Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 03:14:25 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: MtGox Client Email!  (Read 3253 times)
SomeoneWeird (OP)

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 03:45:36 AM

Im pretty sure this is spam. The Email is as follows:

Dear Mt.Gox user,

Our database has been compromised, how you already know.

To protect your account in the future, please download  the Certificate (self-extracting archive) from Attachment and install it.

If you were using the same password on Mt.Gox and other places (email, mybitcoin.com, etc), you should change this password as soon as possible.

Please accept our apologies for the troubles caused, and be certain we will do everything we can to keep the funds entrusted with us as secure as possible.

Any unauthorized access done to any account you own (email, mtgox, etc) should be reported to the appropriate authorities in your country.

Thanks,
The Mt.Gox team

Going to download the file and anubis it.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
finack

Activity: 126
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 03:50:53 AM

Sounds legit.
SomeoneWeird (OP)

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 03:58:56 AM

Sounds legit.

Mhmm. I'll report back with the results.
Vladimir

Activity: 812
Merit: 1001

-

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 04:00:57 AM

"self-extracting archive" should scare the bejisus out of you kids.

It means untrusted code! An now... why would mtgox send you anything like this!

-
SomeoneWeird (OP)

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 04:04:23 AM

"self-extracting archive" should scare the bejisus out of you kids.

It means untrusted code! An now... why would mtgox send you anything like this!

Yep.

https://anubis.iseclab.org/?action=result&task_id=1831b3136a13eee9419e962dd8416b9c1&format=html
jatajuta

Activity: 365
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 04:05:22 AM

Dear Mt.Gox user,

To protect your account in the future, please download  the Certificate (self-extracting archive) from Attachment and install it.

If you were using the same password on Mt.Gox and other places (email, mybitcoin.com, etc), you should change this password as soon as possible.

Please accept our apologies for the troubles caused, and be certain we will do everything we can to keep the funds entrusted with us as secure as possible.

Any unauthorized access done to any account you own (email, mtgox, etc) should be reported to the appropriate authorities in your country.

Thanks,
The Mt.Gox team

[Update - 3:45 GMT] Update: DO NOT DOWNLOAD ANYTHING
If you receive ANY email which seems coming from Mt.Gox asking you to download something (certificate, generating program, etc), DO NOT DOWNLOAD. Do not either input your password on any site which is not MTGOX.COM.

https://support.mtgox.com/entries/20208066-huge-bitcoin-sell-off-due-to-a-compromised-account-rollback

For security, your account has been locked. Email acctcomp15@theymos.e4ward.com
SomeoneWeird (OP)

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 04:07:26 AM

Dear Mt.Gox user,

Thanks,
The Mt.Gox team

[Update - 3:45 GMT] Update: DO NOT DOWNLOAD ANYTHING
If you receive ANY email which seems coming from Mt.Gox asking you to download something (certificate, generating program, etc), DO NOT DOWNLOAD. Do not either input your password on any site which is not MTGOX.COM.

https://support.mtgox.com/entries/20208066-huge-bitcoin-sell-off-due-to-a-compromised-account-rollback

Im not stupid enough to run it...
chuckypalumbo

Activity: 148
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 04:08:31 AM

I got this email an hour ago, I can now throw away my email address of 15 years at it will be scammed and phished to death through this.
Oldminer
Legendary

Activity: 1022

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 04:09:54 AM

A quick check of the email headers will tell you if its legit or not. If your not sure how to do that forward the email to Mtgox support team for advice (enter their email address as listed on their site dont simply reply to the email!).

If you like my post please feel free to give me some positive rep https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=trust;u=18639
Tip me BTC: 1FBmoYijXVizfYk25CpiN8Eds9J6YiRDaX
jatajuta

Activity: 365
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 04:11:49 AM

Im not stupid enough to run it...

Just checking...  Grin

For security, your account has been locked. Email acctcomp15@theymos.e4ward.com
Tx2000

Activity: 182

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 04:16:36 AM

I think one should not open an attachment without 100% assurance that there is nothing malicious inside.  Hell, I even ask my friends if they sent me an email attachment before I open it.  Even then, I thoroughly scan the file to make sure.  Caution and prevention are the the best weapons.
Bazil

Activity: 126

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 04:55:41 AM

This kind of crap is why I use a different email address for every single thing I sign up for.

17Bo9a6YpXN2SbwY8mXLCD43Wup9ZE4rwm
CYPER

Activity: 798
Merit: 502

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 11:47:24 AM

Well, call me stupid but I opened the file after I scanned it with MSE, so can you please tell me how can I clean my pc now, when no antivirus detects it as a potential threat?

Does it install any files which I can manually delete?
relative

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 11:51:01 AM

there now is basically a list of people out there who have wallet.dat's on their computers.
have fun.
SomeoneWeird (OP)

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 11:57:20 AM

Well, call me stupid but I opened the file after I scanned it with MSE, so can you please tell me how can I clean my pc now, when no antivirus detects it as a potential threat?

Run Mbam, SpyBot S&D and a couple of others and see if they pick anything up. And create a new wallet and move all your coins ASAP.
CYPER

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 12:05:40 PM

Run Mbam, SpyBot S&D and a couple of others and see if they pick anything up. And create a new wallet and move all your coins ASAP.

I don't have any coins yet, as I'm in the process of building a rig, so at least nothing to steal. But do you think the virus is so sophisticated that it can extract all of my saved passwords from Firefox for example?
SomeoneWeird (OP)

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 12:09:16 PM

I don't have any coins yet, as I'm in the process of building a rig, so at least nothing to steal. But do you think the virus is so sophisticated that it can extract all of my saved passwords from Firefox for example?

Possibly, although they might have tried to keep it simple so it wouldn't set off any alarms (AV or IDS or otherwise).
skull88

Activity: 683

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 12:09:44 PM

Change your passwords, backup your files, do a format and reinstall everything.
You will think twice in the future before opening an attachment.

BTC: 1MifMqtqqwMMAbb6zr8u6qEzWqq3CQeGUr
LTC: LhvMYEngkKS2B8FAcbnzHb2dvW8n9eHkdp
ius

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 12:11:00 PM

One of the other stealers sent (Bitcoin_Exploit.rar) certainly did. Firefox, Chrome, Filezilla password caches and bitcoin wallet.
Vladimir

Activity: 812

-

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 12:14:40 PM

If you had a non ecrypted wallet.dat on the compromised computer, transfer all the money you had there to a new secure wallet ASAP.

It wallet.dat was encrypted, first transfer it (and only it) to a secure computer. Than as skull88 said.

Using secure system change all your passwords, when changing every password repeat "I will not open email attachments, I will not open email attachments, I will not open email attachments..."

-
CYPER

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 12:17:31 PM

If you had a non ecrypted wallet.dat on the compromised computer, transfer all the money you had there to a new secure wallet ASAP.

It wallet.dat was encrypted, first transfer it (and only it) to a secure computer. Than as skull88 said.

I have a wallet, but since I haven't started mining yet there are no coins in it.

Of f*** I so hate myself - I really don't want to reinstall Windows
SomeoneWeird (OP)

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 12:19:52 PM

Using secure system change all your passwords, when changing every password repeat "I will not open email attachments, I will not open email attachments, I will not open email attachments..."

haha +1

Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: