Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 08:06:43 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why does everyone think Solo Mining is a waste of time?  (Read 6388 times)
sdp

Activity: 469
Merit: 281

View Profile WWW
May 10, 2013, 04:35:23 PM

There comes a time when you wont get anymore than penies but you wont get paid because the minimal amount you need to get a payout is 0.1 BTC ($10 USD)  Are there any pools that have a lower limit like 0.01 USD ?   There comes a time when if your hash is too low, you are better off solo mining.  At least you have a chance.

Grin

Coinsbank: Left money in their costodial wallet for my signature.  Then they kept the money.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to achieve higher forum ranks, you need both activity points and merit points.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
os2sam
Legendary

Activity: 3578
Merit: 1090

Think for yourself

View Profile
May 10, 2013, 08:54:34 PM

There comes a time when you wont get anymore than penies but you wont get paid because the minimal amount you need to get a payout is 0.1 BTC ($10 USD)  Are there any pools that have a lower limit like 0.01 USD ?

I'm surprised the p2pool fanatic's haven't chimed in on this one.

P2pool will payout your portion every time a block is found regardless of how small your share is.

Read up on "bag of pennies" wallet and the ramifications of that for you.
Sam

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.
Q: What is the most annoying thing on usenet and in e-mail?
blazin8s

Activity: 180
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 10, 2013, 10:58:40 PM

Are there any pools that have a lower limit like 0.01 USD ?

deepbit and slush let you withdrawal 0.01  

there's probably some others
Trongersoll

Activity: 490
Merit: 501

View Profile
May 10, 2013, 11:28:34 PM

I use Slush's Pool. One of the things it reports is how many blocks you have found. I've found none. I'm running about 100 Mhs. If i wasn't in a pool, i wouldn't have nuttin', and probably wouldn't live long enough to get anything. I'm old. So yeah, with a pool i at least got something other than just Electric bills.
seannnyx

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 11, 2013, 09:40:02 AM

Pooled mining = steady job
Solo mining = playing the lottery for jackpots of 1000 dollars

See the difference now?
hahaha good example XD
jamesblack

Activity: 14

View Profile
May 11, 2013, 10:02:06 AM

because you may not find anything for a long time ....
Welsh
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3262
Merit: 4110

View Profile
May 11, 2013, 10:54:39 AM

It's not a 'waste' of time, if you have a really good computer, or if you have very good luck.

But, because of the difficulty to mine, even in pools as shot through the roof, it does make it harder.

Solo mining is like playing the lottery, if you win you win big.

DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
May 11, 2013, 11:02:50 AM

There comes a time when you wont get anymore than penies but you wont get paid because the minimal amount you need to get a payout is 0.1 BTC ($10 USD)  Are there any pools that have a lower limit like 0.01 USD ?

P2pool will payout your portion every time a block is found regardless of how small your share is.

Sam

Not exactly true.  The p2pool doesn't have infinite resources so the share chain only records so many shares.  If your hashing power is very low then there is a high probability you won't have any shares in the share chain at the time a block is found.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
May 11, 2013, 11:07:05 AM

Would you prefer a constant pay packet every week or the possibility of getting a years pay one day throughout the year.

Every week? If you are comparing mining to a normal job's salary then I'd actually prefer a years pay immediately. Throughout the year money loses value due to monetary inflation and goods' price inflation. Not to mention the opportunity cost of receiving the money at a later time when they could be invested into something immediately and some of the profits on that investment would be to pay off the living costs and the rest would be reinvested.

Well that wasn't an option.  Maybe an example helps. 

Your employer is willing to hire you under either one of these options:
$100K annually paid $1,923.08 a week
OR
a 1% chance each week of getting $208,000 (EV = $104K annually a 4% bonus over the salary option)

This is your only source of income which would you pick? 
On average, taking the lottery option you will get one paycheck a year but you could get more than one or none in any particularly year.

ilostcoins

Activity: 274
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 11, 2013, 01:43:01 PM

The expected return on solo is the same or very close to that with pool mining, depending on the pool you choose. So, it means bitcoin solo mining carries a MUCH higher risk (unless your hash rate is very very high) but pretty much the same expected return.

It's no wonder why most people don't do it. In normal investment, if an asset carries more risk, people require a risk premium in the expected returns.

LTC: LSyqwk4YbhBRtkrUy8NRdKXFoUcgVpu8Qb   NVC: 4HtynfYVyRYo6yM8BTAqyNYwqiucfoPqFW   TAG id: 4313
CMC: CAHrzqveVm9UxGm7PZtT4uj6su4suxKzZv   YAC: Y9m5S7M24sdkjdwxnA9GZpPez6k6EqUjUt
os2sam
Legendary

Activity: 3578
Merit: 1090

Think for yourself

View Profile
May 11, 2013, 01:54:19 PM

There comes a time when you wont get anymore than penies but you wont get paid because the minimal amount you need to get a payout is 0.1 BTC ($10 USD)  Are there any pools that have a lower limit like 0.01 USD ?

Sam

Not exactly true.  The p2pool doesn't have infinite resources so the share chain only records so many shares.  If your hashing power is very low then there is a high probability you won't have any shares in the share chain at the time a block is found.

D&T,
Thank for the info.

This is a little troubling since what is "very low" hash rate is in state of flux at the moment and soon "very low" could be measured in Ghs.

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.
Q: What is the most annoying thing on usenet and in e-mail?
gyverlb

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 11, 2013, 04:41:18 PM

This is a little troubling since what is "very low" hash rate is in state of flux at the moment and soon "very low" could be measured in Ghs.

I'd say that if your share rate is measured by a single digit Ghs, where you mine may not matter much in the coming months :-)

P2pool tuning guide
Trade BTC for €/$ at bitcoin.de (referral), it's cheaper and faster (acts as escrow and lets the buyers do bank transfers).
Tip: 17bdPfKXXvr7zETKRkPG14dEjfgBt5k2dd
Astrophysical

Activity: 41

View Profile
May 11, 2013, 11:58:04 PM

Would you prefer a constant pay packet every week or the possibility of getting a years pay one day throughout the year.

Every week? If you are comparing mining to a normal job's salary then I'd actually prefer a years pay immediately. Throughout the year money loses value due to monetary inflation and goods' price inflation. Not to mention the opportunity cost of receiving the money at a later time when they could be invested into something immediately and some of the profits on that investment would be to pay off the living costs and the rest would be reinvested.

The years pay would be on a randomly allocated day to uphold the analogy Smiley You don't get to choose when you receive it. It could be the last day of the year Tongue

exactly
jerethdaminer

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 12, 2013, 12:02:26 AM

It's simply a matter of math. Unless you have an absurd amount of computing power (way more than a few GPU's) you're just never going to find a block in a reasonable amount of time, even if the difficulty were to never change. But it is changing, and going up rapidly. It's entirely possible you would never find a block at all by solo mining when you factor in the difficulty increases. On the other hand, with a pool you're pretty much guaranteed to get something for even a modest amount of effort.

I'm pool mining with a mere 500 MH/sec and I'm getting about 0.18 BTC per week. That's not much, granted, and a lot of people will tell me how I'm wasting my time because I should just buy BTC, but I'm not mining for quick profits. I'm doing so because I like the idea of mining, I wanted to learn more about it, and I thought that it was a better way of acquiring BTC than dealing with the exchanges. I'll probably hold onto my meager earnings long-term and see where this whole Bitcoin thing goes. And I'll probably switch my GPU's to some alternate cryptocurrency when and if my BFL order ever arrives.

my thoughts exactly and more or less what i was just going to post.
Smiley
ewitte

Activity: 98

View Profile
May 12, 2013, 01:11:53 PM

Are there any pools that have a lower limit like 0.01 USD ?

deepbit and slush let you withdrawal 0.01  

there's probably some others

I typically set my payout every 5-7 days even if I only had a single 200MH/s card the payout would be higher than that.  Usually I can get 0.5BTC in 4-7 days with current hardware. 2x7950, 2x7870

Donations
BTC - 13Lgy6fb4d3nSYEf2nkgBgyBkkhPw8zkPd
LTC - LegzRwyc2Xhu8cqvaW2jwRrqSnhyaYU6gZ
Hippie Tech
aka Amenstop
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1001

All cryptos are FIAT digital currency. Do not use.

View Profile WWW
May 12, 2013, 03:19:23 PM

WARNING !! Solo mining does not constitue gambling. It is the epitime of the crypto currency movement.

In fact, when you join a pool, you are helping to centralize the hashpower of a decentralized currency. Wrap your brain around that one. ahah..

This problem can be avoided, for the most part, if pools were limited to 5% of the total network hashpower. Asic hoarders aren't helping matters much either.

edgar
Legendary

Activity: 1848

View Profile
May 13, 2013, 08:25:27 AM

so an owner of an avalon asic could actually do ok (for now) by solo mining?

maybe this explains why they are still being tested...

ewitte

Activity: 98

View Profile
May 13, 2013, 10:51:34 AM

I understand ASIC premium but I'm seeing a lot of older FPGA for sale costing near double for the hashing power in video cards lol.

Donations
BTC - 13Lgy6fb4d3nSYEf2nkgBgyBkkhPw8zkPd
LTC - LegzRwyc2Xhu8cqvaW2jwRrqSnhyaYU6gZ
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
May 13, 2013, 07:27:32 PM

Well low is relative to p2pool total hashing power.  IIRC (been a while since I did any mining) p2pool "share chain" is ~5000 shares long and with dynamic difficulty that means you would want to have at least 1/5000th of total hashing power of the pool.  That would still be a little low because due to volatility 50% of the time you would have no shares in the chain when a block was found (sometimes you would have 2+ but that doesn't reduce volatility).  With more like 1/1000th of pool hashing power most of the time (~90% of blocks) you will have at least one share in the chain.  If p2pool reached 1 terrahash then like MH/s scale miners wouldn't be very viable.  10TH/s would probably kill off most GPU miners too.

Note if p2pool uses a longer or shorter share chain now you should adjust those numbers.
Hippie Tech
aka Amenstop
Legendary

Activity: 1624

All cryptos are FIAT digital currency. Do not use.

View Profile WWW
May 14, 2013, 05:41:20 AM

I like the Ying Yang approach. heh..

You either will or won't find a block. Regardless of the odds, difficulty ect. Its 50/50.

All you have to do is try.

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: