Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 11:10:57 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: 2013-05-07 Bitcoin: The Tyranny Test  (Read 2053 times)
matonis (OP)

Activity: 303
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
May 10, 2013, 11:26:58 AM

By Paul Rosenberg

"Bitcoin has now put governments and banks in the position of judging themselves. They will write their own verdicts."

http://lewrockwell.com/rosenberg/rosenberg-p17.1.html

Founding Director, Bitcoin Foundation
I also cover the bitcoin economy for Forbes, American Banker, PaymentsSource, and CoinDesk.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"If you don't want people to know you're a scumbag then don't be a scumbag." -- margaritahuyan
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
May 10, 2013, 11:52:22 AM

Now that was good
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
May 10, 2013, 09:31:34 PM

Finally some sanity is introduced.

Sometimes, I really feel like now that the mainstream is showing up in the bitcoinosphere the level of intelligent, rational debate is being diluted to worthlessness and we are descending back into the screeching madness of the mob associated with fiat monies ...  Undecided

Severian

Activity: 476

View Profile
May 10, 2013, 09:34:03 PM

the screeching madness of the mob associated with fiat monies ...  Undecided

The Eternal September of Bitcoin is here. Sad
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
May 10, 2013, 11:10:07 PM

the screeching madness of the mob associated with fiat monies ...  Undecided

Quite ... maybe a market opportunity for a more discerning forum exists ... like say anyone with a bitcointalk.org post pre-first reward halving?

GenTarkin
Legendary

Activity: 2450

View Profile
May 10, 2013, 11:38:21 PM

man, this was an exceptionally brilliant article. I havent even thought of this side bitcoins...
very well done!

GenTarkin's MOD Kncminer Titan custom firmware! v1.0.4! -- !!NO LONGER AVAILABLE!!
Donations: bitcoin- 1Px71mWNQNKW19xuARqrmnbcem1dXqJ3At || litecoin- LYXrLis3ik6TRn8tdvzAyJ264DRvwYVeEw
Severian

View Profile
May 11, 2013, 12:26:14 AM

maybe a market opportunity for a more discerning forum exists ... like say anyone with a bitcointalk.org post pre-first reward halving?

An ethics test would be nice too. Wink
StarfishPrime

Activity: 358

View Profile
May 11, 2013, 02:08:40 AM

the screeching madness of the mob associated with fiat monies ...  Undecided

Quite ... maybe a market opportunity for a more discerning forum exists ... like say anyone with a bitcointalk.org post pre-first reward halving?

Arrrrrr.. best be careful what we're discerning . . many of us remember the pre-halving 'bad old days' of bitcoin when miners were gullible and pirates and their 'pass-through' accomplices lurked everywhere.

"The Tyranny Test" is brilliant. Begs the question why state-controlled media in China is running largely positive bitcoin stories, while the ECB identified bitcoin as a "potential threat" as early as last fall.

¦                     
  ¦    ¦¦¦               
¦¦  ¦¦¦¦                 
                             ¦¦  ¦¦¦¦
                          ¦ ¦¦ ¦¦¦¦                     
                         ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
                        ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
                        ¦¦¦¦¦¦
                  ¦¦¦  ¦¦¦¦¦¦
                   ¦ ¦¦¦¦¦¦

¦¦  ¦ ¦¦¦¦
                    ¦¦    ¦¦¦¦
                    ¦¦  ¦ ¦¦¦¦
                   ¦¦¦  ¦ ¦¦¦¦¦
                ¦¦¦¦    ¦ ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
             ¦¦¦¦¦    ¦ ¦¦ ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
          ¦¦¦¦¦       ¦  ¦   ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
        ¦¦¦¦         ¦        ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
     ¦¦¦¦          ¦      ¦    ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
    ¦¦¦         ¦¦         ¦   ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
   ¦¦        ¦¦         ¦¦  ¦   ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
  ¦¦       ¦          ¦ ¦¦   ¦  ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
 ¦¦¦     ¦¦          ¦   ¦    ¦  ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
¦¦¦     ¦          ¦      ¦   ¦¦ ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
¦¦¦    ¦        ¦¦         ¦¦  ¦ ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
¦¦¦   ¦¦     ¦¦         ¦   ¦  ¦ ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
¦¦¦   ¦     ¦¦         ¦¦¦   ¦ ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
 ¦¦   ¦¦    ¦        ¦    ¦  ¦ ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
 ¦¦    ¦   ¦        ¦¦    ¦  ¦ ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
  ¦¦    ¦  ¦¦       ¦     ¦  ¦ ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
   ¦¦    ¦  ¦      ¦      ¦  ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
    ¦¦¦   ¦ ¦¦     ¦¦     ¦  ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
     ¦¦¦   ¦ ¦¦     ¦¦    ¦ ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
       ¦¦¦¦  ¦ ¦¦    ¦  ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
          ¦¦¦¦¦¦  ¦¦  ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
             ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
                        ¦¦

TorCoin.....
¦
¦
¦
¦
  Fully Anonymous TOR-integrated Crypto
               ¦ Windows     ¦ Linux     ¦ GitHub     ¦ macOS
     ¦
     ¦
     ¦
     ¦
   ANN THREAD
     ¦
     ¦
     ¦
     ¦
[/center]
Severian

View Profile
May 11, 2013, 03:31:01 AM

Begs the question why state-controlled media in China is running largely positive bitcoin stories, while the ECB identified bitcoin as a "potential threat" as early as last fall.

I think the Chinese govt. just woke up to Bitcoin precisely because it's a threat to the reputations of the ECB and the Federal Reserve.
BitshireHashaway

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
May 11, 2013, 05:05:33 PM

Finally some sanity is introduced.

Sometimes, I really feel like now that the mainstream is showing up in the bitcoinosphere the level of intelligent, rational debate is being diluted to worthlessness and we are descending back into the screeching madness of the mob associated with fiat monies ...  Undecided

+1

I agree that sometimes the bitcoinosphere's level of intelligence can drop but I mainly think that is due to all the newcomers who don't really know what's going on. Though, with that being said, it is always a great thing when some sanity is introduced.
cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
May 11, 2013, 05:32:43 PM

Begs the question why state-controlled media in China is running largely positive bitcoin stories, while the ECB identified bitcoin as a "potential threat" as early as last fall.

I think the Chinese govt. just woke up to Bitcoin precisely because it's a threat to the reputations of the ECB and the Federal Reserve.

if true, this could be an extraordinary event.
Severian

View Profile
May 12, 2013, 05:46:04 AM

I sometimes wonder if Bitcoin's creator was Chinese. It makes as much sense as anything as this unfolds.
Dusty

Activity: 731
Merit: 503

Libertas a calumnia

View Profile WWW
May 12, 2013, 09:25:23 PM

I sometimes wonder if Bitcoin's creator was Chinese. It makes as much sense as anything as this unfolds.

Taken from here:
In total, China owns about 8 percent of publicly held U.S. debt. Of all the holders of U.S. debt China is the third-largest, behind only the Social Security Trust Fund's holdings of nearly $3 trillion and the Federal Reserve's nearly $2 trillion holdings in Treasury investments, purchased as part of its quantitative easing program to boost the economy.

So, if really China wants to hurt USA and it has just to dump his trillions, and that could trash the dollar overnight.

Articoli bitcoin: Il portico dipinto
cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
May 12, 2013, 11:21:17 PM

Taken from here:
In total, China owns about 8 percent of publicly held U.S. debt. Of all the holders of U.S. debt China is the third-largest, behind only the Social Security Trust Fund's holdings of nearly $3 trillion and the Federal Reserve's nearly $2 trillion holdings in Treasury investments, purchased as part of its quantitative easing program to boost the economy.

So, if really China wants to hurt USA and it has just to dump his trillions, and that could trash the dollar overnight.

Yes, but that would be a severe form of self immolation.

They've actually stopped buying us treasuries which might be considered step one.

Step two  would be to slowly sell them off as might be starting to occur now according to Bill Gross, while at the same time pursuing the dual strategy of gold and Bitcoin accumulation.
BitshireHashaway

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
May 13, 2013, 05:26:05 AM

Definitely one of the better articles that I have seen about bitcoins. I actually believe that this is what bitcoins are doing and I find this to be a good thing.
Dusty

Activity: 731
Merit: 503

Libertas a calumnia

View Profile WWW
May 13, 2013, 08:14:55 PM

Step two  would be to slowly sell them off as might be starting to occur now according to Bill Gross, while at the same time pursuing the dual strategy of gold and Bitcoin accumulation.

I'm not sure I understand this logic, can you please elaborate?

This is my reasoning, please point me the flaws:

case 1) China is holding trillions of dollars: if it sells them they become less valuable and conversely the Yen appreciates. When they have sold all of them they have a reserve of strong currency and no reserve of unuseful dollars

case 2) China buys bitcoins and/or gold so that the game of (gold) price suppression come to an end. PM and Bitcoin values soars, the dollar crashes. China is left with trillion of worthless dollars.

Why case #2 should be better than #1?

Articoli bitcoin: Il portico dipinto
zakalwe

Activity: 445
Merit: 251

View Profile
May 13, 2013, 10:48:42 PM

Nice One, I would like to read this kind of writing more largely on the press
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
May 13, 2013, 10:55:59 PM

case 2) China buys bitcoins and/or gold so that the game of (gold) price suppression come to an end. PM and Bitcoin values soars, the dollar crashes. China is left with trillion of worthless dollars.

Several reasons, actually.

1) Dumping shows China's hand completely.  There is value to keeping the opposition in the dark for as long as possible.  In politics, he who is most upfront about his stragedy usually fails.

2) Dumping also would cause price shocks in both the gold markets and bitcoin markets, and thus China is unlikely to get as much for their dollars in the long run.

3) A controlled release also grants the opprotunity to reverse course, if conditions change dramaticly.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
May 13, 2013, 11:01:41 PM

I'm not sure I understand this logic, can you please elaborate?

This is my reasoning, please point me the flaws:

case 1) China is holding trillions of dollars: if it sells them they become less valuable and conversely the Yen appreciates. When they have sold all of them they have a reserve of strong currency and no reserve of unuseful dollars

most of china's usd have been recycled back to the usa and converted into ust's:  http://www.treasury.gov/resource-center/data-chart-center/tic/Documents/mfh.txt

any hint of a selloff on their part would cause interest rates to spike and they could suffer severe losses on their remaining portfolio.  we know they've already stopped buying to a significant degree. 

if they want to decrease their exposure and undermine the USD world reserve currency status, as it seems they would very much like to do, the 2 pronged attack i outlined above would make sense. 

1.  sell ust's slowly.
2.  accumulate gold and Bitcoin.

we have hints that this is exactly what they are doing.
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
May 13, 2013, 11:14:40 PM

There is also the internal economic problems that China must contend with.  The US is a large part of their manufacturing demands, and thus drives a large part of the employment prospects of their rising middle class.  Dumping their accumulations of US dollars would be almost as bad for their own economy as declaring war upon the US or a protectorate/trade ally (think Japan, South Korea or Singapore).  Their orders from the US would end almost immediately, and many current orders would be cancelled.  Their manufacturing economy would crash, layoffs would insue, followed by civil unrest in a culture not known for giving their leadership a pass when their quality of life suffers.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: