Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 06:12:20 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Electrical Setup advice for farm at home.  (Read 1109 times)
juvx (OP)

Activity: 38
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 10, 2017, 06:56:24 PM

I would really appreciate some advice on setting up a small farm on the third floor of my house.

First off, I need to mention that I live in the US, Texas to be exact.

I'm planning on running 50-100 antminers L3+ on the third floor of my house, it’s a pretty big space with AC that never gets used and has no furniture and away from everything so that the noise wouldn’t matter. My issue is how do I run that amount of power up there? That’s approx 44-88 kw of constant power. Probably would try for 100 kw capacity for future expansion.

I would obviously call an pro to setup the wiring and  boxed but any advice on what the best setup would be? Any idea on the cost of bringing in so much power? Should I ask for 220v connection? Any idea what it would cost me?
What server PDUs would I need?

I’m totally clueless when it comes to electrical so please treat me like 5 year old. haha

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
igrokvpoker

Activity: 173
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 10, 2017, 08:05:02 PM

What is the price of electricity in Texas?

BattleTitans.io  ▼  Mobile PvP Arena of the Future  ▼  BattleTitans.io
The Most Promising ICO in October    [Join Now!]

▼  [FB]  ▬  [TW]  ▬  [TG]  ▬▬▬  [YU]  ▼
juvx (OP)

View Profile
July 10, 2017, 08:29:55 PM

What is the price of electricity in Texas?

Very cheap mine is currently 0.05. But i use a lot.
VRobb

Activity: 1610
Merit: 538

I'm in BTC XTC

View Profile
July 11, 2017, 12:21:15 AM

That's all well and good, but this...: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=401897.0

I don't believe in superstition because it's bad luck: 13thF1oor6CAwyzyxXPNnRvu3nhhYeqZdc
These aren't the Droids you're looking for: S5 & S7 (Sold), R4B2, R4B4 (RIP), 2x S9 obsolete, 2xS15-28, S17-56, S17-70
Pushing a whopping 1/5 PH!  Oh The SPEED!!!
ttulong

Activity: 2

View Profile
July 11, 2017, 12:22:20 AM

which provider you have for 0.05/kw?
I just swapped to Reliant.com for .069 Sad a few days ago.
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
July 11, 2017, 12:22:37 AM

220 volt 500 amp service isn't exactly rare, should be about what you're looking for.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
veleten
Legendary

Activity: 2016
Merit: 1106

View Profile
July 11, 2017, 12:17:29 PM

I would really appreciate some advice on setting up a small farm on the third floor of my house.

First off, I need to mention that I live in the US, Texas to be exact.

I'm planning on running 50-100 antminers L3+ on the third floor of my house, it’s a pretty big space with AC that never gets used and has no furniture and away from everything so that the noise wouldn’t matter. My issue is how do I run that amount of power up there? That’s approx 44-88 kw of constant power. Probably would try for 100 kw capacity for future expansion.

I would obviously call an pro to setup the wiring and  boxed but any advice on what the best setup would be? Any idea on the cost of bringing in so much power? Should I ask for 220v connection? Any idea what it would cost me?
What server PDUs would I need?

I’m totally clueless when it comes to electrical so please treat me like 5 year old. haha

I would not worry about the power consumption that much,you will need to get a pro to get it done anyways
you could also go for a hydro plant in your yard if it is possible
the bigger problem would be cooling the miners,one ac will not cut it
also there is a high risk of the farm catching fire and burning your house down,so this is one more aspect to be looking at
calculate the amount of heat dissipated and then think about the proper cooling system

▄▄████▄▄
      ▄▄███▀    ▀███▄▄
   ▄████████▄▄▄▄████████▄
  ▀██████████████████████▀
▐█▄▄ ▀▀████▀    ▀████▀▀ ▄▄██
▐█████▄▄ ▀██▄▄▄▄██▀ ▄▄██▀  █
▐██ ▀████▄▄ ▀██▀ ▄▄████  ▄██
▐██  ███████▄  ▄████████████
▐██  █▌▐█ ▀██  ██████▀  ████
▐██  █▌▐█  ██  █████  ▄█████
 ███▄ ▌▐█  ██  ████████████▀
  ▀▀████▄ ▄██  ██▀  ████▀▀
      ▀▀█████  █  ▄██▀▀
         ▀▀██  ██▀▀
.WINDICE.████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
      ▄████████▀
     ▄████████
    ▄███████▀
   ▄███████▀
  ▄█████████████
 ▄████████████▀
▄███████████▀
     █████▀
    ████▀
   ████
  ███▀
 ██▀
█▀

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
     ▄▄█████▄   ▄▄▄▄
    ██████████▄███████▄
  ▄████████████████████▌
 ████████████████████████
▐████████████████████████▌
 ▀██████████████████████▀
     ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
     ▄█     ▄█     ▄█
   ▄██▌   ▄██▌   ▄██▌
   ▀▀▀    ▀▀▀    ▀▀▀
       ▄█     ▄█
     ▄██▌   ▄██▌
     ▀▀▀    ▀▀▀

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
                   ▄█▄
                 ▄█████▄
                █████████▄
       ▄       ██ ████████▌
     ▄███▄    ▐█▌▐█████████
   ▄███████▄   ██ ▀███████▀
 ▄███████████▄  ▀██▄▄████▀
▐█ ▄███████████    ▀▀▀▀
█ █████████████▌      ▄
█▄▀████████████▌    ▄███▄
▐█▄▀███████████    ▐█▐███▌
 ▀██▄▄▀▀█████▀      ▀█▄█▀
   ▀▀▀███▀▀▀
████
  ██
  ██
  ██
  ██
  ██
  ██
  ██
  ██
  ██
  ██
  ██
  ██
████

▄▄████████▄▄
▄████████████████▄
▄████████████████████▄
███████████████▀▀  █████
████████████▀▀      ██████
▐████████▀▀   ▄▄     ██████▌
▐████▀▀    ▄█▀▀     ███████▌
▐████████ █▀        ███████▌
████████ █ ▄███▄   ███████
████████████████▄▄██████
▀████████████████████▀
▀████████████████▀
▀▀████████▀▀
iePlay NoweiI
I
I
I
[/t
sidehack
Legendary

Activity: 3318
Merit: 1847

Curmudgeonly hardware guy

View Profile
July 11, 2017, 01:29:41 PM

Fire is definitely a risk. I took in five L3+ for hosting and within a week three of the PSU breakout boards (which are easily good for 1500W and I've literally never had an issue with them in two years) caught on fire. So be careful what PSUs you use.

Be prepared to spend a buttload of money, especially if you're not doing the work yourself. I revamped my hosting with 400A 3-phase service about a year and a half ago, had zero labor costs (did all the install myself) but just the material was around $5k. I guess that's not a lot to someone buying a hundred ridiculously overpriced miners, but still. Labor on top of that could easily be double the material cost depending what has to be done.

You'll also have to check with the utility provider whether or not the lines in your area can even support the addition of that much constant load.

Cool, quiet and up to 1TH pod miner, on sale now!
Currently in development - 200+GH USB stick; 6TH volt-adjustable S1/3/5 upgrade kit
Server PSU interface boards and cables. USB and small-scale miners. Hardware hosting, advice and odd-jobs. Supporting the home miner community since 2013 - http://www.gekkoscience.com
juvx (OP)

View Profile
July 11, 2017, 02:58:27 PM

Fire is definitely a risk. I took in five L3+ for hosting and within a week three of the PSU breakout boards (which are easily good for 1500W and I've literally never had an issue with them in two years) caught on fire. So be careful what PSUs you use.

Be prepared to spend a buttload of money, especially if you're not doing the work yourself. I revamped my hosting with 400A 3-phase service about a year and a half ago, had zero labor costs (did all the install myself) but just the material was around $5k. I guess that's not a lot to someone buying a hundred ridiculously overpriced miners, but still. Labor on top of that could easily be double the material cost depending what has to be done.

You'll also have to check with the utility provider whether or not the lines in your area can even support the addition of that much constant load.

Thats discouraging to hear about the boards, what PSUs do you recommend?

You i budgeted out about 10 to 15k for the power management alone. I'm still debating if i should just rent a warehouse near by. Its looking more an more like i might need to.

What qualifications would i need for looking for a space?  3 phase and 600a for future expansion?

I know cooling is a huge factor as well but thats a whole differant can of worms.
sidehack
Legendary

View Profile
July 11, 2017, 03:34:24 PM

For 100KW of gear you're gonna want provision for a lot of airflow. I have all my hosted miners ducted into around 18kcfm of fans and another 8kcfm or so for ambient heat leakage and it still gets pretty hot in here.

The L3+ that burned up I had running of DPS1200 server PSUs on my breakout boards. I think there's a bug in the L3+ that causes one board to suddenly pull an extra couple hundred watts, because the board damage seemed to be centered around one pair of cables. The boards were running cool and comfortable for several days before suddenly burning up. I've got many S9 and T9 miners on these boards on 1500W PSUs with zero issue so I know it's not an overall power draw problem.
The miners have since been moved to pairs of I think SeaSonic 850W PSUs. In the last month or two I've had three of them trip out a PSU and require a power cycle but nothing's burned up.

Currently in development - 200+GH USB stick; 6TH volt-adjustable S1/3/5 upgrade kit
Server PSU interface boards and cables. USB and small-scale miners. Hardware hosting, advice and odd-jobs. Supporting the home miner community since 2013 - http://www.gekkoscience.com
toptek
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 11, 2017, 05:12:11 PM
Last edit: July 11, 2017, 05:28:23 PM by toptek

You i budgeted out about 10 to 15k for the power management alone. I'm still debating if i should just rent a warehouse near by. Its looking more an more like i might need to.

What qualifications would i need for looking for a space?  3 phase and 600a for future expansion?

I know cooling is a huge factor as well but thats a whole differant can of worms.

Rent the ware house you might be better off .....There is a lot of work you may have to do to your home the ware house should all ready have, you may pay about the same ...and it's safer ......

For security, your account has been locked. Email acctcomp15@theymos.e4ward.com
juvx (OP)

View Profile
July 11, 2017, 05:52:03 PM

What qualifications would i need for looking for a space?  3 phase and 600a for future expansion?

Rent the ware house you might be better off .....There is a lot of work you may have to do to your home the ware house should all ready have, you may pay about the same ...and it's safer ......

yeah im leaning that way. Just need to find one. My issue with ware houses is that they are all huge here in texas.. way way bigger than the space I need for 3 shelving units. I guess it can help with airflow and i can expand in the future easily.
B1tUnl0ck3r

Activity: 854
Merit: 277

liife threw a tempest at you? be a coconut !

View Profile
July 11, 2017, 08:09:04 PM

Warehouse.

few are mentioning the Electromagnetic fields

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_fields#Health_and_safety

I don't know it those miners are shielded?

When the people of the world will get that covid was intentionally released to frame china, steal the election from trump, assure massive bail outs and foster the forced vaccination agendas...they will forget, like 911, wmds in irak, uss liberty or pedogate.
QuintLeo
Legendary

View Profile
July 12, 2017, 05:39:38 PM

L3+ are almost totally enclosed, but I'm pretty sure they still would fall under the Business-class FCC EM radiation rules (which are less stringent than the home rules).

Look up "Faraday shield" sometime.

As far as power to a warehouse - 3 phase normally doesn't get used 'till you're quite a bit over 100 kw - I think the SMALLEST 3-phase service I've ever seen was 480v 300 amp (which works out to be over 140kw PER PHASE and over 400kw total service) though I have vague recollection of a co-worker talking about a 200 amp 3-phase setup he helped install MANY years ago.

Cooling is going to be an issue - even a big CENTRAL A/C isn't going to keep that many miners cool.

Central A/C is usually rated in "tons" for historical reasons (appx. heat value one ton of ice melting is the origin of the term) - a "ton" is 6000 BTU/hour, 2000 watts generates a bit MORE than 6000 BTU/hour and it's rare for a HOME central A/C to be rated much more than 6 tons - or about the heat generation of 12 KW which is somewhat less than 10 S9 units use.

Most folks either use lots of airflow and tolerate running their miners at ambient temp or a bit more, or use lots of airflow with evap cooling (which DOES work fairly well in some parts of Texas).

Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
juvx (OP)

View Profile
July 13, 2017, 02:44:55 PM

L3+ are almost totally enclosed, but I'm pretty sure they still would fall under the Business-class FCC EM radiation rules (which are less stringent than the home rules).

Look up "Faraday shield" sometime.

As far as power to a warehouse - 3 phase normally doesn't get used 'till you're quite a bit over 100 kw - I think the SMALLEST 3-phase service I've ever seen was 480v 300 amp (which works out to be over 140kw PER PHASE and over 400kw total service) though I have vague recollection of a co-worker talking about a 200 amp 3-phase setup he helped install MANY years ago.

Cooling is going to be an issue - even a big CENTRAL A/C isn't going to keep that many miners cool.

Central A/C is usually rated in "tons" for historical reasons (appx. heat value one ton of ice melting is the origin of the term) - a "ton" is 6000 BTU/hour, 2000 watts generates a bit MORE than 6000 BTU/hour and it's rare for a HOME central A/C to be rated much more than 6 tons - or about the heat generation of 12 KW which is somewhat less than 10 S9 units use.

Most folks either use lots of airflow and tolerate running their miners at ambient temp or a bit more, or use lots of airflow with evap cooling (which DOES work fairly well in some parts of Texas).

Great info, thanks !
I'm defintly getting a warehouse. Its much much bigger than i need but will have room to expand. It comes with 460amp 3-phase power so i should be good to go.
NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

Activity: 3612
Merit: 2506

Evil beware: We have waffles!

View Profile
July 13, 2017, 03:31:04 PM
Last edit: July 14, 2017, 02:43:39 AM by NotFuzzyWarm

Great info, thanks !
I'm defintly getting a warehouse. Its much much bigger than i need but will have room to expand. It comes with 460amp 3-phase power so i should be good to go.
Last niggle points: The 3-phase is 208/240VAC right? Odds are it is. Then remains the phase power setup: Is it Delta w/Wild leg or is it true 3-phase Wye (star)? Ref https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-leg_delta

If it is 480V (which WILL be Wye format) can still be used but breakers will be setup differently because instead of getting power from leg-to-leg (phases) which is the full 480V you would need power from each leg to neutral to get 240V 277VAC.

- For bitcoin to succeed the community must police itself -    My info useful? Donations welcome! 1FuzzyWc2J8TMqeUQZ8yjE43Rwr7K3cxs9
 -Sole remaining active developer of cgminer, Kano's repo is here
-Support Sidehacks miner development. Donations to:   1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
QuintLeo
Legendary

View Profile
July 13, 2017, 09:19:35 PM

3 phase 240 volt exists - but is bloody RARE, at least in the US.

3 phase in the US *normally* starts at 480 volts, can be Wye OR Delta depending on the power company and what you ask for but IME is *usually* Wye.

Trying to split it down to 220 without a transformer comes under the "VERY VERY BAD IDEA" concept as it's not DESIGNED as split-phase like normal 220 service is.

460 amp 3-phase supply should give you a TON of "capacity to grow into" - if you can get enough airflow through the place to manage the heat generation.

sidehack
Legendary

View Profile
July 13, 2017, 09:33:28 PM

Actually, if you're 480V line-line, your line-neutral is 277V.

My shop was wired for 208V line-line three-phase wye, so 120V line-neutral.

I'm pulling 350A per leg into my hosting room and run 100KW of miners without any trouble - except cooling. Lot of heat, especially in July when the air's already 95 degrees.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: