doesn't have a premine but eth and most of the altcoins do.
bitcoin have a good developing team that has been checking the code, improving and other things. but none of the altcoins can say the same. they fail to do simple things. ethereum is easily exploitable for example.
bitcoin has the most secure network which none of the altcoins have.
bitcoin has the most adoption among merchants which NONE of the altcoins have, the altcoins never leave exchanges and ethereum is never used in anything other than smart contracts which is a fancy word for ICO scams.
and a lot more ..

so you see the fact that you are not informed properly doesn't mean you are right. people didn't randomly choose bitcoin for investment or for store of value or for usage as a currency they chose it because it is the best thing among all the cryptocurrencies. but in the past couple of months because of problems the fees have gone up and all the altcoin pumpers are using this fact to milk the masses out of their money by fooling them into investing in all the altcoin craps.

Weak hands have been complaining about missing out ever since bitcoin was $1 and never buy the dip.
Whales are those who keep buying the dip.
musicmate

Activity: 88

View Profile
June 19, 2017, 08:43:05 AM

in short if you could invest in these ICOs with anything but ETH, like if you could buy them with bitcoin only, then ETH price would have still been at 0.01BTC at most.

Bitcoin is predominantly used for anonymous transactions ..
bitcoin doesn't give anyone any good level of anonymity, and those who want that are using Monero instead.

ETH have "smart contacts" as the main feature, meaning it's suited for the business world because you can integrate an objective into the coin
this is actually the main problem!

It has a level of anonymity & that was it's main purpose other then exchanging digitally  , the point of me bringing it was to offer the OP some basic understanding of the two he/she was asking about.

And in reply to you're ETH comment, yes you would never see Google taking up ETH, they would just make there own if anything , but my point was more that ETH allows innovation via smart contacts , not a point of is there better cos again the point was to give the OP some basic understanding of the two.

As for better, it's still early day's & we will see so much more in this space from every angle

semaforo (OP)

View Profile
June 19, 2017, 09:36:08 AM

not at all.

first of all bitcoin is NOT the first cryptocurrency on the market. there have been a couple of others before bitcoin and some more just small projects not a full network before it. but bitcoin thrived among them and became big. so it pushed them aside and became number 1.

also bitcoin doesn't have a premine but eth and most of the altcoins do.
bitcoin have a good developing team that has been checking the code, improving and other things. but none of the altcoins can say the same. they fail to do simple things. ethereum is easily exploitable for example.
bitcoin has the most secure network which none of the altcoins have.
bitcoin has the most adoption among merchants which NONE of the altcoins have, the altcoins never leave exchanges and ethereum is never used in anything other than smart contracts which is a fancy word for ICO scams.
and a lot more ..

so you see the fact that you are not informed properly doesn't mean you are right. people didn't randomly choose bitcoin for investment or for store of value or for usage as a currency they chose it because it is the best thing among all the cryptocurrencies. but in the past couple of months because of problems the fees have gone up and all the altcoin pumpers are using this fact to milk the masses out of their money by fooling them into investing in all the altcoin craps.

I suspect herbert knows what he is talking about.

In the example of rent as a smart contract, I fail to see how bitcoin could not serve this same purpose, I mean you could just use a normal contract and use bitcoin to verify that payment is being sent from one address to another. Please explain to me where the actual value added proposition of ethereum over bitcoin comes in.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: