Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 09:30:53 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 494 495 496 497 498 499 500 501 502 503 504 505 506 507 508 509 510 511 512 513 514 515 516 517 518 519 520 521 522 523 524 525 526 527 528 529 530 531 532 533 534 535 536 537 538 539 540 541 542 543 [544] 545 546 547 548 549 550 551 552 553 554 555 556 557 558 559 560 561 562 563 564 565 566 567 568 569 570 571 572 573 574 575 576 577 578 579 580 581 582 583 584 585 586 587 588 589 590 591 592 593 594 ... 1154 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [4+ EH] Slush Pool (slushpool.com); Overt AsicBoost; World First Mining Pool  (Read 4381779 times)
EasyQuest

Activity: 198
Merit: 100

Brony Bitcoin, Litecoin Miner

View Profile
July 06, 2013, 12:18:18 AM

WTF?!

18959   2013-07-05 23:07:06   7:16:44   129847576   208850   0.02894947   244996    25.26680000
18958   2013-07-05 15:50:22   3:10:51   56002768    92400    0.04145950    244940    25.33712441

What the hell is going on here? This lousy payment after nearly 130mil and over 208k shares?

Show off Wink
Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Trongersoll

Activity: 490
Merit: 501

View Profile
July 06, 2013, 12:52:28 AM

Cheers. I'll check it again tomorrow.

To be sure, my system lost connection three times. Once for a few seconds, the other for about 2 mins, and the other about 10-15 mins. Not sure if that would have cost me significantly, but I'm getting the impression not.

On long rounds like the 3+ hour ones disconnecting for a few minutes won't matter as long as it's at the beginning of the round.  Now if it's a short round or you disconnect near the end of the round then you lose out big time!  But... that's how Slush's anti-pool hopping rewards system works.

Meaning... Slush sucks so bad nowadays!

I've got over 15 USB hubs with USB sticks running. In past few weeks, already 4 adapters blown.
Everytime when 1 adapter dies, it costs me. I have to buy a new adapter, but that's normal.
It's not normal that Slush f*cks me over when one blows, or when I'm getting disconnected, or whatever problem causing hashing rate going down.
I will be looking for another pool. KUT!

It sounds like it is time for you to move on. oh, and buy better adapters.
Humax

Activity: 203

The law of the universe!

View Profile
July 06, 2013, 01:22:11 AM

It sounds like it is time for you to move on. oh, and buy better adapters.

Just finished moving and thanks for the tip lol

Well, looks I'm not the only one who experienced decline in payment after a very long or extreme short block.
While hash rate stays the same......so where does it go?

Help me feed my hamster! Donate sunflower seeds!
angryrob

Activity: 287
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 06, 2013, 01:57:16 AM

Well, looks I'm not the only one who experienced decline in payment after a very long or extreme short block.
While hash rate stays the same......so where does it go?

variance. it is a part of slush's scoring/reward system.

variance will average out over time tho.

you only mention your "decline in payment" but if you watch your numbers in slush's pool there are also "above average" payments that you receive. those are also variance.
bspurloc

Activity: 569
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 06, 2013, 04:22:11 AM

Hi, I'm mining for the first time, on Slush as it was frequently recommended. Still haven't got my head around the rewards systems. I've been running at 1.6Gh/s for about 10 hours, and the rewards are so far pretty low. I'm assuming this has to do with the scoring. How long should I wait until the reward rates are more representative?

u will be getting in the .002x per block as 1.6gh/s isnt much anymore.
bspurloc

Activity: 569
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 06, 2013, 04:26:29 AM

Cheers. I'll check it again tomorrow.

To be sure, my system lost connection three times. Once for a few seconds, the other for about 2 mins, and the other about 10-15 mins. Not sure if that would have cost me significantly, but I'm getting the impression not.

On long rounds like the 3+ hour ones disconnecting for a few minutes won't matter as long as it's at the beginning of the round.  Now if it's a short round or you disconnect near the end of the round then you lose out big time!  But... that's how Slush's anti-pool hopping rewards system works.

Meaning... Slush sucks so bad nowadays!

I've got over 15 USB hubs with USB sticks running. In past few weeks, already 4 adapters blown.
Everytime when 1 adapter dies, it costs me. I have to buy a new adapter, but that's normal.
It's not normal that Slush f*cks me over when one blows, or when I'm getting disconnected, or whatever problem causing hashing rate going down.
I will be looking for another pool. KUT!

sounds to me your equipment is effing u over not Slush. resolve your problems and dont bad mouth Slush for your problems.
Humax

The law of the universe!

View Profile
July 06, 2013, 12:52:08 PM

sounds to me your equipment is effing u over not Slush. resolve your problems and dont bad mouth Slush for your problems.

What's your problem? I got a problem with Slush's way of threating their members.
It's normal that sometimes the hash rate goes down whatever the cause is, but it is not normal that Slush will punish their members so bad!
It's already hard enough to mine some bitcoins nowadays.
I got my opinion and it got nothing to do with you! Are you their lawyer?

jcortez1594

Activity: 47
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 06, 2013, 01:12:02 PM

Sigh...I miss the days of 400MH/s giving me about 0.2btc/day. Now I'm waiting on my October upgraded Jally order to ship to hopefully get around that much.
5120-01-518-6126

Activity: 174

< My mining rig >

View Profile
July 06, 2013, 02:55:45 PM

What's your problem? I got a problem with Slush's way of threating their members.
It's normal that sometimes the hash rate goes down whatever the cause is, but it is not normal that Slush will punish their members so bad!

A few weeks ago, I was having similar problems.  I'd been mining on Slush with good results but it seemed my payouts were starting to get random, then I noticed my mining software (cgminer and bfgminer) was reporting more stale shares than previous and also began random appcrashes.  Yeah, I thought something was wrong with Slush, so I moved to another pool and things seemed to be better for a few days, then it all started happening again there.  Finally, the modem started random dropouts.

Called my DSL supplier and they sent a tech out -- found I was 450 meters further from their local switch than my high speed line rate allowed -- signal was just below borderline minimum and the modem wasn't strong enough to consistently pull it in.  After he called the central office to drop my line rate to the slower tier signal, the modem -- and my mining -- stabilized immediately.  I also immediately came back to Slush's pool.  Now, I'm waiting for more switches in my neighborhood and I'm looking for a better modem, but my only mining problem is how to add hash rate fast enough to keep up with the network.

I'm not saying you have the same problems I had, but I think 21Th/s worth of satisfied miners suggest it's not the pool that's causing whatever is wrong with your results here.  If you check out your end of things and still feel Slush's pool isn't giving you what you expect, then try the other pools.  And if there is a problem with this pool, then Slush is probably working on fixing it -- debugging software and/or adding new features takes time.
Humax

The law of the universe!

View Profile
July 06, 2013, 04:30:16 PM

A few weeks ago, I was having similar problems.  I'd been mining on Slush with good results but it seemed my payouts were starting to get random, then I noticed my mining software (cgminer and bfgminer) was reporting more stale shares than previous and also began random appcrashes.  Yeah, I thought something was wrong with Slush, so I moved to another pool and things seemed to be better for a few days, then it all started happening again there.  Finally, the modem started random dropouts.

Called my DSL supplier and they sent a tech out -- found I was 450 meters further from their local switch than my high speed line rate allowed -- signal was just below borderline minimum and the modem wasn't strong enough to consistently pull it in.  After he called the central office to drop my line rate to the slower tier signal, the modem -- and my mining -- stabilized immediately.  I also immediately came back to Slush's pool.  Now, I'm waiting for more switches in my neighborhood and I'm looking for a better modem, but my only mining problem is how to add hash rate fast enough to keep up with the network.

I'm not saying you have the same problems I had, but I think 21Th/s worth of satisfied miners suggest it's not the pool that's causing whatever is wrong with your results here.  If you check out your end of things and still feel Slush's pool isn't giving you what you expect, then try the other pools.  And if there is a problem with this pool, then Slush is probably working on fixing it -- debugging software and/or adding new features takes time.

Slush has been very reliable regarding keeping their servers online. (Their stratum server is fine compared to Guild's EU stratum.......)
In short, everything is fine with Slush except their policy to punish people hopping pools.
That's okay, but they also should consider that some people experience problems like the one you mentioned which we have no control over.
These people are getting a punished while we don't deserve that.
It happened to me several times before, when my isp is doing maintenance etc.
It's Summer now and more people will be having hardware failures due to the heat.
And the last thing we need is our pool operator kicking us while we're down by cutting our pay.
To me, this is injustice.

EasyQuest

View Profile
July 06, 2013, 04:42:37 PM

Sigh...I miss the days of 400MH/s giving me about 0.2btc/day. Now I'm waiting on my October upgraded Jally order to ship to hopefully get around that much.

Upgrade Jally meaning 7 GH/s? good lucking getting 0.20 BTC.... I get about 0.30 BTC with 13 GH/s....
logicbomb666

Activity: 260

View Profile WWW
July 06, 2013, 06:17:33 PM

Anyone know if the merged NMC mining is still working?  My NMC balance hasn't changed in weeks.

I think snare rolls should be used as a currency.
5120-01-518-6126

< My mining rig >

View Profile
July 06, 2013, 06:21:10 PM

Slush has been very reliable regarding keeping their servers online. (Their stratum server is fine compared to Guild's EU stratum.......)
In short, everything is fine with Slush except their policy to punish people hopping pools.
That's okay, but they also should consider that some people experience problems like the one you mentioned which we have no control over.
It happened to me several times before, when my isp is doing maintenance etc.
It's Summer now and more people will be having hardware failures due to the heat.
And the last thing we need is our pool operator kicking us while we're down by cutting our pay.

Ah, I understand your issue now.  From the pool's perspective, unintentional disconnects look the same as pool-hopping, but round-based pool like Slush's must have protection against pool-hoppers -- that's why Slush scores each share based on its time submitted -- round.total-score = sum(share.score + exp ((share.time-since-round-start)/c), where c is calculated based on total number of shares for the round and your shares-per-second across the round.  While it might seem that older shares are reduced in value as they age, the truth is that each share after your first one increases in value.

You are not "punished" for a disconnect.  Let's say you submitted 100 shares then dc'd for the rest of the round.  At the end of the round, those 100 shares have the same score based on when they were submitted as they would have had if you'd mined all the way through the round.  You are paid for the work you did.
5120-01-518-6126

< My mining rig >

View Profile
July 06, 2013, 06:27:08 PM

Anyone know if the merged NMC mining is still working?  My NMC balance hasn't changed in weeks.

Seems like the same question gets asked 3-4 times a day.  NMC is no longer supported by the pool.  Slush should update the Web site and post something in News.
gourmet

Activity: 311

View Profile
July 06, 2013, 06:59:03 PM

(...)
(...)

Ah, I understand your issue now.  From the pool's perspective, unintentional disconnects look the same as pool-hopping, but round-based pool like Slush's must have protection against pool-hoppers -- that's why Slush scores each share based on its time submitted -- round.total-score = sum(share.score + exp ((share.time-since-round-start)/c), where c is calculated based on total number of shares for the round and your shares-per-second across the round.  While it might seem that older shares are reduced in value as they age, the truth is that each share after your first one increases in value.

You are not "punished" for a disconnect.  Let's say you submitted 100 shares then dc'd for the rest of the round.  At the end of the round, those 100 shares have the same score based on when they were submitted as they would have had if you'd mined all the way through the round.  You are paid for the work you did.

This is not quite true.
  • To be paid for the work you did, you have to go for a PPS pool.
  • There's effectively no difference whether your new shares pay more than the old ones or the old ones pay less than the new ones.
  • Your score (value of shares) is recalculated from time to time in long rounds. The ratio of the old shares to the new ones is kept, but their absolute value is not.
These are facts to be corrected relating the quoted post.

In fact, you are punished for disconnection. You're punished exactly the same way you'd been in PPS in the long run, provided that you disconnect asynchronously, i.e. randomly.
At Slush's, you can either lose, when you disconnect near the round end, or you can gain, when you disconnect at some other time. In the latter case, your payout for the round won't be decreased due to the disconnection, although you would deserve some decrease. And as the time constant c is hopefully still 300 seconds and an average round is several times longer, it's greater chance for you to gain a bit than to lose substantial part of the reward.
Anyway, in the long run that should even out, as is the popular phrase in this thread for some time already... :-)
Tamis

Activity: 476

View Profile
July 06, 2013, 07:17:03 PM

I sadly left the pool and started litecoin mining, I get 30% more that way.

It was nice being there with you guys !

Have you seen total network ? All time record right now : Network total   244.415 Thash/s

Get ready for a difficulty increase of at least 20% in 800 blocks, thanks to asics :/

take care people !
5120-01-518-6126

< My mining rig >

View Profile
July 06, 2013, 08:10:06 PM

You are paid for the work you did.

This is not quite true.
  • To be paid for the work you did, you have to go for a PPS pool.
  • There's effectively no difference whether your new shares pay more than the old ones or the old ones pay less than the new ones.
  • Your score (value of shares) is recalculated from time to time in long rounds. The ratio of the old shares to the new ones is kept, but their absolute value is not.
These are facts to be corrected relating the quoted post.

In fact, you are punished for disconnection. You're punished exactly the same way you'd been in PPS in the long run, provided that you disconnect asynchronously, i.e. randomly.
At Slush's, you can either lose, when you disconnect near the round end, or you can gain, when you disconnect at some other time. In the latter case, your payout for the round won't be decreased due to the disconnection, although you would deserve some decrease. And as the time constant c is hopefully still 300 seconds and an average round is several times longer, it's greater chance for you to gain a bit than to lose substantial part of the reward.
Anyway, in the long run that should even out, as is the popular phrase in this thread for some time already... :-)

I meant to say you are paid for the work you did in relation to the work everyone else did at the same time, but I see your point about periodic renormalization affecting the impact of a dc.  You're also right about no difference between new paying more and old paying less -- the cup is still half full Smiley -- but I have a hard time feeling I'm being punished for my downtime when ... well ... I'm down.

5120-01-518-6126

< My mining rig >

View Profile
July 06, 2013, 08:21:00 PM

I sadly left the pool and started litecoin mining, I get 30% more that way.

It was nice being there with you guys !

Have you seen total network ? All time record right now : Network total   244.415 Thash/s

Get ready for a difficulty increase of at least 20% in 800 blocks, thanks to asics :/

take care people !

I moved my gpus over already -- wish my FPGAs had enough active memory to run scrypt while I'm waiting for my ASICs.

Good luck, maybe I'll see you in WeMineLTC pool (web: https://www.wemineltc.com/index, forum: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=169249.0).
logicbomb666

Activity: 260

View Profile WWW
July 06, 2013, 08:52:28 PM

Anyone know if the merged NMC mining is still working?  My NMC balance hasn't changed in weeks.

Seems like the same question gets asked 3-4 times a day.  NMC is no longer supported by the pool.  Slush should update the Web site and post something in News.

Thanks for your reply.

I think snare rolls should be used as a currency.
EasyQuest

View Profile
July 06, 2013, 10:27:59 PM
Last edit: July 07, 2013, 12:14:41 AM by EasyQuest

Plans of switching all GPUs to litecoin tonight while the ASICs continue to mine on slush. Boy is it going to fun tonight configuring all the cgminer to litecoin.

Update: Got first two 7970 to hash on litecoin, though one is doing 645 KH/s and other is 735 KH/s :S
Pages: « 1 ... 494 495 496 497 498 499 500 501 502 503 504 505 506 507 508 509 510 511 512 513 514 515 516 517 518 519 520 521 522 523 524 525 526 527 528 529 530 531 532 533 534 535 536 537 538 539 540 541 542 543 [544] 545 546 547 548 549 550 551 552 553 554 555 556 557 558 559 560 561 562 563 564 565 566 567 568 569 570 571 572 573 574 575 576 577 578 579 580 581 582 583 584 585 586 587 588 589 590 591 592 593 594 ... 1154 »
  Print  

Jump to: