Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 04:05:30 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Ethereum Mining vs Buying  (Read 614 times)
thsart (OP)

Activity: 13
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 06, 2017, 06:24:45 PM

I have a complete newbie question. I have $1000 to start and I'm looking at these 2 options to purchase Ethereum.

1. Just buy Ethereum at the open market. Price around $300

2. Buying a cloud mining contract from Genesis Mining
- 2 Years Ether Mining
- Price: $869
- $30 MH/s

Help me with the math. What is the best option.

The block chain is the main innovation of Bitcoin. It is the first distributed timestamping system.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
iminethereforeiam

Activity: 110
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 06, 2017, 06:48:16 PM

I would just buy ETH from a good exchange. I experimented with a small ETH mining contract with Genesis Mining in summer, and the experience was not good.
RentGPU

Activity: 661
Merit: 258

View Profile
November 06, 2017, 06:55:40 PM

If you take 2017 as an example, if you bought any eth or zec ....etc , you would make much more profit than mining , just buy and hold .

2016 GPU Miner
lodyman

Activity: 184
Merit: 101

if you need help , drop me a pm

View Profile
November 06, 2017, 07:47:46 PM

buying eth is more convenient and faster than mining
however
if you got 1k usd to invest i'd advice buying soon cuz eth is on a drop for now
"because people are dumping it to buy btc to benefit from the hard fork .. do your research on that"
anyway ETH will rise in about a month to reach a good point

*do some searches before investing hard earned money into crypto currencies and know all the risks involved**

Eatbatterys

Activity: 406
Merit: 170

View Profile
November 06, 2017, 07:49:46 PM

Definitely just go buy some Eth. Don't invest in cloud mining contracts.

While it is certainly possible to potentially profit from them, that likelihood is incredibly low.

Cloud mining contracts are buying under the assumption that profitability will continue to rise while difficult will continue to stagnate. In reality, profitability tends to decline over time as difficult continues to rise over time.

Twinkledoe

Activity: 1904
Merit: 138

★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!

View Profile
November 06, 2017, 07:56:08 PM

If you take 2017 as an example, if you bought any eth or zec ....etc , you would make much more profit than mining , just buy and hold .

I think the same also. Based from what I was reading regarding cloud mining contracts, whatever they offer is really not true. That you really can't achieve your ROI for a specified time.

So buying eth is more than plausible action, at least you are holding your own money and not the other third party entity that you won't know what will happen to your investment.
thsart (OP)

Activity: 13

View Profile
November 06, 2017, 09:35:07 PM

buying eth is more convenient and faster than mining
however
if you got 1k usd to invest i'd advice buying soon cuz eth is on a drop for now
"because people are dumping it to buy btc to benefit from the hard fork .. do your research on that"
anyway ETH will rise in about a month to reach a good point

*do some searches before investing hard earned money into crypto currencies and know all the risks involved**

I've read about the forking and thought best to stay away until the dust clears but also see the hype about it being "free" money.
bobbit6k

Activity: 15

View Profile
November 06, 2017, 10:41:16 PM

I'd buy eth and I'd add some coins with low supply, low unitary cost and high volume.
:-)
Za1n
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1011

View Profile
November 07, 2017, 12:50:26 AM

I have a complete newbie question. I have $1000 to start and I'm looking at these 2 options to purchase Ethereum.

1. Just buy Ethereum at the open market. Price around $300

2. Buying a cloud mining contract from Genesis Mining
- 2 Years Ether Mining
- Price: $869
- $30 MH/s

Help me with the math. What is the best option.

Just buy Ethereum. Cloud contracts are dubious and there is a good chance you would not even get your money back with one. If you want to mine you would be better off building your own rig.
For $1,000 you could buy a single Nvidia GTX 1080Ti ($700) and a single Ethereum coin. Put the GPU into your current desktop and you will get more hashrate than the mining contract, plus you would have an Ethereum to hold.
f1st1y@rt3

Activity: 33

View Profile
November 07, 2017, 01:01:11 AM

I have a 2 years contract with genesis mining for 1Mhs for me doesnt work i have to wait a year for my first payout and i have a small rig i spend 780$ on 1 rx550 1 rx560 1 rx460, psu, cpu and mtb my reported hashrate with claymore is 32,5Mh/s
I recomend to you if you want mine eth build your own rig
lodyman

Activity: 184
Merit: 101

if you need help , drop me a pm

View Profile
November 07, 2017, 01:55:15 PM

anyone can teach me how to ethereum mining with my laptop by cpu/vga? thanks
Mining with labtop can be harsh on it .. will get too hot as it's not designed for this kind of load
and also you need vga card with more than 2gb of vram for dag file "the file created by miner" to be on it
go with a desktop its alot better

nitrousteam

Activity: 154
Merit: 15

View Profile
November 07, 2017, 03:06:36 PM

Cloud mining results in a small return of money. You can make more profit investing, buying ETH and waiting for the right moment to reinvest. It is profitable if you have your mining system for someone's electricity. ETH has the different chain in compare to BTC and it is easier to mine. I don't suggest cloud mining but it is your choice in the end.

CONTRACTNET     |     At the intersection of Blockchain, IOT & SMART CONTRACTS             
|     WHITEPAPER     |     TWITTER     |      TELEGRAM     
████████████████████████  [  JOIN ICO   ●   10th MARCH  ] ████████████████████████
Bonsaiav

Activity: 602
Merit: 118

View Profile
November 07, 2017, 03:07:25 PM

Use your $ 1000 to buy.
Purchase, then Hold. is the right step to do right now, given the fluctuations occurring in etheral, etheral has been decreased sharply at this time.

baga105

Activity: 362
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 07, 2017, 03:34:18 PM

Buy and hold.. Do not waste your money with "mining contracts"... Thy are usually selling low hashpower for high $$...

Ass, Gas or Grass! No one rides for free!
JSEcoin

Activity: 261

View Profile
November 07, 2017, 04:35:26 PM

Buy ETH on exchange, it's going to be less risky with arguably more upside potential if the price and competition increases. The price has been stagnating recently due to the BTC fork but it should rise in the medium term as ETH is used widely for ICO's and smart contracts so there is strong demand outside of raw speculation.

JSEcoin is a browser mined blockchain, powered by webmasters and built for mainstream adoption
Live platform since August 2017 - ICO starts 11th July 2018
https://jsecoin.com
vanillalatte

Activity: 105

View Profile
November 07, 2017, 07:27:09 PM

I prefer mining altcoin before i can buy eth
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: