Bitcoin Forum
May 01, 2024, 09:39:47 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: I understand open source software. Do you?  (Read 661 times)
infoporter (OP)

Activity: 124
Merit: 100

Hardhat Required in This Area

View Profile WWW
May 10, 2013, 06:27:08 AM

All you people who are forking Bitcoin, Litecoin, PPCoin, etc... are not helping a thing for this "experiment" to succeed. I actually make my living developing open source software, but I sure as hell do not think that our community will survive with it's current mentality. Forking software is considered a kick in the face. CONTRIBUTE to the original project if you have ideas and code that you can write to make a better software.

We should be trying to preserve Bitcoin and legitimate alternative currencies that offer significant differences, such as Litecoin, PPCoin, and some others. The recent influx of "alt coins" is hindering the advancement of Bitcoin, and successful alternatives that have been around for YEARS already. Most of the current "alt coins" are Pump and Dump scams as far as I can tell. Most have been pre-mined, or are ready, set, to go mined by the developers and friends and then sold on the forum here or given away.

Yeah, it may be fun, and profitable, to pump and dump some new coin for a profit, but think of what you are doing to the cryptocurrency movement by making a bunch of coins that fail. We should be concentrating on the prize, a cryptocurrency that has everything a real currency has, but better. We are instead allowing possibly talented developers to wallow in their own "new coin", which is not helping the movement as a whole at all. If you know how to code, contribute to the main project, or create a coin that matters a fuck.

Until something seriously innovative comes around, Bitcoin and Litecoin are here to stay. The rest of these "alt coins" are fly-by-night operations looking to pump and dump on noobs. BEWARE!

Vircurvault - The Heavy Duty Virtual Currency Paper Wallet (It floats!)
Coin Foreman | Virtual Currency Exchange | Reliable VPS Hosting | Domain Names for BTC

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
infoporter (OP)

View Profile WWW
May 10, 2013, 06:36:16 AM

For those who need a clue, THIS is the SOURCE CODE for Bitcoin. https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin

It can be easily forked (as we have seen), BUT if you contributed useful code to the project, Gavin might accept your pull request. Then you are a Bitcoin Rockstar! Right? Who knows!?!? If you have the skills, why waste them on an "alt coin". Help the main Bitcoin project, or alternative coin projects that have been out for a while.

Thanks!

An Open Source Software Contributor

Coin Foreman | Virtual Currency Exchange | Reliable VPS Hosting | Domain Names for BTC
GSnak

Activity: 182

View Profile
May 10, 2013, 06:38:20 AM

After the raving success of FTC and CNC on BTCe, I think the zero improvement alt-coin fad will wear off in short order.
mr_right

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 10, 2013, 06:41:16 AM

i welcome alt-coin. i don't want to be stuck with a $4/day profit mining bitcoin. even the scammers got the lion share the crumbs are more than $4.
infoporter (OP)

View Profile WWW
May 10, 2013, 06:42:34 AM

After the raving success of FTC and CNC on BTCe, I think the zero improvement alt-coin fad will wear off in short order.

One would hope.

Eli0t

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 10, 2013, 04:35:32 PM

totally agree with OP, having too many coins with 0 improvement is like having one country with 20 currencies

LTC:  LKpJf3uk7KsHU73kxq8iFJrP1AAKN7Yni7  DGC:  DKXGvEbj3Rwgrm2QQbRyNPDDZDYoq4Y44d  XPM:  AWV5AKfLFyoBaMjg9C77rGUBhuFxz5DGGL
mkmen

Activity: 157

View Profile
May 10, 2013, 04:55:43 PM

I kind of agree (beacuse of all the useless copies), on the other hand, there are new ideas that can't be just added to existing blockchain so creating new one is the only option.
FTC, CNC and alike are ofcourse not one of them.
AzureEngineer

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 10, 2013, 04:58:27 PM

If the market wants altcoins, it will get altcoins. As soon as altcoins stop making money, no one will use them. As of right now altcoins continue to make money rather easily.

My name was simply a play on "Blue Engineer" from Team Fortress. I am not affiliated with Microsoft or the Azure project.
digitalindustry

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

‘Try to be nice’

View Profile WWW
May 10, 2013, 04:59:22 PM

For those who need a clue, THIS is the SOURCE CODE for Bitcoin. https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin

It can be easily forked (as we have seen), BUT if you contributed useful code to the project, Gavin might accept your pull request. Then you are a Bitcoin Rockstar! Right? Who knows!?!? If you have the skills, why waste them on an "alt coin". Help the main Bitcoin project, or alternative coin projects that have been out for a while.

Thanks!

An Open Source Software Contributor

hey mate exactly what i'm trying to do , with you nice people - connect the dots,  head on over to my NVC Pow + PoS  +  mini Blockchain idea, you might be able to contribute !  the YOU will be my rockstar !  and just think you will have contributed to the next phase of development .

people will approach you  on the street and randomly lick your face.  

young girls in tight T-shirt will want to hug you.

as you walk by men that are concreting that new section of walkway down the street, they will quietly mention to the foreman-  "that guy wears a nice cologne " .

- Twitter @Kolin_Quark
bitdwarf

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

The cryptocoin watcher

View Profile
May 10, 2013, 05:00:47 PM

YAC is using a different Scrypt algo and N retargeting, and it's re-exploring CPU mining. Whether it'll succeed or not, there's going to be interesting stuff to learn from it.

... and it also made a lot of people install Linux. Grin

𝖄𝖆𝖈: YF3feU4PNLHrjwa1zV63BcCdWVk5z6DAh5 · 𝕭𝖙𝖈: 12F78M4oaNmyGE5C25ZixarG2Nk6UBEqme
Ɏ: "the altcoin for the everyman, where the sweat on one's brow can be used to cool one's overheating CPU" -- theprofileth
Joe_Bauers

Activity: 802
Merit: 1003

GCVMMWH

View Profile
May 10, 2013, 05:01:44 PM

All you people who are forking Bitcoin, Litecoin, PPCoin, etc... are not helping a thing for this "experiment" to succeed. I actually make my living developing open source software, but I sure as hell do not think that our community will survive with it's current mentality. Forking software is considered a kick in the face. CONTRIBUTE to the original project if you have ideas and code that you can write to make a better software.

We should be trying to preserve Bitcoin and legitimate alternative currencies that offer significant differences, such as Litecoin, PPCoin, and some others. The recent influx of "alt coins" is hindering the advancement of Bitcoin, and successful alternatives that have been around for YEARS already. Most of the current "alt coins" are Pump and Dump scams as far as I can tell. Most have been pre-mined, or are ready, set, to go mined by the developers and friends and then sold on the forum here or given away.

Yeah, it may be fun, and profitable, to pump and dump some new coin for a profit, but think of what you are doing to the cryptocurrency movement by making a bunch of coins that fail. We should be concentrating on the prize, a cryptocurrency that has everything a real currency has, but better. We are instead allowing possibly talented developers to wallow in their own "new coin", which is not helping the movement as a whole at all. If you know how to code, contribute to the main project, or create a coin that matters a fuck.

Until something seriously innovative comes around, Bitcoin and Litecoin are here to stay. The rest of these "alt coins" are fly-by-night operations looking to pump and dump on noobs. BEWARE!

+=1
debianlinux

Activity: 221

View Profile
May 10, 2013, 05:08:47 PM

You may claim to understand FOSS but apparently you missed the class on free markets.
qxzn

Activity: 609
Merit: 505

View Profile
May 10, 2013, 06:01:25 PM

I kind of agree (beacuse of all the useless copies), on the other hand, there are new ideas that can't be just added to existing blockchain so creating new one is the only option.
FTC, CNC and alike are ofcourse not one of them.

This. The bitcoin devs aren't going to accept ye-random crazy idea into the source code. Want to try a pure-proof-of-stake coin, or an inflationary coin, and see how it fares in the market? Only one way to do it..
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: