Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 01:10:39 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Why Is There Such Desperation To Earn Bitcoins?  (Read 1745 times)
bitcola (OP)

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 06:25:27 PM

I see a lot of desperation to earn bitcoins here.

• Begging
  • Offering services for a low price

Why?

Just because you want bitcoins doesn't mean you should sell yourself short.

It would probably be easier for many to earn in USD and then convert to BTC instead of working twice as hard to get the same amount of BTC.

Just a thought. If you're offering services, don't lowball yourself.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Carnth

Activity: 634
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 06:42:49 PM

I don't think its "desperation." I think most people are just curious.
Bitcoin has been given a lot more media attention recently. I think most people just want to see what it's about (me included).

It would probably be easier for many to earn in USD and then convert to BTC instead of working twice as hard to get the same amount of BTC.
This is true. If you have a trading account already set up and already funded, this would work well for most people (and it does).
If you don't have a funded account it can take days to weeks before you even have the chance to buy a Bitcoin with your local currency.

Selling a service or good may be faster than getting set up on an exchange.

Just my two Bitcents.
anodyne

Activity: 518

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 06:49:07 PM

Here's some words from Steve Jobs, about working with Paul Rand on the NeXT logo:

I asked him if he would come up with a few options. And he said, “No. I will solve your problem for you. And you will pay me. And you don’t have to use the solution. If you want options, go talk to other people. But I’ll solve your problem for you the best way I know how. And you use it or not. That’s up to you. You’re the client. But you pay me.” And there was a clarity about the relationship that was refreshing.

I'm more into "fine" art, but I occasionally do creative work for hire, and I'm dismayed about all the people who work for nearly nothing or send work to design competitions. People need to get an appreciation for that their time should be worth, be it for traditional money or for bitcoins.

Bitcoins: solid enough to build pyramids.
BecomingPhill

Activity: 140

BTC in Namibia

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2011, 11:58:27 PM

hmm

19YMKfUYc9S2orgBvp3LaHRbBJ5wNQENK1
TiagoTiago

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

Firstbits.com/1fg4i :)

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 12:11:34 AM

At least for me, Bitcoin feels fresher and easier than physical cash, and also it feels like it's worth much more 'cause it grow in value; going for physical cash first feels kinda less efficient in comparison

(I dont always get new reply notifications, pls send a pm when you think it has happened)

Wanna gimme some BTC/BCH for any or no reason? 1FmvtS66LFh6ycrXDwKRQTexGJw4UWiqDX Smiley

The more you believe in Bitcoin, and the more you show you do to other people, the faster the real value will soar!

Do you like mmmBananas?!
Joscience

Activity: 26
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 02:17:25 AM

Spamming your friends on Facebook to earn 0.1BTC seems just as desperate as anything else I've seen...

The non-snarky answer is that I really think it boils down to participation.  Bitcoin is new, interesting, and for better or worse, a little "trendy."  Being part of the Bitcoin economy is worth a discount to these people who are offering their services at what seem to be too-low prices.  Add to that a sense of "investment," and I am confident all these people feel they are being fairly compensated.  I don't honestly think your offer to post someone's website address on your Facebook in exchange for Bitcoins is desperate.  I *do* think it is an easy way to maybe get a few Bitcoin without having to go through the hassle of setting up an exchange account or taking the risk of sending someone dollars for Bitcoin. I agree with other people who feel it is more unbridled enthusiasm than desperation.  Maybe their posts are a little melodramatic, but they just want to be part of the community! 

As to the begging, well, yeah, that gets old:
http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/9095/southparknightoftheliviha5.jpg
Spare some change?
Electrongolf

Activity: 139

What's Your Gig?

View Profile WWW
June 21, 2011, 02:49:14 AM

• Begging
  • Offering services for a low price

It's probably because people think it's a cool idea. Human beings like to be a part of stuff. It's fun.

It depends on what you consider selling yourself short. Being part of the movement is incentive enough for people to participate. I doubt anyone is expecting to make a living off BTC at this point.

Not everyone is participating in BTC for the sole purpose of making money. Some people look at BTC as a viable currency. They want to experiment with the idea. If BTC is ever going to take off, we need people to sacrifice a little to further the goal.

Just a thought. If you're offering services, don't lowball yourself.

I agree with this. But you have to consider what YOU think the value of services are. Profit isn't neccesarily the goal with everyone. Merchants  in the market are performing the job of legitimizing the currency. This may be more important to some than making a fast buck.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: