Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 05:32:35 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Sapphire 7950 @ 650-800Kh/sec! lulz  (Read 6271 times)
Slingshot

Activity: 616
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 28, 2013, 10:46:02 AM

Try ditching sapphire trixx for MSI Afterburner. You may be very glad you did so. I sure was. That and giving up on messing with any voltage tweaks and especially Power Settings adjustments.

(3) 7950's
------------

T.C.  = 24000   (24000 or  less intense at 21056  21760  = all divide by 64.

W.S. =  256

I. =  20 (reduce as required to 19, or even 18 with too many stales when set higher)

@ 1015/1450 = 593 to 600 avg. khash/s

@ 1050/1500 = 610 to 625 avg. khash/s

Note:

Multiply the Memory Clock setting (1500)  by 70% to get the proper Core Clock setting (1050) hence Core Clock = 70% of Mem Clock. At least that's what I recall and still use as my own guide.

Don't adjust overclock or anything else in Afterburner or  trixx while miners are running/mining. Stop miners first. Then adjust overclocks. Then restart miners. Otherwise drivers damage and such, along with a crashed pc can result.

Don't run Afterburner and trixx both together. Nor any two apps at the same time that can monitor or adjust volts/overclocks, etc.

Dropping voltage too low can result in too much amperage, which can also fry things too. Hence why modern devices turn off all at once when batteries voltages get to a predetermined level. As volts fall amps rise.

Most cards are voltage locked as of of late.

Check with 50miner software's Overclock Tab, or something, to see what your voltages are in the case of locked voltage because Afterburner wont display volts on locked cards. I don't recall if trixx did or not either. Too high of voltage is even worse if you attempt to overclock too high (=fried cards).

1.09 to 1.16 volts is where to be voltage wise as far as I know if your going after Overclocking seriously. Not higher voltages, nor much lower either, unless you want to risk an unstable or barely stable rig. But I have read others dropping volts even lower, not sure how far they overclocked though.

7950 cards with boost switches or not hopefully fall between those two voltage settings (1.09 to 1.16 volts). Some cards on/off boost are running at 1.26volts or there abouts, way too high with higher overclocks and will result in extreme heat and high electric bills, plus maybe fried cards.

Best trick: the boost switch on some cards drops/raises voltage by large amounts. Pick the lower voltage setting. Then overclock. But leave the Power Setting at 0 (default). I wont push further than 1050/1500 myself. And I slow them down quite a bit when out of town, way down if gone for weeks. And I make certain the room stays at a reasonable temp. Of course I doubt it could ever be too cool, but below freezing would not be wise either. Nor would very humid air.

Overclocking is where the pay off is. Ignore bad advice, and there is plenty of that around these parts. They may mean well, but their either confused, or don't mean well at all.

With Afterburner one can toss a few cards in, even various brands with slightly different voltages, all being 7950's, and Afterburner will overclock sync all of them to the card you set it to be the master card. Too cool. And settings hold after closing Afterburner. Unlike Trixx in my own experience.

My experience was trixx wasn't the way to go. At all.

MSI Afterburner version 2.3.1 is very stable. Do what works, or experiment as you please but I stick with what I know is stable for mining purposes. After setting overclock close it all the way up, reboot, recheck it's holding the settings, then close it up again, and your good to go. Way better than trixx as I recall...

There is nothing wrong with AMD Catalyst v13.4 - works great for myself. But do what works for you and keeps things stable, reliable.

Use AMD Catalyst UNinstall Utility 1.2.1.0 if you run into driver issues and then re-install the drivers of your choosing. If your screen freezes during mining while overclocked, and/or you do hard shutdowns drivers may or may not get damaged. Realize that. Remember.

And remember beware. Some advice in these boards is not good advice, for whatever reasons. FUD, ect.

Adjust one thing at a time. Doing otherwise and you wont know what helped or hurt things until your more experienced.

Good Luck!

Last tip:  https://www.multipool.us/
The block chain is the main innovation of Bitcoin. It is the first distributed timestamping system.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Slingshot

View Profile
October 28, 2013, 11:52:34 AM

RE:

GPU clock - 1075Mhz
Mem clock - 1500Mhz
Vddc 1150 mv
Thread concurrency - 16384
Intensity - 20
GPU threads - 2
Vectors 1
Power consumption: 2x7950s = 550watts

-----------------------------------------------------

Might want to try this:

Thread concurrency = 24000 (best found*)  or lower settings of 21056 and 21760 for bit too many stales, tad too much heat, etc.

Setting to 24000 will be a big gain for you based from my own experience and with much experimentation. 24000 is The Best T.C. setting for 7950s, and I tried many, all are supposed to divide by 64 to a whole number btw.

But at 24000 the 1075 setting may be a tad bit too much. Don't know, never set that high for longer lengths of time. Impossible to say, but if 24000 gives any problem follow my lead here and reset to 1050/1500 and retest. Better at 24000 than 16384 by a long shot! Even at 1050 as I recall from lots of Thread concurrency testing results. 24000 is usually the very best setting, if not then 21760 if 24000 proves too stressful for whatever reasons (rare).

GPU threads = 1  (always one unless Huh, I used to think the same thing as you (two), but one gpu thread is correct from what I learned through testing things over and over. Really doesn't make hardly any difference though. Doubt it really matter much at all results wise, or stability wise either, but it might. I forget why it's one, not two, may not matter???  In some mining software it's preset at 2 though.

1050/1500 is the max I run at, but 1075/1500 seems reasonable too.

Thing is the bottom number (GPU clock) is said to be best at ~70% of mem clock # or (1500) x 70% = ~1050 but that may be erroneous, or just a guideline. But it's what I always go by. If it's stable there then great.

Figure out what's best and hit print/save.

All should equal 605 to 625 khash/sec per 7950 card depending on pool, coin type, mining software, stability.
=====================================================================
GPU clock                   1050
Mem clock                  1500
Thread concurrency    24000
Intensity                    20
GPU threads               1
Vectors                      1

volts @ 1.09v to 1.16v, yours are at 1.15v  (Vddc 1150 mv) which is fine.

Power consumption rise should prove slight with 24000 T.C.
These 7950 cards are highly efficient compared to almost all others.
Slingshot

View Profile
November 05, 2013, 12:29:30 PM

It could be that your running cgminer, instead of using it inside GUIMiner-scrypt. I am not certain but I have seen some advice not to go over 12 or 13 intensity with cgminer due to hardware errors and all.  (they state if you see hardware errors to reduce intensity). But in GUIMiner-scrypt on a good day, at a stable pool/coin I can run up to 20 intensity and in it we can't see "hardware errors".

What I am getting at is maybe your intensity if running simply cgminer by itself instead of in a GUI such as GUIMiner somehow the intensity settings are markedly different and your running intensity far too high resulting in extreme overheating based on proper GUIminer usage with cgminer instead merely cgminer alone. At least I think that's all correct here, but someone chiming in here would be more reassuring.

Aim for 70c to 72c tempatures, but accept 74c to 75c if you must. Some run hotter, a few report a bit lower temps. That's with some pc fan(s) or other fan(s) blowing the hotter air away from the cards too, can't forget that unless your in a very cool room, and even then a little air movement added to the mix will still prove beneficial maybe???

I am puzzled why you overheated. Just having Trixx open while starting up cgminer and mining shouldn't do anything bad. It's messing with the clock speed and memory speed while mining (under load) that can result in locked screen, damaged drivers, etc (maybe even messing with any settings in Trixx or Afterburner while under load for that matter).

But merely leaving trixx or Afterburner open while running/testing setting shouldn't cause any harm. Heck whenever I closed down Trixx the overclock settings would be gone, is that occuring to you too? (I verified that by mining output results, plus 50Miner software with it's overclock tab window but either would work as long as the cards are under high load). But not so with Afterburner, once afterburner sets the overclock and memory speeds they both stay there until changed, reboot and all, with afterburner closed up. Of course maybe my trixx version sucked but I tried another version and it was worse than the one I 1st settled on. Use what works for you though.

Just beware that adjusting setting while mining/under load can really result in things like frozen screens and well broken driver software meaning re-installing it, or even damaged cards/hardware components.

At such a low voltage that you stated it should be running quite modest temps, but I don't know if you can get over 600 and still remain stable that low of voltage, maybe, if your cards are better quality GPUs and all. From what I first assumed with you reporting overheating I assumed you had the boost switch on the card set where the card was running at 1.26 or there about, but I suppose that is not the case.

What card are you running? Brand/model?
Don007
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1007

Live like there is no tomorrow!

View Profile
November 05, 2013, 12:39:17 PM

I'm using a Gigabyte HD7950 Windforce 3 at 1000 Mhz GPU clock and 1250 Memory clock, and I'm hashing about 590-600 kh/s. In my opinion this card is fast running hot. I use intensity 18 to receive this hashrate, but the temperature will hit the 80 degrees fast. My GPU 3 fans are running at 80% then, but they will go to the full 100% as soon as the temperature hits the 82 degrees. When I spot this, I shut down my CGMiner untill it's cooled down a bit.

{Curently quite inactive as I'm really busy in my private life. I will get back soon!}

-> Your line here during my inactivity? Feel free to PM <-
rampalija

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 09, 2013, 05:58:10 PM

640 Mhs and i am expecting to go higer in colder days

Slingshot

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 04:11:23 AM

"I'm using a Gigabyte HD7950 Windforce 3 at 1000 Mhz GPU clock and 1250 Memory clock, and I'm hashing about 590-600 kh/s. In my opinion this card is fast running hot. I use intensity 18 to receive this hashrate, but the temperature will hit the 80 degrees fast. My GPU 3 fans are running at 80% then, but they will go to the full 100% as soon as the temperature hits the 82 degrees. When I spot this, I shut down my CGMiner untill it's cooled down a bit."

Questions here: Are you running this Gigabyte HD7950 Windforce 3 inside your PC Case?

Are the side panel(s) on this case?

Are there plenty of exhaust fans?

The reason I ask all that is because when I started out with my first 7950 I ran it inside an existing PC with the panels all on that PC and heat was THE major issue if I tried to overclock that card.  Even at stock settings I was near 80c degrees. So I opened the panel and let it lean open at the top (all along the top edge) a few inches so as to vent the hot air out that way too since my sole exhaust fan in that older Gaming PC could not deal with the heat issues by itself with the case closed on anything but stock card settings at the lower voltage boost setting (switch on the card) at that.

My 1st Mining Solution:
===============

The above worked some (opening up the side panel at the top), but what ended up working best was to lay that PC on it's side with the panel completely off. It wasn't so ideal, nor so safe since anything could easily fall (drop) inside it while doing so, but my heat issues ended there running just one card, even when overclocked to my personal max settings.

My Open Air Rack PC Solution:
===================

With two cards heat again became an issue being all boxed up even on it's side with the entire side panel left off. So then I forced the issue by building a new "Dedicated Mining PC", but on an open 3 level wire frame rack I found at Target.

On the lowest level sits the motherboard which is mounted to a poly cutting board (found at Wal Mart), it's drilled and I placed brass posts for the motherboard on it, mounted the board, and then zip tied it to the lower wire shelf of the wire rack.

I run two cards on the motherboard itself, and a third on a powered riser cable hanging from the second shelf. (Be certain your motherboards optional molex plug outlet for additional video cards has a power cable plugged into it so not all the voltage required for all the cards is forced through the single built in motherboard power source only. Hence why I also run the "powered" riser so that it's power cable also further reduces the strain from the other two power sources. In the end I am running three cards sourcing their power needs from three sources in all. Plus all the cards plug in mulch-connector power cables that are absolutely required too, of course.

I have four fans blowing downward to all 3 cards zipped tied flat onto the second rack, plus a huge 200mm on the front side of the rack exhausting from the opposite side of where the dummy plugs are on the 7950's cards (pulling the air across the cards and away from the rack).

Same for the Push/Pull CPU Fans-they exhaust air in the same direction (out towards the front side of the rack.

On the second level also rests an HX 850 watt Corsair (Gold rated).

For ease of use I took an old front panel from a prior PC and mounted it to the (front side) exhaust side of the wire rack and wired it all in to the motherboard, complete with USB ports too.

Then I found a decorative wire fencing at Home Depot to rap around this rack so my pet nor anyone else could easily mess with anything nor cause any dangers and of course it's zipped tied on too, and quickly opened for servicing by cutting the zip tie(s).

Everything is zip tied down, critical things double zip tied for safety. Zip Ties ended up being the solution to holding everything in place safely, right down the the Power Supply and cabling too.

Even the laptop sized hard drive  I use so as to further reduce electricity costs is zip tied by way of an old hard drive dock that it's mounted in next to the motherboard on the lowest level rack.

Same for the AMD A8 Quad Core 65watt APU (CPU+Video=APU). 65watts saves money instead of 90watts or 100watts.

I run the built in Video on the AMD APU as the MAIN Video source in the BIOS/Setup so that the PC runs on the APU, and Not the first 7950 Video Card. That takes the strain of double duty off the 1st video card, plus all the cards and the AMD APU run off the very same AMD Driver software straight from AMD's download site! Way too cool and the very best solution, imo, for a 3 to 4 card dedicated mining solution for Scrypt-coin Mining.

That rack, OPEN AIR style solved the twin card heat issues, and even allows for 74c, 72c, & 71c temps for cards 1, 2, &  3 even when running close to my wide open max overclock settings. I am confident it could also run four cards too, but then I would have to get a larger power supply to do so. Maybe latter, but for now it's fine like it is...3 is enough for now!

Right now at my max settings on the 1st cold night of this fall/winter they are 74c, 70c & 69c and that rack is now, finally this room's (and hopefully the entire upstairs) heat source, so it's "free mining" until things warm up outside being a heater, plus a miner, all at the same time.

In worse conditions I would be at at a max temps of about 75c, 73c, 72c typically, such as in Spring or Fall, without the A/C running, but with a big box fan on and/or at least a large window open during Fall and Spring. And in summer the A/C takes care of everything but the bill is quite larger that way during those months what with that Mining PC producing a lot of heat during the day and no widow(s) open to vent it outside when the temps are so hot.

So at least part of the year it's essentially free since it's my heater upstairs. And that hopefully makes up for the increased costs in the summertime.

Getting back to using 7950(s) in a PC Case with the side panel on:
==========================================

Unless it's a great Gaming Case with plenty of fans it's just not going to handle more than one card running hard 24/7. Not unless you crank up the exhaust flow big time!!!

I am sure it could be done, read about it in fact, but then your stuck at a max of two cards, and having to settle on fixing the heat/air flow issues too. It will require a very good gaming case to exhaust the kind of heat generated with many fans, top, side, front and back, at higher speeds and electrical costs too!

(My Rack cost $20, plus the Poly cutting Board $9, plus a lot of Zip Ties of various sizes and lenths (already had them).

And well I run as many fans as say inside a "Higher quality Gaming PC Case" does on this open rack but their all running quite modestly, (slowly and quietly), and regulated by the motherboard sensors plus my customization too. The rack sits next to the desk I am typing this post on about 4 feet away right now. It's really not even loud, but instead rather quite once one get's used to it being there. And the Asus 7950's Fans are way quieter than the Sapphires card is.

So maybe this will help the noob's (newcomers) that are trying to build out from one to two and then up to three 7950's. BUT any more than 3 Video Cards and that 850watt Corsair Power Supply is NOT large enough.

BTW, that is the highest rated Power Supply on Newegg.com and it's rock solid reliable and plugged into a 1300 APC Battery Backup (that APC UPS is rated at about 850watts). Sadly on battery backup it lasts at most 1 minute while mining (yes the power has failed around here rather recently for more than a few seconds), and it only lasted about 1 minute on battery backup then even with new, better quality replaced batteries just recently installed! So maybe for 3 Cards one needs at least 1000watts UPS for battery backup to last at least say 90 seconds, lol. But it's great for sudden brown outs, surges, and the occasional lights out for a few seconds too. It also smooths the electrical flows and protects all the equipment and hardware from voltage drops as well as voltage surges.

Seriously consider adding a high quality UPS to protect all that hardware! I learned to protect all my PC's this way over 15 years ago and ever since then I have battery packup (UPS's) on all PC's at all times. Hard drives and their data can also be corrupted with "dirty voltage sources". Modern electronics are extremely sensitive to power surges as well as sudden spikes and drops. Use at least high quality surge strips if nothing else, but if your as serious as I am you will use a UPS for much better added protection. I consider a UPS essencial for every PC except a laptop, since of course a laptop has it's own battery only needs surge protection.

Best Tip: Read the product reviews at Newegg (or elsewhere) before ordering or purchasing any hardware so as to avoid as much as possible the poorly customer rated hardware and software. Some stuff is much better than other stuff. Get the good stuff, the higher rated products and save the hassles down the line of ending up with lower quality goods.

Anyway Best of Luck!

Caveat emptor - let the buyer beware!

adoalli

Activity: 646
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 04:41:51 AM

1100/1500 is good Grin

Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
November 13, 2013, 05:35:39 AM

You're getting a hashrate of 650-800?
Mine is stuck ~640.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
beegatewood

Activity: 297

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 05:43:14 AM

Mine is stuck ~640.

640 hash is at stock clock. If you didn't overclock then you are doing it right...

Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
November 13, 2013, 05:44:37 AM

Mine is stuck ~640.

640 hash is at stock clock. If you didn't overclock then you are doing it right...
I have increased the core clock and reduced the memory, else it isn't stable for me.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
rampalija

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 06:58:52 AM

Broken drivers, i had the same problem

MSI 7950 OC edeition single fan

GPU clock 1150
Mem clock 750
Intensity 18-20
VDDC 1.080
power tune 20

i get 630-660 KHs

I lowered the mem clock due to overheat. I have stabile clock

LucD88

Activity: 525
Merit: 510

View Profile
December 08, 2013, 11:34:36 PM
Last edit: December 09, 2013, 12:13:11 AM by LucD88

I'm still trying to find a sweet spot for my Sapphire 7950 3GB Boost (DUAL-X) (stock 925/1250/1.25v)

Why is everyone else getting much better speeds than me while having lower temperatures at the same time? Could it be the older versions of software I used? Gosh, help appreciated!

My system:
Sempron 145
8GB RAM
Windows 7 x64
Catalyst v12.8 (Driver only, so no CCC installed)
APP SDK v2.7
cgminer v3.7.2

These are my cgminer.conf settings:

Currently running: 1050 / 1500 / 1.15v @ 615KH/s (74C)
Slingshot

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 03:27:28 PM

Hey there LucD88,

I am not familiar with cgminer in command line mode by itself.

I use GUIminer-scrypt that incorporates cgminer, but it's wrapped in a GUI inside GUIminer. It allows for quick, easy switching between differently mined coins and pools as I desire. It's been so stable I never moved to merely cgminer by itself.  I still use is V.0.03 of GUIMiner-Scrypt, search for it's git page here in this forum if you want to try it. Toss some coin to it's author if you end up using and luving as much as I do. He made a great thread on it too here. And for 7950 users it's a good read even if they don't use GUIMiner-Scrypt.

As for Trixx beware of making any adjustments while mining at all. It may freeze, BSOD your PC. 1050/1500 and 24000 are my usual settings. Same for Afterburner too. Shutdown the miners before making any overclock or memory adjustments in those software apps.

All looks good from what I see in your screenshot except GPU 1 but that may be erroneous data if all you have is one 7950 card.

BUT, If you have two 7950 cards then the 2nd is not syncing to Trixx I would gather, maybe, because Trixx wont sync them together? I don't recall myself if it does that?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Edit: After reviewing your GPU1 temp it's obvious you have two 7950 cards since it's temp is much lower than GPU0 so if Trixx can't sync them for you switch to MSI Afterburner. Either the version I state here, or a much newer version maybe. Not the one just after my version though.
===========================================================================

Switch to the Afterburner version above if not. It works, it's better, it's great. But backup your BIOS on those card(s) with Trixx first, just in case you ever need to re-flash them. Afterburner can't backup your GPU's BIOS.

MSI Afterburner worked out MUCH better for me than Trixx ever did fyi. But I did backup my BIOS on the GPU's before ditching Trixx for Afterburner v.2.3.1 , the newer version of Afterburner I first tried gave me a bit of trouble so I moved to
 Afterburner v.2.3.1 and it worked out great.

Afterburner syncs all the 7950's to match one you preset as the master so they all output the same and sync to the same 1050/1500 overclock settings. Real nice that is. Even after closing Afterburner and rebooting the Overclocked setting stay at those settings until you later change them, unlike with Trixx when i tried it, which I had to keep running to keep the overclock settings intact, that sucks for a number of reasons.

At any rate from what I could see from your nice screenshot the 74c temp is in the ball park (okay). My #1 Card runs that high, the outboard card at 72c, it gets a bit more air and all. The third card runs about the same as #2 but it's on a 10" riser so it's not butted up to the other two cards, all on an open rack style miner.

Your return of about 600 khashs/sec also seems in the ballpark for GPU 0, depends on the mining pool and their hardware too quite often for how your results are, can vary a bit. I don't know about GPU 1, or what that refers to. I take it you only have one 7950 card??? If so then maybe that's the 2nd internal gpu on the same card? I don't know there??? That may or may not be okay there. Don't know.

But 600 to 625 khashs/sec is in the correct zone. Nothing wrong with that. At least from what my system returns.

Your AMD software version is fine btw. Once I get stable and leave it alone unless it needs a security patch and what not. Otherwise I stick to what is stable and known. KISS (keep it simple stupid) theory, lol. Works for me every time. Just like the path of least resistance with GUIMiner-scrypt does too.

But your cgminer version (newer) has some problematic issues I reviewed lately, someone stated to revert back to version 3.5.0 cgminer so that some 5 minute delay for fallover, or whatever, wouldn't be any issue, and maybe other issues, can't recall, don't use it, but I have it ready just in case the need ever arises, lol...

BTW:
 Your Sapphire has a boost switch on the card, on the top edge. In one setting it's running way higher voltage than the other setting. While the PC is off, and the power cord out, push the switch once. That sets the other mode. But if it's the higher voltage it's going to run MUCH hotter. So beware. And if yours has no light where the switch button is suppose to be then it's maybe not a boost model like my Sapphire 7950 is. Tough to say for certain without a pic of the card itself. Don't run the Sapphire in the higher voltage setting!!! Instead the lower one. It will be easy to tell which it is because in the higher voltage setting it will run WAY hotter! It sounds like yours is already in the lower (correct) voltage setting though.

Asus 7950's are way better built. MUCH Quieter too. Overbuilt to the max too, slightly less voltage than the lower setting on the Sapphires (a good thing) but toss the Asus software and grab AMD's straight from AMD support site, as usual.

So if you have two 7950's and the 2nd card wont put out as much as the first in terms of khash try MSI Afterburner and set one card as master and set them to all sync to the master card. It worked wonders for myself.

You said something ...mate so I take it your down under there! Wish I was too...grass always seems greener on the other side and all.

Slingshot

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 03:53:20 PM

Mine is stuck ~640.

For a 7950 those numbers above are not correct, from what I know, not for lower voltage cards/settings. Maybe I am wrong but I doubt that.

640 hash is NOT at stock clock. In fact I have to dial up the voltage back with the cards the boost setting switch set at 1.26v to get such results, and then the darn thing not only runs way too hot it's sucking the energy up so furiously that the electric bills are going to be way higher. At least that's what i have learned. Could be wrong, but doubt it seriously.

So in a sense the writer above is correct, if one runs at 1.26v, which for a boost model Sapphire 7950 is certainly possible, but running it that hot 24/7/365 is going to likely result in a worn out card mighty fast unless one gets a great card/fans included.

The Sapphire cards are not built very well, not to run that hard for long at 1.26v imo. Fans are too lame, the whole thing just barely up to spec really.

Out of three of them I returned two for not being up to par, one outright failing quickly, the 2nd being unstable. This last one is okay, but it too developed fan wobble and fan noise while idling. Interestingly while under load mining it's still chugging along so I refuse to replace the fans or warranty it until that fan either fails or gets a lot worse while under load. Sadly after it's retired from mining it will need a fan replaced. Really both because their cheaply made to say the least.
Slingshot

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 03:58:00 PM

RE: Powertune

I leave the "powertune" at default. In both AMD's software called Power Setting as I recall, and anywhere else in Trixx or Afterburner.

From what I reviewed a while ago leaving that at default tends to work out best, and systems stay more stable and reliable as well. I did experiment with it but ended up going back to default with that.

In MSI Afterburner that's referred to as "Power Limit (%), sorta the same for Trixx as I recall too. In the AMD Software window too. I ended up back at default for the best output, not to mention a more stable mining rig.
LucD88

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 08:09:29 PM
Last edit: December 09, 2013, 08:28:55 PM by LucD88

Thanks a lot for the feedback, I have been doing some thorough research on this card myself as well. And I have found an extremely nice sweet spot!

Running for 2+ hours now! (1050/1650/1.075 @ ~620KH/s, 66C, powertune 10, fanspeed ~65%) Great temperature for the speed I'm getting! You think there's room for improvement? Smiley

My cgminer settings:

As for the software, I am using Trixx because MSI Afterburner (no matter the version) doesn't give me voltage control. Not even after editing the .conf file a thousand times. For me Trixx is doing a job better than MSI Afterburner, and for now I have to disable to sync the cards because they're not the same cards. (1x Sapp 7950 3GB boost, 1x Sapp 7950 regular, got soon 2 more Sapp 7950 boost coming) It's configurable in Trixx (+ forcing constant voltage):
Slingshot

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 09:38:31 PM

RE: "Running for 2+ hours now! (1050/1650/1.075 @ ~620KH/s, 66C, powertune 10, fanspeed ~65%) Great temperature for the speed I'm getting! You think there's room for improvement?"

Nice! Very, very nice. And surprising that the temp is so low while the memory is dialed all the way up to 1650. Must be because the volts are lower at 1.076. Nice. I recall some saying it's kinda luck in terms of how good of GPU chip one gets in their 7950's. Some are absolutely better chips than others. In fact their all 7970 chips, but those that failed to test perfect end up as 7950's with a part of the chip effectively disabled if I recall correctly.

At any rate there is no other card that is as energy efficient as the 7950s and with electricity costs being what they are it only makes sense after factoring electricity costs to run 0nly 7950s. There are some links somewhere about this topic.

Anyway I too tested down to just over 1.2 volts or so and things were just too unstable for my rig there. Then later the replacement card is voltage locked to the boost on/off switch, unlike prior card(s). And the Asus cards are both voltage locked. Something like Trixx may say it's altering the Asus voltage, or even  a locked Sapphire but further verifying that wiht 50miner's overclock tab, or whatever, will confirm the real voltage levels, whatever they truly are, or are not.

In your case it appears yours are at the voltage claimed and that's great as long as doing simple tasks on the rig while it's running doesn't combine to crash the rig.

LucD88

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 09:58:19 PM
Last edit: December 09, 2013, 11:49:47 PM by LucD88

RE: "Running for 2+ hours now! (1050/1650/1.075 @ ~620KH/s, 66C, powertune 10, fanspeed ~65%) Great temperature for the speed I'm getting! You think there's room for improvement?"

Nice! Very, very nice. And surprising that the temp is so low while the memory is dialed all the way up to 1650. Must be because the volts are lower at 1.076. Nice. I recall some saying it's kinda luck in terms of how good of GPU chip one gets in their 7950's. Some are absolutely better chips than others. In fact their all 7970 chips, but those that failed to test perfect end up as 7950's with a part of the chip effectively disabled if I recall correctly.

At any rate there is no other card that is as energy efficient as the 7950s and with electricity costs being what they are it only makes sense after factoring electricity costs to run 0nly 7950s. There are some links somewhere about this topic.

Anyway I too tested down to just over 1.2 volts or so and things were just too unstable for my rig there. Then later the replacement card is voltage locked to the boost on/off switch, unlike prior card(s). And the Asus cards are both voltage locked. Something like Trixx may say it's altering the Asus voltage, or even  a locked Sapphire but further verifying that wiht 50miner's overclock tab, or whatever, will confirm the real voltage levels, whatever they truly are, or are not.

In your case it appears yours are at the voltage claimed and that's great as long as doing simple tasks on the rig while it's running doesn't combine to crash the rig.

I tried updating the videocard drivers and the APP SDK version, but it crashed cgminer quite early on. Now I'm trying to revert back to older versions CCC12.8 and APP SDK2.7 but I can't seem to succeed.. cgminer keeps crashing on startup, already removed all .bin files..

EDIT:
Fixed it myself, seemed to be an OpenCL issue. After removing drivers and reinstalling the older ones, the OpenCL database didn't rebuild properly. Followed this simple guide to fix it: http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=359883

Back to boosting my GPU!
LucD88

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 04:39:55 PM

The first few hours of running I get around 640KH/s, but after about 4+ hours it drops back to 580KH/s. What could be causing this?

Also I set Trixx to VDDC 1075, while cgminer is showing 1250v.. Am I missing something?

Compare card voltage in cgminer with the VDDC in Trixx..
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: