Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 04:16:07 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Please VERIFY my first rig before I harm myself.  (Read 1389 times)
gpucoolingmethod (OP)

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 19, 2014, 12:14:12 AM
Last edit: January 19, 2014, 07:05:05 PM by gpucoolingmethod

The rig will change hopefully because of your helpful answers to the Questions below which keep this rig uncompleted but each one solved helps.  Wink
Orange needs attention.

THE PLAN NOW IS
It ll be mining only rig so no case etc but it ll have:
lots of noname PSUs prolly 1 per card so about 7 per rig.But what and how to check in a cheap psu so it wont kill itself along with rest of rig?

OCing
Please tell me about how much more of an overclock can i get per each degree temp lower? Wikipedia says each 10°C speed up chemical reaction 2x so does that mean Electromigration too?

What do you think about watercooling with peltier aka ThermoElectricCooling?If watercooling Id use Isthiscorrect? user's idea https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=420000.msg4565613#msg4565613 to hang it in air using strings through motherboard screwholes for best air access?and maybe an external airfan/s ?
How much pure does water have to be to be safe?
I found phase change coolers are too expensive right now

What is important for scrypt?
Memory or Core  MHz?
Can I lower the other if only one is needed?

Does mining use any SYSTEM RAM (apart from Reaper software)

Yes/No
What motherboard components affect gpu and stability?
North/South|bridge?
CPU,RAM whatever?

Waranty
What should I watch out for?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
dailycoins

Activity: 139
Merit: 100

Dailycoins.net

View Profile WWW
January 19, 2014, 12:58:30 AM

Forget peltier elements. They are no real advantage over regular watercooling with modern high end cpu/gpu as they generate too much heat. Peltier was useful with older computers 10+ years ago.

gpucoolingmethod (OP)

View Profile
January 19, 2014, 01:22:16 AM

Please explain
I found them cheap on ebay for a few usd
dailycoins

Dailycoins.net

View Profile WWW
January 19, 2014, 05:14:48 AM

I just did. I doubt that cheap peltiers from ebay would even transfer enough heat. Even if you had 400W high end element it wouldn't work in reality. You would also need additional PSU to power it up which isn't going to be profitable.

New cpu/gpu will generate so much heat that while peltier would give good temps in idle there's no way that you can cool the hot side of the element enough under load. You would have to remove massive heat that the element puts out so it won't go into stasis. There are number of tests available if you google it. Plain water cooling should give you about 15 C better temps under load.

gpucoolingmethod (OP)

View Profile
January 19, 2014, 05:37:00 PM

Peltier cooler isnt a must for mining so Ill think about them after Ill find out essential things like answers to the questions I asked above.Plz help.
gpucoolingmethod (OP)

View Profile
January 19, 2014, 06:23:44 PM

bump plz
punkboy15

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 19, 2014, 06:50:27 PM

I would not get cheap PSU.  When they go they can take out your mobo and/or GPU.  Plus you will pay more for electricity as cheap PSU's are usually less efficient.
gpucoolingmethod (OP)

View Profile
January 19, 2014, 07:06:52 PM

This is what Ive been told a few times but no one explains exactly why or at least what and how to check if it is a safe psu not a pos.
gpucoolingmethod (OP)

View Profile
January 19, 2014, 07:18:43 PM

can anyone explain?
gpucoolingmethod (OP)

View Profile
January 19, 2014, 07:53:53 PM

or at least help with the other questions please?
gpucoolingmethod (OP)

View Profile
January 19, 2014, 08:49:55 PM

if just one out of ten people who viewed this answered at least one question Ill buy my rig in less than two days! plz help people!
gpucoolingmethod (OP)

View Profile
January 19, 2014, 09:09:02 PM

oh come on plz answer Im waiting so many days making new threads...
wcRocks

Activity: 5

View Profile
January 19, 2014, 09:12:39 PM

PSU: You want to keep in mind that dedicated mining is a 24/7 operation and you want components that can hold up to that level of stress. Many cheap PSUs will list the wattage rating as Peak Power instead of Continuous Power. Check the voltage and rail assignments on the PSU. The 12v is the most important as that's what the video card is using. For a R9 290 you'll want at least 25-30amps on the 12v rail for a single card. Map out the rails and match it up to what you're plugging in.

OC: This is entirely dependent on the exact video card you have but I'd say at around 10% is reasonable. Scrypt tend to favor memory over core clocks but more important is the ratio between them and you're mining software settings. Most people find that 4GB of system is fine for Windows systems and you might get away with lower on a Linux build.

Pelter: Pelter's have always intrigued me but I've seen many stories of cracking CPUs back in the day. I've never seen someone use a pelter on a video card, there must be a reason. I personally like an open air rig using PCI-E extender cables. The one I currently have is in a plastic hanging file bin from Staples. I plan to build a custom open air metal case soon.

Components: As long as you have halfway decent components you'll be fine. They are just there to support your GPUs.

Warranty: If your going to overclock or modify the components by putting custom cooling on them it may not be covered under warranty if you break it. Some companies don't care and some do.

Additional, with all this power your drawing get your self a kill-a-watt meter and make sure you do not go over the power rating on your outlets. 15amp or 20amp 120v circuits are common in the USA and the continuous load is supposed to be 20% less. So for a 15amp circuit you should only draw 13amp continuous and 20amp circuit would be 16amp. If you go over this you risk tripping breakers or even catching something on fire at worst.
gpucoolingmethod (OP)

View Profile
January 19, 2014, 10:33:28 PM

THANK YOU!! . !!! finally answers!! Cheesy

This first rig will be an experiment for me with cheap psu so ill buy just one card and just one/two psus.If something would go wrong would I have problems getting warranty on anything?

"This is entirely dependent on the exact video card you have but I'd say at around 10% is reasonable" Do You mean per degree celsius? that seems very much.So if I lowered the temp to -40 C from 90 by using a phase change cooler would i get 150 times 10% more of OC = 15 times more mhz?-
wcRocks

Activity: 5

View Profile
January 19, 2014, 11:36:13 PM

THANK YOU!! . !!! finally answers!! Cheesy

This first rig will be an experiment for me with cheap psu so ill buy just one card and just one/two psus.If something would go wrong would I have problems getting warranty on anything?

"This is entirely dependent on the exact video card you have but I'd say at around 10% is reasonable" Do You mean per degree celsius? that seems very much.So if I lowered the temp to -40 C from 90 by using a phase change cooler would i get 150 times 10% more of OC = 15 times more mhz?-

It's a good idea to start off small and work your way up once you get a grasp of everything, this is what I did. It's cheaper to get 2x 750watt PSU instead of a single 1500w PSU for example. For my next 6x r9 290 rig I'll be using 2x 1300watt PSUs.

I meant a 10% overclock from stock speeds would be reasonable. Lowering temps does usually allow for better more stable overclocks but it's ratio depends on the card. Some cards/chips are temp bound and others are power(voltage) bound. I'd suggest looking over in the Mining Hardware thread for settings for your card and what you can expect. You can also try litecointalk.org or overclock.net forums. Also if you're able to achieve 2% better overclock by adding a $50 cooler, adding 75 more power consumption, and 10% more heat.. are you getting your money back by mining that much faster? Just something to think about.
coinpharmer

Activity: 84

View Profile
January 19, 2014, 11:47:37 PM

its funny to me that you ask these questions looking for help and people try to help you by saying that your plan is not good, there are better ways of doing it and costing yourself less money by just doing the standard things. you are wanting someone to help you by being a yes man.

ok heres your help, you have a good plan and the answer is yes you can!

my honest reply? just buy bitcoin and wait exactly a year before thinking about it again.
dailycoins

Dailycoins.net

View Profile WWW
January 20, 2014, 09:47:32 AM

my honest reply? just buy bitcoin and wait exactly a year before thinking about it again.
+1! This is probably much safer bet than investing in a mining rig if you're not 100% sure how to turn it into profit.

gpucoolingmethod (OP)

View Profile
January 20, 2014, 10:37:41 AM

I thought everyone figured out already gpu mining bitcoins isnt profitable anymore so ill mine altcoins but buying btc is a good idea anyway
dailycoins

Dailycoins.net

View Profile WWW
January 21, 2014, 06:45:16 AM

I thought everyone figured out already gpu mining bitcoins isnt profitable anymore so ill mine altcoins but buying btc is a good idea anyway
True, I'm sure that everyone was talking about alt coin gpu mining though. IMO Bitcoin mining isn't profitable even with XXX Gh/s asic miners at least more than couple months.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: