Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 01:19:40 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: First Asic for SIA - Obelisk SC1  (Read 29186 times)
Longsnowsm

Activity: 868
Merit: 517

View Profile
May 19, 2018, 04:02:30 PM

The Inno miner specs are more efficient than anything else either announced or already shipping.  So unless you jump in with both feet and get some Inno S11 or D9's it looks like the profitability will be gone by the time the Obelisk ships.  Looks like profit is already crashing hard in just 30 days. 

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Searing
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1464

Clueless!

View Profile
May 20, 2018, 04:42:43 AM

The Inno miner specs are more efficient than anything else either announced or already shipping.  So unless you jump in with both feet and get some Inno S11 or D9's it looks like the profitability will be gone by the time the Obelisk ships.  Looks like profit is already crashing hard in just 30 days.  

well remember the ASIC's for anyone is a risk on this Bitmain, Sia-Tech, Innsilicon if you are NOT selling them as you go along and in HODL mode...the

anonymous, decentralized worldwide storage method the sia-tech devs are pushing and needed the ASIC's for, to compete as they say they want to, at

10c to $1 Amazon Cloud Storage...if that don't work or arrive on time and spec..you will have a sh*tload of ASIC's pumping out siacoin without any use...

(in that the current siacoin prices are speculative..mainly from GPU mining)

So you add that above ...with the risk of ASIC's and I'm sure not gonna get an Innsilicon siacoin miner at this point in time...

Yep, I'm out.....on the 12k I spent on the obelisk sc-1's ...I figure I needed to get around $4k back in mining siacoin at least to break even on what I would

have paid the tax man in 2017 (IRS and state) and the 25% equip deduction you can take off (all) off taxes you owe that year...

always figured I'd be out of pow-scrypt mining by going 'too many units too far' have done this since Nov 8th, 2014 with 300mh KNC Titan....so

this is likely all she wrote for that and for these obelisk units...

what is interesting is I swap'd 5 coupons (1/2 off) for 1 decred miner (used 1 coupon and the $800 covered)

by interesting is this...by August 15th was it? on 2nd batch was it? decred miners...will even that unit be worth 'yanking' out of the box?

by then, could I even make enough over electric to turn it on?

so yeah, seems my days of ASIC miners in more than a quantity of TWO in my basement (with winter heat) ..ie hobby mode is as far as I'm gonna go now

ah well, it was a good run 3 1/2 years...and my BTC and LTC and other alt hoards are all from mining

I really can't bitch much...but the Decred miner not even likely ROI'ing that is just silly, in that it is free....but seems likely not to ROI IMHO either

well....looks like ALL my last units of ANY ASIC FLAVOR OF COIN ...is gonna be shut off by July 4th 2018....sh*t...

Old Style Legacy Plug & Play BBS System. Get it from www.synchro.net. Updated 1/1/2021. It also works with Windows 10 and likely 11 and allows 16 bit DOS game doors on the same Win 10 Machine in Multi-Node! Five Minute Install! Look it over it uninstalls just as fast, if you simply want to look it over. Freeware! Full BBS System! It is a frigging hoot!:)
lunobird

Activity: 846
Merit: 115

View Profile
May 20, 2018, 07:21:35 AM

The Inno miner specs are more efficient than anything else either announced or already shipping.  So unless you jump in with both feet and get some Inno S11 or D9's it looks like the profitability will be gone by the time the Obelisk ships.  Looks like profit is already crashing hard in just 30 days.  

well remember the ASIC's for anyone is a risk on this Bitmain, Sia-Tech, Innsilicon if you are NOT selling them as you go along and in HODL mode...the

anonymous, decentralized worldwide storage method the sia-tech devs are pushing and needed the ASIC's for, to compete as they say they want to, at

10c to $1 Amazon Cloud Storage...if that don't work or arrive on time and spec..you will have a sh*tload of ASIC's pumping out siacoin without any use...

So you add that above ...with the risk of ASIC's and I'm sure not gonna get an Innsilicon siacoin miner at this point in time...

Yep, I'm out.....on the 12k I spent on the obelisk sc-1's ...I figure I needed to get around $4k back in mining siacoin at least to break even on what I would

have paid the tax man in 2017 (IRS and state) and the 25% equip deduction you can take off (all) off taxes you owe that year...

always figured I'd be out of pow-scrypt mining by going 'too many units too far' have done this since Nov 8th, 2014 with 300mh KNC Titan....so

what is interesting is I swap'd 5 coupons (1/2 off) for 1 decred miner (used 1 coupon and the $800 covered)

by interesting is this...by August 15th was it? on 2nd batch was it? decred miners...will even that unit be worth 'yanking' out of the box?

so yeah, seems my days of ASIC miners in more than a quantity of TWO in my basement (with winter heat) ..ie hobby mode is as far as I'm gonna go now

ah well, it was a good run 3 1/2 years...and my BTC and LTC and other alt hoards are all from mining

I really can't bitch much...but the Decred miner not even likely ROI'ing that is just silly, in that it is free....but seems likely not to ROI IMHO either

well....looks like ALL my last units of ANY ASIC FLAVOR OF COIN ...is gonna be shut off by July 4th 2018....sh*t...

Time to quit mining and just buy coins. Morre profitable and less work.
Searing
Copper Member
Legendary

Clueless!

View Profile
May 20, 2018, 06:56:46 PM

Time to quit mining and just buy coins. Morre profitable and less work.

Not worth the risk IMHO, with the ASIC mess they have and the amount of ASIC's mining siacoin for use on a decentralized network and anonymous and supposedly

at 10c per $1 Amazon Cloud prices..that does not 'yet exist' in any way or shape to manage the amount of ASIC power going to pump out these siacoins

(I was told between 25% to 30% total coin inflation a month, when the ASIC's hit in force) ...I see the price of siacoin dumping 'big time' even if they got

the network up as they plan

but, not gonna bet above and beyond the 'failed' asic bet on sia-tech...the likelyhood IMHO is they will have the hardware sit around and be waiting on the

network ..further complicating this all with massive amounts of siacoin...in an unusable state (except for speculation...which will dry up IMHO when the

mass of ASIC's hit the siacoin world)

so not gonna jump in and buy siacoin before a working network they have planned...just would be silly IMHO, I bet on the asic's and the network and we

now have 10x the asic machines sia-tech planned for...thus not looking wise to jump in now and buy siacoin in my view

Old Style Legacy Plug & Play BBS System. Get it from www.synchro.net. Updated 1/1/2021. It also works with Windows 10 and likely 11 and allows 16 bit DOS game doors on the same Win 10 Machine in Multi-Node! Five Minute Install! Look it over it uninstalls just as fast, if you simply want to look it over. Freeware! Full BBS System! It is a frigging hoot!:)
Branko

Activity: 2450
Merit: 318

View Profile
May 20, 2018, 09:26:41 PM

Not worth the risk IMHO, with the ASIC mess they have and the amount of ASIC's mining siacoin for use on a decentralized network and anonymous and supposedly

at 10c per $1 Amazon Cloud prices..that does not 'yet exist' in any way or shape to manage the amount of ASIC power going to pump out these siacoins

(I was told between 25% to 30% total coin inflation a month, when the ASIC's hit in force) ...I see the price of siacoin dumping 'big time' even if they got

but, not gonna bet above and beyond the 'failed' asic bet on sia-tech...the likelyhood IMHO is they will have the hardware sit around and be waiting on the

network ..further complicating this all with massive amounts of siacoin...in an unusable state (except for speculation...which will dry up IMHO when the

so not gonna jump in and buy siacoin before a working network they have planned...just would be silly IMHO, I bet on the asic's and the network and we

now have 10x the asic machines sia-tech planned for...thus not looking wise to jump in now and buy siacoin in my view

So, unlike all other blockchains, amount of SIA coins mined depend on network hashing power?
So far I thought they're like every other blockchain in that matter
Searing
Copper Member
Legendary

Clueless!

View Profile
May 20, 2018, 10:24:19 PM

So, unlike all other blockchains, amount of SIA coins mined depend on network hashing power?
So far I thought they're like every other blockchain in that matter

From what I understand..they needed the ASIC's for the network security..and under original obelisk sc-1 only units....they would provide about 25-30%

amount of siacoins added a month, to the existing siacoin coin stash, to use as tokens and method of use for the anonymous decentralized storage solution at a price

(hopeful) of only 10c to Amazon's $1 in cost ...as a comparison....of what they are trying to achieve with cloud storage/siacoin and ASIC's...

So if that is the case, holding siacoin is pointless (speculation of price on the amount of coin available) So from what I can tell....right now you have 10x

the ASIC power that sia-tech was gonna put out as a 1st batch...you don't have this network cloud storage solution up yet...

so it is all very iffy from what I can see...so I'm out...

but betting on siacoin prices without their network anonymous storage solution and undercutting Amazon Cloud prices....well.....looks like they

have an overabundance of ASIC's to make siacoin ...but nothing to use it with for such a network, in the near future...thus the price IMHO will dump badly

unless resolved

again, I got the 5 obelisk sc-1 units on a bet that the network would work and their ASIC's would be the driver..of this cloud solution...now it seems there are 10x more

ASIC's by the time siacoin network comes out..assuming in a time frame that kinda matches overabundance of blake2b miners...they need...

just don't see how this thing is gonna get off the ground without the price of siacoin bottoming out....with all the ASIC siacoin mining (and dumping

they have to pay electric)

anyway, in my view odds are slim to none this will work out in a manner where all the pieces will come together correctly and quickly ...again IMHO

(what do I know I got 5 of the obelisk sc-1 siacoin doorstops)

thus, not betting on the network they want for cloud mining being 'robust' enough out of the gate with use and capacity ..to overcome the 'glut' of

blake2b ASIC miners that will be out in the world by then....too fat to fly ...in my view

brad

Longsnowsm

View Profile
July 06, 2018, 03:15:03 PM

Just saw the email update from Obelisk.  I hate to say it, but the horse already left the barn while they were out getting hammers and nails to secure the door.  Unless there is some scheme to flip the algo and have just the Obelisk watching the network I don't know that there is a point for this anymore.  Is there some grand insight that I am missing here?
Hildy

Activity: 24
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 06, 2018, 03:42:26 PM

Did the e-mail state when the first batch will be shipping out? I'm ready to start mining space cash but I think hyperspace is waiting for the obelisk units to ship.
Longsnowsm

View Profile
July 06, 2018, 04:44:30 PM

Did the e-mail state when the first batch will be shipping out? I'm ready to start mining space cash but I think hyperspace is waiting for the obelisk units to ship.

They state they are targeting July 16th as the beginning of shipments. They stated they are still working out firmware and how to do firmware updates.  So they appear to be rushing to get these out.
Hildy

Activity: 24
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 06, 2018, 04:50:50 PM

Cool thanks for the update
hanskan

Activity: 336
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 06, 2018, 05:44:22 PM

boy i'm i glad that i didn't order any
Searing
Copper Member
Legendary

Clueless!

View Profile
July 06, 2018, 06:32:58 PM

You got that right! In my case I took a 33% hit after what I would have paid in IRS and State Taxes and the Equipment Deduction in 2017...Still sucks.

My only other 'comfort' is I likely would have HODL BTC anyway, so at a 'real' 1.11 BTC loss...it is kinda 'meh' at this point this year. (I have 5 in the wind)

IF they would have forked the coin 'away' from Bitmain, we MAY have had a shot at profit...but without that and current prices and in my view the unlikelyhood of

them having the 'vision' of the decentralized network to compete against Amazon Cloud available (you'd think you'd here something in the press if that was coming)

ie...doorstops indeed!

Below is the price as of this moment you would make on an Obelisk Sc-1 today. Using What to Mine Calculator at https://whattomine.com/ for those who

want to put in their own electrical rates (rather than my 'ugly' 14c kWh)

OK. So to move on, at what an Obelisk SC-1 is supposed to work at, 800gh and 500 watts at my HIGH 14c kWh, I get the following:

$2.91 a day. The electrical use is $1.68 per day. The profit per day (as of this moment) is $1.23 per day.

I also got the email below from Obelisk...saying how HARD they are working, usually you get such emails from ASIC folk, when it is unlikely to make the deadline on shipping. (July 15th,

2018).

The Obelisk Email received below.

Quote:

Delivery Update

Quick update on deliveries: we have made a lot of progress, and everything will be arriving at our manufacturers next week: bare PCBs to assemble into hashing boards, production ASICs, power supplies, fans, and more. We will start assembling units next week, and aim to start shipping to customers on the week of July 16. It will take about two weeks to build and ship all Batch 1 units.

We will have hashing boards with production chips assembled on Monday, and will be immediately testing for hashrate. We will update you as soon as we have hashrate figures. We will also send out a more complete long-form update at the end of next week.

Our main challenge right now is firmware, and our team is working diligently to complete and test the firmware. After shipping, we will continue to release firmware updates that should further improve unit performance.

Thank you so much for your support! Please let us know if you have any questions.

Best,

- Team Obelisk

Copyright © 2018 Obelisk, Inc. All rights reserved.

Unquote

Thus on (1) OBELISK at my ugly, high, 14c kWh electrical I would make $1.23 per day or $36.90 per month. This is 'hardly' encouraging IF they do not have the 'supposed'

decentralized network available from siacoin as their vision of storage, up and ready to go. Gonna be a lot of ASIC's (less the Bitmain units which are already too expensive to

run) driving up siacoin difficulty...thus, if price of siacoin is based on 1) scarcity and 2) the belief in the siacoin storage method....IMHO, the price is gonna take a big hit,

and we are gonna have a crap load of siacoin from these ASIC's with no other use on top of a complete price dump.

Of, course, if they are 'late' on shipping the Obelisk Units..say August 2018, it may not matter. They may never be profitable enough to run and simply stay in the box.

But I find in it interesting on how Sia-Tech has not been talking about 1) if their network is ready and 2) from the email, the likelihood of another delay on shipping.

Again, when your Obelisk's arrive, be sure to leave them 'unopened' in the cardboard box, they will work much better as 'doorstops' within the box, due to the slippery

nature of cardboard...

live and learn

brad

Searing
Copper Member
Legendary

Clueless!

View Profile
July 12, 2018, 01:44:59 AM

Well, without the Siacoin decentralized network at 10c to $1.00 Amazon Cloud Storage, which is centralized storage, well, not looking good.

A 500gh 800-watt Siacoin Obelisk Sc-1 Blake2b Siacoin unit will make 229.22 Siacoin per day. According to what to mine calculator what to mine (see below) at 800gh and

500 watts and at 14c kWh, that comes out to $1.68 per day in electric and $0.77 per day of profit. This, of course, is today's price, without

all the supposed ASIC's hitting the Siacoin network within (supposedly) the next 2 weeks.

here is the miner calculator from what to mine. (below)

https://whattomine.com/asic?utf8=%E2%9C%93&factor%5Bsha256_hr%5D=14000.0&factor%5Bsha256_p%5D=1370.0&factor%5Bscrypt_hash_rate%5D=1000.0&factor%5Bscrypt_power%5D=1600.0&factor%5Bx11_hr%5D=34000.0&factor%5Bx11_p%5D=2100.0&bk2bf=true&factor%5Bbk2b_hr%5D=800&factor%5Bbk2b_p%5D=500&factor%5Bqk_hr%5D=3300.0&factor%5Bqk_p%5D=120.0&factor%5Bqb_hr%5D=3300.0&factor%5Bqb_p%5D=130.0&factor%5Bmg_hr%5D=3.3&factor%5Bmg_p%5D=50.0&factor%5Bsk_hr%5D=1.7&factor%5Bsk_p%5D=40.0&factor%5Blbry_hr%5D=20.0&factor%5Blbry_p%5D=200.0&factor%5Bbk14_hr%5D=80.0&factor%5Bbk14_p%5D=205.0&factor%5Bpas_hr%5D=20.0&factor%5Bpas_p%5D=105.0&factor%5Bx11g_hr%5D=0.45&factor%5Bx11g_p%5D=70.0&factor%5Bcn_hr%5D=55.0&factor%5Bcn_p%5D=140.0&factor%5Bcost%5D=0.14&sort=Profitability24&volume=0&revenue=24h&factor%5Bexchanges%5D%5B%5D=&factor%5Bexchanges%5D%5B%5D=binance&factor%5Bexchanges%5D%5B%5D=bitfinex&factor%5Bexchanges%5D%5B%5D=bittrex&factor%5Bexchanges%5D%5B%5D=cryptobridge&factor%5Bexchanges%5D%5B%5D=cryptopia&factor%5Bexchanges%5D%5B%5D=hitbtc&factor%5Bexchanges%5D%5B%5D=poloniex&factor%5Bexchanges%5D%5B%5D=yobit&dataset=&commit=Calculate

this looks like it is gonna end badly unless I'm missing something internal to the ASIC Obelisk Units and/or mining. It is just that at $1.68 in electric and a $0.77c kWh profit per

day...seems hardly the worth to toss them up in the basement (you guessed it, my home also is at 14c kWh)

Thus, again, leave them in the cardboard boxes, unopened, to use as doorstops, I guess.

what a cluster (assuming they deliver, assuming they have the decentralized network they have can handle the dump of Obelisk's in the next 2 weeks..again, not even worth

my time, to set them up yet.0

Again, hardly encouraging, unless some side action associated with the Obelisk Miners come to pass. As it looks now, with no up and running

decentralized storage network to compete with Amazon's Centralized Cloud and/also the current crypto prices, I guess they just stay in the box Sad

Anyone, see any rainbows/unicorns and Santa in this, let me know, I'd like to be dead wrong., but it is looking like by end of the month when these ship, they will

never see the light of day. (at least at my 14c kWh rates at both the data hall with rent and my home)

later

brad

Eyedol-X

Activity: 952
Merit: 508

View Profile
July 12, 2018, 01:50:57 AM
Merited by Searing (1)

Well, without the Siacoin decentralized network at 10c to $1.00 Amazon Cloud Storage, which is centralized storage, well, not looking good.

A 500gh 800-watt Siacoin Obelisk Sc-1 Blake2b Siacoin unit will make 229.22 a day. According to what to mine calculator what to mine (see below) at 800gh and

500 watts and at 14c kWh, that comes out to $1.68 per day in electric and $0.77 per day of profit. This, of course, is today's price, without

all the supposed ASIC's hitting the Siacoin network within (supposedly) the next 2 weeks.

this looks like it is gonna end badly unless I'm missing something internal to the ASIC Obelisk Units and/or mining. It is just that at $1.68 in electric and a $0.77c kWh profit per

day...seems hardly the worth to toss them up in the basement (you guessed it, my home also is at 14c kWh)

Thus, again, leave them in the cardboard boxes, unopened, to use as doorstops, I guess.

what a cluster (assuming they deliver, assuming they have the decentralized network they have can handle the dump of Obelisk's in the next 2 weeks..again, not even worth

Again, hardly encouraging, unless some side action associated with the Obelisk Miners come to pass. As it looks now, with no up and running

decentralized storage network to compete with Amazon's Centralized Cloud and/also the current crypto prices, I guess they just stay in the box Sad

Anyone,see any rainbows/unicorns and Santa in this, let me know, I'd like to be dead wrong., but it is looking like by end of the month when these ship, they will

never see the light of day. (at least at my 14c kwh rates at both the data hall with rent and my home)

later

brad

Yeah I got a couple coming and see the math as well, part of me secretly hope that SIA forks the network after the obelisk hits (would be a amazingly-well kept secret if they did) or they have massively understated their hashrates to throw off competitors but this would also be an amazingly-well kept secret if they did.
Searing
Copper Member
Legendary

Clueless!

View Profile
July 12, 2018, 01:56:57 AM

A 500gh 800-watt Siacoin Obelisk Sc-1 Blake2b Siacoin unit will make 229.22 a day. According to what to mine calculator what to mine (see below) at 800gh and

https://whattomine.com/asic?utf8=%E2%9C%93&factor%5Bsha256_hr%5D=14000.0&factor%5Bsha256_p%5D=1370.0&factor%5Bscrypt_hash_rate%5D=1000.0&factor%5Bscrypt_power%5D=1600.0&factor%5Bx11_hr%5D=34000.0&factor%5Bx11_p%5D=2100.0&bk2bf=true&factor%5Bbk2b_hr%5D=800&factor%5Bbk2b_p%5D=500&factor%5Bqk_hr%5D=3300.0&factor%5Bqk_p%5D=120.0&factor%5Bqb_hr%5D=3300.0&factor%5Bqb_p%5D=130.0&factor%5Bmg_hr%5D=3.3&factor%5Bmg_p%5D=50.0&factor%5Bsk_hr%5D=1.7&factor%5Bsk_p%5D=40.0&factor%5Blbry_hr%5D=20.0&factor%5Blbry_p%5D=200.0&factor%5Bbk14_hr%5D=80.0&factor%5Bbk14_p%5D=205.0&factor%5Bpas_hr%5D=20.0&factor%5Bpas_p%5D=105.0&factor%5Bx11g_hr%5D=0.45&factor%5Bx11g_p%5D=70.0&factor%5Bcn_hr%5D=55.0&factor%5Bcn_p%5D=140.0&factor%5Bcost%5D=0.14&sort=Profitability24&volume=0&revenue=24h&factor%5Bexchanges%5D%5B%5D=&factor%5Bexchanges%5D%5B%5D=binance&factor%5Bexchanges%5D%5B%5D=bitfinex&factor%5Bexchanges%5D%5B%5D=bittrex&factor%5Bexchanges%5D%5B%5D=cryptobridge&factor%5Bexchanges%5D%5B%5D=cryptopia&factor%5Bexchanges%5D%5B%5D=hitbtc&factor%5Bexchanges%5D%5B%5D=poloniex&factor%5Bexchanges%5D%5B%5D=yobit&dataset=&commit=Calculate

Anyone,see any rainbows/unicorns and Santa in this, let me know, I'd like to be dead wrong., but it is looking like by end of the month when these ship, they will

never see the light of day. (at least at my 14c kwh rates at both the data hall with rent and my home)

later

brad

Yeah I got a couple coming and see the math as well, part of me secretly hope that SIA forks the network after the obelisk hits (would be a amazingly-well kept secret if they did) or they have massively understated their hashrates to throw off competitors but this would also be an amazingly-well kept secret if they did.

ASSUMING (big assumption here) they at LEAST had the decentralized ASIC Obelisk Sc-1 network up and ready to accept these ASIC's for the purposes of security and coin management

for this decentralized storage network...to compete against Amazon and its centralized cloud storage, at $1 vs 10c per dollar as Sia-Tech claimed for needing ASIC's. Well, there might

be SOME hope. But just to have a bunch of ASIC's without the above in place, means a crap load of Siacoin mined, the difficulty goes up massively and if the current price of Siacoin is

like other altcoins and some/most? maybe based on 'scarcity' and/or price also is based on the above-decentralized storage network vision...well, we are doomed...because you can't

have current prices based on scarcity and the hope of this storage solution and have these ASIC's hit the world...poof..coin is worth nothing, you have no network, the project fails

before it starts, because they did not time their vision with the ASIC's and did not also remember the project itself is also reflected in Siacoin's current price...not just the scarcity.

Not looking good at all, I have not even 'bothered' to wire the bsmt up for these extra units, why bother if they are doorstops?

brad

nsummy

Activity: 1178
Merit: 131

View Profile
July 12, 2018, 03:54:45 AM

You got that right! In my case I took a 33% hit after what I would have paid in IRS and State Taxes and the Equipment Deduction in 2017...Still sucks.

My only other 'comfort' is I likely would have HODL BTC anyway, so at a 'real' 1.11 BTC loss...it is kinda 'meh' at this point this year. (I have 5 in the wind)

IF they would have forked the coin 'away' from Bitmain, we MAY have had a shot at profit...but without that and current prices and in my view the unlikelyhood of

them having the 'vision' of the decentralized network to compete against Amazon Cloud available (you'd think you'd here something in the press if that was coming)

ie...doorstops indeed!

Below is the price as of this moment you would make on an Obelisk Sc-1 today. Using What to Mine Calculator at https://whattomine.com/ for those who

OK. So to move on, at what an Obelisk SC-1 is supposed to work at, 800gh and 500 watts at my HIGH 14c kWh, I get the following:

$2.91 a day. The electrical use is $1.68 per day. The profit per day (as of this moment) is $1.23 per day.

I also got the email below from Obelisk...saying how HARD they are working, usually you get such emails from ASIC folk, when it is unlikely to make the deadline on shipping. (July 15th,

2018).

Quote:

Delivery Update

Quick update on deliveries: we have made a lot of progress, and everything will be arriving at our manufacturers next week: bare PCBs to assemble into hashing boards, production ASICs, power supplies, fans, and more. We will start assembling units next week, and aim to start shipping to customers on the week of July 16. It will take about two weeks to build and ship all Batch 1 units.

We will have hashing boards with production chips assembled on Monday, and will be immediately testing for hashrate. We will update you as soon as we have hashrate figures. We will also send out a more complete long-form update at the end of next week.

Our main challenge right now is firmware, and our team is working diligently to complete and test the firmware. After shipping, we will continue to release firmware updates that should further improve unit performance.

Thank you so much for your support! Please let us know if you have any questions.

Best,

- Team Obelisk

Unquote

Thus on (1) OBELISK at my ugly, high, 14c kWh electrical I would make $1.23 per day or $36.90 per month. This is 'hardly' encouraging IF they do not have the 'supposed'

decentralized network available from siacoin as their vision of storage, up and ready to go. Gonna be a lot of ASIC's (less the Bitmain units which are already too expensive to

run) driving up siacoin difficulty...thus, if price of siacoin is based on 1) scarcity and 2) the belief in the siacoin storage method....IMHO, the price is gonna take a big hit,

and we are gonna have a crap load of siacoin from these ASIC's with no other use on top of a complete price dump.

Of, course, if they are 'late' on shipping the Obelisk Units..say August 2018, it may not matter. They may never be profitable enough to run and simply stay in the box.

But I find in it interesting on how Sia-Tech has not been talking about 1) if their network is ready and 2) from the email, the likelihood of another delay on shipping.

Again, when your Obelisk's arrive, be sure to leave them 'unopened' in the cardboard box, they will work much better as 'doorstops' within the box, due to the slippery

nature of cardboard...

live and learn

brad

If it makes you feel better at 14 cents KWH you would be losing money with an S9.

I didn't order one of these but honestly what I think Obelisk should have done was simply cut their losses and refund everyone the money they hadn't spent.  Obviously some went to development but if these things still aren't released yet its not like they spent it all.
Searing
Copper Member
Legendary

Clueless!

View Profile
July 12, 2018, 06:26:28 PM
Last edit: July 12, 2018, 06:39:16 PM by Searing

ie...doorstops indeed!

2018).

Quote:

Delivery Update

Best,

- Team Obelisk

Unquote

nature of cardboard...

live and learn

brad

If it makes you feel better at 14 cents KWH you would be losing money with an S9.

I didn't order one of these but honestly what I think Obelisk should have done was simply cut their losses and refund everyone the money they hadn't spent.  Obviously some went to development but if these things still aren't released yet its not like they spent it all.

No ..the reason to fork the coin made perfect sense, back when Bitmain made blake2b miners, the catch is what Sia-Tech made in Bitcoin at the height of prices in 2017, probably

allowed them to completely make all their investment back on the development of these miners and their production...with BTC left over. So their ass was covered, why worry about

those that bought into them needing the ASIC's for their decentralized network. IF it was all about the network, they would have simply forked. But again, I suspect they were

heavily invested in Siacoin 'despite' what they say about price not mattering...and got their ass covered by the BTC kept and held from these ASIC's. If this is 'not' the case,

the sensible thing was to 'fork' and use these new tokens with their own equipment for control of their own network. The only way that makes sense that they did not fork and

let Bitmain and others call the shots, as a result, their entire concept is tied to Siacoin and the current price, based on scarcity and their network vision working...and it looks

like the whole works is gonna come undone, when the ASIC's ship, again IMHO...but hey, they made their money on Siacoin and the BTC from the Obelisks and have enough

for their high paying jobs etc....there are lots of products like this...don't matter if they fail (every ICO ever made as an example) if all the 'risk' is at the front end, and the

actual idea or product does not work at the other end....a shift of risk as it was to others....anyway, what it is looking like to me anyway. Anyone who wants to prove to

me otherwise, I'd like an explanation on why they let Bitmain determine their fate and as you say 'why'we're not at least partially refunded...but that is not how

things work in crypto world.

Me, I'm down about 1.11 BTC total after equipment deductions and what I'd have paid in taxes in 2017 anyway, (41% with state tax and the additional 25% equipment deduction of gross

income on taxes to be paid)....so hell I would have probably held the BTC anyway, so down about 6.6K, If I'd have held ... or about $4,133.11 USD. The catch is my risk was 34% I (silly me)

thought, that I could probably at least

mine enough Siacoin to make some back, if I was wrong.

Also, I could ship these miners to someplace at 8.5c kWh, but on a 6 month pre-pay and 100 bucks a miner to setup ...would you? Give it a couple months of all those

ASIC's driving up the difficulty (assuming some can keep them up at 8.5c kWh prices or below) at best ..this is gonna be a 3-month miner spree before everyone shuts them off.

UNLESS

they actually do fork the coin or the actually do have the network ready to go on these ASIC machines and some kind of strategy...at this point .supposedly 1 week from

shipping and hearing no hype about how they are going to attack and give grief to Amazon's Cloud Storage for 10c on the $1, compared to them...I don't see it.

Also, they are NOT going to make the deadline for shipping ASIC's, we are going to be looking at the 1st week and beyond in August 2018 or worse

again, no issues..this boat has sunk.....ie....doorstops... (at least shipping is included)

by the by ...do we get a separate PSU or is the PSU in the device? I'm unclear on that...maybe I may get some PSU's out of this...but again, nothing said and from the

design, I assume they fudged on that as well and you have to use your own PSU.

oh well, in the great scheme of things and the pump and dump of BTC in 2017..it is not my major mistake of 2017...not even close!

brad

Eyedol-X

Activity: 952
Merit: 508

View Profile
July 12, 2018, 07:52:32 PM

All I want is SIA to stay alive, I bought a couple Obelisks and even a Minebox to support the network.

If SIA can make what they envision work, it's only time before profits can be made.

It's a big IF but I'm happy to wait and see what happens.
Searing
Copper Member
Legendary

Clueless!

View Profile
July 13, 2018, 03:28:31 AM

All I want is SIA to stay alive, I bought a couple Obelisks and even a Minebox to support the network.

If SIA can make what they envision work, it's only time before profits can be made.

My problem is the deafening silence of them with the ASIC's supposedly released next week..

also, the minerbox was late right?

Are you making even enough with the minerbox to cover electric at least? (grasping at straws here)

want to be wrong but:

1) vague email about how hard they are 'trying' to get the Obelisk units out...2 weeks before they come out (sounds like a stall for being late)

2) no INFO on how they plan to compete against Amazon cloud at their 10c to $1 difference in price and centralized vs decentralized sia-tec vision...where is the hype?
    do they expect JUST to turn on the ASIC's and Amazon Cloud just rolls over and dies? No one using this kind of storage in mass every got fired for using Amazon Cloud.
    so how do they get market share with NO noise...(ie deafening silence on this)

3) and of course the fact that current siacoin price it is IFFY if they are even worth turning on...def not worth paying shipping and setup and data hall rates IMHO

whatever, we will be the first to know...I guess

brad

nsummy

Activity: 1178
Merit: 131

View Profile
July 13, 2018, 05:11:34 AM

My problem is the deafening silence of them with the ASIC's supposedly released next week..

also, the minerbox was late right?

Are you making even enough with the minerbox to cover electric at least? (grasping at straws here)

want to be wrong but:

1) vague email about how hard they are 'trying' to get the Obelisk units out...2 weeks before they come out (sounds like a stall for being late)

2) no INFO on how they plan to compete against Amazon cloud at their 10c to $1 difference in price and centralized vs decentralized sia-tec vision...where is the hype?
    do they expect JUST to turn on the ASIC's and Amazon Cloud just rolls over and dies? No one using this kind of storage in mass every got fired for using Amazon Cloud.
    so how do they get market share with NO noise...(ie deafening silence on this)

3) and of course the fact that current siacoin price it is IFFY if they are even worth turning on...def not worth paying shipping and setup and data hall rates IMHO

whatever, we will be the first to know...I guess

brad

Minerbox is unaffiliated with the SIA team.  Essentially all it is a proliant microserver:  https://www.hpe.com/us/en/product-catalog/servers/proliant-servers/pip.models.hpe-proliant-microserver-gen10.1009955118.html    With a supposedly modified version of Rockstor: http://rockstor.com/

When I say supposedly modified, I think the only modification is adding the sia wallet and automatically setting it up for you to share storage.

I can't speak for OP but I'll let you take a look at the current pricing and decide for yourself if it looks profitable lol:  https://siastats.info/storage_pricing
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: