Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 10:46:59 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Did I just get hacked on Poloniex?!?!?!  (Read 1915 times)
nzhu (OP)

Activity: 20
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
June 24, 2017, 06:35:09 PM

I tried logging into my poloniex account and I asks me for 2FA!
I didn't have 2fa on!!! i didn't know what "Google authenticator" was until it happened.

So I immediately went to my email and found an ip I don't recognize from moscow 3am this morning
But I've had another ip from bulgaria yesterday!

I froze my account from my email...but is it too late?

='(
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Jeezy911

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 24, 2017, 06:38:55 PM

Dude put 2 factor on all your bitcoin accounts.It's so easy.

avikz
Legendary

Activity: 3038
Merit: 1497

View Profile
June 24, 2017, 07:03:17 PM

Similar things I have also noticed from poloniex. Since last 2-3 weeks, I have been receiving notification that my account has been accessed. But the fact is that I haven't actually accessed my account since last few months as I don't use that exchange.

The IP address is showing as 116.126.166.202 which belongs to Korea. I have now changed my password but I thing someone have got the access to my account. This is really wired and I am now changing all my passwords.

Em00n01

Activity: 737
Merit: 104

View Profile
June 24, 2017, 07:09:19 PM

I have never faced this problem. But I think it's a hack. Try to contact with support. It will help you to recover it.

████████████           CYBERTRADE          || |   |    |     MMO RPG FUTURISTIC          ████████████
||     Twitter     ||||   Telegram   ||||     TikTok     ||
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬  ▬▬   Powered by BOUNTY DETECTIVE   ▬▬  ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
emberbekas
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 24, 2017, 07:49:27 PM

Agreed! It would be better if we familiarize ourselves to always increase the security level in each of our accounts that potentially harm us if others can master it. 2FA is the most powerful way to avoid theft.

Sex Video Chat VKcams.com

Activity: 490
Merit: 252

http://VKcams.com/

View Profile
June 24, 2017, 07:55:57 PM

but is it too late?

Run this https://www.kaspersky.com/downloads/thank-you/internet-security-free-trial

http://VKcams.com/ - FREE Sex Video BITCOIN Chat
chaser15
Legendary

Activity: 2688
Merit: 1065

Undeads.com - P2E Runner Game

View Profile
June 24, 2017, 07:57:49 PM

I didn't have 2fa on!!! i didn't know what "Google authenticator" was until it happened.

So I immediately went to my email and found an ip I don't recognize from moscow 3am this morning

='(

You can report unauthorized login at the support to get some recommendations on what to do. Include also the screenshots of those emails associated with IP's for them to make it as a reference.

And overall, enhance security not just with the usual security method but self security. I have an account in Poloniex which have some fair amount of bitcoin and other altcoins but Im not using 2fa.

💀|.
   ▄▄▄▄█▄▄              ▄▄█▀▀  ▄▄▄▄▄█      ▄▄    ▄█▄
  ▀▀▀████████▄  ▄██    ███▀ ▄████▀▀▀     ▄███   ▄███
    ███▀▄▄███▀ ███▀   ███▀  ▀█████▄     ▄███   ████▄
  ▄███████▀   ███   ▄███       ▀▀████▄▄███████████▀
▀▀███▀▀███    ███ ▄████       ▄▄████▀▀████   ▄███
 ██▀    ▀██▄  ██████▀▀   ▄▄█████▀▀   ███▀   ▄██▀
          ▀▀█  ▀▀▀▀ ▄██████▀▀       ███▀    █▀
                                      ▀
.PLAY2EARN.RUNNER.GAME.
||VIRAL
REF.SYSTEM
GAME
|
████████████████████████████
██████ ▄▀██████████  ███████
███████▄▀▄▀██████  █████████
█████████▄▀▄▀██  ███████████
███████████▄▀▄ █████████████
███████████  ▄▀▄▀███████████
█████████  ████▄▀▄▀█████████
███████  ████████▄▀ ████████
████████▀▀▄██████▄▀▀████████
███████  ▀        ▀  ███████
██████                ██████
█████▌   ███    ███   ▐█████
█████▌   ▀▀▀    ▀▀▀   ▐█████
██████                ██████
███████▄  ▀██████▀  ▄███████
badge101

Activity: 18

View Profile
June 24, 2017, 08:01:20 PM

It is happening to me too even though I have never used my poloniex account, I am getting emails every hour that someone with a new IP accessed my account Huh
btcdevil
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1027

View Profile
June 24, 2017, 08:03:47 PM

='(

Your account got hacked and the reason may be that you are using same password in any other site or recently did you signed a new account where you used same password of poloniex account that is why your account got hacked. You have to contact the support for the help as they can only help you.
btctousd81

Activity: 434
Merit: 270

View Profile WWW
June 24, 2017, 08:06:17 PM

looks that way., from now on, make sure you use two factor authentication with Google authenticator and even if you are more paranoid like me, dont put your coins in exchange or any online wallet, unless you are day trader.

how much did you had in polo ?

tigershark

Activity: 223
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 24, 2017, 08:08:38 PM

Similar things I have also noticed from poloniex. Since last 2-3 weeks, I have been receiving notification that my account has been accessed. But the fact is that I haven't actually accessed my account since last few months as I don't use that exchange.

The IP address is showing as 116.126.166.202 which belongs to Korea. I have now changed my password but I thing someone have got the access to my account. This is really wired and I am now changing all my passwords.

I noticed a few days ago I tried to log in and after one attempt where I must have hit a wrong key, I got a message stating that I had too many incorrect log in attempts and I had to wait 20 minutes to try again. It makes me wonder if someone is trying to get into my Poloniex account. Luckily I have 2-factor authentication and I don't think anyone has cracked it yet.
elisabetheva

Activity: 1708
Merit: 105

View Profile
June 24, 2017, 08:28:13 PM

Agreed! It would be better if we familiarize ourselves to always increase the security level in each of our accounts that potentially harm us if others can master it. 2FA is the most powerful way to avoid theft.

Whether by already protecting 2FA, there is a possibility to be penetrated? Can also be added with SMS protection?
Siren

Activity: 826
Merit: 265

View Profile
June 24, 2017, 08:34:42 PM

That is why I always put 2FA when creating an account. I myself has seeing a lot of those unauthorized login to my account. So I immediately withdraw my bitcoin and just left a small portion for trading in my wallet. Hackers are really targeting bitcoin trading platforms now as they know that there are a lot of money in there.
lite
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
June 24, 2017, 08:55:23 PM

='(
Did you receive any withdrawal confirmation in your mail? if you didn't then you probably are safe for now. contact support and disable 2FA and then YOU activate 2FA.

Whether by already protecting 2FA, there is a possibility to be penetrated? Can also be added with SMS protection?
SMS based 2FA isn't secure. use google authenticator or authy (with disabled multi device feature).
Sundark

Activity: 560
Merit: 502

View Profile
June 24, 2017, 09:06:26 PM

It is easy to set 2FA but at the same time, people are scared to share their mobile number with random websites.
Bitcoin/Altcoin exchanges are not the pinnacle of trustworthiness considered even the biggest exchanges were hacked in the past.

Op, when your mail was hacked along with your Poloniex account, then security of your device has been breached, reset every password and make sure nothing has been stolen.
nzhu (OP)

Activity: 20

View Profile WWW
June 24, 2017, 09:08:49 PM

='(
Did you receive any withdrawal confirmation in your mail? if you didn't then you probably are safe for now. contact support and disable 2FA and then YOU activate 2FA.

SMS based 2FA isn't secure. use google authenticator or authy (with disabled multi device feature).

Poloniex has never sent me any messages about any of my deposits and withdrawls so that doesn't help much.
But I've never withdrawn to a wallet before. I've just been trading.
Does poloniex usually give a confirmation for bitcoin deposits into the wallet? Because I never get any. Nor do I get confirms when I withdrawl bitcoins.
BitcoinMarshal

Activity: 756
Merit: 504

View Profile
June 24, 2017, 09:12:03 PM

It is happening to me too even though I have never used my poloniex account, I am getting emails every hour that someone with a new IP accessed my account Huh
This happen with many users because a group of hackers doing this for sometime I also victim of this problem but now using my account with google authentic which is good and very helpful for me
erikalui
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1094

View Profile WWW
June 24, 2017, 09:17:06 PM

How is it possible that so many accounts got hacked on poloneix and people are receiving these authorization emails from different locations and IPs? Is it that poloneix itself was attacked or the users accessed a link or due to some malware their account got hacked? It happened with me where my blockchain got hacked and I did not get any authorization email as well.

It is easy to set 2FA but at the same time, people are scared to share their mobile number with random websites.
Bitcoin/Altcoin exchanges are not the pinnacle of trustworthiness considered even the biggest exchanges were hacked in the past.

Op, when your mail was hacked along with your Poloniex account, then security of your device has been breached, reset every password and make sure nothing has been stolen.

Many websites use google authenticator where it isn't necessary to give your phone number. You just need the code and own that device. Device lost means your 2FA is useless then.

cjmoles
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1016

View Profile WWW
June 24, 2017, 10:06:23 PM

This stuff happens all the time. Always use two factor authentication.  I am constantly getting emails stating that an unrecognized device tried accessing my accounts....and most of the time they are from Russia.  The two factor authentication prevents them from getting in but it doesn't stop them from trying.
steamon

Activity: 404
Merit: 252

View Profile
June 24, 2017, 10:08:46 PM

Always use 2factor that way they have to get your phone to steal your cryptocurrencies. Still not 100% safe to leave everything on an exchange since the exchange can still get hacked while the chance is very small.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: