Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 05:08:26 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Developers of BitCoin  (Read 241 times)
shamzblueworld (OP)

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
July 08, 2017, 08:53:38 AM

Excuse me if its a novice question but I really have no idea about it and would like to learn.
So we know that Satoshi created bitcoin, alone or with a team that we don't know(or do we?)
But now, as there are talks of making some changes or adjustments in the bitcoin(don't know if it has happened before or not), but who are gonna make those changes? Who are those developers that can do that?
And if it is open source, can a single person (or a few for that matter) make changes in it?
Would really appreciate some beginners guide on this.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
krishnapramod
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1078

View Profile
July 08, 2017, 09:18:14 AM

Excuse me if its a novice question but I really have no idea about it and would like to learn.
So we know that Satoshi created bitcoin, alone or with a team that we don't know(or do we?)
But now, as there are talks of making some changes or adjustments in the bitcoin(don't know if it has happened before or not), but who are gonna make those changes? Who are those developers that can do that?
And if it is open source, can a single person (or a few for that matter) make changes in it?
Would really appreciate some beginners guide on this.

Nobody owns the Bitcoin network much like no one owns the technology behind email. Bitcoin is controlled by all Bitcoin users around the world. While developers are improving the software, they can't force a change in the Bitcoin protocol because all users are free to choose what software and version they use. In order to stay compatible with each other, all users need to use software complying with the same rules. Bitcoin can only work correctly with a complete consensus among all users. Therefore, all users and developers have a strong incentive to protect this consensus.

https://bitcoin.org/en/faq#who-controls-the-bitcoin-network

All users are free to choose what software or version they want to use. Adding some new rules to the existing protocol (core) is a soft fork while removing the existing rules is a hard fork. Now a hard fork isn't backwards compatible, users would be forced to use this version whether they like it or not.

These rules are called consensus rules because Bitcoin requires that all participants in the Bitcoin economy have consensus as to the consensus rules. If the economy disagrees about the consensus rules, then the currency and economy splits into two or more totally-independent pieces.

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Consensus

Could a single person make changes to it? Guess that's what is happening, bitcoin is open source, but with centralized mining the users doesn't have much choice.

As long as mining is conducted for economic gain, then any change adopted by the miners needs to be supported by the economic majority for it to be successfully implemented.

If there are changes to the protocol that are not welcomed by those who want bitcoins but the changes are adopted by miners regardless, then the coins mined (starting with the first non-compliant block mined) would not be recognized by those who didn't adopt all the changes. Thus those miners would then, in that instance, not gain economically from introducing any changes that the Economic Majority didn't want. This outcome would be the same regardless of whether or not the miners that attempted to make the changes had 51% of the hashing capacity.

So the ability for a protocol change to be successfully implemented ultimately rests with those who accept bitcoins in exchange for value.

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Economic_majority

https://bitcoincore.org/en/team/
talkbitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1032

All I know is that I know nothing.

View Profile
July 08, 2017, 09:21:01 AM

as far as coding and development goes you can go on github and see who is contributing.

here is the link to the repository: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin
here you can see the contributions by different people: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/graphs/contributors

there are currently 14368 commits (which are the changes to the code. small or big)
179 releases (which are the versions that are being released)
448 contributors (which are the people who made any commit)

if i am not mistaken this is not all. there has been some stuff going on before bitcoin was uploaded on github. it was posted on somewhere else. github wasn't popular back in 2008 or maybe didn't exist.

there is also some kind of hierarchical power that i don't know how exactly works.
for example i believe laanwj is the only one able to accept the commits and merge them into main code. and the process is also a bit complicated. you can make any changes then submit to the mailing list and then make a BIP and if it is accepted and tested it will be merged.

and then the process that krishnapramod explained as consensus happens in the network.

.L I V E C O I N . N E T.
..PROFITBOX..
██  █████████████████████████
  █████████▄      ▄██████████
█████████████▄  ▄████████████
    █████████████████████████
  ██████████▀    ▀█ ▀████████
████  █████▀  ▄▄  ▀█  ▀██████
  ████████▀  ▄██▄  ▀█   ▀████
    ██████   ▀██▀   ██   ████
  █████████▄      ▄██████████
██  █████████▄  ▄████████████