Bitcoin Forum
June 20, 2024, 09:22:29 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Paper Wallet or not to store Bitcoins for August 1st?  (Read 1303 times)
pinkflower

Activity: 868
Merit: 259

View Profile
July 07, 2017, 07:46:46 AM

As long as you control your private keys, then you are fine. I wont trust some exchanges in honoring the coins Im entitled from the split chain. Judging from what happened in the ETH and ETC split, BTCe didnt give their customers any ETC and who knows what they did with them.

Coinbase also didnt give their users any ETC but at least the CEO admitted that they had made a mistake.
I would expect some of the exchanges to issue some kind of statement to let users know where they stand in the case of separate chains, Bittrex were good the last time around with ETH and ETC but not all exchanges as you said were interested in doing the right thing.

Poloniex were good in handling the situation too. I think they were the first exchange to declare that they were going to list ETC right after the split. They made sure that all their users who had ETH must have ETC in their accounts too. Kraken came soon right after, then some of the rest.
senin

Activity: 938
Merit: 137

View Profile
July 26, 2017, 05:30:42 PM

I have heard a theory that after the 1st August bitcoin is going to be shared on real bitcoin and something like a copy. And people say that real bitcoin will be on Blockchain.info wallet. I don't know is it truth or not. But I don't store my coins, so, I kinda don't care.
Yes, but after that there was a news that the creation of a duplicate or a copy of bitcoin would most likely not be. In any case, no one knows for certain how to solve this problem. It remains only to wait for the first of August.
Siren

Activity: 826
Merit: 265

View Profile
July 26, 2017, 05:38:38 PM

In case there is a chain split, it is important that you have control over the private keys of your wallet. It does not matter if it is in a paper, desktop o hardware wallet as long as you have the private key, you will be fine. The chain split may or may not happen but it is wise to be prepared for the worse and hope for the best.

True as long as you have control of the private keys then you are good. So better be prepared than sorry.

I have heard a theory that after the 1st August bitcoin is going to be shared on real bitcoin and something like a copy. And people say that real bitcoin will be on Blockchain.info wallet. I don't know is it truth or not. But I don't store my coins, so, I kinda don't care.
Yes, but after that there was a news that the creation of a duplicate or a copy of bitcoin would most likely not be. In any case, no one knows for certain how to solve this problem. It remains only to wait for the first of August.

That is what we all are hoping for. There should be no split. But other people have agendas. We all know that bitcoin and mining is a multi million industry that is why there are people who are willing to break the chain just enrich themselves. So we need to be prepared come Aug. 1.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: