Bitcoin Forum
June 07, 2024, 05:42:27 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What if Governments Shutdown the Internet?  (Read 7220 times)
BlackPanda
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 03, 2017, 02:41:21 PM

I think it will never happen because the internet access is vital for today's economy. Almost 70% of businesses always use internet access in performing their work every day. And it's not just bitcoins that always use internet access to make transactions of its use.

Yes, Economic growth has been increased due to the internet only, before it was very difficult to talk with people who are settled in other countries but the internet makes it very easy for us. Right now people are happily booking the tickets and happy traveling anywhere they want by using the internet only. I think it is not at all possible to shut down the internet.
When the internet dies then almost all sytem economy becomes paralyzed. The majority of economic growth is increasing due to bitcoin and today almost most economic systems are connected and require an internet network. This will be a problem and a setback for the state of a country's economy.
YOYOY

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 03, 2017, 02:55:29 PM

That would be totally the biggest mistake they will ever be done, because all of us know that we all rely on internet nowadays, so if they will shut it down many consumers will be mad at it. I myself will be mad or yourself, nowadays many of us can't live without internet that we used in our everyday lives especially the millennials.
Paulyr

Activity: 45
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 03, 2017, 03:01:27 PM

I honestly think Bitcoin isn't decentralized enough considering that government still controls the Internet and can easily censor or shut them down (is this even possible?) anytime.
The move by government to make us go cashless by gradually phasing out cash is even more worrisome, could make them have absolute control over us.
We need some sort of decentralized "physical Bitcoin" that doesn't depend on the Internet and can be exchanged for online Bitcoin.  It is too risky not to have offline alternatives to Bitcoin to act as backup plan for online Bitcoin in case something big goes wrong.

Pls I need to know something,  Is it possible to exchange Bitcoin with other people without being connected to the Internet?
Let say the government bans the Internet and you have your Bitcoin offline(in cold storage right?), can you exchange the Bitcoin to the next person by simply transferring some Bitcoin from cold storage to his/her computer, phone or even data storage devices(like SD Card, USB, Hard drive etc)?
If this is possible then no need for the "Physical Bitcoin"

So in my opinion, the government can not or they should not shut the Internet down. At least in their own, if they shut down the Internet, they will loose more than they can earn so that they won't shut the Internet down.
daenarys_stormborn

Activity: 756
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 03, 2017, 03:33:30 PM

In my opinion it is impossible for the government to do that, but if the government shut down the internet, then all the things that digital finance will be screwed up, even the government itself will not have access to security and destroyed

Xester

Activity: 994
Merit: 544

View Profile
July 03, 2017, 03:41:16 PM

I think it will never happen because the internet access is vital for today's economy. Almost 70% of businesses always use internet access in performing their work every day. And it's not just bitcoins that always use internet access to make transactions of its use.

Yes it is true.  It is very impossible that it will happen.  There would be a war if that is the case.  The government will not do that because they will be the number one that will face several problems.  The economy will fall down because of the busnesses that will shut down if the government will shutdown the internet.  The country would be lame and for sure no one wants for that to happen.
speem28

Activity: 546
Merit: 255

View Profile
July 03, 2017, 04:58:10 PM

It is impossible that the government will try to shutdown the internet over the reason that they want or deny control of bitcoin. Also, shutting down internet like that will cause a major turmoil in their country and they will just make another big problem for themselves, so we should not worry over something that is not bound to happen.
megynacuna

Activity: 756
Merit: 253

View Profile
July 03, 2017, 05:20:51 PM

That is correct, the government will be affected by the lack of internet more than the Bitcoin users and so I don't think it will be practicable for them to shut it down because they need it more than us.
Kamarah

Activity: 268

View Profile
July 03, 2017, 05:30:15 PM

That is correct boy. I believe that the government will not be insane enough to shut down the whole internet system because if they do that, we will return to the ICE AGE and we can not do nothing because most of work are on the computer and internet right now

maku
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 03, 2017, 05:59:55 PM

Shutting down the internet is no longer an option, the global network is too important for everyone both individual and institutional.
Services, institutions, merchants, payment operators, police and everyone else are basically a slave to the internet.
I can't even imagine how society would collapse if we had any kind of restrictions that affect access or limiting the internet.
doomloop

Activity: 2310
Merit: 581

View Profile
July 03, 2017, 08:58:50 PM

There is no way that the government will shutdown the internet because if they do that, the people will got mad and there will be a big protest and people will against the government. The government will collapse
That wont be the case,the fact is without internet the entire country could stand still because everything now a days runs smoothly because you have the internet and no government could shut it down,rather they could impose some rules and restrictions.

that’s really true that if today we are able to do anything even remaining at home it’s all possible just because of having internet with you now, people are doing internet jobs and earning good money through internet so I suppose it will be very bad if it ever happen.

BigBall

Activity: 253
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 03, 2017, 09:19:37 PM

If my govrement shutdown my internet in my country I would go to capital town of my country and jump in their govrement space and punching them in the face to revenge that.
Jewell

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 03, 2017, 09:25:01 PM

If my govrement shutdown my internet in my country I would go to capital town of my country and jump in their govrement space and punching them in the face to revenge that.
lol you do not need to take such a big action, in fact now government do not have the option to do so. internet has now become an important part of every government and they cannot shut down internet even for a single minute. and if they will do so, it will damage most of their departments both financially and security  wise. therefore there is no chance to for the internet to shut down.
ModGirl

Activity: 602
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 03, 2017, 09:52:08 PM

If the government will shutdown the internet then they will shut down their power and their rulership because with that act people will believe that the government is mad and they now do not understand that how to control the country and so public will shutdown their governance. .
Biggapp

Activity: 574
Merit: 256

View Profile
July 03, 2017, 10:20:09 PM

well calm down and do not worry the government can not do this, they cannot shut down the internet connection because this is the modern and technical world now and everyone is dependent on internet, even the rulers' businesses are depend on internet so i do not think that they will harm themselves economically and also the world without internet will be black and white.
xderek

Activity: 76
Merit: 101

View Profile
July 03, 2017, 10:30:52 PM

I subscribe. The only way to shut down the Internet is to stop all communications, GPS,  4g, 5g. Online services. book stores,  movies stores, shops, banks, Wikipedia. All that.

djoko adi

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 03, 2017, 10:31:54 PM

All forms of government policy are well planned. And perhaps the government will reduce the risk before he decides to take action. If the internet is stopped then consequently paralyze the system in the greeting oemerintaham because the government also uses the internet. And also the community or companies need the internet. If the bitcoin that is banned from using it is very difficult because of the difficult nature of bitcoin is traced to make the government will be confused in stopping the bitcoin trade. I do not think that will happen. Only if bitcoin is not legal may be possible.
Harlot

Activity: 1806
Merit: 671

View Profile
July 03, 2017, 10:42:38 PM

I think it is impossible for any government to shutdown the internet. Our world is into technology now and internet is one of those most needed technology in order to cater our needs by shutting it down without any important reason you are actually choking everything from social life to businesses to your own country's economy. We can never go backwards from where we started so what I am only seeing right now in order the government to shutdown the internet is a war which will shut it down temporarily.
Superways

Activity: 826
Merit: 502

View Profile
July 03, 2017, 10:49:25 PM

I do not think that this happen. The governments are not able to shut down the internet if there is not harm from almost all of the internet. The governments are for the benefit and for the completion of needs of the citizens and if they will not complete them then people will mark them as failed government.
batako

Activity: 1022
Merit: 252

View Profile
July 03, 2017, 10:57:14 PM

If my governments shutting down the internet then there will be no bitcoin here in my place. And the bad thing is, my country will become very poor since most of modern business already use internet to support it.
Sarah08

Activity: 238

View Profile
July 03, 2017, 11:07:50 PM

I honestly think Bitcoin isn't decentralized enough considering that government still controls the Internet and can easily censor or shut them down (is this even possible?) anytime.
The move by government to make us go cashless by gradually phasing out cash is even more worrisome, could make them have absolute control over us.
We need some sort of decentralized "physical Bitcoin" that doesn't depend on the Internet and can be exchanged for online Bitcoin.  It is too risky not to have offline alternatives to Bitcoin to act as backup plan for online Bitcoin in case something big goes wrong.

Pls I need to know something,  Is it possible to exchange Bitcoin with other people without being connected to the Internet?
Let say the government bans the Internet and you have your Bitcoin offline(in cold storage right?), can you exchange the Bitcoin to the next person by simply transferring some Bitcoin from cold storage to his/her computer, phone or even data storage devices(like SD Card, USB, Hard drive etc)?
If this is possible then no need for the "Physical Bitcoin"

The government cannot shutdown the internet its like impossible but they can restrict the people in there country to use internet like what is happening in other country today so it is obvious that bitcoin cannot be use you can send bitcoin without internet connection yes there are offline wallets but goona need to give the storage.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: