Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 11:47:48 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: what can i mine with a Amd 7970  (Read 2000 times)
Apolo.- (OP)

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 12, 2017, 11:21:17 PM

Hello, i have a Amd 7970 3gb vram gpu, i mine eth but only generates 14 mh/s, what can i mine with this gpu and get good hashrate?

Thank you for the help
In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
iamnoobplzhelp

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 12, 2017, 11:25:23 PM

Mining a different coin won't give you a better hash rate; it's the card that has the low hash rate.

14mh/s sounds about right. You'll need a better card if you want higher mh/s.
Apolo.- (OP)

View Profile
June 12, 2017, 11:37:15 PM

They adviced me to mine a coin with a smaller DAC, to have a better mining profit, but i don´t know wich one.

On the other side i saw people with r280x that can obtain 25 Mhs with their gpus, but i don´t know where is the difference.

I´m buying Rx570 gpu to mine, but i want to use the ones i have, if that can be done.

Thank you
iamnoobplzhelp

View Profile
June 12, 2017, 11:45:48 PM

At some point 3GB cards won't be able to mine Ethereum, but it still can. It won't affect the hash rates.

After that, you can mine some other coins with smaller DAGs.
th00ber

Activity: 789
Merit: 501

View Profile
June 12, 2017, 11:48:57 PM

They adviced me to mine a coin with a smaller DAC, to have a better mining profit, but i don´t know wich one.

On the other side i saw people with r280x that can obtain 25 Mhs with their gpus, but i don´t know where is the difference.

I´m buying Rx570 gpu to mine, but i want to use the ones i have, if that can be done.

Thank you

Your card's memory controller is actually the problem - as the DAG grows, even though it can fit it in its RAM, it gets slower and slower at random access. This does not occur with GCN 2 and newer GPUs.
That's why 79xx are DAG size sensitive.

They are still good on some algo like equihash
iamnoobplzhelp

View Profile
June 12, 2017, 11:50:05 PM

Thank you

Your card's memory controller is actually the problem - as the DAG grows, even though it can fit it in its RAM, it gets slower and slower at random access. This does not occur with GCN 2 and newer GPUs.
That's why 79xx are DAG size sensitive.

They are still good on some algo like equihash

Ah, I did not know this. Thanks for the clarification!
fury420

Activity: 51

View Profile
June 12, 2017, 11:54:00 PM

Thank you

That advice was 100% correct for Tahiti cards.

Mining an ETH-based altcoin (MusicCoin, Ubiq, EXP) that was launched more recently means the DAG size is smaller, and thus postpones the TLB thrashing issue that caused 7970/280 on ETH to slow from ~26mh to ~14mh over the past year and a half.

ZEC is also a good option.
YIz

Activity: 686
Merit: 502

View Profile
June 13, 2017, 12:00:13 AM

Stick to Zcash, best profitability with Tahiti chips, especially if you have cheap electricity.
Apolo.- (OP)

View Profile
June 13, 2017, 11:43:47 AM

thank you all for the advices, i will try and tell how it worked
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
June 13, 2017, 03:47:17 PM

ZEC, or join the dark side and come to GRC via the Milkyway BOINC project (Tahiti chips are VERY good for DP Floating Point work which Milkyway needs).

Tahiti was never a good ETH choice except when you didn't have any other profitable alternatives.

R9 280x hasn't been capable of ETH mining at more than about 15-16 Mh/s for well over a year now.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
antantti
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1015

View Profile
June 13, 2017, 04:07:58 PM

Equihash: ZEN, ZCL, ZEC, HUSH...

Dagger-hashimoto: MSC, EXP, UBQ...

Dual mining: MSC/EXP/UBQ... + SIA/PASC/PASL/DCR...

At some point I was mining MSC solo + SIA on pool. Tahiti came back to live in August of 2015, one 7970=3x750ti=30MH back then.

There are also some other profitable mining options but try these combinations first.
adaseb
Legendary

Activity: 3752
Merit: 1710

View Profile
July 18, 2018, 07:17:37 AM

I still got a few of these GPUs laying around.

They were actually used to mine BTC... then LTC ... then Darkcoin (X11) .... then ETH ... then ZEC .... now XMR

Basically the profitability is equal between ZEC and XMR but XMR consumes much less power. You can undervolt all the way to 0.95V and use 1000/1500 clocks and you should get almost 600 H/S while using like 125 Watts of power. With ZEC you would use closer to 200 Watts.

I remember first mining ETH with this GPU. The hashrate was like 27MH/s but due to the bug thrashing, it quickly and quickly became slower and slower.

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██