Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 09:06:29 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: A Stellar Reason to Own Bitcoins This Weekend  (Read 814 times)
ebliever (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1035

View Profile
June 24, 2017, 05:12:57 AM

Holding Bitcoins is good. But this weekend it's even better than normal. That's because anyone with bitcoin is eligible to receive almost 1000 Stellar Lumens (current value about $40 USD) per bitcoin.

Details of the airdrop can be found here:

https://www.stellar.org/blog/bitcoin-claim-lumens-2/

https://www.reddit.com/r/Stellar/comments/6bhu05/everything_you_need_to_know_about_the_stellar/

The airdrop will be based on a snapshot of the Bitcoin blockchain with the first block mined on June 26 (UTC time). If you have BTC on several listed exchanges (such as Poloniex and Kraken) you will get your Lumens automatically is my understanding. Note that bitcoins loaned out on Polo for margin trading will not be counted, AFAIK.

Otherwise, you need to have your BTC in a wallet for which you can Sign to prove ownership. (You cannot do this with most exchanges and some online wallets). The first link above will cover the process for claiming Lumens with this path.

So if you were looking for another good reason or time to buy BTC, this might be it...

Luke 12:15-21

Ephesians 2:8-9

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Holliday
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1009

View Profile
June 24, 2017, 05:15:38 AM

Otherwise, you need to have your BTC in a wallet for which you can Sign to prove ownership.

Cool. Trade privacy for some junk coins! Where do I sign up?

If you aren't the sole controller of your private keys, you don't have any bitcoins.
ebliever (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 24, 2017, 05:17:38 AM

Otherwise, you need to have your BTC in a wallet for which you can Sign to prove ownership.

How does it have any impact whatsoever on privacy? The blockchain is public.

virtualdn
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1093

View Profile
June 24, 2017, 05:17:48 AM

The Facebook verification makes you associate your Facebook ID with the BTC addresses you own... not very professional

1 BTC = 1 BTC
ebliever (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 24, 2017, 05:20:32 AM

The Facebook verification makes you associate your Facebook ID with the BTC addresses you own... not very professional

I see. Hadn't thought of that. Of course, you can just  move the coins shortly thereafter, which I was planning to do anyway.

RedditMaster

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 24, 2017, 05:25:28 AM

How does one get stellar lumens "automatically"? Are the 2 exchanges you listed planning to add them to their platforms?
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
June 24, 2017, 05:37:56 AM

you cna mix your coin later and remove the linkage in some way, or send to an exchange dump for another altcoin and buy back and send again to a new address

still this linkage will not give you much, 5 btc are only worth 0.015 in stellar, if you link your address, you must own tons of bitcoin for this to be worth the effort...
ebliever (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 24, 2017, 06:01:01 AM

How does one get stellar lumens "automatically"? Are the 2 exchanges you listed planning to add them to their platforms?

There are actually 6 exchanges listed at the link. They already have them (Stellar Lumens are well established crypto). If it's like other airdrops I've seen at Poloniex and other exchanges they will simply deposit the coins to your balance - people often don't even know about it ahead of time.

jaberwock
Legendary

Activity: 2534
Merit: 1073

View Profile
June 24, 2017, 06:31:02 AM

What I don't understand is the need of of authentication with facebook.

Byteball and Clams have the same feature of distribution for Bitcoin hodlers and no need to make any authentication at all.

Also they exclude residents of NY and other US states, and from nations they say are subject of economic sanctions by ONU Huh
What is the need of this if they are not trading with them and Lumens aren't money or Bitcoin Huh

Wendigo
Legendary

Activity: 2604
Merit: 1036

View Profile
June 24, 2017, 06:37:58 AM

you cna mix your coin later and remove the linkage in some way, or send to an exchange dump for another altcoin and buy back and send again to a new address

still this linkage will not give you much, 5 btc are only worth 0.015 in stellar, if you link your address, you must own tons of bitcoin for this to be worth the effort...

1 BTC gives you 975.148938763694 Lumens right now and 975.148938763694 x $0.041130 = $40.10787585135073

So all in all on June 27, 2017 one could get around $40 per BTC.
krishnapramod
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1078

View Profile
June 24, 2017, 06:39:27 AM

Holding Bitcoins is good. But this weekend it's even better than normal. That's because anyone with bitcoin is eligible to receive almost 1000 Stellar Lumens (current value about $40 USD) per bitcoin.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Stellar/comments/6bhu05/everything_you_need_to_know_about_the_stellar/

The airdrop will be based on a snapshot of the Bitcoin blockchain with the first block mined on June 26 (UTC time). If you have BTC on several listed exchanges (such as Poloniex and Kraken) you will get your Lumens automatically is my understanding. Note that bitcoins loaned out on Polo for margin trading will not be counted, AFAIK.

Otherwise, you need to have your BTC in a wallet for which you can Sign to prove ownership. (You cannot do this with most exchanges and some online wallets). The first link above will cover the process for claiming Lumens with this path.

So if you were looking for another good reason or time to buy BTC, this might be it...

This post just reminded me that I had created a Stellar account in 2014. I forgot the password, tried the recovery phrase, but
Recovery has been disabled for this account. If I am right I had 5000 Stellar Lumens in my account Sad They had a promo at that time, open a wallet, get 5000 Lumens. Hope I would be able to recover it and exchange it to BTC Smiley

Why Facebook?
If you’re not using an exchange, then law requires us to ensure you’re not on the U.S. sanctions list or located in any of the restricted jurisdictions listed above. We’re using Facebook account verification to complete this check.

Stellar is a centralized platform, connecting banks with people and since they also have some regulatory restrictions on this program they need to verify Facebook data.

If you’d rather not share your Facebook information, you can still go through a participating exchange.
btctousd81

Activity: 434
Merit: 270

View Profile WWW
June 24, 2017, 06:41:35 AM

its a win win , but how do i verify the btc ownership ?

and fb linking ? why is that necessary ? i dont have a fb account.

Wendigo
Legendary

Activity: 2604
Merit: 1036

View Profile
June 24, 2017, 06:45:56 AM

I think the easiest route is to send your Bitcoins to an exchange, get your Lumens, sell them, send everything back to where it was and after all the transaction fees are paid you will still have something left to indulge yourself with  Grin
xypos

Activity: 532
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 24, 2017, 06:49:15 AM

its a win win , but how do i verify the btc ownership ?

and fb linking ? why is that necessary ? i dont have a fb account.

To prove it all you need to do is sign a message or send a small transaction i think. At least thats how byteball and clams worked, i can't see any other way of proving that you own the coins without sending it to them directly.

A free $40 for anyone interested. IT really doesn't matter whether you like Stellar or not, i would take $40 per bitcoin i own for free anyday.
jaberwock
Legendary

Activity: 2534
Merit: 1073

View Profile
June 24, 2017, 06:51:10 AM

This post just reminded me that I had created a Stellar account in 2014. I forgot the password, tried the recovery phrase, but
Recovery has been disabled for this account. If I am right I had 5000 Stellar Lumens in my account Sad They had a promo at that time, open a wallet, get 5000 Lumens. Hope I would be able to recover it and exchange it to BTC Smiley

Why Facebook?
If you’re not using an exchange, then law requires us to ensure you’re not on the U.S. sanctions list or located in any of the restricted jurisdictions listed above. We’re using Facebook account verification to complete this check.

Stellar is a centralized platform, connecting banks with people and since they also have some regulatory restrictions on this program they need to verify Facebook data.

If you’d rather not share your Facebook information, you can still go through a participating exchange.

It is kind of ironic you can be from one of the restricted regions and have an account in one of the accepted exchanges and receive Lumens through it.

DoublerHunter

Activity: 2590
Merit: 644

View Profile
June 24, 2017, 08:26:49 AM

It is good to see some airdrop for just holding bitcoin and it seems that they are promoting two coins at the same time which is stellar lumens and also bitcoin and i can say that they are both good coin to have and hold for long term because bitcoin has a lot of potential and i do believe that the forked coin called stellar lumens of ripple (XRP) is have more potential than xrp.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: