Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 01:36:19 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: A decentralized web would give power back to the people online  (Read 847 times)
phantomof (OP)

Activity: 23
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 02, 2017, 09:39:48 PM

Privacy: Decentralisation forces an increased focus on data privacy. Data is distributed across the network and end-to-end encryption technologies are critical for ensuring that only authorized users can read and write. Access to the data itself is entirely controlled algorithmically by the network as opposed to more centralized networks where typically the owner of that network has full access to data, facilitating  customer profiling and ad targeting.

Data Portability: In a decentralized environment, users own their data and choose with whom they share this data. Moreover they retain control of it when they leave a given service provider (assuming the service even has the concept of service providers). This is important. If I want to move from General Motors to BMW today, why should I not be able to take my driving records with me? The same applies to chat platform history or health records.

Security: Finally, we live in a world of increased security threats. In a centralized environment, the bigger the silo, the bigger the honeypot is to attract bad actors. Decentralized environments are safer by their general nature against being hacked, infiltrated, acquired, bankrupted or otherwise compromised as they have been built to exist under public scrutiny from the outset.

https://techcrunch.com/2016/10/09/a-decentralized-web-would-give-power-back-to-the-people-online/

---

Do you think that SHIFT has massive potential for the future?

http://coinmarketcap.com/currencies/shift/

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum was founded in 2009 by Satoshi and Sirius. It replaced a SourceForge forum.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
hermanhs09

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 02, 2017, 11:56:53 PM

maidsafe is a project in the working i think. but how are you going to provide internet access with decentralized? it just cant happen imo, or at least not completely decentralized. there will always be someone controlling electricity supplies, if they cut it off then bummer.
phantomof (OP)

View Profile
July 03, 2017, 09:07:28 AM

maidsafe is a project in the working i think. but how are you going to provide internet access with decentralized? it just cant happen imo, or at least not completely decentralized. there will always be someone controlling electricity supplies, if they cut it off then bummer.
Shift is better than Maidsafe. Read more about.
rayk

Activity: 448
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
July 03, 2017, 10:19:12 AM

It may save us from google's monopoly in every related field of web?
phantomof (OP)

View Profile
July 03, 2017, 10:29:56 AM

It may save us from google's monopoly in every related field of web?
Maybe. Smiley
bluefirecorp_

Merit: 152

View Profile
July 03, 2017, 05:19:09 PM

Not really. 99% of people wouldn't care to help decentralize the web. The last 1% would become supernodes and we'd have the centralization problem again. Take a look at BTC, it used to be anyone with a CPU could be part of the mining. Sure, that dual-core amd rig might only generate a few micro-btc per week, but it was feasible to mine with it.

Now-a-days, mining is owned by a few super nodes; those with the access to supply of hardware.

Decentralizing the internet would be an absolutely massive undertaking, considering it's already decentralized (feel free to advertise your own BGP routes, I just won't trust them Wink)

phantomof (OP)

View Profile
July 03, 2017, 10:01:23 PM

Not really. 99% of people wouldn't care to help decentralize the web. The last 1% would become supernodes and we'd have the centralization problem again. Take a look at BTC, it used to be anyone with a CPU could be part of the mining. Sure, that dual-core amd rig might only generate a few micro-btc per week, but it was feasible to mine with it.

Now-a-days, mining is owned by a few super nodes; those with the access to supply of hardware.

Decentralizing the internet would be an absolutely massive undertaking, considering it's already decentralized (feel free to advertise your own BGP routes, I just won't trust them Wink)
Decentralized internet is a game changer.
vinipoars

Activity: 581
Merit: 507

To the moon!

View Profile WWW
July 03, 2017, 10:32:05 PM

SHIFT is one of some good decentralized projects that we need to have a look, no doubt about it.
Vod
Legendary

Activity: 3696
Merit: 3074

Licking my boob since 1970

View Profile WWW
July 03, 2017, 10:33:53 PM

What if I want to visit an obscure website?  Without a centralized point of DNS, I'd have to rely on one of my peers knowing the IP address?

https://nastyscam.com - landing page up     https://vod.fan - advanced image hosting - coming soon!
OGNasty has early onset dementia; keep this in mind when discussing his past actions.
ahmedjamal1998

Activity: 714
Merit: 537

View Profile WWW
July 03, 2017, 11:33:22 PM

How do you want to make the web decentralized ??

This is just not the way how the internet we know now works.
The normal internet is that you visit a specific url on a server which has the info that you need.

How do you decentralize that? You might need to totally create a new version of the web or something (but I just can't imagine it ??
ghostunicorn

Activity: 168

View Profile
July 04, 2017, 12:01:31 AM

Why? People don't need any power on internet. The only power we need is the electricity.
birthaveskills3

Activity: 14

View Profile
July 04, 2017, 01:15:31 AM

Isn't that impossible? It's hard for me to imagine how it would work and if it would be totally decentralized.
bluefirecorp_

Merit: 152

View Profile
July 04, 2017, 01:39:04 AM
Last edit: July 04, 2017, 01:50:02 AM by bluefirecorp_

Y'all dumb. The Internet is already decentralized.

What if I want to visit an obscure website?  Without a centralized point of DNS, I'd have to rely on one of my peers knowing the IP address?

Hey man, no one's forcing you to use the architecture.

Blake_Last

Activity: 518
Merit: 278

View Profile
July 04, 2017, 01:55:04 AM

Is there anyone here uses Duckduckgo as their search engine? It's more secure and does not store your data or track you like what Google and Bing do. Aside from Duckduckgo, YaCy is also another comprehensive search portal similar to Duckduckgo. From their description, YaCy is a decentralized search engine that is not possible to censor as they do not share the content of their index and every search you made from them are private. Check those two out if you like.

phantomof (OP)

View Profile
July 04, 2017, 09:00:08 AM

Is there anyone here uses Duckduckgo as their search engine? It's more secure and does not store your data or track you like what Google and Bing do. Aside from Duckduckgo, YaCy is also another comprehensive search portal similar to Duckduckgo. From their description, YaCy is a decentralized search engine that is not possible to censor as they do not share the content of their index and every search you made from them are private. Check those two out if you like.
I use duckduckgo sometimes which is good.
fahrenz

View Profile
July 05, 2017, 07:46:58 PM

Privacy: Decentralisation forces an increased focus on data privacy. Data is distributed across the network and end-to-end encryption technologies are critical for ensuring that only authorized users can read and write. Access to the data itself is entirely controlled algorithmically by the network as opposed to more centralized networks where typically the owner of that network has full access to data, facilitating  customer profiling and ad targeting.

Data Portability: In a decentralized environment, users own their data and choose with whom they share this data. Moreover they retain control of it when they leave a given service provider (assuming the service even has the concept of service providers). This is important. If I want to move from General Motors to BMW today, why should I not be able to take my driving records with me? The same applies to chat platform history or health records.

Security: Finally, we live in a world of increased security threats. In a centralized environment, the bigger the silo, the bigger the honeypot is to attract bad actors. Decentralized environments are safer by their general nature against being hacked, infiltrated, acquired, bankrupted or otherwise compromised as they have been built to exist under public scrutiny from the outset.

https://techcrunch.com/2016/10/09/a-decentralized-web-would-give-power-back-to-the-people-online/

---

like freenet?
Ethix

Activity: 41

View Profile
July 05, 2017, 07:49:53 PM

i think shift is worthless
Green trust

View Profile
July 18, 2017, 09:54:18 PM

---

Good article.
Vod
Legendary

Activity: 3696
Merit: 3074

Licking my boob since 1970

View Profile WWW
July 18, 2017, 10:20:47 PM

Hey man, no one's forcing you to use the architecture.

The architecture will never work, for the reason I described above.

https://nastyscam.com - landing page up     https://vod.fan - advanced image hosting - coming soon!
OGNasty has early onset dementia; keep this in mind when discussing his past actions.
gotham8city

View Profile
July 19, 2017, 09:18:33 AM

i bought shift too. 4000 shift  Cool
Bobobog

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 11, 2017, 11:58:58 AM

Good article. shift's future looks promising.
silvaidael

Activity: 165

View Profile
August 11, 2017, 12:56:20 PM

maybe, but I think we don't need much power in internet.
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: