Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 03:33:17 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: Just got off the phone with NewEgg...  (Read 12704 times)
Synaptic (OP)

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 03:44:24 PM

Was talking to a guy named Jason, trying to get them to waive the restocking fees and shipping costs for my $1200 in gear.

I've been a long time (10 years) system builder with NewEgg and they were kind enough to pay me this favor. Best news I've had all week regarding this stupid bitcoin shit!

Anyhow, after pleasantries and getting business out of the way, I non-chalantly said "I bet you're seeing a higher volume of RMA's today, yeah?"

To which he chuckled and said "Yeah, it's been crazy this morning."

I laughed and said "I bet most of it is ATI cards right?"

He chuckled and then a slight silence ensued.

HIM: "Yeah...how'd you know?"

ME: "I read about it on some forums."

HIM: "What forums?"

ME: "My gaming guild's forums. Seems a bunch of kids found some program that uses ATI cards for computing something they can make money from, but something happened to it, so they're trying to get out of it. You're probably going to see a lot more of this, there's a lot of people doing this..."

HIM: "That's interesting. So, is that why you're returning all your stuff too?" *laughs*

ME: *laughs* "Nah man, I had a client cancel his build at the last minute...who knows, maybe this is why he canceled!"

HIM: *laughs* "Alright, well we'll keep and eye out. Our managers are aware something is going on because they've had a meeting last week about it, but I don't all have the details. Consider yourself lucky because I hear we might have to suspend all the good faith waivers we've been giving. Agents are only allowed to give so many per month and we're basically past that already."

ME: "Oh I totally understand, I highly appreciate it, I've been a long time customer and I'm really happy to get you guys any info that might be helpful. Thanks, you have a great day Jason."

HIM: "You too."

So that's my offering to you guys. I feel bad for NewEgg, having to put up with our retarded shit.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Make sure you back up your wallet regularly! Unlike a bank account, nobody can help you if you lose access to your BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Chucksta

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 03:51:21 PM

LOLOL, hilarious
AngelusWebDesign

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 03:53:16 PM

I certainly hope NewEgg figures out sooner or later what's going on.
Synaptic (OP)

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 03:57:17 PM

Yeah I really wish I could have told him right there, but I'm not in any hurry to make myself out to be another bitcoin asshole to a company I've been loyal to for 10 years.

I suppose I could call in anonymously...

Might actually do that now...

I'll report back, lol.

EDIT: On second thought, I don't want to jeopardize my waivers. If shit really hits the fan they could make them retroactively null or something.
Clipse

Activity: 504
Merit: 502

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 04:04:01 PM

adorable story, so you wet your diaper and left mining ? Atleast the sun did rise today.

...In the land of the stale, the man with one share is king... >> Clipse

We pay miners at 130% PPS | Signup here : Bonus PPS Pool (Please read OP to understand the current process)
Synaptic (OP)

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 04:05:55 PM

adorable story, so you wet your diaper and left mining ? Atleast the sun did rise today.

Yeah man!  I left and made the difficulty easier for you!

Isn't that exciting!?

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
evlew

Activity: 406

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 04:10:43 PM

Yeah I really wish I could have told him right there, but I'm not in any hurry to make myself out to be another bitcoin asshole to a company I've been loyal to for 10 years.

I'll report back, lol.

EDIT: On second thought, I don't want to jeopardize my waivers. If shit really hits the fan they could make them retroactively null or something.
First of all, they gon't give a fuck about your loyalty.  You returned 1200 dollars.... woah! big spender! dipshit.  they've got people order 100 times more than you on a weekly basis.  get over yourself.  i've been a newegg customer for a long time too.

second, you already are a bitcoin asshole.  pack your computers up and leave pussy.  That is if you're telling the truth.  I've seen 100x threads from you like this already.  shut the fuck up and get over yourself.

if you don't want anything to do with mining take your faggot friends and leave.  don't make thread after thread after thread trying to scare a few measily newbies away.

In conclusion if you have no mining hardware anymore, you officially have no reason to post in this forum.  so like i said.. leave pussy.  vanish.
Synaesthesia

Activity: 546
Merit: 253

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 04:12:37 PM

With the low prices on bitcoins and the current difficulty buying I also wouldn't get into mining now. Buying BTC would be a better option IMO.
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 04:15:59 PM

Price keeps going up up up... we'll see who's laughing when this is all said and done.

I've already paid for my mining hardware three times over.
Synaptic (OP)

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 04:17:41 PM

I'll report back, lol.

First of all, they gon't give a fuck about your loyalty.  You returned 1200 dollars.... woah! big spender! dipshit.  they've got people order 100 times more than you on a weekly basis.  get over yourself.  i've been a newegg customer for a long time too.

second, you already are a bitcoin asshole.  pack your computers up and leave pussy.  That is if you're telling the truth.  I've seen 100x threads from you like this already.  shut the fuck up and get over yourself.

if you don't want anything to do with mining take your faggot friends and leave.  don't make thread after thread after thread trying to scare a few measily newbies away.

In conclusion if you have no mining hardware anymore, you officially have no reason to post in this forum.  so like i said.. leave pussy.  vanish.

Well tough guy, they obviously DO give a fuck about my loyalty because they've done me numerous favors over the time I've been a customer with them.

Free 2 day shipping when I've had emergencies.

Waiving restocking fees and shipping a number of times.

Building custom "package deals" for me when I have large orders (got 50 free 8GB USB keys on an order I made for a local office building) that are NOT advertised on their website.

Sending me cool swag from a number of companies.

So, fuck you bro.  I will post here as long as it suits me.

And if I do in fact do a single person one small deed of assistance in making a good choice, then I'm happy.
Synaesthesia

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 04:21:52 PM

Wow what an asshole post. Anyway who cares if he's leaving mining or scaring others away - that's beneficial to us miners.
Chucksta

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 04:23:37 PM

Jeez, megga attitude problems here !

take a chill pill, or better still smoke a j or 3 Wink
AngelusWebDesign

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 04:24:54 PM

So if I buy a new video card in the next month, I have to wonder if it's been used before, OC'd in some dude's rig for 2 weeks with the fan @ 100% (translated: 1/2 the fan's life gone)
Fiyasko
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1001

Okey Dokey Lokey

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 04:27:47 PM

lolz you shoulda been like "oh and get Alot more 5830's"

http://bitcoin-otc.com/viewratingdetail.php?nick=DingoRabiit&sign=ANY&type=RECV <-My Ratings
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=857670.0 GAWminers and associated things are not to be trusted, Especially the "mineral" exchange
Synaptic (OP)

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 04:28:56 PM

lolz you shoulda been like "oh and get Alot more 5830's"

Well, there'll be at least one in stock.

Mine.

Along with 4x 6870's

EDIT: All Sapphires.
Synaesthesia

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 04:29:11 PM

So if I buy a new video card in the next month, I have to wonder if it's been used before, OC'd in some dude's rig for 2 weeks with the fan @ 100% (translated: 1/2 the fan's life gone)

Fans last damn long - like years.
AngelusWebDesign

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 04:36:27 PM

Shows what you know about engineering and computer hardware.

When you run them @ 100% they do *not* last for years.  Try months. As in, count-on-one-hand single-digit months.
Synaptic (OP)

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 04:38:18 PM

When you run them @ 100% they do *not* last for years.  Try months. As in, count-on-one-hand single-digit months.

Depends on if it's a cheap reference fan or aftermarket.

Also matters if you bother to oil the sleeves.

The Sapphires that I bought had ball bearing fans IIRC.  Running them at 100% makes no difference at all.
Icy-

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 04:38:44 PM

I'll report back, lol.

Get the fuck off these forums.
d.james

Activity: 280

Firstbits: 12pqwk

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 04:43:39 PM

Behold: A NewEgg Mining Company!

BUY NEW EGG SOTCKS NAO!!!   Cheesy

You can not roll a BitCoin, but you can rollback some. Cheesy
Roll me back: 1NxMkvbYn8o7kKCWPsnWR4FDvH7L9TJqGG
hunter

Activity: 51

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 04:50:14 PM

Not necessarily true, my 5870s have been crunching 24/7 one thing or another since release.
They show no signs of degradation, all are reference design.
evlew

Activity: 406

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 04:51:46 PM

just saying. these threads are old.  yes i should know better than to egg him on because now i look like the a-hole.  oh well... been a stressful week and it would be nice if the forums were filled with useful information.  If he's really honestly trying to help people then i am sorry, but i just don't see that being the case.

(ps newegg does all that shit minus the thumbdrives for everyone.. why do you think people use them)

sorry for going off the deep end peeps.
PcChip

Activity: 418

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 04:53:10 PM

Synaptic - Cool story, thanks for sharing

evlew - fuck off our forums, brah.

Legacy signature from 2011: 
All rates with Phoenix 1.50 / PhatK
5850 - 400 MH/s  |  5850 - 355 MH/s | 5830 - 310 MH/s  |  GTX570 - 115 MH/s | 5770 - 210 MH/s | 5770 - 200 MH/s
_s3v3n_

Activity: 108

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 04:55:45 PM

Yeah man!  I left and made the difficulty easier for you!

Isn't that exciting!?

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

OWNED! LOL

RDD RjBUYX75fvQ1yeSDJPkuB5wU35etvZ9JES
AngelusWebDesign

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 04:56:01 PM

What brand are they? And, were you running the fan @ 100%?

Anyhow, fans will only last so many cycles -- they don't age like a human being. Their only "aging" is how many times the fan has spun around. More RPM = less life, it's that simple.

I wouldn't pay more than 40% of original price for a card that was "run to death".
Synaptic (OP)

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 04:59:23 PM

Anyhow, fans will only last so many cycles -- they don't age like a human being. Their only "aging" is how many times the fan has spun around. More RPM = less life, it's that simple.

I wouldn't pay more than 40% of original price for a card that was "run to death".

The only thing that ages in a fan that isn't physically damaged is the lubricant.

If you lift the stickers off of most sleeve fans there is a nib you can put oil into, or if it's a real cheapie, a screw so you can take the blade assembly off to get to the reservoir.

If you let that lubricant degrade, then yes, you can lockup your sleeve fans pretty easily, especially if it's in a dusty environment.

But even then, fans last a lot longer than a matter of months...unless they're really, really cheap ass fans (of which I've had a few of!).
AngelusWebDesign

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 05:02:00 PM

I don't know...XFX has some pretty cheap fans.
PcChip

Activity: 418

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 05:05:57 PM

In my experience, if a fan doesn't start making crazy noises in the first month of use, it has lasted me the entire life of the card

Legacy signature from 2011: 
All rates with Phoenix 1.50 / PhatK
5850 - 400 MH/s  |  5850 - 355 MH/s | 5830 - 310 MH/s  |  GTX570 - 115 MH/s | 5770 - 210 MH/s | 5770 - 200 MH/s
hunter

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 05:12:16 PM

I assume you're talking to me.

2 XFX
2 Sapph

They don't need more than 60% fan speed, that's at 1ghz/1.225v.
All cards are running 65-70°c in 2 different boxes.

And I 100% agree with PcChip, 1 Sapph fan went bad in the first month, smooth sailing since.
SgtSpike
Legendary

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 05:19:47 PM

Even at 100% 24/7 though, they're not going to last mere months.

Heck, I've had computers that I left on 24/7 folding for a couple of years and the fans were just fine.  All of them.

The only time I've had a computer fan die is if it was one of those really small and cheap 40mm fans on a really small and cheap video card (like an 8400GS or something) that was running for a couple of years at least, and the fan in my laptop finally died after leaving it on 24/7 for 6 years.

Seriously, if a fan dies on a high-end video card in a matter of months, it was a faulty fan to begin with.
fascistmuffin

Activity: 56

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 05:26:41 PM

Did this guy just lie to newegg because he wanted to bail on his rig because he didn't want to take any risk on his investment?
Synaptic (OP)

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 05:28:43 PM

Did this guy just lie to newegg because he wanted to bail on his rig because he didn't want to take any risk on his investment?

Yeah that guy decided this whole endeavor was a fucking stupid waste of time and cut any potential losses before he got disappointed in himself for being such a dipshit.
Zagitta

Activity: 302

Presale is live!

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 05:30:37 PM

2 XFX
2 Sapph

And I 100% agree with PcChip, 1 Sapph fan went bad in the first month, smooth sailing since.

Did you check your VRM temps on those cards? because my Asus reference 5850 runs at 1020 mhz, 300 mem, 1.2v and with 50% fan the VRM gets up to 140 degrees wich is 10 degrees above max supported operating temp of the chips according to the datasheet...

bcpokey

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 05:30:55 PM

Yeah the OP basically made a post showing off that he's a huge asshole. He's "loyal to newegg" as long as it doesn't cost him anything, basically he's loyal to them to screw over other customers. He wants to call up newegg and tell them whats going on after his own refund has been processed. Genuine Class that one.

And for some reason it's turned into a stupid debate about fans afterwards. The MTBF for gpu fans is 50,000 hours, the concept that spinning it fast reduces this by a factor of 10 or more is retarded. Let's not discuss this anymore shall we?
hunter

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 05:36:48 PM

2 XFX
2 Sapph

Did you check your VRM temps on those cards? because my Asus reference 5850 runs at 1020 mhz, 300 mem, 1.2v and with 50% fan the VRM gets up to 140 degrees wich is 10 degrees above max supported operating temp of the chips according to the datasheet...

Of course, top cards mid 70°c, bottom cards are mid 60°c.
The 5850 probably has an inferior design, IDK for sure.
Does it have the heat pipe on the base plate for the vregs?
fascistmuffin

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 05:47:21 PM

Yeah the OP basically made a post showing off that he's a huge asshole. He's "loyal to newegg" as long as it doesn't cost him anything, basically he's loyal to them to screw over other customers. He wants to call up newegg and tell them whats going on after his own refund has been processed. Genuine Class that one.

And for some reason it's turned into a stupid debate about fans afterwards. The MTBF for gpu fans is 50,000 hours, the concept that spinning it fast reduces this by a factor of 10 or more is retarded. Let's not discuss this anymore shall we?

Oh cool. He's just like a politician/CEO now. Can't take responsibly for his choices, so gets bailed out/lies about it. Now newegg is losing out because you're too greedy. Loyal customer my ass.
Synaptic (OP)

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 05:51:43 PM

Oh cool. He's just like a politician/CEO now. Can't take responsibly for his choices, so gets bailed out/lies about it. Now newegg is losing out because you're too greedy. Loyal customer my ass.

Man, next you'll all be berating me for my choice to wear ladies undergarments...

...I'm just never going to catch a break here am I?

Shit, first the admins delete from existence the most popular thread on these entire forums criticizing MtGox during the crisis that I had the pleasure of creating, and now this...

I'm just, devastated.
Chick

Activity: 70

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 05:52:38 PM

Hmmm... That means there are going to be tons of open-box bargains on Newegg!

BUY EVERYTHING!

Jack of Diamonds

Activity: 252
Merit: 251

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 05:55:51 PM

Don't worry, mommy will bail you out. Or newegg. Or the gubernment. Or Jebus. Just don't cut your finger playing in the big bad world.

1f3gHNoBodYw1LLs3ndY0UanYB1tC0lnsBec4USeYoU9AREaCH34PBeGgAR67fx
Synaptic (OP)

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 05:59:05 PM

Don't worry, mommy will bail you out. Or newegg. Or the gubernment. Or Jebus. Just don't cut your finger playing in the big bad world.

Thanks, I'll call my mommy shortly to strengthen that bridge just in case the big bad world comes knocking at my door again.

LOL...

Yep, cause the FIRST thing that comes to my mind when I think about "bitcoin" is harsh realities of the REAL world.

LOL, Omg today has been the most uplifting experience I've had with anything to do with bitcoins to date.

I sincerely appreciate everyone's contribution to my farewell parties.

There will be a few more to come, assuredly.

You're all invited.
vampire

Activity: 574

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 06:09:54 PM

So for the last 10 years you're still building computers....

But you're a scammer anyway...
hypsterj

Activity: 19

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 06:10:51 PM

I have been amazed by Newegg's lack of inventory control. Most other sites have either caught on to the high demand or have automatic systems to increase pricing as they're about to sell out. After selling out in 5 minutes for the fifth time, you'd think someone at Newegg would bump the price by 20 bucks.

I have 3 Sapphire 5830s coming to me on Tuesday I bought for resale if anyone is interested. They have nice round fans that go whirr whirr whirr, and sometimes hmmmmmmmmmm. Also, fan.
fascistmuffin

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 06:12:59 PM

Man, next you'll all be berating me for my choice to wear ladies undergarments...

...I'm just never going to catch a break here am I?

Shit, first the admins delete from existence the most popular thread on these entire forums criticizing MtGox during the crisis that I had the pleasure of creating, and now this...

I'm just, devastated.

No, you're not going to catch a break. We don't give breaks to people scamming bitcoins, so we're not going to give breaks to people scamming newegg.
Jack of Diamonds

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 06:31:38 PM

No, you're not going to catch a break. We don't give breaks to people scamming bitcoins, so we're not going to give breaks to people scamming newegg.

It's ok to scam companies. They are evil and bad, like corporations.

They are run by androids from Mercury and have infinite money supplies.
The shipments also teleport from warehouses into DHL vans the moment you order stuff.

If they have good faith clauses it just means they just want to be exploited.
Like, when your parents give you their Lexus to "drive to the store" and you go drifting instead and smash into a traffic light.

Those suckers got what they had coming for them, 'believing' you. Pfft.
No matter if nobody else in the neighborhood gets to loan cars without supervision anymore due to paranoia.

Consequences is just a buzzword. Screw the world. Haha, "the world". Those guys suck.

Synaptic (OP)

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 06:33:42 PM

It's ok to scam companies. They are evil and bad, like corporations.

They are run by androids from Mercury and have infinite money supplies.
The shipments also teleport from warehouses into DHL vans the moment you order stuff.

If they have good faith clauses it just means they just want to be exploited.
Like, when your parents give you their Lexus to "drive to the store" and you go drifting instead and smash into a traffic light.

Those suckers got what they had coming for them, 'believing' you. Pfft.
No matter if nobody else in the neighborhood gets to loan cars without supervision anymore due to paranoia.

Consequences is just a buzzword. Screw the world. Haha, "the world". Those guys suck.

+1
Litt

Activity: 350

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 07:10:56 PM

I'll report back, lol.

Get the fuck off these forums.

yup, include yourself as well. No one above seems to contribute anything worthwhile. Be gone pests. We really don't need any more raging teen gamers throwing tantrums cursing at other members.
beeph

Activity: 42

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 07:20:07 PM

Yeah that guy decided this whole endeavor was a fucking stupid waste of time and cut any potential losses before he got disappointed in himself for being such a dipshit.

this is pretty much EXACTLY how i feel... lol... I feel like a dipshit.  I love the conpcet of bitcoins but running out and buying a buncha stuff in the heat of the moment makes me feel like a total idiot.. and newegg is not going to be hurting trust me, most of this stuff WONT be returned, it'll be run by miners trying to recoup some of their losses and 15% restocking fee on an item they wont have much problem reselling,

I feel very little pity for newegg... they're gonna make out on this like champs.
OgNasty
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 4718
Merit: 4223

Leading Crypto Sports Betting & Casino Platform

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2011, 07:43:33 PM

Yep, cause the FIRST thing that comes to my mind when I think about "bitcoin" is harsh realities of the REAL world.

If you're involved in bitcoins for any other reason, then you're an enemy to us all.

..Stake.com..   ▄████████████████████████████████████▄
   ██ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄            ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ██  ▄████▄
   ██ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ ██████████ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ ██  ██████
   ██ ██████████ ██      ██ ██████████ ██   ▀██▀
   ██ ██      ██ ██████  ██ ██      ██ ██    ██
   ██ ██████  ██ █████  ███ ██████  ██ ████▄ ██
   ██ █████  ███ ████  ████ █████  ███ ████████
   ██ ████  ████ ██████████ ████  ████ ████▀
   ██ ██████████ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ██████████ ██
   ██            ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀            ██ 
   ▀█████████▀ ▄████████████▄ ▀█████████▀
  ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███  ██  ██  ███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
 ██████████████████████████████████████████
▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄
█  ▄▀▄             █▀▀█▀▄▄
█  █▀█             █  ▐  ▐▌
█       ▄██▄       █  ▌  █
█     ▄██████▄     █  ▌ ▐▌
█    ██████████    █ ▐  █
█   ▐██████████▌   █ ▐ ▐▌
█    ▀▀██████▀▀    █ ▌ █
█     ▄▄▄██▄▄▄     █ ▌▐▌
█                  █▐ █
█                  █▐▐▌
█                  █▐█
▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀█
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄██▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀▀██▄
▄█▀       ▐█▌       ▀█▄
██         ▐█▌         ██
████▄     ▄█████▄     ▄████
████████▄███████████▄████████
███▀    █████████████    ▀███
██       ███████████       ██
▀█▄       █████████       ▄█▀
▀█▄    ▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄  ▄▄▄█▀
▀███████         ███████▀
▀█████▄       ▄█████▀
▀▀▀███▄▄▄███▀▀▀
..PLAY NOW..
Lightspeed

Activity: 126

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 07:54:14 PM

More inaccurate information; don't listen to this dude.

Overclocking = money? Greatest full time hobby ever!
1AR2eheP4nckS3tuzZHG6ARYndeddxmeDg
AngelusWebDesign

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 08:00:09 PM

I might be wrong about the fan lifespan.

I am always willing to admit when I'm wrong, and I never want to claim certitude about anything I'm not 100% certain about.

I heard many knowledgeable people say that running a fan at 100% will drastically shorten its lifespan. That seems reasonable to me. I certainly would not crank it up that high, just in case.

At any rate, I'm not willing to stake my credibility or reputation on this one point.

Matthew
Synaesthesia

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 08:16:49 PM

I might be wrong about the fan lifespan.

I am always willing to admit when I'm wrong, and I never want to claim certitude about anything I'm not 100% certain about.

I heard many knowledgeable people say that running a fan at 100% will drastically shorten its lifespan. That seems reasonable to me. I certainly would not crank it up that high, just in case.

At any rate, I'm not willing to stake my credibility or reputation on this one point.

Matthew

Props to you for that. 99% of forum dwellers I encounter would never say something like this.
CubedRoot

Activity: 291

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 08:32:02 PM

Glad to see your leaving OP.  I have made enough from mining to pay for my system many many times over.  I am also looking to buy more equiment.  You probably could have made alot more money by selling your stuff to miners than returning it to newegg.
Synaptic (OP)

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 08:34:53 PM

Glad to see your leaving OP.  I have made enough from mining to pay for my system many many times over.  I am also looking to buy more equiment.  You probably could have made alot more money by selling your stuff to miners than returning it to newegg.

Man, you goddamn early adopters always rubbing it in the new guys faces.

Hey, new guys, listen to CubedRoot, buy as much mining hardware as you can, it will pay for itself many times over.

I'm just a fuck up that doesn't know how to manage his money.

My loss, is your profit!

OH, AND THE DIFFICULTY WENT DOWN WITH ME GONE GUYS. REJOICE!
SgtSpike
Legendary

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 08:37:41 PM

I'm rejoicing, but not because the difficulty went down...
CubedRoot

Activity: 291

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 08:38:36 PM

Hey, new guys, listen to CubedRoot, buy as much mining hardware as you can, it will pay for itself many times over.

My loss, is your profit!

Easy dude... I am not an early adopter by no means.  I wouldnt buy mining hardware on credit, but I would still buy hardware with my BTC profits and let it mine coins.  THen hold those coins for higher prices.  I also trade my coins on the market (not all of them, but some) so its a combination of playing the market, and mining that worked great for me.
I was just saying, those cards are selling at a crazy premium right now, you may have been better of selling them to miners.
Synaptic (OP)

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 08:41:39 PM

My loss, is your profit!

Easy dude... I am not an early adopter by no means.  I wouldnt buy mining hardware on credit, but I would still buy hardware with my BTC profits and let it mine coins.  THen hold those coins for higher prices.  I also trade my coins on the market (not all of them, but some) so its a combination of playing the market, and mining that worked great for me.
I was just saying, those cards are selling at a crazy premium right now, you may have been better of selling them to miners.

Eh, hopefully I did my part not to facilitate anymore stupidity.

Maybe they'll buy themselves a nice Fleshlight and some lube instead.
CNMOH

Activity: 266

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 08:49:56 PM

Don't understand why everyone is raging on evlew when he's just cursing at the biggest hypocrite I've seen in a good while. Calling in to get his investment back when things turn bad, consider telling them what the hell is going on so that people won't be able to do the very same thing he is doing (why? Because it's immoral? Then why the fuck is he doing it himself?) but then decided not to do it just to save his own skin.

Why is everyone protecting this jerk?
Synaptic (OP)

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 08:54:30 PM

Don't understand why everyone is raging on evlew when he's just cursing at the biggest hypocrite I've seen in a good while. Calling in to get his investment back when things turn bad, consider telling them what the hell is going on so that people won't be able to do the very same thing he is doing (why? Because it's immoral? Then why the fuck is he doing it himself?) but then decided not to do it just to save his own skin.

Why is everyone protecting this jerk?

Birds of a feather and all that...

...and, we're GAY.

Muahahahah.
AngelusWebDesign

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 08:55:44 PM

Who's protecting him?

Certainly not me.

Matthew
LegitBit

Activity: 140

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 08:56:03 PM

I've had the same 6 120mm fans in my case 24/7 at high RPMs since Spring of 2008.

Keep 'em oiled and in a clean environment and they will be fine, it's better for a 4$ fan to die than my 700$ system to die out to heat.

That is if you catch it before anything they are cooling overheats.. Smiley  that's why I got six.

Donate : 1EiAKUmTVtqXsaGLKQQVvLT9DDnHsT7jTZ (Block Explorer)
Chucksta

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 09:51:36 PM

I've had the same 6 120mm fans in my case 24/7 at high RPMs since Spring of 2008.

Keep 'em oiled and in a clean environment and they will be fine, it's better for a 4$ fan to die than my 700$ system to die out to heat.

That is if you catch it before anything they are cooling overheats.. Smiley  that's why I got six.

WTF Huh Roll Eyes I know I'm wasted from knocking back fair few bevvies, but was I also slipped a micky finn

!! subject matter of thread !!
[Coins!]

Activity: 112

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 10:14:59 PM

I just got an email from Newegg.

They identified me as buying an ATI card, and sent me a bunch of promo codes for up to 20% off to 'finish building my new system'.

They're non-transferrable, and only good for my particular Newegg account.

I think this is the solution they're implementing, I don't think they fully understand the bitcoin mining situation, they think people are just not able to build complete systems.

Like my post? Consider donating: 1ENPBz6zZa1maehG48PaYzYhPjodN1NkTF
http://oneminuteslow.com/bitcoin/100-20.png
Lightspeed

Activity: 126

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 10:36:14 PM

I just got an email from Newegg.

They identified me as buying an ATI card, and sent me a bunch of promo codes for up to 20% off to 'finish building my new system'.

They're non-transferrable, and only good for my particular Newegg account.

I think this is the solution they're implementing, I don't think they fully understand the bitcoin mining situation, they think people are just not able to build complete systems.

lol @ the voucher, guess that makes your next mining rig even cheaper ... sweet /wonder if it will stop people returning their GPUs?

Synaptic: lol.

Overclocking = money? Greatest full time hobby ever!
1AR2eheP4nckS3tuzZHG6ARYndeddxmeDg
Bitcoin_Silver_Supply

Activity: 258

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 10:48:26 PM

I'll report back, lol.

First of all, they gon't give a fuck about your loyalty.  You returned 1200 dollars.... woah! big spender! dipshit.  they've got people order 100 times more than you on a weekly basis.  get over yourself.  i've been a newegg customer for a long time too.

second, you already are a bitcoin asshole.  pack your computers up and leave pussy.  That is if you're telling the truth.  I've seen 100x threads from you like this already.  shut the fuck up and get over yourself.

if you don't want anything to do with mining take your faggot friends and leave.  don't make thread after thread after thread trying to scare a few measily newbies away.

In conclusion if you have no mining hardware anymore, you officially have no reason to post in this forum.  so like i said.. leave pussy.  vanish.

What an unprovoked display of infantile anger. I get that emotions run high during panics but damn.
Fjordbit

Activity: 588

firstbits.com/1kznfw

View Profile WWW
June 21, 2011, 05:04:33 AM

And the panic was much ado about nothing. $/btc is already back to ~15 on TradeHill.
Swishercutter

Activity: 210

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 05:57:33 AM

The only thing that ages in a fan that isn't physically damaged is the lubricant.

If you lift the stickers off of most sleeve fans there is a nib you can put oil into, or if it's a real cheapie, a screw so you can take the blade assembly off to get to the reservoir.

If you let that lubricant degrade, then yes, you can lockup your sleeve fans pretty easily, especially if it's in a dusty environment.

But even then, fans last a lot longer than a matter of months...unless they're really, really cheap ass fans (of which I've had a few of!).

Take note...Synaptic made a useful post...lol.
herbertfilby

Activity: 140

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 11:15:19 AM
Last edit: June 21, 2011, 05:53:28 PM by DiabloD3

I bet the accountants at AMD are crapping their pants at the sudden drop in sales after such a profitable month lol

Mod here. Don't post giant images. Don't troll.
d.james

Activity: 280

Firstbits: 12pqwk

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 12:13:17 PM

I just spoke to Jason from Newegg.com and redirected him to this thread,
He said he remembers the conversation with you and will Roll-back the refunds Tongue

You can not roll a BitCoin, but you can rollback some. Cheesy
Roll me back: 1NxMkvbYn8o7kKCWPsnWR4FDvH7L9TJqGG
Jack of Diamonds

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 12:31:54 PM

He said he remembers the conversation with you and will Roll-back the refunds Tongue

That's comedy.

Responsibility is a bitch.

bitcoindaddy

Activity: 481

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 01:41:54 PM

Something doesn't add up - if all these people are returning their systems to Newegg, why isn't the hash rate dropping:

http://bitcoin.sipa.be/

Unless they never built their miner or go it online.
SgtSpike
Legendary

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 03:58:29 PM

ROFL.  Epic win, and nicely done d.james.   Grin
Chucksta

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 04:06:49 PM

Something doesn't add up - if all these people are returning their systems to Newegg, why isn't the hash rate dropping:

http://bitcoin.sipa.be/

Unless they never built their miner or go it online.

I'd say there are nowhere near as many returns as people are assuming, but there have been more returns than normal on Overclockers (UK). I had to get a 6950 replaced, because it had decided stop working (gaming machine, not a miner), and the support person I spoke to said they have been getting more returns than is usual.

People are also still joining this. Up until a week ago, only one person I knew had set up miners, even though I have been talking about this since I found out about it 2 months ago. Now, nearly everyone I know, who has the required hardware, has got at least one machine mining away.
foggyb
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1006

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 04:27:26 PM

Wow Synaptic, you can't seem to catch a break.

Your constant negativity must be coming full circle.

Enjoy.
Kermee

Activity: 154

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 04:56:25 PM

Imagine my disappointment. I was hoping to find tons of deals on open-box 5830's...

Don't bet on it. Newegg still has the price of Open Box 5830's set higher than New Retail prices...

Code:
N82E16814102878R
"shipping":"$7.87 Shipping","finalPrice":"153.99"

Cheers,
Kermee
DiabloD3
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1000

DiabloMiner author

View Profile WWW
June 21, 2011, 05:58:16 PM

Mod here. Locking the thread because I'm tired of people reporting it frequently.

Oh, and don't screw Newegg just because you had a bad Bitcoin experience, and you can take this entire conversation elsewhere.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: