Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 03:32:04 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: RE-EDIT**EDIT*: How to SAFELY sell Bitcoins on eBay  (Read 21819 times)
adamas
Legendary

Activity: 1014
Merit: 1003

VIS ET LIBERTAS

View Profile WWW
May 19, 2013, 11:00:47 AM

IMPORTANT EDIT
See OP
But if your ebay acc was restricted, how comes you still sell casascius coins and bills?

Didn't I already tell you it was because he made a new ebay account!
I didnt ask you!

"Es ist kein Zeichen geistiger Gesundheit, gut angepasst an eine kranke Gesellschaft zu sein."

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES I HA(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ TABLES I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Harry33

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 19, 2013, 12:49:52 PM

Good info here.
wolfgod

Activity: 21

View Profile
May 27, 2013, 08:49:39 PM

I Have a question, I have been doing screen recording when I am paying someone with bitcoins, do you think that is a good proof? My Second question is I see this last ebay guy who was bad reputation for charge backs with paypal and buying bitcoins, can i refuse to sell him the bitcoin?
johnniewalker (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 02, 2013, 03:15:23 AM
Last edit: June 02, 2013, 03:44:43 AM by johnniewalker

I Have a question, I have been doing screen recording when I am paying someone with bitcoins, do you think that is a good proof? My Second question is I see this last ebay guy who was bad reputation for charge backs with paypal and buying bitcoins, can i refuse to sell him the bitcoin?

Not trolling or anything but didn't you read the OP.  He got his account limited for selling bitcoin.  Along with my pleas to the noobs to not risk it and others as well. Please heed the warning.  No safe way exists to sell btc on eBay.
Actually, that is incorrect. It is possible to sell bitcoins on eBay, and not do so "in secret" or by any illegitimate means. You see, it wasn't my eBay account that was suspended (sorry if I didn't make that clear), it was my PayPal account that was suspended. First of all, to answer the question of why I still had things listed on eBay is because people had bid on them, and I was going to have PayPal explain to them why they couldn't buy the item-I wasn't about to do it.

Anyways, PayPal is the accepted form of payment of 95% of eBay sellers. Why? Becayse eBay owns PayPal. So, that is the default method and it is rather difficult to change your accepted method of payment. HOWEVER, eBay allows, to name a few, credit card merchant accounts, Skrill (owned by PayPal I think) and ProPay. Yesterday I signed up for an "auction account" with ProPay. It only cost $5 (a BIG promotion...I think its like $50 usually). So, I changed my default accepted payment method to ProPay. ProPay doesn't have the restriction(s) on selling anything "Bitcoin" that PayPal does. And, it operates the same way-customers pay with major credit cards and I, the merchant, never have access to their credit card info. SO, as long as PayPal is not your accepted payment method, you can sell bitcoins on eBay (eBay does not have the restrictions-PayPal does).

To answer another question I saw, I wouldn't sell bitcoins electronically no matter what. A screen shot doesn't mean much in terms of evidence (you'll have people saying you manipulated it, etc). So, my "method of selling bitcoins on eBay IS safe, as long as you don't have PayPal set as your method of accepted payment.

I listed an item as soon as my registration with ProPay was completed yesterday. Take that and go **** yourself, PayPal.
johnniewalker (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 02, 2013, 03:19:59 AM

I've heard that Paypal is freezing accts of people who sell Bitcoins on ebay.  I don't know if this is true but it makes me think twice.   Paypal doesn't like ebay because it is their competition so not surprised they would do this.
Very incorrect. eBay owns PayPal. PayPal does not allow the sale of bitcoins because of all the problems it caused (chargebacks, etc)
johnniewalker (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 02, 2013, 03:21:48 AM

good idea, thanks for the tip. Last year I made a small 3 digits loss on ebay because of paypal chargebacks of bitcoins. Learned my lesson

It was bad even a year ago?

If PayPal is an 'eBay company', and if PayPal does not allow the sale of BitCoin, then why doesn't eBay prevent its sale? There is no restriction at all for selling BitCoin on eBay, only with using PayPal for the payment.

Any restriction on PayPal is defacto a restriction on ebay as you MUST accept PayPal as a condition of listing on ebay.  Just because ebay doesn't kill every listing within seconds doesn't mean they support it.  There are something like 20 million auctions on ebay at any particular time.  It simply isn't cost effective to monitor them all continually.

It would be like a cop stops you for speeding 75 in a 60.  You say to the cop "if speeding is illegal then why didn't someone stop me yesterday when I was speeding?  Obviously you must be incorrect and speeding is not illegal"  Smiley
100% incorrect. There are several other payment methods besides PayPal that eBay allows.
johnniewalker (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 02, 2013, 03:25:04 AM

not a legal or illegal matter here. Let's pull out some crayons. ...

Nobody walks totally bind into the world of crypto currency. The only real reason one would buy coin useing eBay would be due to lack of ability to use liberty reserve, dowalla etc. Anyone can use PayPal.  Really you don't even need an account to use it.  Just a green dot card and internet access. So the folks that have fucked themselves away from the table and have been somehow shunned by banks,  creditors and the like really have no other choice but to use PayPal for a fuck ton of online transactions. 

Other folk like Johnny Walker know this and inflate prices and use eBay as a personal means of exchange.  For one you have to ask yourself who's the bigger scammer.  The dickwad requesting a charge back or the cum dumpster baby inflateing coin for an extra dollar.

Further with the little knowlege of price of tea going into it.  Who would want to use hard earned money they own to buy that shit?  The other big red flag is phished PayPal accounts. A charge back might not come from the dick head that actually bought the coin and dumped it within a few hours after receiveing.  More then likely it's going to be Maria Ortega. From the indian reservation who doesn't have a fucking clue what btc is to begin with.

All I'm saying is pretty clear. It isn't worth the few exra dollars in hassle.  If you want to help the newbs get some btc show them.  But show them how we get it. Work for it, sell something and show them escrow do anything else other then be a fucking dick about it. ..jus sayin
Who are you? You are spreading FUD and lacing your posts with so much profanity and just grossness that its hard to read. You think that I (a single person) can inflate the price of bitcoins? Wow, thanks for putting me on such high a pedestal! Its called making as much money as you can. You have a problem with that?
grahvity

Activity: 150
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
June 02, 2013, 04:45:15 AM

I have no experience in this matter but what about a stealth PayPal account? Could you link to it instead of your regular PayPal account and if it gets restricted, just shed it off and get another one?

COINIGYProfessional Tools For Cryptocurrency Traders ◾️ The Rational Investor’s School For Trader Development
johnniewalker (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 02, 2013, 05:54:41 AM

I have no experience in this matter but what about a stealth PayPal account? Could you link to it instead of your regular PayPal account and if it gets restricted, just shed it off and get another one?
What is a stealth PayPal account ?
And no,  not likely considering you have to have a card tied to your account. I suppose you could get one of those gift Visa cards. But any money you make via PayPal you'd have to spend online. You wouldn't be able to link it to your bank account.
Plus I sold a lot on eBay, so PayPal gave me a debit card and I had instant access to my money as soon as the customer paid.

data_teks

Activity: 267
Merit: 101

View Profile
June 03, 2013, 02:54:59 PM

Glad you're back up and running. Only thing I would advise is be careful with ProPay as well as they have pretty much the same rules as Paypal in regards to prohibited sales:

Prohibited Activities
:

• Virtual currency that can be monetized, re-sold, or converted to physical/digital goods/services or otherwise exit the virtual world
  • Currency (In and out of circulation), Currency exchange or dealer
  • Financial transactions, including but not limited to: quasi cash, stored value foreign currency, money orders, wire transfers, securities and check cashing.
  • Money Transmitter
  • Money Service Businesses (e.g. seller/issuer/redeemer of traveler's checks, money orders, or open stored value cards)

Now whether or not ProPay thinks bitcoins and bitcoin related items fall into any of these categories, I have no idea.  However, due to the lack of people being able to buy Bitcoins with credit card (outside of Paypal), I don't think ProPay has even had to deal with it yet.  So you may fly under the radar for quite some time unless your account gets a lot of chargebacks.

Now one thing that sucks about ProPay is you are charged a $15 fee for every dispute opened against you; even if you win, you still have to pay it.
GalaxyASIC

Activity: 130

View Profile
July 06, 2013, 03:33:35 AM

Why not just have buyers withdraw cash from paypla card or just get cash together, do direct bank deposit in cash into your bank account, once deposited can't be charged back, and you can proceed to dispense bitcoins, and your reputation on ebay is indication that you don't screw people.

HashFast REFUND ! I am a HashFast's Batch 1 customer and I want full 100% BTC refund.
TitanBTC

Activity: 366
Merit: 258

View Profile WWW
August 19, 2013, 04:32:37 PM

What is a stealth PayPal account ?
And no,  not likely considering you have to have a card tied to your account. I suppose you could get one of those gift Visa cards. But any money you make via PayPal you'd have to spend online. You wouldn't be able to link it to your bank account.
Plus I sold a lot on eBay, so PayPal gave me a debit card and I had instant access to my money as soon as the customer paid.

The "Stealth Paypal account" is what I got hit with, actually.  It was an account that was funded using information from a stolen identity.  The person who was named on the account had no idea it existed.  They just reported the fraudulent credit card activity when they eventually noticed it. 

I lost $1,100 to that particular scammer.  They like to target bitcoin sales on eBay because of the fast, irreversible nature of the transfer.  I did some research after getting burned a few times selling bitcoins on eBay.  If you dig a little into the "carding" community, they have come up with LOTS of ways to get cash from stealth paypal accounts.

I appreciate your efforts to steer eBay sellers in the right direction, Johnniewalker.  It's going to be a risky endeavor selling bitcoins person-to-person, though, until we have a Paypal like service that allows bitcoin sales explicitly and accepts the confirmations from the bitcoin network as "Delivery confirmation".

geoffreyqp

Activity: 712
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 27, 2013, 12:51:04 PM

does anybody have any experience selling casascius coins and ONLY accepting direct bank deposit?

how much of a markdown should i expect from the expected value?

any comments appreciated
BCTrader68

Activity: 5

View Profile
January 09, 2014, 05:48:07 PM

Doesn't matter. The sale of Bitcoins is not allowed on ebay, nor are paypal payments allowed as per the policies they set up.
anyone4u

Activity: 140

View Profile
January 09, 2014, 06:01:17 PM

strange how they don't accept it but tons of bitcoin sells are on ebay and I don't see most of them getting removed. Also if sending people your bank routing info, they can online check how much money you have and remove your money if they choose to do so. Thats what the nigerian scammers do. There is basically no reprocussion the bank has told me that you can do once the transfer has been done. This would seem not to be so but its the way it works.
UnoLou2

Activity: 11

View Profile
March 18, 2015, 01:43:54 AM

**There is always a risk selling digital goods. PayPal was initially the culprit that made it such that I could not sell bitcoins on eBay. That was after I had done A LOT of transactions involving bitcoins. I would bet that if you do one or two transactions selling bitcoins and using PayPal as your accepted Payment method, you'll be ok. But once you start doing more volume (like I was), you appear on PayPal's radar. I honestly think they target volume-sellers to sort of make a statement. Anyway, the important thing to realize is that even though it certainly seems this way, eBay DOES NOT equal PayPal. eBay owns PayPal, pushes it as accepted method of payment, and thus 95% of sellers use it to accept payment. However, PayPal IS NOT the only accepted form of payment by eBay. You can use your credit card merchant account (if you have one), Skrill (owned by PayPal, I believe), ProPay, one more I want to say, and "payment upon [local] pickup". So, so long as PayPal is not your accepted form of payment, my method of selling bitcoins will generally work. All it is really is a system to make sure that someone cannot come back and say they never received the item you sold and sent to them. Scammers are clever though,and constantly coming up with methods to take your money. So, just use common sense and awareness to make sure that you aren't taken by a scammer.**

*This is a safe method if you only use it once or twice. After more than 20 transactions, PayPal has restricted my account, saying that their services cannot be used for currency exchange, check cashing, bitcoins and EVEN Bitcoin COLLECTIBLES (like a redeemed Casascius coin). I am fighting this because, for one thing, the restriction on collectibles is ABSOLUTELY ridiculous. Also, they say they do not allow their services to be used as currency exchanges. Well, all US currency ever produced is STILL legal tender (as is the case with other countries' currency, too). You know how many listings there are for say, Silver Eagles? With a LEGAL TENDER amount of $1? I could buy that with Euros if I wanted to. If thats not a currency exchange, what is it?*

I wanted to write up this guide, but wasn't sure where to put it. I decided here since it offers instruction, and I know not just newbie members check this board.

Anyways, I want to share with you a completely safe way to sell bitcoins on eBay. eBay and PayPal are covered in an aura of taboo in the bitcoin world. That's because-obviously-scammers use those methods to steal from you. And, both PayPal and eBay like the customer, so if you sell bitcoins for PayPal, you get back a nice fat chargeback.
The problem with selling bitcoins on eBay or for PayPal, by strictly sending them electronically is that there is no physical aspect involved. THAT is why PayPal sides with the buyer-they aren't used to selling digital goods, just tangible things. If you sell Bitcoins for PayPal, on eBay or elsewhere, you thus have to have something tangible involved-and if it has tracking, its virtually impossible to get a chargeback.
I have sold a lot of bitcoins on eBay. This is the way I do it: I simply print out a bitcoin bill (go to bitaddress.org, hit "bulk wallet" and under "generate", put the number of keypairs you would like made. 1 bitcoin bill=1 keypair. Then, go to printcoins.com, hit "print your own" and fill in the initial fields with whatever you want-they're just for fun-I put "Bank of Johnniewalker". In the big dialog box, copy and paste the entire keypair from bitaddress.org. Pick a design, then hit "Generate PDF of bills". If you have thicker paper, customers would be more impressed, but if not don't worry, just print the bill.)
NOW you have something tangible. If you sell through eBay, you can mail w/tracking for $1.69.
You tell the customer that once the bill is made, you destroy all data pertaining to it (and you do-don't be a scammer). Thus, once they receive the bitcoin bill (still it has 0 balance) they need to send you a message with the public address of the bill. Once they give it to you, send the funds to the address, go to blockchain.info, enter the public address, and take a screenshot for confirmation of funds sent.

.....aaaaaaand you're done!

Thank you for posting this method but and I tried to follow this method, however I found that there are no a lot of bidders for this kind of auction, and if there is I'm assuming that the final price won't be as high as if you were sending the Bitcoins directly to someone's wallet once payment is made. I am trying to use a insurance tool for this if it works that I would like to insure other Ebay sellers. > https://www.betmoose.com/bet/chargeback-insurance-from-paypal-ebay-1149
adamas
Legendary

Activity: 1014
Merit: 1003

VIS ET LIBERTAS

View Profile WWW
March 19, 2015, 09:30:32 AM

Thank you for posting this method but and I tried to follow this method, however I found that there are no a lot of bidders for this kind of auction, and if there is I'm assuming that the final price won't be as high as if you were sending the Bitcoins directly to someone's wallet once payment is made. I am trying to use a insurance tool for this if it works that I would like to insure other Ebay sellers. > https://www.betmoose.com/bet/chargeback-insurance-from-paypal-ebay-1149
Does it work?

"Es ist kein Zeichen geistiger Gesundheit, gut angepasst an eine kranke Gesellschaft zu sein."
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456

View Profile
March 19, 2015, 09:52:17 AM

Does it work?

Betting on if a chargeback?   It seems like a bad person could do it since it tells auction.

This just seems crazy to bet on since highest bidder will know outcome.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5]  All
  Print  

Jump to: