Bitcoin Forum
September 04, 2024, 03:18:23 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.1 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Saving Bitcoin to USB for security purposes.  (Read 2995 times)
WorrenBuffert (OP)

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 01:51:52 AM

I think it's better not to put all your egg into one basket. You should have two, three or four wallets and you should put your coin into all those wallets too.

Good Idea. I'll just make a new wallet.dat every time my wallet gets up to like 5-10btc or something. Then I can have a drawer full of USB sticks with 5-10btc on each one.

Anyone got some tips on how to make sure my computer/wallet doesn't get compromised. Is Norton internet security going to be enough to protect me? Should I have a dedicated computer to only deal with bit coin transactions and use it for nothing else?
seniorcitizen

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 02:15:35 AM

You might want to consider encrypting your wallet and putting it into an encrypted container before putting it on the usb stick. An alternative is encrypting your wallet in an encrypted container and uploading it cloud storage so there is no risk of losing the usb stick.
zero3112

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 02:43:06 AM

+1

Stack

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 02:48:46 AM

I think it's better not to put all your egg into one basket. You should have two, three or four wallets and you should put your coin into all those wallets too.

Good Idea. I'll just make a new wallet.dat every time my wallet gets up to like 5-10btc or something. Then I can have a drawer full of USB sticks with 5-10btc on each one.

Anyone got some tips on how to make sure my computer/wallet doesn't get compromised. Is Norton internet security going to be enough to protect me? Should I have a dedicated computer to only deal with bit coin transactions and use it for nothing else?

If this is what you intend on doing, you should also dump them all onto an external drive, or a second usb stick (use some sort of labelling convention so you can match them up).
And store it in a seperate room/drawer as a backup. It would be a shame if an environmental factor destroyed or corrupted all of your usb drives.

sgh858

Activity: 152
Merit: 100

GMP Project Team

View Profile WWW
May 08, 2013, 02:58:01 AM

You might want to consider encrypting your wallet and putting it into an encrypted container before putting it on the usb stick. An alternative is encrypting your wallet in an encrypted container and uploading it cloud storage so there is no risk of losing the usb stick.

I actually did this, in a little different way. I emailed myself the container in the attachment Smiley.

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: