Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 12:55:30 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The China Hype Fades Away  (Read 8289 times)
ThatDGuy

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 06:28:33 PM

China is coming... the quote below is what its like to really invest.  Especially a year ago when (like China now) service was thinner. 

tl;dr: It takes a month+ to do more then just stick your toe in.

I also think that a lot of you old timers mis-estimate the time and effort it takes for a noobie to bootstrap.  It goes something like this:

1. Read about it, overcome the negative stigma that comes with SR, gambling, etc.
2. Make a small investment using bitinstant (edit: or direct person 2 person, etc)
3. Learn a ton about the banking system, chargebacks, how FED creates $.
4. Ask all the noobie questions "why can't someone just [print more bitcoins, steal your wallet, turn off the network, make it illegal]".  What's it backed by anyway? :-)
5. Read enough about it to stress about all the scammers hacked wallets and failed exchanges, etc.
6. Start the KYC process with an exchange that has about 5000 totally obscure and difficult to use ways to deposit money.
7. Tortuously move small chunks of fiat into the exchange
8. start buying
9. freak out about failed exchanges, possibility of USB stick failure, etc
10. start looking at paper/brain wallets
11. Get your head around the idea of actually holding your own money somewhere
12. Create isolated new install VM to make a paper wallet.  You can't outsource this to some client-side web script (if you really want a secure wallet)!
13. TEST the paper wallet concept (requires an entire blockchain sync from scratch).
14. KYC finally comes through!
15. DAMMIT price has doubled :-)

This was my path anyway...

For HNWIs its got to happen with both them AND their advisor (who's gonna do all the work).

So people who might have gotten interested in bitcoin during the Euro financial uncertainty may just now be starting to move from a few hundred BTC trial investment to an actual acquisition strategy.

This is very accurate. Process is slow.

YES!  This is how it is!  If someone can make an easier way for the average person to get into BTC there will be no stopping it.  Sure there is a learning curve at the beginning, but once we choose to invest it still takes so long and is very frustrating.  I have a friend that wanted to buy but never did because it was too complicated.  She is very smart too and somewhat comfortable with technology, but just getting cash into BTC is not easy.  I would probably have invested even more if it was easier to do so. 

It will certainly help, but honestly I don't think I would believe in Bitcoin and cryptocurrencies in general as much if I hadn't spent that much time wrapping my head around them.

Short term, though,you're absolutely right: being able to get money in and out easier would (and will!) mean the future bubbles or hype cycles are potentially huge...

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: the cutting edge of begging technology." -- Giraffe.BTC
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
dancupid

Activity: 955
Merit: 1002

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 06:33:26 PM

the graph is deceptive
here is the search but for year 2013
https://www.google.com/trends/explore#q=%E6%AF%94%E7%89%B9%E5%B8%81&date=1%2F2013%2012m&cmpt=q
everything changes.

Google is not a good indicator as it is blocked in China

Google is not blocked in China

Chinese people don't typically use Google though (I live in Shanghai) - Baidu is the search engine of choice.
Though the Google trends stats is obviously still a good indicator
RationalSpeculator

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

This bull will try to shake you off. Hold tight!

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 06:35:27 PM

It's not necessarily a bad thing.  The average Chinese speculator chases bubble like everyone else, but with special zeal and gusto.  If they don't get rich quick on bitcoins they'll find something else to inflate.

Example.  The garlic bubble of 2010:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/jul/30/garlic-chinese-commodity-bubble

There were media reports from the time of speculators buying truckloads of garlic and hoarding them, hoping to get rich quick.  The whole bubble popped of course and the speculators rightfully got burned.

That's fun Grin I didn't know that happened. Some of the Chinese aren't much wiser than 17th century dutch people. Thanks for sharing.

Makes me think of Hugh Hendry too: 'thou shalt not invest in overcapacity!'
bootlace (OP)

Activity: 364
Merit: 100

Justice as a Service Infrastructure

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 07:21:06 PM

the graph is deceptive
here is the search but for year 2013
https://www.google.com/trends/explore#q=%E6%AF%94%E7%89%B9%E5%B8%81&date=1%2F2013%2012m&cmpt=q
everything changes.

Google is not a good indicator as it is blocked in China

Google is not blocked in China

Chinese people don't typically use Google though (I live in Shanghai) - Baidu is the search engine of choice.
Though the Google trends stats is obviously still a good indicator

You're right about Google not being popular over there, lived in Shanghai 5 years myself.

J U R      |      The Justice as a Service Infrastructure      |      JUR ALLIANCE                      ═════════════════
      SMART LEGAL AGREEMENT.  ESCROW.  DECENTRALIZED DISPUTE RESOLUTION.        ║  JOIN JUR PRESALE  ║     
 ●         WHITEPAPER         TECH PAPER         GITHUB         MEDIUM         TELEGRAM                 ═════════════════
oda.krell
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1007

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 10:18:49 PM

Are you kidding?

It's been 6 days, everyone who downloaded the wallet, they probably still have another good 8 months until the blockchain finishes downloading. Hang in there, the China wave is coming, and it will be huge!

This... this is hypnotic. I've been watching it now for 5 about minutes straight. In not entirely unrelated news, I have the weirdest boner right now.

Not sure which Bitcoin wallet you should use? Get Electrum!
Electrum is an open-source lightweight client: fast, user friendly, and 100% secure.
Download the source or executables for Windows/OSX/Linux/Android from, and only from, the official Electrum homepage.
Rampion
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1017

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 10:31:23 PM

China is coming... the quote below is what its like to really invest.  Especially a year ago when (like China now) service was thinner. 

tl;dr: It takes a month+ to do more then just stick your toe in.

I also think that a lot of you old timers mis-estimate the time and effort it takes for a noobie to bootstrap.  It goes something like this:

1. Read about it, overcome the negative stigma that comes with SR, gambling, etc.
2. Make a small investment using bitinstant (edit: or direct person 2 person, etc)
3. Learn a ton about the banking system, chargebacks, how FED creates $.
4. Ask all the noobie questions "why can't someone just [print more bitcoins, steal your wallet, turn off the network, make it illegal]".  What's it backed by anyway? :-)
5. Read enough about it to stress about all the scammers hacked wallets and failed exchanges, etc.
6. Start the KYC process with an exchange that has about 5000 totally obscure and difficult to use ways to deposit money.
7. Tortuously move small chunks of fiat into the exchange
8. start buying
9. freak out about failed exchanges, possibility of USB stick failure, etc
10. start looking at paper/brain wallets
11. Get your head around the idea of actually holding your own money somewhere
12. Create isolated new install VM to make a paper wallet.  You can't outsource this to some client-side web script (if you really want a secure wallet)!
13. TEST the paper wallet concept (requires an entire blockchain sync from scratch).
14. KYC finally comes through!
15. DAMMIT price has doubled :-)

This was my path anyway...

For HNWIs its got to happen with both them AND their advisor (who's gonna do all the work).

So people who might have gotten interested in bitcoin during the Euro financial uncertainty may just now be starting to move from a few hundred BTC trial investment to an actual acquisition strategy.

This is very accurate. Process is slow.

YES!  This is how it is!  If someone can make an easier way for the average person to get into BTC there will be no stopping it.  Sure there is a learning curve at the beginning, but once we choose to invest it still takes so long and is very frustrating.  I have a friend that wanted to buy but never did because it was too complicated.  She is very smart too and somewhat comfortable with technology, but just getting cash into BTC is not easy.  I would probably have invested even more if it was easier to do so. 

It will certainly help, but honestly I don't think I would believe in Bitcoin and cryptocurrencies in general as much if I hadn't spent that much time wrapping my head around them.

Short term, though,you're absolutely right: being able to get money in and out easier would (and will!) mean the future bubbles or hype cycles are potentially huge...

Both points are entirely correct.

I guess that everybody with a few Bitcoins, even if they where bought in the middle of the bubble, a verified account and some fiat in an exchange can rightfully call himself an "early adopter"  Grin

gogxmagog
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1009

Ad maiora!

View Profile
May 10, 2013, 01:01:30 AM

The feeling I get is more Chinese will mine BTC rather than purchase it outright. esp at these current prices. so, most likely lots more BTC going into circulation. we will have to see, wont we.
bitcon
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1008

View Profile
May 10, 2013, 01:58:02 AM

Are you kidding?

It's been 6 days, everyone who downloaded the wallet, they probably still have another good 8 months until the blockchain finishes downloading. Hang in there, the China wave is coming, and it will be huge!

This... this is hypnotic. I've been watching it now for 5 about minutes straight. In not entirely unrelated news, I have the weirdest boner right now.

boners on the rise, BTCh falling....
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
May 10, 2013, 02:26:23 AM

China has more Bitcoin mining going on than any other country. Looks pretty popular to me.
http://blockchain.info/nodes-globe

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
randrace

Activity: 329

LTC -> BTC -> Silver!

View Profile
May 10, 2013, 02:42:07 AM

Speak for yourself, I am still pumped.
Zaih

Activity: 504

View Profile
May 10, 2013, 03:14:40 AM

Obviously nothing amazing was going to come of it instantly. Give it some time fella's.
Crazy

Activity: 182
Merit: 106

View Profile
May 10, 2013, 06:28:01 AM

ITT everyone acts like thousands of people weren't just burned by a massive bubble that still hasn't fully corrected, and the "new" Asian investors aren't able to see this and act with extreme caution (or take no action at all).

Elon Krusky
Zaih

Activity: 504

View Profile
May 10, 2013, 06:32:01 AM

ITT everyone acts like thousands of people weren't just burned by a massive bubble that still hasn't fully corrected, and the "new" Asian investors aren't able to see this and act with extreme caution (or take no action at all).

ITT: People trying to manipulate price*
Crazy

Activity: 182
Merit: 106

View Profile
May 10, 2013, 06:33:10 AM

That too Cheesy

Elon Krusky
randrace

Activity: 329

LTC -> BTC -> Silver!

View Profile
May 10, 2013, 06:44:02 AM

Congrats! This  thread has now surpassed Please stop with the China hype in page views, making it the second most viewed thread with the words China and Hype in the title! Look out, For those who still doubt China is a hype, your days are numbered!!!
lophie

Activity: 924
Merit: 1001

Unlimited Free Crypto

View Profile
May 10, 2013, 07:05:20 AM

Are you kidding?

I know right!!! This chick is so hot I almost put a sell order instead of a buy order!

Will take me a while to climb up again, But where is a will, there is a way...
lysr

Activity: 161
Merit: 11

View Profile
May 10, 2013, 08:49:34 AM

+1
BitPirate

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

RMBTB.com: The secure BTC:CNY exchange. 0% fee!

View Profile
May 10, 2013, 09:00:40 AM

China hype fades away... maybe... Price looks fine though.

About 3 new China BTC exchanges have been launched in the past week. Should give you some idea of the interest.

And the best one is yet to launch ;-) Link is probably being announced tomorrow -- PM me if you want a preview.

viboracecata
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1000

Varanida : Fair & Transparent Digital Ecosystem

View Profile
May 10, 2013, 09:11:16 AM

Do you guys know how Chinese fought for the gold price downturn? Especially many many grandpas and grandmas...

If we can teach them bitcoins are better than gold, then you will laugh to wake.

iBuilding A Better Interneti
━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━ ━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

█b
▐█=
║█
██                                         ¡▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄┌
██M                                  ╒▄▄▄▄█▀    ▂▂ ╙▀▀▆▄
██▌                                ╓, ,██╨      ▀▀▀    ╜▀█▌
███                                ▀▀██╙     ▄▄▄▄▄      ╓█L
█ █▌                            ▄▄▄▄█▀          └▀▀▀▀█Φ█▀"
█▌ █▄                            ██▀           ▄█▀
▐▌  ▀▌                       ▀▄██▀            ▄▀
▐█     ▂▂▂                ▄  ▄█▀           ▄▄▀
 █▌  ╙▀▀▀▀▀█▄         ▄   ███▀     ▁▂▃▄▄▄█▀▀
  █▄        █▌    █▄  ██▄█▀        ▔▔╙▀▐█
   █▄       █▌ ▀▀████▀▀▀               ▐▌
    ▀█     █▀                          ▐▌
     ╙█▄  ▄▌                        ╓█ ▐█
       └▀██  ╓▄▄µ╓▄▄µ            ,▄█▀┘  █▌    ▄▄ ╓▄▄µ
         ██▄█▀▀███▀▀█▄       ╓▄▄█▀▀      ▀█▄█▀▀▀██▄╙▀█▄▄
          ▀╙    ▀▀▀  ▀▀▀  ▀▀▀▀╙           `      "▀▀  └╙
You Can See Me Now, Hi :}
VARANIDA

▄██   ▄███▄
              ▄███████  ██
              ██    ▀████▀
             ██
  ▄▄  ▄▄█████████████▄▄  ▄▄
▄███████████████████████████▄
█████████████████████████████
▀███████    █████    ███████▀
  ▀█████    █████    █████▀
   ███████████████████████
    █████▄  ▀▀▀▀▀  ▄█████
     ▀█████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█████▀
        ▀▀█████████▀▀
|Hello Again
GWhitePaperG
GAnn ThreadG
lysr

Activity: 161
Merit: 11

View Profile
May 10, 2013, 09:19:30 AM

Do you guys know how Chinese fought for the gold price downturn? Especially many many grandpas and grandmas...

If we can teach them bitcoins are better than gold, then you will laugh to wake.
Good luck with teaching the grandpas and grandmas what Bitcoin is, helping them with the hassle of downloading a 10gb blockchain and persuading them to buy something that does not really exist. The Chinese people in the last generation are very conservative and undereducated, they still believe in the lies from the CCP and chairman Mao, do you really expect them to buy a Bitcoin? Yes, but only when the CCP or chairman Mao asks them.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: