Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 10:53:00 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: bitinstant (or similar) coming to canada?  (Read 2240 times)
reddly (OP)

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 03:01:50 PM

So when is bitinstant coming to canada? I don't want to use virtex, they don't offer the service I'm interested in, and the only other cash to bitcoin option I see is canadianbitcoin which at this time I can't seem to find any reviews on. perhaps I'm not googling hard enough  Grin

So as a believer in being totally anonymous I want to buy in cash, and not from a bank. I have walmart and 7-11. There are moneygram locations all over. But I can't seem to find anywhere on bitinstant to get it to turn to canadian. I also can't seem to find anywhere else that does cash for bitcoins. Not interested in localbitcoins either. Don't want to meet some random in a coffee shop and play the "okay give me the money and i'll press enter" game. Nor do I care to deal with anyone I don't know on this level. I just want to walk into a 7-11 grab my hot dog, hand them a slip of paper saying i have 5 bitcoins bought and owe x dollars. i give them x dollars and they press whatever button they need to completely hassle free that sends a signal saying "paid so transfer the mans damn bitcoins to his email" and boom done. If this isn't available then.. well I don't know. anyone else got an idea?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
sidhujag
Legendary

Activity: 2044
Merit: 1005

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 04:21:36 PM

seems like a small shop like the ones which take your cheque+work info and give you money is something that would work, you think?
URSAY
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 05:08:26 PM

We're always working to add new supported countries to our list.  I'm sorry that we are not yet available in Canada but we are working hard to bring you the same trusted service that we provide in so many other countries.
reddly (OP)

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 05:42:45 PM

any time line on it making its way north?

aside from that... alright small shop. since the Canadian gov doesn't consider it currency, and as far as I know theres no law saying a shop owner can't sell goods for whatever he wants (heard places in Germany and the US that sell for bitcoins) I suppose someone could sell items for bitcoins.

Still seems very strange to me that someone couldn't have a kiosk at the mall and just sell bitcoins for cash, or buy bitcoins from people. To be honest I'm almost tempted to just open a kiosk or store front and go for it. Maybe I'm missing something but if the gov says it's not a currency then it's not regulated the same way and it's a "commodity" (i'm not claiming it is or isn't just what the gov says) If its just another good, shouldn't it be widely available for purchase from anyone that wants to sell them? Anyways toss some thoughts back at me. See if I have this all screwed up.
sidhujag
Legendary

Activity: 2044
Merit: 1005

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 08:07:05 PM

any time line on it making its way north?

aside from that... alright small shop. since the Canadian gov doesn't consider it currency, and as far as I know theres no law saying a shop owner can't sell goods for whatever he wants (heard places in Germany and the US that sell for bitcoins) I suppose someone could sell items for bitcoins.

Still seems very strange to me that someone couldn't have a kiosk at the mall and just sell bitcoins for cash, or buy bitcoins from people. To be honest I'm almost tempted to just open a kiosk or store front and go for it. Maybe I'm missing something but if the gov says it's not a currency then it's not regulated the same way and it's a "commodity" (i'm not claiming it is or isn't just what the gov says) If its just another good, shouldn't it be widely available for purchase from anyone that wants to sell them? Anyways toss some thoughts back at me. See if I have this all screwed up.

How about a currency exchange booth similar to the airport where you show live spot rates of every alt including btc? now i got u thinking don't i?? Smiley
rashly

Activity: 5

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 08:48:07 PM

Are you able to use Dwolla from Canada for bitinstant?
URSAY
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 08:56:58 PM

Are you able to use Dwolla from Canada for bitinstant?

Technically we offer no Canadian support currently.  Supported countries are listed at bitinstant.com
reddly (OP)

View Profile
June 01, 2013, 01:16:10 AM

I think (and this is only my opinion) that if you had a ticker going of current value that you might be kicking the bee's nest so to speak. The Canadian gov has done all of us here a massive favor saying they don't consider it currency. This gives us more time to integrate bitcoins into daily life without road blocks. I feel that if it looked like a currency exchange, it might prompt new interest, laws, regulations and other problems.

So, where does the problem lie with opening up a store front to purchase bitcoins. people walk in with their smart phones, you have a secured wallet. they transfer and you hand them cash. On the flip side someone walks up to you, hands you cash and you transfer bitcoins.

I don't understand why there are so many regulations for virtex and such. I mean can't they just make it like checking out from any on line vendor. you put 3 bitcoins into you're basket and check out. plug in your CC info, or other payment method. bam done. Why all the verifications, and ID checking. no one cares when I buy anything else online or at a store. Never asked for ID when I go grocery shopping. Virtex has all these verifications and I can't figure out why. Any insight?
bitcoinscanada

Activity: 108
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 01, 2013, 03:49:25 AM

BitcoinsCanada.ca
babyhunghung

Activity: 11

View Profile
June 01, 2013, 04:33:38 AM

Thank........
reddly (OP)

View Profile
June 01, 2013, 01:20:21 PM

BitcoinsCanada, can you explain the process of using a bank? the whole point to this is to do it with cash without having to produce ID. An anonymous currency that if purchased with ID isn't quite so anonymous anymore. If entering the bank they require ID to put money in then doesn't this defeat the purpose?
Mdk754

Activity: 5

View Profile
June 01, 2013, 02:55:34 PM

I've not used it myself yet, just made an account. But LibertyBit will let you send money to/from them via interac email money xfer without verifying your account. Cheaper fees than cavirtex too.
eve

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 01, 2013, 03:12:27 PM

good to know
cavirtex

Activity: 143

CAVIRTEX | Canadian Virtual Exchange

View Profile WWW
June 07, 2013, 05:28:17 PM

So when is bitinstant coming to canada? I don't want to use virtex, they don't offer the service I'm interested in, and the only other cash to bitcoin option I see is canadianbitcoin which at this time I can't seem to find any reviews on. perhaps I'm not googling hard enough  Grin

So as a believer in being totally anonymous I want to buy in cash, and not from a bank. I have walmart and 7-11. There are moneygram locations all over. But I can't seem to find anywhere on bitinstant to get it to turn to canadian. I also can't seem to find anywhere else that does cash for bitcoins. Not interested in localbitcoins either. Don't want to meet some random in a coffee shop and play the "okay give me the money and i'll press enter" game. Nor do I care to deal with anyone I don't know on this level. I just want to walk into a 7-11 grab my hot dog, hand them a slip of paper saying i have 5 bitcoins bought and owe x dollars. i give them x dollars and they press whatever button they need to completely hassle free that sends a signal saying "paid so transfer the mans damn bitcoins to his email" and boom done. If this isn't available then.. well I don't know. anyone else got an idea?

You can deposit cash in CaVirtex via Bank of Montreal (a.k.a. BMO): https://www.cavirtex.com/deposit_methods

You can deposit up to $3,000 per day/month as an unverified trader.

Once you make your deposit, you can then purchase BTC on the exchange and send it to a Bitcoin wallet of your choosing.

CAVIRTEX is Canada's #1 Bitcoin exchange with over 90 million CAD traded in our 3 years of operations. Visit https://www.cavirtex.com.
reddly (OP)

View Profile
June 26, 2013, 08:39:07 PM

virtex has changed since last posting here, and canadianbitcoins too.

cavirtex

Activity: 143

CAVIRTEX | Canadian Virtual Exchange

View Profile WWW
June 27, 2013, 12:50:15 PM

virtex has changed since last posting here, and canadianbitcoins too.

Thank you reddly. You are correct. BMO is no longer accepting direct deposits to our bank account.

However, CaVirtex customers can still make cash deposits via bill payments.

For more details, please visit: https://www.cavirtex.com/news

CAVIRTEX is Canada's #1 Bitcoin exchange with over 90 million CAD traded in our 3 years of operations. Visit https://www.cavirtex.com.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: