Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 03:20:49 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The importance of keeping passphrases, seeds, passwords, etc...  (Read 435 times)
webwakko (OP)

Activity: 350
Merit: 100

It's all about the cryptocoins

View Profile WWW
September 27, 2017, 11:32:38 AM

Hi,

Due to the fact that I was to wreckless when it comes to keeping a backup of my Waves Wallet, which resulted in the loss of my access to this wallet, I wanted to write this small thread to prevent others ending up with the same problem.
Always keep your passphrases stored somewhere (mobile phone note, file/screenshot on your computer, secured documents app or folder, ...)
Always keep your passphrases stored somewhere (mobile phone note, file/screenshot on your computer, secured documents app or folder, ...)

I can't say this enough !
This could save you a lot of frustration afterwards...

What happend with me?

I created a second wallet on the waves wallet platform as a result of following a tutorial to lease my wavetokens.
Google Chrome asked me if the password needed to be updated in the password manager, I said yess
Despite the fact that this password was linked to another wallet, chrome updated the password and for some reason linked it to my login for both wallets.

Result: there's no way to recover the previous password that was set and thus I'm no longer able to login to my original waves wallet.
I thought I saved a screenshot/file with the seed for that first wallet, but it seems I didn't keep that file.
Without the seed / passphrase, there's no way to get back the needed info to access the wallet = byebye precious tokens

So, one last time for those who already forgot the subject of this thread :

BE WARNED !

⚡⚡ PRiVCY ⚡⚡   ▂▃▅▆█ PRiVCY (PRIV) is a new PoW/PoS revolutionary privacy project  ☞ Best privacy crypto-market! █▆▅▃▂
    Own Your Privacy! ───────────────── WebsiteGithub  |  Bitcointalk  |  Twitter  |  Discord  |  Explorer ─────────────────
   ✯✯✯✯✯                 ✈✈✈[Free Airdrop - Starts 9th June][Tor]✈✈✈ ║───────────║ Wallet ➢ Windows  |  macOS  |  Linux

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
trickyriky

Activity: 882
Merit: 251

View Profile
September 27, 2017, 03:59:32 PM

You have 90% chance that you can restore you password!

Use this article and you will get old versions of chrome folder, where old waves password will be!
https://www.repairwin.com/recover-deleted-bookmarks-passwords-settings-chrome/

So you can give me award. This is my bitcoin wallet:
1NVUBdHLiEJME93DaWZLFGHKXYUS8c7SpZ

Or I can give you waves wallet.
Chrmel612

Activity: 406
Merit: 102

Republia - New Blockchain Technology

View Profile
September 27, 2017, 04:09:09 PM

Use this article and you will get old versions of chrome folder, where old waves password will be!

Thank you for sharing this.

Leading-Edge Ecosystem & Technology    ▌   R E P U B L I A   ▐     P R E - S A L E   :   August 23rd - September 23rd
▬   ▬▬   ▬▬▬   ▬▬▬▬   ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬   ▬▬▬▬   ▬▬▬   ▬▬   ▬
|      [ WHITEPAPER ]  [ BOUNTY ]  [ ANN THREAD ]       |         Facebook        Telegram        Twitter        Instagram          |
loragean03

Activity: 403

View Profile
September 28, 2017, 12:10:00 AM

Hi,

Due to the fact that I was to wreckless when it comes to keeping a backup of my Waves Wallet, which resulted in the loss of my access to this wallet, I wanted to write this small thread to prevent others ending up with the same problem.

I can't say this enough !
This could save you a lot of frustration afterwards...

What happend with me?

I created a second wallet on the waves wallet platform as a result of following a tutorial to lease my wavetokens.
Google Chrome asked me if the password needed to be updated in the password manager, I said yess
Despite the fact that this password was linked to another wallet, chrome updated the password and for some reason linked it to my login for both wallets.

Result: there's no way to recover the previous password that was set and thus I'm no longer able to login to my original waves wallet.
I thought I saved a screenshot/file with the seed for that first wallet, but it seems I didn't keep that file.
Without the seed / passphrase, there's no way to get back the needed info to access the wallet = byebye precious tokens

So, one last time for those who already forgot the subject of this thread :

BE WARNED !

thanks for being me warned. im sorry about what happen on your waves wallet.
all wallets has a passphrases, seeds, passwords, etc to recover your account or open your account on some other devices, so you easily access your wallets on the other devices. so keep on keeping those passphrases, seeds, passwords, because they are totally important for us who using those wallets to save our hard work coins.
mrcash02

Activity: 1190
Merit: 525

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
September 28, 2017, 01:19:47 AM

That's not a good idea at all. Imagine what would happen if you lost your phone or notebook. The best thing to do would be to encrypt sensitive data and then put it in multiple places. The password has to be strong, of course. And remember that backups are very important as you can see. I wouldn't trust Google password saving for important things. Even if the data is encrypted before synchronisation, they still might be able to read it in plaintext.

I wouldn't store my passwords virtually... First because a hacker can have access to it if he invades the system and then it's over, second because these systems can stop working for several reasons.

I prefer to keep passwords stored on a notebook, written by hand, much safer, you just need to store it somewhere no one will touch.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.CryptoTalk.org.|.MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!.🏆
HabBear

Activity: 1106
Merit: 637

View Profile WWW
September 28, 2017, 02:04:21 AM

Yes! AND REMEMBER, YOUR PASSPHRASE IS NOT SAFE IT'S STORED ON A MOBILE PHONE, IN A FILE ON YORU COMPUTER, IN A SCREENSHOT ON YOUR COMPUTER, IN A SECURED DOCUMENTS APP, ETC...

Computers can be hacked, therefore they are not secure. Mobile phones can be hacked, therefore they are not secure.
Computers can be hacked, therefore they are not secure. Mobile phones can be hacked, therefore they are not secure.

It really can't be said enough. You've been warned!
gerrrr

Activity: 17
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 28, 2017, 02:40:33 AM

Yes! AND REMEMBER, YOUR PASSPHRASE IS NOT SAFE IT'S STORED ON A MOBILE PHONE, IN A FILE ON YORU COMPUTER, IN A SCREENSHOT ON YOUR COMPUTER, IN A SECURED DOCUMENTS APP, ETC...

best place to store it is in your head.  can't be hacked (at least, not yet!)  can't be stolen like a notebook.  keep a master password in your head and use it with an app like 1Password.
Philip Graham

Activity: 140

View Profile
September 28, 2017, 12:13:18 PM

best place to store it is in your head.  can't be hacked (at least, not yet!)  can't be stolen like a notebook.  keep a master password in your head and use it with an app like 1Password.

but if you lose your memory?), it's better to keep it in the old-fashioned way at home in a folder with important documents or in a cell in a bank)
DRVX

Activity: 966
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 30, 2017, 12:29:10 PM

but if you lose your memory?), it's better to keep it in the old-fashioned way at home in a folder with important documents or in a cell in a bank)

Better keep it in bank and bank under your's garden  Grin Grin Grin

Without joke you can keep it in crypted flash card.
tyuner4

Activity: 322
Merit: 179

View Profile
September 30, 2017, 06:15:05 PM

Thanks for the warning. It is better to write the passwords somewhere.
webwakko (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 03, 2017, 08:15:54 AM

I already stumbled upon this article, but this did not help me.. I am unable to restore older version..

⚡⚡ PRiVCY ⚡⚡   ▂▃▅▆█ PRiVCY (PRIV) is a new PoW/PoS revolutionary privacy project  ☞ Best privacy crypto-market! █▆▅▃▂
    Own Your Privacy! ───────────────── WebsiteGithub  |  Bitcointalk  |  Twitter  |  Discord  |  Explorer ─────────────────
   ✯✯✯✯✯                 ✈✈✈[Free Airdrop - Starts 9th June][Tor]✈✈✈ ║───────────║ Wallet ➢ Windows  |  macOS  |  Linux
webwakko (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 03, 2017, 08:20:25 AM

True, but paper can be lost also, (burned, stolen, thrown away with publicity, eaten by your dog, faded in time, ...)
So.. to conclude.. unless you store it on a SECURE place (digital or on a paper with everlasting ink) you'll never be safe Smiley
I was aiming at storing it in a SECURE place.. how you secure it is up to you... people should know by now that every important document should be kept safe from hackers..

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: