Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 10:23:40 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: bitcoind issues - segmentation fault??  (Read 1384 times)
syriven (OP)

Activity: 31
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 11, 2013, 01:38:17 AM

Sorry if this is a stupid question! I can't find any help from google, and there's a good chance I got myself into this mess accidentally somehow.

A while ago, I got bitcoind running on my server. I happily used it for a while, writing simple php scripts to experiment and become familiar with its operation. This was all on testnet.

I recently decided I wanted to start bitcoind from scratch. It turns out that I only kind of know what I'm doing. I deleted everything in .bitcoin and put a fresh copy of bitcoind in there. For a while, when I tried to run it through using ssh, it would tell me something along the lines of "Error while loading shared libraries: [some library]". I'd copy/paste the exact text, but now it won't even give me that anymore. When I try to run it now, it just gives me a segmentation fault.

I'm not really sure what to do here. I'm not very familiar with Linux or ssh, and that could very well be how I got into this mess. Any help would be appreciated. If you guys need any more information, just ask me.

Thanks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
syriven (OP)

View Profile
May 13, 2013, 03:22:37 AM

Can no one point me in the right direction here?
tiktoc

Activity: 176
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 13, 2013, 12:01:29 PM

Try the first part of this tutorial, up to the bit where it says now for the pool software.
Also just run bitcoind without the testnet flag.

There is not much information in your post. What version of Linux? How did you build it? Why did you put bitcoind in the .bitcoin folder ?
syriven (OP)

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 12:00:31 AM

What tutorial are you referring to?

I'm using a bluehost server. I guess they use a somewhat heavily modified version of CentOS. Not sure if this helps, but phpinfo() gives the following information for "System": Linux box409.bluehost.com 2.6.32-20130307.60.9.bh6.x86_64 #1 SMP Thu Mar 7 15:58:33 EST 2013 x86_64

I didn't build bitcoind; I downloaded it from http://sourceforge.net/projects/bitcoin/files/Bitcoin/bitcoin-0.8.1/bitcoin-0.8.1-linux.tar.gz/download

I put bitcoind in the .bitcoin folder probably because I'm extremely unfamiliar with how to set up tools like this. No matter where I put it, though, I still get the segmentation fault now.

Edit: I meant to meantion: the testnet flag doesn't seem to have an effect either way.
tiktoc

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 12:25:34 AM

The tute is here thought I copied and pasted it woops. its for ubuntu though.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=162788.0

centos doesnt support bitcoind building out the box as the openssl version does not support elliptical curve encryption due to perceived legal issues.

you can get a pre built package for centos here
http://bitcoin.stackexchange.com/questions/10467/how-do-i-go-about-installing-a-bitcoin-daemon-in-centos-linux

not sure whether it is trustworthy or not?

or have a read here even though it outdatedd maybe search the forums a bit more.

also looks like the system your on is 64bit so you will need a 64bit version of bitcoind.

is this a shared vps or a private one ?
syriven (OP)

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 08:37:32 PM

I don't have root access on the server, so I can't use the rpm files from that link directly. Is there another way around that?

The other thing is that I got bitcoind to work before on this server, with almost no problems. I don't remember exactly what I did, but I'm pretty sure it was just putting the appropriate bitcoind file somewhere on the server and running it via ssh. Now when I do that it gives me a segmentation fault.
tiktoc

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 09:05:46 PM

Iam surprised they will let you run it on  a shared host.

Get a version built for centos 64bit with statically linked libraries  and run it from your home directory.

http://www.g-loaded.eu/2008/01/28/how-to-extract-rpm-or-deb-packages/

You should be able to extract the deb file and then untar the data files.

if you cant do it on the host do it in a virtual machine in virtualbox.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: