Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 08:45:13 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: What should be done with the wall observer thread? (Your vote may be published.)  (Voting closed: July 03, 2017, 12:48:09 AM)
Transfer ownership of the current thread to someone active, and trust them to enforce on-topicness. - 85 (34.4%)
Move the current thread to Off-topic and exempt it from all on-topicness rules. - 41 (16.6%)
Move the current thread to a new Chat section which will be mostly ignored by bitcointalk.org mods, but will have its own set of mods pulled from the Wall Observer regulars in order to enforce some amount of order. - 60 (24.3%)
Just use the replacement thread that someone already created in Speculation, trusting them to maintain on-topicness. - 26 (10.5%)
Unlock the current thread where it is, and then mercilessly ban anyone who goes off-topic. - 35 (14.2%)
Total Voters: 155

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What to do with the wall observer thread?  (Read 10961 times)
theymos (OP)
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5180
Merit: 12880

View Profile
June 30, 2017, 12:48:09 AM

The Wall Observer thread is currently locked because it attracts way more off-topic posts than we want to deal with. Continuing the status quo is therefore not really an option. The thread can continue if the situation is changed in such a way that we don't have to constantly clean up its trash, however.

I will be looking at who voted what, and I might publish it here. Mostly I'm interested in hearing from participants in the Wall Observer thread.

Vote for every option that you consider acceptable.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Torque
Legendary

Activity: 3542
Merit: 5039

View Profile
June 30, 2017, 01:28:05 AM

Hey theymos,

I noticed that you're poll has 5 options, with the ability for the poll participant to select all 5.

Doesn't that sort of negate or skew the results?
bitserve
Legendary

Activity: 1820
Merit: 1464

Self made HODLER ✓

View Profile
June 30, 2017, 01:37:26 AM
Merited by vapourminer (2)

Very good move from Theymos allowing the participants of Wall Observer to express their opinion of what we would prefer about the future of the thread. Thanks!

I would like to say that before voting you should really take something into account:

- The WO, as it was for a long time, was mostly outside the strict scope of its title and rules. (Let's be honest about this).
- Only two (second and third) voting options could allow it to continue in the same or even remotely similar way as it was.
- The other three are just basically three ways to enforce that the thread keeps strictly on topic (wall observing) without ANY offtopic posts.

I particularly liked the diversity of the tangencial subjects discussed in the thread so, in consciousness, I can't vote for any of those three options. Not even in the slight expectation that a new moderator will be flexible about its rules or banning will occur only in very extreme and blatant cases. That'd be cheating. If any of those options are chosen and, for any reason, the offtopics continue we will probably end in the same situation.

I would have preferred the options were to be in a "General Speculation" section instead of "Offtopic" or "Chat", as I don't think it is neither of those but.... let's not be picky here, those are the options and if that means the WO thread can be preserved as it was, then it's ok to me.

Also, a totally offtopic and unmoderated thread is probably not something really desirable by anyone. So probably the best option is the third one (offtopic allowed with some moderators just to maintain some minimum order), but maybe the second one would be an interesting experiment.

If you want to only and strictly talk (and read) about walls with no reference to any other topics that might or might not be related to those walls, then you have the three other choices to decide how it could be better enforced (But please don't do it in the expectation that it will not be enforced ie: a new moderator like adamsgt was).

Just my opinion.

19VBmRQVqrtNTGiwngZutwREagcKxJgVZM
theymos (OP)
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5180
Merit: 12880

View Profile
June 30, 2017, 01:45:26 AM

No, it's fine.

I particularly liked the diversity of the tangencial subjects discussed in the thread so, in consciousness, I can't vote for any of those three options. Not even in the slight expectation that a new moderator will be flexible about its rules or banning will occur only in very extreme and blatant cases. That'd be cheating. If any of those options are chosen and, for any reason, the offtopics continue we will be again at this point.

Since option 1 is in the lead, I already wrote a draft of a policy change for that one, possibly addressing your concerns:

The Wall Observer is now owned by the forum. The listed owner is responsible for maintaining it. If the owner fails to maintain it (ie. I start getting too many complaints), then they will be replaced.

The thread is exempt from the following rules from the perspective of bitcointalk.org mods:

- Off-topicness (in relation to either Speculation or the topic itself).
- Double-posting etc., within reason.

(The thread owner can and should enforce those rules to some degree, however.)

A warning will show up about the above rule exemptions when you try to report a post in the thread.

Signatures won't show up in the thread anymore.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
drbrockcoin

Activity: 137
Merit: 100

For your listening pleasure, Fuck World Trade!

View Profile
June 30, 2017, 01:53:34 AM

How do I vote?

It ain't a mystery, that US History
Was built upon the graves
Of native ways and beaten slaves
Yeah, we're all free and brave
until we misbehave
and there's just no escape
from the crushing weight
of the police state
bitserve
Legendary

Self made HODLER ✓

View Profile
June 30, 2017, 01:57:32 AM

No, it's fine.

I particularly liked the diversity of the tangencial subjects discussed in the thread so, in consciousness, I can't vote for any of those three options. Not even in the slight expectation that a new moderator will be flexible about its rules or banning will occur only in very extreme and blatant cases. That'd be cheating. If any of those options are chosen and, for any reason, the offtopics continue we will be again at this point.

Since option 1 is in the lead, I already wrote a draft of a policy change for that one, possibly addressing your concerns:

The Wall Observer is now owned by the forum. The listed owner is responsible for maintaining it. If the owner fails to maintain it (ie. I start getting too many complaints), then they will be replaced.

The thread is exempt from the following rules from the perspective of bitcointalk.org mods:

A warning will show up about the above rule exemptions when you try to report a post in the thread.

Oh! I think that changes everything, but as the option says "and trust them to enforce on-topicness" I thought it was just another way of enforcing that only strict talk about walls would be allowed and that if the new owner/moderator wouldn't do it, he would be removed and the thread locked again.

lightfoot
Legendary

Activity: 3094
Merit: 2239

I fix broken miners. And make holes in teeth :-)

View Profile
June 30, 2017, 02:19:25 AM
Last edit: June 30, 2017, 02:33:57 AM by lightfoot

Now that I re-read it, I see the answer from my POV is option 1: Unlock the thread, leave it where it is, and let Wall Observer mods police the thing as they see fit.

Oddly enough it's one of the best threads to get a pulse on what is happening in bitcoinland, and while dipshits and trolls do roll through from time to time they also go away, returning it to the normal levels of anarchy.

Thus it is what it is. Of course there is option 6:

[ ] Everyone post the same crap on this thread as Wall, thus extending the lunacy to Theymos' thread....

:-)
JayJuanGee
Legendary

Activity: 3696
Merit: 10143

Self-Custody is a right. Say no to"Non-custodial"

View Profile
June 30, 2017, 02:26:09 AM

How do I vote?

Vote for whichever option(s) is acceptable to you.

Keep in mind that if you vote for only one option, then you are giving all of the power of your vote to that one option; one other hand, if you vote for four items, then it would be as if you are voting against, the one item that you did not vote for..

Of course there are variations of how you could distribute your vote(s), but seems to be best just to consider which option(s) you believe are acceptable or most acceptable and vote accordingly.

1) Self-Custody is a right.  There is no such thing as "non-custodial" or "un-hosted."  2) ESG, KYC & AML are attack-vectors on Bitcoin to be avoided or minimized.  3) How much alt (shit)coin diversification is necessary? if you are into Bitcoin, then 0%......if you cannot control your gambling, then perhaps limit your alt(shit)coin exposure to less than 10% of your bitcoin size...Put BTC here: bc1q49wt0ddnj07wzzp6z7affw9ven7fztyhevqu9k
lightfoot
Legendary

Activity: 3094
Merit: 2239

I fix broken miners. And make holes in teeth :-)

View Profile
June 30, 2017, 02:36:12 AM

Your alternative option of leaving the thread and having mods police it seems to be the exact reason why Theymos and/or mods locked the thread because that is what they had been doing for about a year or so, and they do not want to continue doing that.
Yep, I re-re-read the choices and see option 1 is that option. Edited my post accordingly, still resisting urge to start posting stupid things here. I have a choo choo train image.....
deepcolderwallet

Activity: 294
Merit: 103

View Profile
June 30, 2017, 02:38:45 AM

Thank you Theymos.
Long live the Wall Observer!

If you'd like to help me saving for my babie's future, bitcoin:1QCD4EYjeuEGjVCxkD7PAD2feEVEMYvpGU
bitserve
Legendary

Self made HODLER ✓

View Profile
June 30, 2017, 02:39:23 AM

Your alternative option of leaving the thread and having mods police it seems to be the exact reason why Theymos and/or mods locked the thread because that is what they had been doing for about a year or so, and they do not want to continue doing that.
Yep, I re-re-read the choices and see option 1 is that option. Edited my post accordingly, still resisting urge to start posting stupid things here. I have a choo choo train image.....

Don't do it... or next thing we will have roach complaining why silver and gold are not choices in the poll... and what's worse, trying to convince theymos those are way better choices and the current ones are stupid and won't go anywhere. If that happens we can kiss goodbye our beloved Wall Observer.

marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
June 30, 2017, 03:04:55 AM

Theymos, first thanks for taking the time and effort to understand what it is about this thread that's worth continuing. I think the above quoted ruleset usefully encapsulates what it should be about and demonstrates that you've got the point of it, thanks again.

Apologies for losing my shit somewhat about the locked thread but we all agree that something had to change so kudos for taking the first difficult steps to sort it out.

Now which poor (lucky?) bastard wants to be WO listed owner?! A responsibility/challenge/opportunity unlike any other.  Cheesy

deepcolderwallet

View Profile
June 30, 2017, 03:08:37 AM

Quote from: marcus_of_augustus link=topic=1993570.msg19851980#msg19851980

Now which poor (lucky?) bastard wants to be WO listed owner?! A responsibility/challenge/opportunity unlike any other.  Cheesy

Anyone but Meuh6879!!!
This guy already showed he wants to be another dictator.

If you'd like to help me saving for my babie's future, bitcoin:1QCD4EYjeuEGjVCxkD7PAD2feEVEMYvpGU
JayJuanGee
Legendary

Activity: 3696
Merit: 10143

Self-Custody is a right. Say no to"Non-custodial"

View Profile
June 30, 2017, 03:30:33 AM

Anyone but Meuh6879!!!

How about killer potleaf?  He seems to be an lucky (or unlucky) bastard who is not too likely to dictate anything - HOWEVER,  he seems to have gotten us WO fanboys (and fangirl) in this predicament in the first place by failing and refusing to take adequate measures to regain access to his adamstbit account.

1) Self-Custody is a right.  There is no such thing as "non-custodial" or "un-hosted."  2) ESG, KYC & AML are attack-vectors on Bitcoin to be avoided or minimized.  3) How much alt (shit)coin diversification is necessary? if you are into Bitcoin, then 0%......if you cannot control your gambling, then perhaps limit your alt(shit)coin exposure to less than 10% of your bitcoin size...Put BTC here: bc1q49wt0ddnj07wzzp6z7affw9ven7fztyhevqu9k
bitserve
Legendary

Self made HODLER ✓

View Profile
June 30, 2017, 03:37:41 AM

Anyone but Meuh6879!!!

How about killer potleaf?  He seems to be an lucky (or unlucky) bastard who is not too likely to dictate anything - HOWEVER,  he seems to have gotten us WO fanboys (and fangirl) in this predicament in the first place by failing and refusing to take adequate measures to regain access to his adamstbit account.

He would be the best candidate for obvious reasons were he was willing to do it. If I have understood correctly what theymos said, they would just don't give a shit if anyone (trolls mostly) complain about offtopic or silly things just because they don't share an opinion or whatever, and it would be up to the moderator to do what he feels appropiate to maintain the thread in reasonable good shape. If that's true, anyone that is not a control-freak and that follows the rule of minimum intervention would be ok to me. My vote goes for Killerpotleaf.

deepcolderwallet

View Profile
June 30, 2017, 03:38:58 AM

Anyone but Meuh6879!!!

How about killer potleaf?  He seems to be an lucky (or unlucky) bastard who is not too likely to dictate anything - HOWEVER,  he seems to have gotten us WO fanboys (and fangirl) in this predicament in the first place by failing and refusing to take adequate measures to regain access to his adamstbit account.

I support smeagol to be the new old mod. Not to confuse with Paashaas (the other smeagol).
Also @infofront has showed to be an honest mod in his Hard-forked WO thread.

d_eddie
Legendary

Activity: 2478
Merit: 2895

View Profile
June 30, 2017, 04:43:04 AM
Merited by yefi (1)

This thread is one of my main gateways to all chat/news bitcoinical, with a slight emphasis on (short-term) price action. I've posted very little (lurking since forever), but I've done my bit of misusing, asking questions that were 100% on topic. Not.
So the "let's turn into a chat" bit is my favorite. Killing the discussion would be too much. Turning it into a chat room with a few main actors -  theatrical characters! - sounds just right. Kitten pics will be tolerated as long as they make a point, I hope.
dropt
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 30, 2017, 04:51:21 AM

The wall observer thread has been absolute fucking garbage dump for years.  I really don't understand why you care all of a sudden.  Just let it be the shithole it has grown to be.
xhomerx10
Legendary

Activity: 3822
Merit: 7962

View Profile
June 30, 2017, 05:26:16 AM

Give control of the existing thread to Lauda. 
Quickseller
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2870
Merit: 2298

View Profile
June 30, 2017, 05:32:07 AM

Give control of the existing thread to Lauda. 
muhahahah.

Yea that would be a horrible idea.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: