Bitcoin Forum
April 28, 2024, 06:06:09 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is my hashrate low? HD 7950  (Read 2022 times)
techmine (OP)

Activity: 17
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 30, 2017, 08:16:19 PM

Hi everyone, I've caught interest in cryptocurrencies a while ago, but I only read and thought about it.

Now I've decided to give it a try on my current oldish rig, just to get a bit more familiar with it, and possible gain some change.
I'm on windows 10, latest drivers, with an XFX 7950 mining with Claymore's dual miner for ETH +DCR/SIA etc. (version 9.3).

I'm mining in dual mode, Ethereum and Decred, and my hashrate is pretty low, around 10.5 Mh/s for ETH and 325 Mh/s for DCR, where I should be getting around 16-18 for ETH, and much more for DCR (I can't find exactly how my card is supposed to perform here, but apparently more than 1000 Mh/s).

Now, I've already tried rolling back drivers to 15.2, or whatever is the version that Claymore's miner is suggesting, but it didn't change a thing.
I've also been mining on the same pools (nanopool for ETH and Suprnova for DCR) for a couple of days now, but the rate hasn't increased even slightly.
Also overclocked the gpu a bit to squeeze more performance out of it, around 1025 core and 1450 mem.

Is there anything else that I can do to increase my hashrate, or is it actually where it should be?

I'd rather not use a dedicated OS for mining, since I'm using my only desktop rig to just "get something" when I'm not around to use it, but maybe a docker could help?

Thanks in advance
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
adaseb
Legendary

Activity: 3738
Merit: 1709

View Profile
June 30, 2017, 11:17:47 PM

mine ZEC instead

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
Juggar

Activity: 242
Merit: 11

View Profile
July 01, 2017, 12:42:27 AM

Hi everyone, I've caught interest in cryptocurrencies a while ago, but I only read and thought about it.

Now I've decided to give it a try on my current oldish rig, just to get a bit more familiar with it, and possible gain some change.
I'm on windows 10, latest drivers, with an XFX 7950 mining with Claymore's dual miner for ETH +DCR/SIA etc. (version 9.3).

I'm mining in dual mode, Ethereum and Decred, and my hashrate is pretty low, around 10.5 Mh/s for ETH and 325 Mh/s for DCR, where I should be getting around 16-18 for ETH, and much more for DCR (I can't find exactly how my card is supposed to perform here, but apparently more than 1000 Mh/s).

Now, I've already tried rolling back drivers to 15.2, or whatever is the version that Claymore's miner is suggesting, but it didn't change a thing.
I've also been mining on the same pools (nanopool for ETH and Suprnova for DCR) for a couple of days now, but the rate hasn't increased even slightly.
Also overclocked the gpu a bit to squeeze more performance out of it, around 1025 core and 1450 mem.

Is there anything else that I can do to increase my hashrate, or is it actually where it should be?

I'd rather not use a dedicated OS for mining, since I'm using my only desktop rig to just "get something" when I'm not around to use it, but maybe a docker could help?

Thanks in advance

7950 is being thrashed by the DAG and cant keep up anymore. What you are seeing is normal. These are not good for Eth anymore since they can only do RX 460 numbers with 3 x  the consumption.
leowonderful
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1129

Bitcoin FTW!

View Profile
July 01, 2017, 01:47:13 AM

If you're not dedicated mining Nicehash can help squeeze the most out of your mining card. Guessing you own a 2/3GB card which can't really fit ETH dag anymore, Nicehash should help a bit to find the best algo automatically or go to ZEC.
techmine (OP)

View Profile
July 01, 2017, 08:01:37 AM

mine ZEC instead

7950 is being thrashed by the DAG and cant keep up anymore. What you are seeing is normal. These are not good for Eth anymore since they can only do RX 460 numbers with 3 x  the consumption.

If you're not dedicated mining Nicehash can help squeeze the most out of your mining card. Guessing you own a 2/3GB card which can't really fit ETH dag anymore, Nicehash should help a bit to find the best algo automatically or go to ZEC.

Thanks to everybody, so it's just a matter of the DAG becoming too big, right? My card is a 3Gb one, and I see about 2.3Gb of memory allocated, that's why I found that weird.
Is it the same with DCR too?

I'll definitely look into nicehash, but I was reading it could cause a bit of "hopping" between coins, is that right?
It's a shame I mined these days without a reward tho.
Hamphser

Activity: 2464
Merit: 325

View Profile
July 01, 2017, 08:36:52 AM

mine ZEC instead

7970/50 is best for ZEC.

███████████████████████
████████████████████
██████████████████
████████████████████
███▀▀▀█████████████████
███▄▄▄█████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
███████████████████████
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████
████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████▀▀██▀██▀▀█████████
█████████████▄█████████████
███████████████████████
████████████████████████
████████████▄█▄█████████
████████▀▀███████████
██████████████████
▀███████████████████▀
▀███████████████▀
█████████████████████████
O F F I C I A L   P A R T N E R S
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
ASTON VILLA FC
BURNLEY FC
BK8?█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
PLAY NOW
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
techmine (OP)

View Profile
July 01, 2017, 06:35:33 PM

Well, that's funny.
I just finished downloading and setting up nicehash, letting it do its thing with the benchmarking (I added all the algos to the benchmark), and then launched mining, and...

It started mining Eth+DCR... funny.
Provided nicehash lacks Zcash apparently, it seems like it is the most profitable option between those available.

Any thoughts on this?
Musketier

Activity: 4

View Profile
July 01, 2017, 06:42:57 PM

hey guys !

Im new to mining and like so many others I tried minegate first. Auto-mining chose XMRfor me.
My system is a xeon E3 123 v3, 8 GB DDR3 Memory and a AMD Radeon R9 390. Not top notch, I know...

So far with minegate I get around 120-140 H/S with CPU mining and around 40-60 H/S with GPU mining. But Im reading about mega hash rates here. I dont even get over 3,6 k Hash/minute with my GPU. Is that because of my slow hardware, the bad mining software or maybe because of some other issues? Im no way near 1Mh/m atm...
dzere

Activity: 6

View Profile
July 01, 2017, 07:18:27 PM

Or you can still mine Ethash at 24-26Mh/s with hd7950, just not ETH or ETC.
Try Musicoin(MUSIC), Expanse(EXP) or Ubiq(UBQ). And you can dual mine DCR if you really want to do that.
https://i.imgur.com/5lAXJp6.png
adaseb
Legendary

Activity: 3738
Merit: 1709

View Profile
July 01, 2017, 07:26:14 PM

Or you can still mine Ethash at 24-26Mh/s with hd7950, just not ETH or ETC.
Try Musicoin(MUSIC), Expanse(EXP) or Ubiq(UBQ). And you can dual mine DCR if you really want to do that.

Dual mining with that GPU is never a good idea because of the huge heat it outputs. The card uses ~200Watts while undervolting, and if you dual mine it can easily consume ~250-275 Watts depending on the intensity.

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██