Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 08:07:43 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone ever see something like this before? Malicious XCP private key.  (Read 536 times)
TCortese (OP)

Activity: 21
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 07, 2017, 07:40:55 PM

I was having some issues sweeping coins from my counterwallet and while searching for help I found a topic by someone who was having the same issue. The guy acted like he didn't know what he was doing and put both his public and private keys in the post. Checking out the wallet showed it contained 7.4 XCP and 1,000,000 egold (now defunct). The post was several years old and so I assumed it was forgotten about and tried to sweep the XCP (hey, it was just sitting there all those years...). I sent the BTC required for the transfer and as soon as the deposit was confirmed, the BTC was taken out. I tried once more before realizing what was going on. Instant karma. That's what I get for trying to steal somebody's 7.4 XCP.

It's clever. What is it just a script that checks for incoming BTC and takes it before it can be used by counterwallet? (I know nothing about programming)

I'm wondering if this only a new concept to me. I've only been crypto for a bit over a year. Have these been around? I can post the keys if anyone is curious - I didn't know if it would be against the rules to do so.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
sinner

Activity: 615
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 07, 2017, 08:39:35 PM

how much did you lose?
TCortese (OP)

View Profile
September 08, 2017, 12:31:34 AM

Lol, <.001. I'll pay that simply for the entertainment value. It's cool, right?
VackFromOhm

Activity: 234
Merit: 100

It's turtles all the way down!

View Profile
September 08, 2017, 12:40:23 AM

I'm confused - you find a random private key on the internet and decide to send btc to the wallet? I thought that with the private key you can just load up a new wallet, input the private key, and now you can sign transactions for that wallet and send the transactions to the blockchain. What do you get out of sending the btc to the wallet, or am I being dumb and what you did made sense?
HashFace

Activity: 406
Merit: 114

View Profile
September 08, 2017, 01:38:22 AM

Some coins require you to pay the transfer fee in BTC ... Counterparty coins, I beleive they are called.  It's a pretty clever scam that guy is running. 
TCortese (OP)

View Profile
September 08, 2017, 04:39:12 AM

I'm confused - you find a random private key on the internet and decide to send btc to the wallet? I thought that with the private key you can just load up a new wallet, input the private key, and now you can sign transactions for that wallet and send the transactions to the blockchain. What do you get out of sending the btc to the wallet, or am I being dumb and what you did made sense?

Counterparty and it's assets (SJCX, DTB, COVAL, PEPE, etc.) don't have their own unique blockchain, but rather embed data into Bitcoin's blockchain. They ride along BTC transactions if that helps. As a result, you send Counterparty assets to a BTC address, but in order to transfer them from the wallet you need some BTC in the wallet as well to cover the network fees. This wallet has XCP/EGOLD in it but no BTC, so in order to sweep the former you need to send a bit of the latter. You need .001224 BTC to remove both the EGOLD and XCP or .000356 BTC for only the XCP. You can also enter the private key of a Bitcoin address and attempt to sweep it that way, but I don't want to try it.

Here's the public key if you want to check out the contents at counterwallet.io: 1DxzwX4qC9PsWDSAzuWbJRzEwdGx3n9CJB.

It's a pretty brilliant way to scam small amounts of money off unsuspecting people. You really can't even be that mad at the guy who created it as you were trying to take the goods from a wallet that wasn't yours in the first place.
PokerDiceMan

Activity: 602
Merit: 501

Undeads.com - P2E Runner Game

View Profile
September 08, 2017, 05:40:41 AM

in xcp counterwallet not support only bitcoin but much coin
if impor addres use private key, sample to electrum or blockchain same you write, only bitcoin can load money,another coin can't load

💀|.
   ▄▄▄▄█▄▄              ▄▄█▀▀  ▄▄▄▄▄█      ▄▄    ▄█▄
  ▀▀▀████████▄  ▄██    ███▀ ▄████▀▀▀     ▄███   ▄███
    ███▀▄▄███▀ ███▀   ███▀  ▀█████▄     ▄███   ████▄
  ▄███████▀   ███   ▄███       ▀▀████▄▄███████████▀
▀▀███▀▀███    ███ ▄████       ▄▄████▀▀████   ▄███
 ██▀    ▀██▄  ██████▀▀   ▄▄█████▀▀   ███▀   ▄██▀
          ▀▀█  ▀▀▀▀ ▄██████▀▀       ███▀    █▀
                                      ▀
.PLAY2EARN.RUNNER.GAME.
||VIRAL
REF.SYSTEM
GAME
|
████████████████████████████
██████ ▄▀██████████  ███████
███████▄▀▄▀██████  █████████
█████████▄▀▄▀██  ███████████
███████████▄▀▄ █████████████
███████████  ▄▀▄▀███████████
█████████  ████▄▀▄▀█████████
███████  ████████▄▀ ████████
████████▀▀▄██████▄▀▀████████
███████  ▀        ▀  ███████
██████                ██████
█████▌   ███    ███   ▐█████
█████▌   ▀▀▀    ▀▀▀   ▐█████
██████                ██████
███████▄  ▀██████▀  ▄███████
VackFromOhm

Activity: 234

It's turtles all the way down!

View Profile
September 08, 2017, 07:18:47 AM

Counterparty and it's assets (SJCX, DTB, COVAL, PEPE, etc.) don't have their own unique blockchain, but rather embed data into Bitcoin's blockchain. They ride along BTC transactions if that helps. As a result, you send Counterparty assets to a BTC address, but in order to transfer them from the wallet you need some BTC in the wallet as well to cover the network fees. This wallet has XCP/EGOLD in it but no BTC, so in order to sweep the former you need to send a bit of the latter. You need .001224 BTC to remove both the EGOLD and XCP or .000356 BTC for only the XCP. You can also enter the private key of a Bitcoin address and attempt to sweep it that way, but I don't want to try it.

Here's the public key if you want to check out the contents at counterwallet.io: 1DxzwX4qC9PsWDSAzuWbJRzEwdGx3n9CJB.

It's a pretty brilliant way to scam small amounts of money off unsuspecting people. You really can't even be that mad at the guy who created it as you were trying to take the goods from a wallet that wasn't yours in the first place.

in xcp counterwallet not support only bitcoin but much coin
if impor addres use private key, sample to electrum or blockchain same you write, only bitcoin can load money,another coin can't load

I see, thanks for the responses! You learn something new every day. That's really clever for a scam, if that's really what's happening.
TCortese (OP)

View Profile
September 08, 2017, 08:27:32 PM

I see, thanks for the responses! You learn something new every day. That's really clever for a scam, if that's really what's happening.

Smiley

Here's some more info about counterparty and the go to wallet if your curious: https://counterparty.io/docs/faq-counterwallet/. Lots of good projects run on it, and, even though it's a smaller and less commonly used one, I've always felt that any platform that can run independent projects has a lot of room for growth.
amaclin1

Activity: 770
Merit: 305

View Profile
September 24, 2017, 07:01:35 PM

It's a pretty brilliant way
Thanks

Bitcoin SV GUI client for Windows and Linux
https://github.com/AlisterMaclin/bitcoin-sv/releases
dlorah111

Activity: 148

View Profile
September 24, 2017, 07:59:48 PM

I did the same yesterday after someone posting here that anyone can take them.
Also tried the import priv key for the transaction fees but same result. BTC get swiped before they have a chance to be shown on the balance.
must be some sort of script running. But I also saw that in total there was 0.05 BTC sent to the address.
So if he is running that wallet for years as a scam. It is not so lucrative.
dlorah111

Activity: 148

View Profile
September 24, 2017, 08:01:14 PM

Oh yes it was this guy who posted the thread about it. Now he has my Bitcoin if he owns the wallet it was send to that is.
amaclin1 is the scammer
amaclin1

Activity: 770
Merit: 305

View Profile
September 24, 2017, 08:49:18 PM

amaclin1 is the scammer
I did not ask you to send your funds to the address Smiley
You sent them on your own risk.
Why do you call me scammer?  Grin

Bitcoin SV GUI client for Windows and Linux
https://github.com/AlisterMaclin/bitcoin-sv/releases