Bitcoin Forum
June 14, 2024, 01:51:23 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: So I can mine BTC....but not LTC  (Read 1832 times)
Xanthe

Activity: 72
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 11, 2013, 11:39:36 AM

@Draxus, in your screenshot with GPU-Z things do appear to be functioning properly. Your low hash rate is caused by your settings (I get a similar hash rate with those settings on my 7950). Also, for some reason your memory clock is low and as stated by Spetznaaz, your voltages are higher than they need to be. In fact, I have the same card as you, a Sapphire 7950. Unfortunately, our cards have wayyyy overboard voltages of 1.225Vcore/1.6Vmem by default. Here are the settings that work for me right now:

I need to use both Sapphire Trixx and MSI Afterburner to tweak the card as only Trixx can adjust the core voltage and only Afterburner can adjust the memory voltage. Start Sapphire Trixx and adjust core voltage to 1080mV. Apply and close. Start MSI Afterburner, enable voltage controls and adjust memory voltage to 1500mV. Set the power limit to max (+20 -- this is very important!), the core clock to 984mhz and the memory clock to 1355mhz. If you like, setup a fan profile and enable automatic fan control as the default fan profile on this card seems very conservative. Apply your settings and minimize Afterburner to the system tray.

Create a batch file inside your cgminer directory and paste this into it:

Code:
setx GPU_MAX_ALLOC_PERCENT 100
cgminer --scrypt -o stratum+tcp://yourpool:xxxx -u Username.Worker -p Password --intensity 19 --shaders 1792 --worksize 256 --thread-concurrency 24000 -g 1 --lookup-gap 2 --expiry=15 --queue=0

The setx command (if already set) and shaders option are both kind of redundant, but it doesn't hurt to have them. Don't forget to adjust the pool, user and password to your own.

Try that out and see if/how it works for you. This is the exact setup that I'm running to achieve 560Kh/s (I know this is lower than most people claim to achieve, but I'm using much fewer watts and my cards run cool). I tried using lower intensities and "-g 2" like my 7970s run, but I just couldn't get good results with such settings on the 7950.

I'm running the 13.3 beta driver on Windows 7 SP1. If you think your issues are caused by your drivers, trying a different version (or reinstalling your current version) may be a good option, as others have suggested. AMD not long ago released a driver cleanup tool. I've used it successfully to upgrade/downgrade between every version of the AMD drivers from 12.8 <-> 13.3. You can find it here:

http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloads/Pages/catalyst-uninstall-utility.aspx

It may not be as good as reinstalling Windows, but it's much easier and therefore maybe worth a try.

Hopefully you'll get things sorted out, good luck! Smiley
Kinetic915

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 11, 2013, 09:39:00 PM

Also as far as the crashing goes,  is it just crashing cgminer or windows as well?

SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
May 12, 2013, 04:27:18 AM

I would love to revert but the installers of both 12.8 and 13.1 (and appearently even 13.4) always given an error for the AMD APP SDK Runtime. I also tgried uninstalling that in isolation and reinstalling it afterwards to no avail.

Packages for install
AMD APP SDK Runtime
Final Status: Fail
Version of Item: 10.0.938.2
Size: 90 Mbytes

Seems that  the several installs / removals corrupted something.
Do a fresh install of Windows and go for 12.8 straight away

I don't want to reinstall windows. Maybe I'll make a Linux bootable USB or refrain from mining then. AMD this is really bad ...

Truth is that the latest drivers are a real pain in the ass when it comes to mining.
I had several issues when trying to mine with the 13.xx series.
Do yourself a favor, waste less than an hour reinstall the damn thing and go straight for 12.8.
That's what I would do.
12.8 drivers crashed for me as well.
Draxus (OP)

Activity: 37
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 12, 2013, 04:12:32 PM

It was crashing windows as well....however I have not been able to test these new configurations as the internet at my house has been down for the past day   Embarrassed

Also as far as the crashing goes,  is it just crashing cgminer or windows as well?
SkyNet

Activity: 80
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 12, 2013, 10:57:55 PM

I would love to revert but the installers of both 12.8 and 13.1 (and appearently even 13.4) always given an error for the AMD APP SDK Runtime. I also tgried uninstalling that in isolation and reinstalling it afterwards to no avail.

Packages for install
AMD APP SDK Runtime
Final Status: Fail
Version of Item: 10.0.938.2
Size: 90 Mbytes

Seems that  the several installs / removals corrupted something.
Do a fresh install of Windows and go for 12.8 straight away

I don't want to reinstall windows. Maybe I'll make a Linux bootable USB or refrain from mining then. AMD this is really bad ...

Truth is that the latest drivers are a real pain in the ass when it comes to mining.
I had several issues when trying to mine with the 13.xx series.
Do yourself a favor, waste less than an hour reinstall the damn thing and go straight for 12.8.
That's what I would do.
12.8 drivers crashed for me as well.

If that is after a clean install then something is wrong with your rig I think.
I tried 12.8 in several configurations and never failed.

Tips: 1JmQ78JprWePM3EapnacPFfAtTrob8ofmU
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: