Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 09:56:54 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Question About Community Support  (Read 170 times)
baradfo (OP)

Activity: 232
Merit: 105

View Profile
October 01, 2017, 02:17:20 AM

How would the community feel if an ICO in the US complied with the SEC, FINRA, and FINCEN regulations, and got the nod from the SEC, to run the ICO? Obviously everything would be spelled out and transparent to the community in the whitepaper on how the company would run the business and how the funds would be distributed. But if the US Federal government was ok with the ICO, would the community invest? (obviously if they were interested)

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The block chain is the main innovation of Bitcoin. It is the first distributed timestamping system.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
cpfreeplz
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1042

View Profile
October 01, 2017, 02:33:02 AM

Well would you own a token in the end or stock? If you're going along with all regulations how would you even be able to offer a token rather than a stock? I'd be interested but I'm not American so it probably wouldn't affect me.
baradfo (OP)

View Profile
October 01, 2017, 02:47:01 AM

Well would you own a token in the end or stock? If you're going along with all regulations how would you even be able to offer a token rather than a stock? I'd be interested but I'm not American so it probably wouldn't affect me.

without revealing too much since I'm still doing homework before anything concrete starts, you wouldn't own stock in the company. You would get the token to purchase an asset that will pay a percentage to the token owner based on how many tokens are put into the asset. Under the rules of crowdfunding with the SEC I could see them interpreting that it's a security and the personnel in the company would have to register/certify with the SEC.
centralbanksequalsbombs

Activity: 378
Merit: 278

Bitcoin :open immutable decentralized global fair

View Profile
October 01, 2017, 02:52:23 AM

How would the community feel if an ICO in the US complied with the SEC, FINRA, and FINCEN regulations, and got the nod from the SEC, to run the ICO? Obviously everything would be spelled out and transparent to the community in the whitepaper on how the company would run the business and how the funds would be distributed. But if the US Federal government was ok with the ICO, would the community invest? (obviously if they were interested)

ICOs=scams, whether you want a legitimized scam or an illegitimate scam. Legitimized will cost millions in investor value just for legal/bank fees. So scam with high price tag and in the hole-out-the-door
IPOs=legitimized scams

Sure, bring on more IPOs:
http://stockcharts.com/h-sc/ui?s=FIT&p=D&yr=2&mn=0&dy=0&id=p94833170571

http://stockcharts.com/h-sc/ui?s=SNAP&p=D&yr=2&mn=0&dy=0&id=p94833170571

http://stockcharts.com/h-sc/ui?s=SFM&p=D&yr=2&mn=0&dy=0&id=p94833170571

http://stockcharts.com/h-sc/ui?s=GPRO&p=D&yr=2&mn=0&dy=0&id=p94833170571

Ever heard the term, altcoins "scamcoins"?

xypos

Activity: 532
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 01, 2017, 04:38:16 AM

Well, if you had the approval of SEC to do an ICO then obviously people will be extra incentivised to invest in whatever idea you are trying to market to them. However pretty sure starting ICOs in US is already legal anyways, and you don't need the explicit consent of the SEC to do what you want to do.

I would personally stay away from ICOs for the fact that most are projects with no real value behind them. All they want is your money, and when they get it, they disappear fast.
Endikadija

Activity: 1458
Merit: 509

View Profile
October 01, 2017, 04:45:38 AM

They would invest in the ico, But do you have seen about the recent news that some firm in the US are developing the exchange sites to the security token? That was look good in my opinion.
As you can see the problem is about the SEC compliant about the icos that some are not meet the standard.
baradfo (OP)

View Profile
October 01, 2017, 06:47:18 AM

I understand the overall feeling with ICOs being scams, with all of the ones that are out there. I truly believe in the blockchain and it's ability to change the way some things are done. That's why I'm thinking an ICO vs. and IPO. I would utilize the blockchain to help the industry that I'm going to be doing this in, as there are a lot of mistakes that have happened due to manual processes and if there is a digital record of it I think that it would be able to ensure correct documents.

Before doing any sort of IPO I would have a registered company conducting the business that would be doing this, and with the SEC oversight the company disappearing would be minimal. (I could say "trust me" but if we all had a satoshi for every time we heard that we'd all be retiring) So that's one reason why I would involve the federal government, along with the idea that me doing all this work and them coming in to shut it down doesn't sit well with me. I also don't want to have something started and then the community isn't as responsive.
baradfo (OP)

View Profile
October 01, 2017, 06:49:19 AM

Well, if you had the approval of SEC to do an ICO then obviously people will be extra incentivised to invest in whatever idea you are trying to market to them. However pretty sure starting ICOs in US is already legal anyways, and you don't need the explicit consent of the SEC to do what you want to do.

I would personally stay away from ICOs for the fact that most are projects with no real value behind them. All they want is your money, and when they get it, they disappear fast.

ICOs are legal in the US, and I don't need the SEC nod, but it would be an extra check to anybody willing to invest that I went through the red tape and hurdles to say "I'm not going to scam you."
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: