Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 05:32:42 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Altcoin discussions everywhere.  (Read 4521 times)
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
May 11, 2013, 03:20:57 PM

Ok, and what should I do with the Portuguese forum? People have been posting about Litecoins and other clonecoins there, but I can't move those posts to the alt. curr. board as the posts are written in Portuguese and if I trash them someone will be mad at me.
Any ideas?

There a bunch of alt coin posts every day?  If so, you should talk to theymos about getting a portuguese alt-coin subforum setup.

One Off-Topic child-board would be enough to send those posts to, after all this IS BitcoinTalk and any alt coin thread is off-topic per se.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"There should not be any signed int. If you've found a signed int somewhere, please tell me (within the next 25 years please) and I'll change it to unsigned int." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
tysat
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1004

Keep it real

View Profile
May 11, 2013, 03:37:29 PM

Ok, and what should I do with the Portuguese forum? People have been posting about Litecoins and other clonecoins there, but I can't move those posts to the alt. curr. board as the posts are written in Portuguese and if I trash them someone will be mad at me.
Any ideas?

There a bunch of alt coin posts every day?  If so, you should talk to theymos about getting a portuguese alt-coin subforum setup.

One Off-Topic child-board would be enough to send those posts to, after all this IS BitcoinTalk and any alt coin thread is off-topic per se.

That's a solid option.
1Peter

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 11, 2013, 04:03:34 PM

I haven't been here long but I've seen this point raised several times and I still don't understand the reluctance to create sub forums for altcoins. Surely all altcoins are simply alternate versions, variations, or flavours of bitcoin by definition?
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

View Profile
May 11, 2013, 04:08:43 PM

I haven't been here long but I've seen this point raised several times and I still don't now understand the reluctance to create sub forums for altcoins. Surely all most altcoins are simply scams! alternate versions, variations, or flavours of bitcoin by definition?

FTFY
1Peter

View Profile
May 11, 2013, 04:14:34 PM

I haven't been here long but I've seen this point raised several times and I still don't now understand the reluctance to create sub forums for altcoins. Surely all most altcoins are simply scams! alternate versions, variations, or flavours of bitcoin by definition?

FTFY

Lol.. thanks.. but seriously, they're all variations on bitcoin to a greater or lesser degree aren't they?

I can appreciate you not liking them, but is that a good reason to not have sub forums for them? Surely sub forums are simply about making the site easier to use for people?
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

View Profile
May 11, 2013, 04:31:00 PM

FTFY

Lol.. thanks.. but seriously, they're all variations on bitcoin to a greater or lesser degree aren't they?

I can appreciate you not liking them, but is that a good reason to not have sub forums for them? Surely sub forums are simply about making the site easier to use for people?

To be honest I only see one alt chain trying to do something different using the Bitcoin codebase and that is Namecoin.
Most others are just pump-and-dump schemes made by fellows who are butthurt for not being a Bitcoin early adopter, like we aren't all early adopters still Wink
John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1225

Away on an extended break

View Profile
May 11, 2013, 04:38:57 PM

FTFY

To be honest I only see one alt chain trying to do something different using the Bitcoin codebase and that is Namecoin.
Most others are just pump-and-dump schemes made by fellows who are butthurt for not being a Bitcoin early adopter, like we aren't all early adopters still Wink

Agreed. Every time I pop in the alt subsection I see yet another pump and dump coin.  Undecided
1Peter

View Profile
May 11, 2013, 05:23:15 PM

I hear you.. but does the (lack of) value of altcoins mean they shouldn't have sub forums? If we can separate what we think of altcoins from whether they need sub forums, we might decide that sub forums for altcoins is a useful move for the forum in general.

No doubt new altcoins will be popping up for a while yet, so why not at least try to minimize the increasing chaos of a single altcoin sub forum by giving altcoins individual sub forums? Otherwise surely the problem is only going to get worse..
BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1127

View Profile WWW
May 11, 2013, 05:33:38 PM

Giving altcoins their own individual forums is a nonstarter, far too many altcoins come and go in a matter of days/weeks.

Besides, the majority of them have very few changes, making new subforums would be putting more work into the altcoins than went into the altcoin itself.

1Kz25jm6pjNTaz8bFezEYUeBYfEtpjuKRG | PGP: B5797C4F

Tired of annoying signature ads? Ad block for signatures
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

View Profile
May 11, 2013, 05:37:00 PM

I hear you.. but does the (lack of) value of altcoins mean they shouldn't have sub forums? If we can separate what we think of altcoins from whether they need sub forums, we might decide that sub forums for altcoins is a useful move for the forum in general.

No doubt new altcoins will be popping up for a while yet, so why not at least try to minimize the increasing chaos of a single altcoin sub forum by giving altcoins individual sub forums? Otherwise surely the problem is only going to get worse..

How about just deleting the entire Alternative Currencies board? Problem solved instead of getting worse.
Whoever makes those coins can setup their own forums with their pump-and-dump early mining profits.
1Peter

View Profile
May 11, 2013, 05:52:32 PM

How about just deleting the entire Alternative Currencies board? Problem solved instead of getting worse. Whoever makes those coins can setup their own forums with their pump-and-dump early mining profits.

And have a pure bitcoin forum with no discussion of altcoins at all? That would be one solution.. but is it likely to happen, realistically?

If not, what else can be done about the problem?
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

View Profile
May 11, 2013, 06:02:24 PM

How about just deleting the entire Alternative Currencies board? Problem solved instead of getting worse. Whoever makes those coins can setup their own forums with their pump-and-dump early mining profits.

And have a pure bitcoin forum with no discussion of altcoins at all? That would be one solution.. but is it likely to happen, realistically?

If not, what else can be done about the problem?

They could still discuss them: on the Off-Topic board.
Now try to follow my thought: what if theymos really decides to delete that entire board and forbid alt coin threads? What will happen to all those homeless dudes who relied on BitcoinTalk.org to discusspump their alt-coin flavour of the day? In the name of decentralization they should setup their own forums on their own domains and servers. They're relying on theymos(and bitcointalk.org staff) too much. Bitcoin by itself is a magnet for problems and trolls, alt coins only aggravate that problem.
1Peter

View Profile
May 11, 2013, 07:56:45 PM

Quote from: psy
They could still discuss them: on the Off-Topic board.

Wouldn't that be back to square one with a mass of posts about various altcoins all on the one board?

Quote from: psy
Now try to follow my thought: what if theymos really decides to delete that entire board and forbid alt coin threads? What will happen to all those homeless dudes who relied on BitcoinTalk.org to discusspump their alt-coin flavour of the day? In the name of decentralization they should setup their own forums on their own domains and servers. They're relying on theymos(and bitcointalk.org staff) too much. Bitcoin by itself is a magnet for problems and trolls, alt coins only aggravate that problem.

I agree it wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing for altcoins to set up their own domains/forums, so long as the bitcointalk forum in general didn't see it as a loss..
Mahn

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 11, 2013, 11:16:50 PM

Giving altcoins their own individual forums is a nonstarter, far too many altcoins come and go in a matter of days/weeks.

Besides, the majority of them have very few changes, making new subforums would be putting more work into the altcoins than went into the altcoin itself.

Theoretically one would not need one separate subforum for each coin, but rather subforums such as "marketplace", "exchange", "mining", "giveaways"... that would make it future proof and much tidier with very little effort.

Either way this is getting out of hand. You guys need to take a stance and either expand the altcoins subforum or remove it altogether.

BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1127

View Profile WWW
May 12, 2013, 12:29:23 AM

Theoretically one would not need one separate subforum for each coin, but rather subforums such as "marketplace", "exchange", "mining", "giveaways"... that would make it future proof and much tidier with very little effort.

Either way this is getting out of hand. You guys need to take a stance and either expand the altcoins subforum or remove it altogether.

We have taken a stance, some people just want to see how many ways they can hear no.

Alternate cryptocurrencies is the alternative to deleting them, nothing more. Nothing against them really, at least some have a goal. But at the end of the day, there's few things more annoying than seeing yet another good thread have a 5 page derail over how xcoin is better.

This forum is already a lot of work and time, would require a lot of restructuring and many more mods to be the 'cryptocurrency forum'. Alt currencies would require a lot of work and child boards to get it under control.

1Kz25jm6pjNTaz8bFezEYUeBYfEtpjuKRG | PGP: B5797C4F

Tired of annoying signature ads? Ad block for signatures
🏰 TradeFortress 🏰
Bitcoin Veteran
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1043

👻

View Profile
May 12, 2013, 12:52:33 AM

There's more than one forum in the world, and this forum is bitcointalk.
-ck (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 4088
Merit: 1631

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
May 12, 2013, 06:23:09 AM

This aggressive migration of threads has certainly helped drive precisely what is needed for both bitcointalk and the altcoin discussions:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=202630.0

Developer/maintainer for cgminer, ckpool/ckproxy, and the -ck kernel
2% Fee Solo mining at solo.ckpool.org
-ck
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

View Profile
May 12, 2013, 06:30:42 AM

This aggressive migration of threads has certainly helped drive precisely what is needed for both bitcointalk and the altcoin discussions:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=202630.0

1 year too late... Grin
-ck (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 4088
Merit: 1631

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
May 12, 2013, 07:19:41 AM

Oh it's the second forum of its kind.

Now all we need is a new altcoin forum every day.

No, wait...

Developer/maintainer for cgminer, ckpool/ckproxy, and the -ck kernel
2% Fee Solo mining at solo.ckpool.org
-ck
wumpus

Activity: 812
Merit: 1022

No Maps for These Territories

View Profile
May 12, 2013, 08:27:36 AM
Last edit: May 12, 2013, 10:29:00 AM by John Smith

I haven't been here long but I've seen this point raised several times and I still don't understand the reluctance to create sub forums for altcoins. Surely all altcoins are simply alternate versions, variations, or flavours of bitcoin by definition?
They are usually based on variations of the bitcoin code. However, other altcoins

• ...usually don't even have a dedicated community that accepts the coins (hence, no dedicated forums or irc). Many of the people run as soon as another coin is more profitable for speculation.
  • ...usually don't have a remotely dedicated dev team. Many of them are "create and run", so there is no one to address problems with the network or even rebase to newer versions of the client.
  • ...are often schemes to prey on newbies that think all coins are created equally. It's trivial to fork the bitcoin code with a different genesis block and different parameters, however to think that this gets you even close to what bitcoin community has built up painfully over the years is "cargo cult" thinking.
  • ...are often pump and dump schemes (many exceptions here, but even the coins not set up as pump and dump are used thusly)
  • ...are sometimes vectors to install spyware to steal other wallets and/or login info

There are some exceptions (such as ripple), but as said by others it's not up to bitcointalk.org to "pick winners". IMO the founders of the altcoin should make sure that their community has places to communicate.

Bitcoin Core developer [PGP] Warning: For most, coin loss is a larger risk than coin theft. A disk can die any time. Regularly back up your wallet through FileBackup Wallet to an external storage or the (encrypted!) cloud. Use a separate offline wallet for storing larger amounts.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: