Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 10:56:51 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How is the price determined for a decentralized currency like bitcoin?  (Read 864 times)
Myropola

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 14, 2017, 06:22:11 PM

For such decentralised crypto-currencies, the price you see on exchange is how much people are ready to pay for it. Lots of people actually want to buy bitcoins at the same time, so they make the price increase, because they can pay higher than current price, and sellers profit from this by increasing the price at which they sell their bitcoins.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
garmerys

Activity: 216
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 28, 2017, 07:02:52 AM

The price of the currency is determined by the laws of demand and supply, since there is no central bank to direct the affairs, it is determined mainly by these laws the higher the demand and the lower the supply then the higher the price and vice versa
Carlsen

Activity: 910
Merit: 501

View Profile
August 28, 2017, 07:13:37 AM

The price is calculated on every exchange seperatly.
You have some people who want to buy, and some people who want to sell.
When you find somebody who accepts your offer, or you accept the offer of somebody else, the deal is done.
And that is the price for the moment then.
I guess the price you see at coinmarketcap is an average price of the main exchanges.
If you look at the market closely, you will see that every exchange has a slightly different price.

It's me!!!
Babyrica0226

Activity: 854
Merit: 252

View Profile
August 28, 2017, 01:18:03 PM

It is difficult to reach an answer that does not lead to a simple balance of supply and demand, and I think there is not much mystery. Price is what people pay for it. Unless you choose to believe that the price is controlled by manipulators and trading bots.
Now that’s where most of the people get it wrong. People say that only Bitcoin is volatile, forgetting that whatever that is called currency is volatile being compared to a different currency. Take for example, the USD and Euro, when being monitored, you will notice that sometimes the rate for dollars increases, and sometimes it goes down, so tell me why dollar is not volatile.

Everything called currency is volatile, whether you believe or not. Now for how the price of Bitcoin is determined: I think how it is determined is by calculated how much that is being invested into it. The same policy that is being used for fiat is also used for Bitcoin.

I will Support you on this things Sir to your statement. I agreed that all physical money are volatile because our currency here in my country sometimes falling then recover again this was happened depending on the value of dollar. But it is not that past as bitcoin does have. Because bitcoin volatility as we all know was very aggressive depending in the demand of the community and investors as well. Only there differences was physical money is centralized and bitcoin is decentralized.
Oilacris

Activity: 3010
Merit: 611

Crypto Swap Exchange

View Profile
August 28, 2017, 01:36:54 PM

It is difficult to reach an answer that does not lead to a simple balance of supply and demand, and I think there is not much mystery. Price is what people pay for it. Unless you choose to believe that the price is controlled by manipulators and trading bots.
Now that’s where most of the people get it wrong. People say that only Bitcoin is volatile, forgetting that whatever that is called currency is volatile being compared to a different currency. Take for example, the USD and Euro, when being monitored, you will notice that sometimes the rate for dollars increases, and sometimes it goes down, so tell me why dollar is not volatile.

Everything called currency is volatile, whether you believe or not. Now for how the price of Bitcoin is determined: I think how it is determined is by calculated how much that is being invested into it. The same policy that is being used for fiat is also used for Bitcoin.

I will Support you on this things Sir to your statement. I agreed that all physical money are volatile because our currency here in my country sometimes falling then recover again this was happened depending on the value of dollar. But it is not that past as bitcoin does have. Because bitcoin volatility as we all know was very aggressive depending in the demand of the community and investors as well. Only there differences was physical money is centralized and bitcoin is decentralized.
If you do see on forex trading you would really see the currencies do really move its price every second which it means its volatile but on the range or level of its volatility isnt really the same into bitcoin which means its less risky on trading it but more complicated since i have experience on trading forex. Going back into the question price is determined of bitcoin depending on its demand its just simply an economic subject.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
iyan33

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 28, 2017, 04:37:01 PM

I agree with you because bitcoin as a decentralized currency of course rises and falls in price depending on the high or low demand in the market against bitcoin, the high demand from sales that result in rising bitcoin price increases. In addition the higher the sales transaction would have an impact on decline the price of bitcoin.
cellard
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1250

View Profile
August 28, 2017, 06:19:11 PM

How is the price determined for a decentralized currency like bitcoin?

So far, I have got mixed responses from elsewhere including theoretical explanations of supply/ demand, trading bots and on similar lines. But, no answer in simple enough language and with authority that explains the price (thus the volatility) of the cryptocurrencies.
well price of bitcoin is not that different from price of anything else. it is being determined based on supply and demand.
if someone has already explained it to you i really can't put it in any other words to make it better.
but maybe these links can help more: http://www.investopedia.com/university/economics/economics3.asp
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supply_and_demand

usually for supply and demand i see people use the example of winter cloths. in summer time nobody buys winter clothing so the demand goes down and you may find them under their real price. and in winter everyone wants to buy them so the demand goes up and as a result the prices can go higher too.

Is this somewhere in the code that takes some input parameters to deterministically reach a price, maybe based on the hashing power, difficulty level etc? Or is it more complex? Can someone please explain the inner workings? My curiosity is only to understand the correlation between cryptocurrencies and the Economics in the absence of a centralized governing/ intervening body.
No.
being centralized or not has nothing to do with the price. the centralized government doesn't set the price of everything. and even if they do they still do it based on supply and demand.

for example in the winter clothes example, there is no centralized authority setting the price of a winter hat for example. the shops or the business owners decide that this year they can sell hats at $X higher than last year based on weather being colder and the demand being higher

Furthermore, how do different exchanges reach on the consensus for a price? Is it their own algos determining the price on the fly or is it more like a moderator picking on price with a predetermined fluctuation? Or is it more like how remitters reach to a daily price which is close enough to each other (to allure genuine customers, but not as much for an arbitrage)?
no it is how the market will work. the exchanges don't sell bitcoin, the exchanges are just platforms that allow people selling and buying bitcoin to meet each other. and if people on one exchange decide to sell their coins the price goes lower and if they decide to buy more than other places the price goes higher. and if the difference becomes big enough to become profitable then people from other places will come to the exchange with different price and make trades in a way to balance things out.

for example if the price is lower on bitstamp like be $2000 people can go there and buy cheap coins until it comes back up to $2500 like other exchanges.
or if it is higher like $3000 they can go there and sell their coins until it comes down to $2500 like other places.

but it usually doesn't come to that point. if price goes to $2400 for example there will be more incentive by the same people on bitstamp to buy more until it comes up. or the same if it goes to $2600
the difference that you sometimes see is because some exchanges have trouble with deposits or withdrawals or have higher fees that leads to that incentive to trade there to be less.

I guess, I should move this to Economics section. How can I move this topic there without deleting the OP? I even tried deleting this post to create a new post in Economics section but this forum does not let me delete my own post. So, am stuck. Any suggestion?
there is a button at the bottom left side of the page called "move topic"

The price is established by simple supply and demand that happens on markets that have enough liquidity to deliver price discovery.

The irony and also problem is that the price is established in centralized exchanges, so for a decentralized currency to exist, right now it depends on centralized exchanges to get a nice volume and constant price discovery. We must get to that and fix it. There are currenlty proposals for decentralized exchanges, but none of them deliver the fast velocity needed for proper substitution of centralized exchanges.

Hopefully with lightning network we can get instant buy/set orders set and fast price discovery but with a clever decentralized website-based solution with payment channels and whatnot.

Blocknet got some decentralized transactions happening but they aren't viable to replace the centralized exchanges because it's not web based.
doomloop

Activity: 2268
Merit: 581

View Profile
August 29, 2017, 05:21:05 PM

The price of the currency is determined by the laws of demand and supply, since there is no central bank to direct the affairs, it is determined mainly by these laws the higher the demand and the lower the supply then the higher the price and vice versa
the price for this decentralization is determined as the people use to pay for. The price and the value of the bitcoin are increasing and a lot of people are interested in buying bitcoin and it is making the price of the bitcoin more and higher. People are paying more than before and it is just because of the high price determination.

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: