Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 08:22:27 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 [157] 158 159 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [Unofficial] Coinpot.co - new microwallet  (Read 100530 times)
Tiber727

Activity: 12
Merit: 1

View Profile
April 05, 2021, 10:47:02 PM

So for those wondering what they use to check cheaters...they literally look at what the email provider is for the email address you signed up with, and the IP address.
https://imgur.com/a/vKI8vsR
We have investigated your appeal and found that your account was suspended from CoinPot due to violation of the terms and conditions of our service. This is why your withdrawal was cancelled.
Specifically in your case, we found that you have multiple accounts used for claiming from the faucets. We found a huge number of protonmail.com email accounts all registered on the same day, from the same IP range - including yours.

First of all, IP address is a horrible way to verify identity. It's easy to fake, and high risk of false positives. Blocking a single IP address can potentially affect up to millions.
Source:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Blocking_IP_addresses#Shared_and_dynamic_IP_addresses
And he admits to blocking an IP range.

Second of all, as others have suspected, if you so much as use the same email service that scammers use, that makes you look like a cheater. Imagine if they just took the money of everyone who uses Gmail. In this case, a lot of people who use Protonmail had their account flagged. The day doesn't matter either, because people are probably making a ton of fake accounts every day.

If this is their fraud detection, this is majorly flawed.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
sunk818

Activity: 1176
Merit: 111

View Profile WWW
April 05, 2021, 11:03:54 PM

😂 Protonmail accounts get created all the time sure but how many happen to claim coinpot too?

Tiber727

View Profile
April 06, 2021, 12:36:14 AM

😂 Protonmail accounts get created all the time sure but how many happen to claim coinpot too?

Is that your argument? That there are 0 people who use Protonmail and are not scammers? My point was scammers are creating Coinpot accounts all the time because they don't care if some get banned. They can make 100 more. We don't even know if they only do this to Protonmail accounts.
TheQuin

Activity: 2576
Merit: 882

Freebitco.in Support https://bit.ly/2I9BVS2

View Profile WWW
April 06, 2021, 02:53:57 AM

Is that your argument? That there are 0 people who use Protonmail and are not scammers? My point was scammers are creating Coinpot accounts all the time because they don't care if some get banned. They can make 100 more. We don't even know if they only do this to Protonmail accounts.

You are only looking at part of what they said. They said there were a huge number of Protonmail accounts all signed up on the same day from the same IP range. It doesn't matter if was a different email service. They are just stating 3 common factors of a large number of accounts that far beyond coincidence and it is obvious abuse.

freebitcoin.TO WIN A  LAMBORGHINI!..

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████████▄▄▄▄▄
                    ▄▄▄▄▄██████████████████████████████████▄▄▄▄
                    ▀██████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄
                    ▄▄████▄█████▄████████████████████████████▄█████▄████▄▄
                    ▀████████▀▀▀████████████████████████████████▀▀▀██████████▄
                      ▀▀▀████▄▄▄███████████████████████████████▄▄▄██████████
                           ▀█████▀  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▀█████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
                   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
Tiber727

View Profile
April 06, 2021, 03:49:10 AM

You are only looking at part of what they said. They said there were a huge number of Protonmail accounts all signed up on the same day from the same IP range. It doesn't matter if was a different email service. They are just stating 3 common factors of a large number of accounts that far beyond coincidence and it is obvious abuse.

He said one sentence, and I quoted all of it. It is obvious that someone is abusing the system. My point is that IP addresses can be shared by a massive number of people, as can email provider. So you make an account, and at the same time someone else is creating a bunch of fake accounts (and there's probably never a time when someone isn't making a bunch of fake accounts). And bam, now your account is yet another one created by the scammer, and you have no way to prove otherwise.

Regardless of whether you think that I personally am lying, this type of fraud detection is fairly likely to create false positives at some point or another. When that happens, you're automatically a scammer and any attempt to defend yourself is proof of your guilt (this is known as a kafka trap).
grahamlyons

Activity: 338
Merit: 104

View Profile
April 06, 2021, 06:20:49 AM
Merited by TheQuin (1)

He said one sentence, and I quoted all of it. It is obvious that someone is abusing the system. My point is that IP addresses can be shared by a massive number of people, as can email provider. So you make an account, and at the same time someone else is creating a bunch of fake accounts (and there's probably never a time when someone isn't making a bunch of fake accounts). And bam, now your account is yet another one created by the scammer, and you have no way to prove otherwise.

Regardless of whether you think that I personally am lying, this type of fraud detection is fairly likely to create false positives at some point or another. When that happens, you're automatically a scammer and any attempt to defend yourself is proof of your guilt (this is known as a kafka trap).

i think you are massively missing the point here
its not that you use protonmail - of course this is a fairly common email provider
its not that you use a particular ip address - of course they can be shared, especially ip ranges
and its not about the date that you make an account
its the very unlikely combination of all 3.
its very, very unlikely that you would have by coincidence created a protonmail account on the same day that a bot created loads of other protonmail accounts from within the same ip range
i mean, its possible - but massively unlikely - even though the 3 individual parts (date/ip/email) are each plausible

and we dont know from what that email says, perhaps they have additional information too
BitcoinKim

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 06, 2021, 12:22:12 PM

So I'm not getting any of my coins regardless what I do.
Let me know what venture they start next, so I can stay away from that!

Very sneaky, how can I prove that I only have ever had one account of each currency connected to their faucets? I wonder how many others have received the same response.

Is this your way of saying that you had 5 coinpot accounts, one for each cryptocurrency?

1) BTC
2) LTC
3) DASH
4) DOGE
5) BCH
Technically not, I never had any DASH, but yes, one of each of the others.
I have been using the mooncoins and bonusbitcoin from when you could claim more than 500 satoshis each time.
sunk818

Activity: 1176
Merit: 111

View Profile WWW
April 06, 2021, 03:52:25 PM

And did you refer yourself for the other accounts? Btc referring LTC account etc? I think you're supposed to have one account only.

So I'm not getting any of my coins regardless what I do.
Let me know what venture they start next, so I can stay away from that!

Very sneaky, how can I prove that I only have ever had one account of each currency connected to their faucets? I wonder how many others have received the same response.

Is this your way of saying that you had 5 coinpot accounts, one for each cryptocurrency?

1) BTC
2) LTC
3) DASH
4) DOGE
5) BCH
Technically not, I never had any DASH, but yes, one of each of the others.
I have been using the mooncoins and bonusbitcoin from when you could claim more than 500 satoshis each time.

Tiber727

View Profile
April 06, 2021, 05:55:13 PM

its not that you use protonmail - of course this is a fairly common email provider
its not that you use a particular ip address - of course they can be shared, especially ip ranges
its very, very unlikely that you would have by coincidence created a protonmail account on the same day that a bot created loads of other protonmail accounts from within the same ip range
i mean, its possible - but massively unlikely - even though the 3 individual parts (date/ip/email) are each plausible

and we dont know from what that email says, perhaps they have additional information too

I'm aware of the point. My point is that their point is wrong. People are bad at statistics. They'll play a game like XCOM where they have a 5% chance of failure when taking an action, then get mad when the 5% happens because they mentally shortcut 95% to 100%.
Here's a follow-up email: https://imgur.com/a/I8vmwwW

Coinpot says they typically get 3-4 Protonmail accounts a day. On the day my account got created, 3200 got created. So ~3-4 of those accounts are probably legit. A single IP address can represent anywhere from 1 to millions of people. He was looking at an IP range, not a single one, so multiply that by however many individual addresses.

The odds can therefore be stated as, "For each of those 3-4 legit accounts, choose let's say 10 million random people. What are the odds that there is at least 1 Coinpot scammer within those 10 million?" Not that bad, actually. That's 10 million rolls of the dice! It's at least not outside the range of possibility.

Let's also not forget that scammers are not an isolated incident. This whole thing may have played out in similar fashion at other times, with the same or other email providers.

People have this inbuilt trust in authority. Coinpot didn't take *their* money, so Coinpot must be competent and trustworthy and anyone who says otherwise must be a liar. I know that I didn't create 3200 accounts, so I necessarily have to start with the conclusion that Coinpot is either mistaken or lying. I assume mistakes before malevolence, so the simplest solution is that the unlikely HAS happened.
grahamlyons

View Profile
April 07, 2021, 12:39:52 AM

I'm aware of the point. My point is that their point is wrong. People are bad at statistics. They'll play a game like XCOM where they have a 5% chance of failure when taking an action, then get mad when the 5% happens because they mentally shortcut 95% to 100%.
Here's a follow-up email:

Coinpot says they typically get 3-4 Protonmail accounts a day. On the day my account got created, 3200 got created. So ~3-4 of those accounts are probably legit. A single IP address can represent anywhere from 1 to millions of people. He was looking at an IP range, not a single one, so multiply that by however many individual addresses.

The odds can therefore be stated as, "For each of those 3-4 legit accounts, choose let's say 10 million random people. What are the odds that there is at least 1 Coinpot scammer within those 10 million?" Not that bad, actually. That's 10 million rolls of the dice! It's at least not outside the range of possibility.

Let's also not forget that scammers are not an isolated incident. This whole thing may have played out in similar fashion at other times, with the same or other email providers.

People have this inbuilt trust in authority. Coinpot didn't take *their* money, so Coinpot must be competent and trustworthy and anyone who says otherwise must be a liar. I know that I didn't create 3200 accounts, so I necessarily have to start with the conclusion that Coinpot is either mistaken or lying. I assume mistakes before malevolence, so the simplest solution is that the unlikely HAS happened.

you are still missing the point
this isnt a computer game with a simple 5% probability
it is the combination of at least 3 different factors (date/ip/email) that makes this extremely improbable
im not for 1 minute saying you a cheater/fraud (i dont know any more than you do)  or accusing you of anything sinister
but even with your wonky math above the chances are at least 1 in a 1000 or more like 1 in a million that this could happen
so they should check each of those 3200 accounts manually to see if each is possibly (1 in a million chance) a genuine account?
Tiber727

View Profile
April 07, 2021, 02:46:08 AM

Here's a follow-up email: https://imgur.com/a/I8vmwwW

it is the combination of at least 3 different factors (date/ip/email) that makes this extremely improbable
im not for 1 minute saying you a cheater/fraud (i dont know any more than you do)  or accusing you of anything sinister
but even with your wonky math above the chances are at least 1 in a 1000 or more like 1 in a million that this could happen
so they should check each of those 3200 accounts manually to see if each is possibly (1 in a million chance) a genuine account?

A. Date can be removed from the equation. Every day, someone is signing up for a Coinpot account, and probably every day someone is trying to scam Coinpot. The odds of *someone* signing up on the same day with the same email provider as a scammer is basically 100%.

B They don't have to check 3200 accounts. They literally have an email address for support. They only have to check the accounts of the people that email them. I have, and the response is, "Well the timing is suspicious, and suspicious is good enough for us." It's literally impossible to prove I didn't do it, so I'm reliant on them unless I want to sue them. And even if I wanted to sue them, I lost about $450, which would likely cost me that much to recover even if it were a sure bet.

C. Since then, I've seen another person on reddit claiming to have gotten the exact same line about someone in their IP range making accounts with Protonmail emails on the same day. I admit I'm biased to believe them due to my situation. Given that and other people with Protonmail accounts claiming to be banned, I suspect either their IP range is wide or they're overplaying their hand on how precise their anti-fraud is. At worst, people should remember that while scammers have an incentive to claim innocence, Coinpot also has an incentive to claim guilt since they keep the money. And it's not like they have to preserve their business reputation.
grahamlyons

View Profile
April 07, 2021, 05:20:05 AM

Here's a follow-up email:

im not for 1 minute saying you a cheater/fraud (i dont know any more than you do)  or accusing you of anything sinister

A. Date can be removed from the equation. Every day, someone is signing up for a Coinpot account, and probably every day someone is trying to scam Coinpot. The odds of *someone* signing up on the same day with the same email provider as a scammer is basically 100%.

B They don't have to check 3200 accounts. They literally have an email address for support. They only have to check the accounts of the people that email them. I have, and the response is, "Well the timing is suspicious, and suspicious is good enough for us." It's literally impossible to prove I didn't do it, so I'm reliant on them unless I want to sue them. And even if I wanted to sue them, I lost about $450, which would likely cost me that much to recover even if it were a sure bet.

C. Since then, I've seen another person on reddit claiming to have gotten the exact same line about someone in their IP range making accounts with Protonmail emails on the same day. I admit I'm biased to believe them due to my situation. Given that and other people with Protonmail accounts claiming to be banned, I suspect either their IP range is wide or they're overplaying their hand on how precise their anti-fraud is. At worst, people should remember that while scammers have an incentive to claim innocence, Coinpot also has an incentive to claim guilt since they keep the money. And it's not like they have to preserve their business reputation.

A. the date is crucial. if your account registered on a different date as these 3200 other protonmail accounts then it (probably) wouldnt have been suspicious and banned. i cannot understand why you think its 100%. you are still missing the point about it being a combination of 3 low probability factors = an extremely low probability that this is coincidental.
again im not accusing you, im just able to see it from their pov

B. they have to check all 3200 to find the needle in the haystack if everything else about them all (date/ip/email etc) looks the same

C. yes agreed, i can imagine that certain email providers are easier to target by bots/scammers. so they probably looked closer at protonmail than gmail etc.
of course coinpot will claim guilt when they have strong evidence of it. if they had just paid out to every account good or bad, they would have gone out of business very quickly.
yes, i agree they no longer have to care about sustaining their business with advert revenue but ive seen enough here and other places to see that they seem committed to paying out to everyone who is genuine. and if they wanted to run off with peoples money (i.e. exit scam) then its easy to think of ways they could have just run off without paying anyone. its a lot to you, but this $450 is miniscule compared to the money they have paid out
Tiber727

View Profile
April 08, 2021, 04:24:31 AM

As an update, Coinpot relented and returned the money. They still thought I was a scammer, but conceded the possibility that it was a mistake. I suppose I have to admit I was wrong about them looking for any excuse to not return the money.

That said, my advice to anyone else stuck in my situation is not to rely on emotional appeals. Be polite, but point out the possibility that they made a mistake, and ask if there is any way they can review other details of your account, or what they would accept as proof of your innocence.
grahamlyons

View Profile
April 08, 2021, 05:47:59 AM

As an update, Coinpot relented and returned the money. They still thought I was a scammer, but conceded the possibility that it was a mistake. I suppose I have to admit I was wrong about them looking for any excuse to not return the money.

That said, my advice to anyone else stuck in my situation is not to rely on emotional appeals. Be polite, but point out the possibility that they made a mistake, and ask if there is any way they can review other details of your account, or what they would accept as proof of your innocence.

wow, thats good news. im glad you got it eventually  Smiley

i wonder if they will pay the other 3200 accounts out now too!
HangOn

Activity: 59

View Profile
April 08, 2021, 12:13:50 PM

Official Thread https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2006313.0

Withdrawal batches paid today...

DOGECOIN
Paid today: 265230.19577173 DOGE
https://blockchair.com/dogecoin/transaction/9e72ab93df5d5d96010ea5b3c04e85a61202bedcfc119699d3bfe27d1b99c21d
Remaining pending withdrawals: 1326589.06841047 DOGE
blackhat

Activity: 53

View Profile
April 16, 2021, 04:49:57 PM

I mailed them on saturday last week (April 10th), still got no reply as of now.
I'm still missing 83 LTC and 26 BCH. Waiting, ....
LosingMoney83

Activity: 9

View Profile
April 18, 2021, 12:58:45 PM

Well, tried logging into the website to find out it is no longer. Obviously haven't been on the site in months. Did some searching and found this thread.  Had .27 BTC and never received any notification that the site was going away. $16k lost?

Sent an email to support address.

WTF!
UserU

Activity: 2002
Merit: 531

FREE passive income eBook @ tinyurl.com/PIA10

View Profile WWW
April 18, 2021, 01:59:36 PM

Well, tried logging into the website to find out it is no longer. Obviously haven't been on the site in months. Did some searching and found this thread.  Had .27 BTC and never received any notification that the site was going away. $16k lost?

WTF!

Unfortunately they only informed through the site and not through email, which is understandable that many might have missed out on the updates.

Hope you get your funds, as CP has already paid out all pending earnings before they shut down for good.

.500 CASINO.██

▄

THE HOTTEST CRYPTO
CASINO & SPORTSBOOK
         ▄▄▄███████████
 ▄▄▄████████████████

▐████████████████████
 ██████████████████
 ▐██████████████████
 ▐█████████████████
  ██████████████████
  ██████▀█████▀█████
  ▐████████████████
  ▐██████████████
   █████████████████
   ▐██████████████████
    ▀██████▀▀▀▀▀▀   ▀▀▀█
▄▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄▄▄
▄▄▀▀▄ ▄ ▀ ▀ ▀ ▄ ▄▀▀▄▄
▄▀▄ ▀               ▀ ▄▀▄
█ ▄                     ▄ █
█ ▄  █████  ▄███▄  ▄███▄  ▄ █
█ ▄   ██▄▄   ██ ██  ██ ██   ▄ █
█ ▄   ▀▀▀██  ██ ██  ██ ██   ▄ █
█ ▄   ▄▄ ██  ██ ██  ██ ██   ▄ █
█ ▄  ▀███▀  ▀███▀  ▀███▀  ▄ █
█ ▄                     ▄ █
▀▄ ▀ ▄             ▄ ▀ ▄▀
▀▀▄▄ ▀ ▄ ▄ ▄ ▄ ▀ ▄▄▀▀
▀▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▀

▄▄▄██████████▄▄▄
████████▀██▀▀██▄▄
 █
█████████████████▄
 █
████████████████████
  █
██▄████▄███████▄███
  █
████████████████████
  █
███▀████▀███████▀███
 █
████████████████████
 █
█████████████████▀
█████████▄██▄▄██▀▀
 ▀▀▀██████████▀▀▀

ORIGINALS

SLOTS

LIVE GAMES

SPORTSBOOK

██..PLAY NOW..
LosingMoney83

Activity: 9

View Profile
April 18, 2021, 03:19:34 PM

WTF!

Unfortunately they only informed through the site and not through email, which is understandable that many might have missed out on the updates.

Hope you get your funds, as CP has already paid out all pending earnings before they shut down for good.

What kind of shenanigans is that? Let's not send out a blanket email to people that we are shutting things down. So guess they just take a $16k gift for themselves?
LTU_btc (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3024
Merit: 1330

Slava Ukraini!

View Profile WWW
April 18, 2021, 06:43:50 PM

What kind of shenanigans is that? Let's not send out a blanket email to people that we are shutting things down. So guess they just take a $16k gift for themselves?
It's true that they haven't send emails to users about closure of website. At least i haven't found such message in my inbox. They gave enough time for users to request withdrawals, but I can't blame users like who simply weren't aware that Coinpot is closing down.
0.27 BTC is a lot of money, I hope that you will get it...

Pages: « 1 ... 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 [157] 158 159 »
  Print  

Jump to: