Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 05:46:49 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Can't mine with GPU on riser  (Read 383 times)
Camper1233 (OP)

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 06, 2017, 05:57:15 AM

I plugged in a GTX 1050 with a riser(powered by MOLEX) i connected my monitor to it and when i try to mine the screen turns green and my PC restarts. The riser is plugged in the PCI x1 slot, I also tried it on the PCI x16 slot(i made sure that i plugged it correctly). I am pretty new at this and any help would be appreciated.
Undefined31415

Activity: 336
Merit: 253

Gone phishing...

View Profile WWW
August 06, 2017, 07:15:34 AM

I plugged in a GTX 1050 with a riser(powered by MOLEX) i connected my monitor to it and when i try to mine the screen turns green and my PC restarts. The riser is plugged in the PCI x1 slot, I also tried it on the PCI x16 slot(i made sure that i plugged it correctly). I am pretty new at this and any help would be appreciated.

What motherboard & OS are you using? What driver version? (PSU, CPU, etc. could also be helpful.)

Is that the only card you're using? (Might seem like a stupid question, since you don't usually need a riser with a single card, but humor me.)

Am I correct in assuming that it works correctly when plugged directly into the primary x16 slot? (The primary x16 slot is typically the one closest to the CPU. If you only have one card, this is the slot you usually want to use, although many recent motherboards can deal with you using any.) If your riser is working properly, using the riser to connect the card to the primary x16 slot should yield the same results as having the card directly in the slot (barring games or other processes that require the additional bandwidth).

There's a good chance that you just have a bad riser, so if you have others readily available, I'd try them out first.

▀██▄ ▄██▀
            ▐█████▌
           ▄███▀███▄
         ▄████▄  ▀███▄
       ▄███▀ ▀██▄  ▀███▄
     ▄███▀  ▄█████▄  ▀███▄
   ▄███▀  ▄███▀ ▀███▄  ▀███▄
  ███▀  ▄████▌   ▐████▄  ▀███
 ███   ██▀  ██▄ ▄██  ▀██   ███
███   ███  ███   ███  ███   ███
███   ███   ███████   ███   ███
 ███   ███▄▄       ▄▄███   ███
  ███▄   ▀▀█████████▀▀   ▄███
   ▀████▄▄           ▄▄████▀
      ▀▀███████████████▀▀
DeepOnion
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
   Anonymity Guaranteed
   Anonymous and Untraceable
   Guard Your Privacy
      ▄▄██████████▄▄
    ▄███▀▀      ▀▀█▀   ▄▄
   ███▀              ▄███
  ███              ▄███▀   ▄▄
 ███▌  ▄▄▄▄      ▄███▀   ▄███
▐███  ██████   ▄███▀   ▄███▀
███▌ ███  ███▄███▀   ▄███▀
███▌ ███   ████▀   ▄███▀
███▌  ███   █▀   ▄███▀  ███
▐███   ███     ▄███▀   ███
 ███▌   ███  ▄███▀     ███
  ███    ██████▀      ███
   ███▄             ▄███
    ▀███▄▄       ▄▄███▀
      ▀▀███████████▀▀
SCSI2

Activity: 206
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 06, 2017, 04:35:33 PM

I've seen this behavior with one particular kind of 1050 ti (Gigabyte). The cards refused to cooperate while on risers and crashes. I sent them back to Newegg for replacement but don't think it will help.

This is just two cards out of 40+ 1050ti I have. Every other 1050ti brand/model works fine except for this one: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125914
Camper1233 (OP)

View Profile
August 06, 2017, 07:37:55 PM

Sorry that i forgot to mention all of that.
I am using the MSI h81-p33 with Windows 10 the newest insider preview(16257.1). The GPU driver is version 384.94. Not sure what PSU im using but its real 500w. And i have an i3-4160. This is the only card I am using at the moment because I am planning to buy an RX 570 and I want to make sure the riser works properly. Yes, it works when its plugged in the PCI x16 slot without a riser. I tried connecting the riser to the x16 slot but it did not work, and I made sure that i plugged it in the right way.
BitBustah

Activity: 1218
Merit: 534

View Profile
August 06, 2017, 07:53:44 PM

Had thesame thing today.. Installed my old GPU on a new riser (before my GPU was on the mobo).

- Update the bios and Google if settings are OK.
- See if your OS (Windows?) recognises the GPU. If not, do a CLEAN install of drivers.

This helped for me. Hash rate seems even better with GPU -or maybe that's just in my mind-. Smiley

Camper1233 (OP)

View Profile
August 06, 2017, 07:58:06 PM

I already have the latest drivers and windows recognizes the GPU, i am able to see it on afterburner.
bluedeep
Legendary

Activity: 977
Merit: 1011

View Profile
August 07, 2017, 12:22:48 AM

Green screen or blue screen? Anyway, try to run your GPU without riser ( I don't see any reason to use a riser if you have only one GPU installed)

||
IDO PARTNER
▄▄▄▀▀▀██▄▄
████▀▀░▀███
███▌████▐███
███▌████████▌
███▌█████████
███▌█████████
███▌████▐███▌
▄▄▄▄▄█▀░███▀
▀▀██▀▄██▀▀
DAOStarter