Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 12:44:21 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] Project m-day  (Read 3839 times)
eMansipater (OP)

Activity: 294
Merit: 273

View Profile WWW
May 10, 2013, 11:03:10 AM
Last edit: May 27, 2013, 08:04:04 PM by eMansipater

Edit:  Project m-day has now been officially announced!

m-day is coming.  Are you ready for m-day?

Today I launched the first phase of a mysterious community project centered around June 2nd 2013, a.k.a. m-day.  As with all my projects, Project m-day aims to promote, inform, and grow the Bitcoin community, with a particular emphasis on improving user-friendliness.  You can help me by letting others know about m-day, putting it in your signature, or participating in the effort to create teaser artwork/media.  Even if supporting a community project doesn't interest you, there's 3 bitcoins in prizes up for grabs.

I'll be providing more details as we get closer to June 2nd, but for now all you need to know is that Project m-day is worth paying attention to.  I have some other members of the community who will be helping me out, and if you're interested in joining them feel free to shoot me a pm.  Together we can make m-day a major milestone in the history of Bitcoin!

your friend,
eMansipater

m-day is not for everyone.  Do not join m-day if you have a history of heart disease or elbow warts.  Consult with your doctor before making any commitment to m-day.  Payment of one soul upon participation in m-day may be required.  Complications include sleeplessness, irritability, and Twitter.  No refunds.

If you found my post helpful, feel free to send a small tip to 1QGukeKbBQbXHtV6LgkQa977LJ3YHXXW8B
Visit the BitCoin Q&A Site to ask questions or share knowledge.
0.009 BTC too confusing?  Use mBTC instead!  Details at www.em-bit.org or visit the project thread to help make Bitcoin prices more human-friendly.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"If you don't want people to know you're a scumbag then don't be a scumbag." -- margaritahuyan
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
bujiraso

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 10, 2013, 05:58:00 PM

Crap. I have elbow warts. Count me out.

Also, to tease you a bit: what is this, the video game industry? We announcing announcements now?
eMansipater (OP)

View Profile WWW
May 11, 2013, 04:44:19 AM

Also, to tease you a bit: what is this, the video game industry? We announcing announcements now?

If it ain't broken, don't fix it Wink

More seriously, though, I just want this thread to be the thread for the project itself, and that thread to be specifically for the contest (which is only one part of the project).  That way people's questions and non-contest interest in M-day don't need to clutter up the thread where the contest submissions are being posted, and I can continue updating this thread even after the contest completes.

If you found my post helpful, feel free to send a small tip to 1QGukeKbBQbXHtV6LgkQa977LJ3YHXXW8B
0.009 BTC too confusing?  Use mBTC instead!  Details at www.em-bit.org or visit the project thread to help make Bitcoin prices more human-friendly.
eMansipater (OP)

View Profile WWW
May 15, 2013, 07:48:23 PM

So, the contest is well under way.  Has anyone guessed what m-day is all about yet?

ahdinosaur

Activity: 38
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
May 16, 2013, 05:17:22 AM

So, the contest is well under way.  Has anyone guessed what m-day is all about yet?

do i get any mBTC if i guess it right?
eMansipater (OP)

View Profile WWW
May 16, 2013, 04:27:50 PM

do i get any mBTC if i guess it right?

No promises on that.  But fire away and see what happens!

Welsh
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3248
Merit: 4110

View Profile
May 16, 2013, 04:32:53 PM

I'm looking forward to actually finding out what this is and how it works out.

Good luck!
eMansipater (OP)

View Profile WWW
May 16, 2013, 04:45:12 PM

I'm looking forward to actually finding out what this is and how it works out.

Good luck!

Thanks!

moltenmich

Activity: 130
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
May 21, 2013, 05:05:51 AM

Does m day have anything to do with promoting millibits as the common denomination used when dealing with typical btc transactions? That way it makes it easier for people accustomed to dealing with dollars to make an easier calculation when converting the value between USD and BTC? (Since 1 dollar is aroooound 1 mbit) I'm guessing m day would be the grand opening of an exchange that displays mbits as the standard unit? Or perhaps a conversion site that uses mbits as the standard unit of comparison? I'm excited to learn more!

█ Professional Design & Multimedia █

michpalmer.com
eMansipater (OP)

View Profile WWW
May 27, 2013, 08:01:40 PM
Last edit: May 27, 2013, 08:36:02 PM by eMansipater

So, what is m-day all about?

Well, as many have guessed:

"m" is for mBTC!
or mXBT!

(Project m-day doesn't pick sides on conventions, we just love the .001 bitcoin unit whatever you call it)

So what's the deal with June 2nd?

On June 2nd 2011, one mBTC exceeded the value of the lowest circulating unit in the worlds most circulating currency, the U.S. cent.  That was two years ago, and we think that it's time to switch!

To that end, Project m-day is a massive publicity campaign to make sure everyone knows about the mBTC unit, thereby making it easier for merchants, exchanges, and websites to use it and default to it.  Many bitcoin projects and businesses such as the reddit bitcointip bot, Seals with Clubs, the Bitcoin-Qt "standard" client, and the Electrum client have led the way by integrating support for mBTC, and we know support for mBTC use is rising every day.  It really is time to start talking in 'm'!

Goals of Project m-day
Here's how we're working to make use of the mBTC unit easier:

• The 'm' List is an attempt to track businesses, websites, and software who either support or default to an mBTC unit of some kind.  Post in that thread to help add the ones we've missed!
  • We're producing resources explaining the mBTC unit, so that websites, businesses, and software can simply refer people with a link for easy, understandable explanations.
  • We're running a community contest to produce media for "m-day".  Go there now to help vote for someone to receive 1000 mBTC for their efforts, or to add your own contribution!
  • We're partnering with relevant domain name owners to improve search results for terms like "millibits", "millicoins", "mBTC", and "mXBT".  People need to be able to find good information on any mBTC terminology whenever they need it
  • We're going to tell everyone about m-day 2013, and encourage people to use June 2nd, 2013 (the two year anniversary of surpassing the U.S. cent) as a chance to get the mBTC conversation going.  People can't use mBTC if they haven't heard about them.
  • Do you have a favourite website that you wish would support mBTC? Let them know about m-day and ask them if they have plans to add support for the unit soon.  Most organisations will (wisely) not start using mBTC until there is sufficient demand for it amongst their users.  By taking the chance to communicate in a concerted way, you can help websites gauge the importance of this issue to their users.  Adding new units does take work, and they need to make sure it's worth their while.
  • ____________Fill in the blank.  We're open to more suggestions.  If you have a great idea for making mBTC usage easier or more popular, we'd love to hear it.  Chime in below, and let's get the mBTC conversation going!

As of today, 1 mBTC = 13 cents US.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: