Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 01:58:23 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: sending from the same address using electrum  (Read 437 times)
blockchan (OP)

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 24, 2017, 03:07:19 AM

I have a situation where in order to verify my account at btc-e, I must send another transaction using the same btc address. I am using the same wallet but when I make the deposit it shows it as coming from a different address.  I am using electrum 2.7.9 that comes built into tails.  I need to be able to send from that same address.  I have not done anything other than make a few transactions but it seems even though I am using the same wallet, same keys, etc... It will make a new sending address each time.  Is there a way I can reuse an address that has previously made a payment?  Thanks.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
pooya87
Legendary

Activity: 3402
Merit: 10435

View Profile
June 24, 2017, 04:34:08 AM

press Ctrl+A or go to wallet > addresses from menu. that will show a new tab in your wallet called Addresses. go to that tab and find the address you are looking for. it may be hidden under "used" drop down thingy on top of the list.
unfortunately there is no search option here so you'll have to look for the address yourself among all the addresses in that list.

..JAMBLER.io..Create Your Bitcoin Mixing
Business Now for   F R E E 
▄█████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████▀████████████████████
███▀█████▄█▀███▀▀▀██████
██▀█████▄█▄██████████████
██▄▄████▀▄▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▄▄██████
█████▄▄▄██████████▀▄████
█████▀▄█▄██████▀█▄█████
███████▀▄█▀█▄██▀█▄███████
█████████▄█▀▄█▀▄█████████
▀█████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████
      OUR      
PARTNERS

████▄
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████▀
████████▀▀█████▀▀████████
█████▀█████████████▀█████
████████████████████████
███████████████▄█████████
███████████████▀█████████
████████████████████████
█████▄█████████████▄█████
████████▄▄█████▄▄████████
   INVEST   
BITCOIN

████▄
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████▀
HCP
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 4315

<insert witty quote here>

View Profile
June 24, 2017, 06:04:55 AM

You will only be able to send from that address, if that address still has coins in it.

What has likely happened, is that you've sent from that address (we'll call it AddressA) previously and the "change" from the transaction has been sent back to a change address in your Electrum wallet (AddressB).

When you go to send coins, they all now exist in AddressB instead of AddressA... If you check AddressA on blockchain explorer (like blockchain.info) you will probably see that the current balance is 0. If this is the case, you will need to send some coins back to AddressA first.

Once your AddressA has some coins in it, enable the "coins" tab ("Wallet" -> "Coins") if it isn't already... then on the "Coins" tab, find your AddressA... right click and select "Spend". This will set up an outbound transaction that will use just the coin(s) from AddressA that you selected, so it is guaranteed to send from that Address Smiley

NOTE: if you already have coins in AddressA (ie. the "Final Balance" shown on blockchain.info is not zero), then you should be able to find it on the "Coins" tab without having to send coins to AddressA first Wink

███▀█████▄█▀███▀▀▀██████
█████▄▄▄██████████▀▄████
█████▀▄█▄██████▀█▄█████
      OUR      
PARTNERS

████▄
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████▀
████████████████████████
████████████████████████
   INVEST   
BITCOIN

████▄
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████▀
Reid

Activity: 2842
Merit: 642

View Profile
June 24, 2017, 06:10:33 AM

You will only be able to send from that address, if that address still has coins in it.

What has likely happened, is that you've sent from that address (we'll call it AddressA) previously and the "change" from the transaction has been sent back to a change address in your Electrum wallet (AddressB).

When you go to send coins, they all now exist in AddressB instead of AddressA... If you check AddressA on blockchain explorer (like blockchain.info) you will probably see that the current balance is 0. If this is the case, you will need to send some coins back to AddressA first.

Once your AddressA has some coins in it, enable the "coins" tab ("Wallet" -> "Coins") if it isn't already... then on the "Coins" tab, find your AddressA... right click and select "Spend". This will set up an outbound transaction that will use just the coin(s) from AddressA that you selected, so it is guaranteed to send from that Address Smiley

NOTE: if you already have coins in AddressA (ie. the "Final Balance" shown on blockchain.info is not zero), then you should be able to find it on the "Coins" tab without having to send coins to AddressA first Wink

Thanks for this answer. I am using electrum now and this might come in handy when this instance happen to me.
Is this some kind of a bug or just needs verification before the coins can be seen from that first address?
If address B is doing fine then why the first address is having trouble with it.
HCP
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 4315

<insert witty quote here>

View Profile
June 24, 2017, 06:47:57 AM

"Spendable" bitcoins are contained within "Unspent Transaction Outputs"... also known as UTXO's. Any given UTXO belongs to exactly one bitcoin address. A bitcoin address can contain/control multiple UTXOs.

When you spend a UTXO (ie. you send coins to another address), the entire UTXO must be used. Now, the way most wallets are set up these days is to minimise address re-use and to utilise "change" addresses. So what happens is you end up with a situation like this:

- You receive 1.0 BTC to AddressA. AddressA now contains a UTXO for 1.0 BTC.
- You want to send 0.1 BTC (+0.0001 BTC fee) to your friend.
- A transaction is created that has the UTXO from AddressA for 1.0 BTC as an input (remember you have to use the whole UTXO) and an output of 0.1 BTC for AddressFriend and an output of 0.8999 BTC for your change AddressB. (The left over 0.0001 BTC goes to the miner as the network fee.)

Now, your AddressA has NO coins in it. AddressB has an UTXO for 0.8999 BTC and your friend's AddressFriend has a UTXO for 0.1 BTC.

From here, it should be obvious why you can no longer send coins from AddressA... simply because AddressA has NO coins (ie. no UTXO's) in it. The 0.8999 BTC is still in your wallet, but they are now all controlled by the UTXO in AddressB.

To be able to spend coins from AddressA, you would need to send the coins from AddressB (or from some other address) to AddressA, so that AddressA has at least one UTXO in it.

███▀█████▄█▀███▀▀▀██████
█████▄▄▄██████████▀▄████
█████▀▄█▄██████▀█▄█████
      OUR      
PARTNERS

████▄
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████▀
████████████████████████
████████████████████████
   INVEST   
BITCOIN

████▄
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████▀
Abdussamad
Legendary

Activity: 3584
Merit: 1560

View Profile
June 24, 2017, 11:28:52 AM

I have a situation where in order to verify my account at btc-e, I must send another transaction using the same btc address. I am using the same wallet but when I make the deposit it shows it as coming from a different address.  I am using electrum 2.7.9 that comes built into tails.  I need to be able to send from that same address.  I have not done anything other than make a few transactions but it seems even though I am using the same wallet, same keys, etc... It will make a new sending address each time.  Is there a way I can reuse an address that has previously made a payment?  Thanks.

find the address under the addresses tab like pooya said in post #2. then send bitcoin to that address. you can send from your own wallet with a normal send transaction. next right click on the address and select spend from. this will allow you to deposit money to btc-e using that address.
blockchan (OP)

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 28, 2017, 10:09:07 PM

Thank you all!  I now have an issue where gmx has blocked my account where support was being done even tho i've heard they are tor friendly.  I am confident this will all get resolved and when that account is unlocked the first order of business will be to tip you all for the help!   Hopefully each of you have a btc or ltc address so I can do that :]
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: