Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 04:03:15 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Riser boards, place on what material?  (Read 488 times)
2econd (OP)

Activity: 243
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 21, 2017, 03:20:17 PM

Hi,

My newest project is a 5 GPU rig inside a 4U server case. It's coming along quite nicely but it's too small to let the GPUs hang. So I need to place them on the floor of the case. I need to make the case a bit higher here, so the GPUs can rest (where the GPU risers are attached).

But I'm not sure what material to use. Should I use metal, or is this an absolute no-go. Am I better off using wood? I could also use metal, and let them rest on the rubber that came with the risers. I'm guessing this material came with the risers because it withstands heat, or was it just to protect the boards?

As you can see, I'm at loss here. Hope someone can help me out.

Thanks in advance!

★ ★ ★ ★ ★   DeepOnion    Anonymous and Untraceable Cryptocurrency    TOR INTEGRATED & SECURED   ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
› › › › ›  JOIN THE NEW AIRDROP ✈️        VERIFIED WITH DEEPVAULT  ‹ ‹ ‹ ‹ ‹
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬   ANN  WHITEPAPER  FACEBOOK  TWITTER  YOUTUBE  FORUM   ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Merlig

Activity: 143
Merit: 11

View Profile
June 21, 2017, 05:32:49 PM

don't use metal, may be the pins of the capacitors go through the rubber and produce a short circuit. Use an material which has no electrical conductivity.

regards
Tidsdilatation

Activity: 518
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
June 21, 2017, 05:45:32 PM

As an electritian i'd use rubber.
2econd (OP)

View Profile
June 21, 2017, 06:59:43 PM

Thank you for the advice!

Easiest for me is to use wood. I'm afraid rubber might just melt, or is that me being crazy?

★ ★ ★ ★ ★   DeepOnion    Anonymous and Untraceable Cryptocurrency    TOR INTEGRATED & SECURED   ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬   ANN  WHITEPAPER  FACEBOOK  TWITTER  YOUTUBE  FORUM   ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Tidsdilatation

Activity: 518
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
June 22, 2017, 06:18:07 PM

Thank you for the advice!

Easiest for me is to use wood. I'm afraid rubber might just melt, or is that me being crazy?

Hmm, i dont know the exact temperatures for each material, but i'd say if the rubber melts, that temperature would prolly burn the wood aswell...
MA3A

Activity: 241

To Hash or not to Hash, that's what the question

View Profile WWW
June 24, 2017, 06:05:13 AM

Dont use wood. Its a heat insulator and fire hazard.
Caps pins will eventually short to the metal frame if no precautions used. See this:
https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=1114012192033195&id=348409301926825

https://www.facebook.com/Qubex-Denver-Data-Recovery-473541326020759/ - accepting coins as payment
www.qubexdatarecovery.info Professional data recovery service for PHYSICALLY DAMAGED (broken) DEVICES: RAID0/RAID5/HYBRID RAID/SSD/HDD/FLASH DRIVE/CELLPHONE/, ALL OS, up to LEVEL 4, ISO-10 Clean room/ISO-100 hoods, Pro tools and know-how.
2econd (OP)

View Profile
June 25, 2017, 02:19:03 PM

I just want to say thank you once again. I've contacted a local supplier of rubber material to obtain some fireproof rubber which I will use to place the risers/GPUs on. Not conductive, but the GPUs are grounded anyway through the cables, so I'm not worried there.

Thank you!  Cheesy

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: