Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 12:41:36 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Until how long will GPU mining last?  (Read 5507 times)
Fr33M@n

Activity: 36
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 07, 2017, 02:40:42 PM

GPU mining will last as long as it will be profitable. When there will be too much miners, the difficulty will drop, and more will join. At some moment there will be an equilibrium that will rise and lower.
Too much miners will not drop difficulty level but it will rise it due to nature of crypto. Same as with btc.

Nobody could answer for how long it will be profitable but best move would be to diversify your rigs - mix of radeon and nvidia because these can be profitable at different moments with different coins.

To get the point what is more profitable to mine you can temporarily use nicehash to get that info and then get back to your usual pool.
If you are really a complete newbie on mining altcoin then nicehash would be really userfirendly since its not too technical and you can easily set-it up  and talking about difficulty that its just normal to think that it would normally rise since there are already lots of miners of a particular coin and as you said we can see it also on bitcoin which means profits would really lessen up overtime but still no need to worry there are lots of coins to choose from.

The reason why I mentioned nicehash is only to get the idea or fresh info of what people on similar places consider profitable coin for exact hardware to mine, that's why I said temporarily (just to get info for your hardware) and after you get info you can get back to your usual pool <== this is the scenario only if you don't know what is better to mine for your hardware, but if you are not noob then probably you already have your own sources of this info
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
rogeriosmorais

Activity: 26

View Profile
July 07, 2017, 02:47:17 PM

Most new coins are moving away from PoW, so probably the party won't last long. When Ethereum goes PoS everyone will switch to smaller coins, making none of them profitable. There's won't be big new coins to replace Ethereum.
Antikais

Activity: 236
Merit: 101

View Profile
July 07, 2017, 03:29:45 PM

Most new coins are moving away from PoW, so probably the party won't last long. When Ethereum goes PoS everyone will switch to smaller coins, making none of them profitable. There's won't be big new coins to replace Ethereum.

but i think when they switch to smaller coins ,the price of smaller coins will rise.

ASSETA - Blockchain based borderless crypto bank | ICO | DISCUSSION THREAD | BOUNTIES
btcgolong

Activity: 451
Merit: 269

View Profile
July 07, 2017, 03:39:55 PM
Last edit: July 07, 2017, 04:06:38 PM by btcgolong

I recently tried setting up another mining rig but found out all the profitable GPUs are no longer available at all local stores in my country. According to the distributors, people have been buying GPUs in BULK since April 2017.

At this rate, can GPU mining still be profitable long term? 1 year from now? 3 years from now?

No one knows...if some coins lose value or switch to PoS, you can move to another coin. From a business standpoint, if you are "in the black"; made your initial investment back and are turning a profit, no matter how small, you are doing okay.

There were some times, early on with bitcoin, when it was cheaper to buy coins on the market then to mine them...
rogeriosmorais

View Profile
July 07, 2017, 05:01:15 PM

but i think when they switch to smaller coins ,the price of smaller coins will rise.

Mining raises coin offer, lots of new people trying to sell, same people trying to buy. How is that going to rise the price? Market logic says mining will tank the diminish value by raising offer without raising demand.
Georgos

Activity: 37

View Profile
July 07, 2017, 05:23:54 PM

GPU mining will last as long as there will be crypto-currencies. That will always be profitable for someone Wink ! Plus we all thought GPU mining was dead, but Ethereum revived it two times. And yet that is sure there will not be a third time because of Casper, there will still be some coin a day or another, just as ZCash, that will pop up out of nowhere and will be profitable.
rogeriosmorais

View Profile
July 07, 2017, 08:54:06 PM

GPU mining will last as long as there will be crypto-currencies.

Correction: GPU mining will last as long as there will be PoW crypto-currencies without ASICs, which is NOT the most wanted choice for future currencies.
hyet24

Activity: 166
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 07, 2017, 09:07:22 PM

Its possible but it would take years or maybe early.  I saw 2013 and how it ended.  People says there is other coins to mine dont realize users is what keep mining alive.   As a common user why use smaller coin when eth or btc is availible widely.  Problem with smaller coins is up to how strong the marketing without that no money for the future.
LegendaryMiner

Activity: 407
Merit: 250

DAG, Built-in Chat and Conditional Payments

View Profile
July 07, 2017, 09:53:03 PM

I recently tried setting up another mining rig but found out all the profitable GPUs are no longer available at all local stores in my country. According to the distributors, people have been buying GPUs in BULK since April 2017.

At this rate, can GPU mining still be profitable long term? 1 year from now? 3 years from now?
In such a scenario it is likely that we will see the mining difficulty increasing sharply, but if there is also a price increase, mining could remain profitable for over a year. The problem is that most of these alts are in a bubble, and it brings the risk of big losses to miners.

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: