Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 11:52:00 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 38 39 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Why Ripple™ is against everything Bitcoin  (Read 45544 times)
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
May 20, 2013, 03:38:02 PM

From the Ripple FAQ:

When Ripple started there were 100 billion ripples in existence. This number is slowly decreasing because, as a security measure, each transaction destroys a tiny fraction of a ripple. Don’t worry — even with the whole world using Ripple, it will take thousands of years to destroy all the ripples. You can see the exact number of ripples at the Live Network Graph.

It's clear that cypherdoc doesn't have an open mind and is merely critically evaluating Ripple. He / she is deliberately campaigning against it.

you're an idiot.

i keep making hard factual critical arguments about the Ripple system and all you can do is come up with ad hominems.

there is a clear problem here that you should address.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
SamS

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 20, 2013, 03:39:26 PM

holding however billion they are holding onto as a company or private individuals should be a big concern to anyone wishing to adopt.

Just the opposite. I'm glad OpenCoin is holding a bunch of XRP, because if they do well then I'll do well (I own XRP as well). This aligns their interests with mine.

Refreshingly honest.   Grin

Bitcoin: 16i8sQWjZo3QPhhSfWupJff5PtwTxxpRJJ
Ripple:  rL7mRCDYBXsVSM2obdvEjwft5fPUmxv3ra
cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
May 20, 2013, 03:40:22 PM

Larson can't have it both ways.  if he allows XRP's to eventually all be destroyed, the system will fail.  if he changes the rules and allows more XRP's to be printed then effectively he is no better than the Fed.
they are caught in a contradiction.

Not really as with a minut amount destroyed it'd take thousands of years to fail. for making pure profit they'd need to create no more, doing so would never create a greater market cap...so it'd be pointless.

however holding however billion they are holding onto as a company or private individuals should be a big concern to anyone wishing to adopt.

you're not understanding the contradiction.

VC firms look to make fast profits of 10x-100x.  THAT is their business model.

their investors demand that they get that return and the only way they can make that happen is to have XRP value go up quickly.
mmeijeri

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

Martijn Meijering

View Profile
May 20, 2013, 03:42:04 PM

I just did. And calling out misbehaviour isn't ad hominem.

ROI is not a verb, the term you're looking for is 'to break even'.
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
May 20, 2013, 03:42:33 PM

holding however billion they are holding onto as a company or private individuals should be a big concern to anyone wishing to adopt.

Just the opposite. I'm glad OpenCoin is holding a bunch of XRP, because if they do well then I'll do well (I own XRP as well). This aligns their interests with mine.

Interests you both share is profiting off of suckers willing to buy into broken system.

That's pretty scummy to say that you are glad that if open coin does well you do well. What if their business model is immoral? You still support it?

You were the same guy spouting litecoin is a scam yet not single entity controls litecoin. This was when litecoins were 6 cents.  Cheesy

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

SamS

View Profile
May 20, 2013, 03:44:49 PM

Interests you both share is profiting off of suckers willing to buy into broken system.

That's pretty scummy to say that you are glad that if open coin does well you do well. What if their business model is immoral? You still support it?

You were the same guy spouting litecoin is a scam yet not single entity controls litecoin. This was when litecoins were 6 cents.  Cheesy

Indeed, but now there is that wonderful quote to post regarding intentions.

SGExodus

Activity: 232
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 20, 2013, 03:46:46 PM

however holding however billion they are holding onto as a company or private individuals should be a big concern to anyone wishing to adopt.

Perhaps, but the same is true of Satoshi's stash of BTC. Besides, how do you know Satoshi isn't behind Ripple too?

The different is that Satoshi mined the coin like the rest after he publicly announced the project.    He didn't magically get more coins than others.  Well, not 100 billion more.

cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
May 20, 2013, 03:47:21 PM

I just did. And calling out misbehaviour isn't ad hominem.

clearly you missed the Bitcoin runup.  probably b/c you never understood the fundamentals behind Bitcoin.  this would explain why you can't seem to understand my arguments.

for anyone interested in mmeijeri's first post here on the forum, just look at this to understand why he is a Ripple Evangelist:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=145506.msg1784651#msg1784651
Rampion
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1018

View Profile
May 20, 2013, 03:48:17 PM

Excuse me, but this is pure madness.

Right now XRP's are being traded at roughly 54 XRP per $1. That's crazy. I mean, 50K XRP where handed out to anybody asking, and many users bought forums accounts to obtain hundred of thousands of XRP's, if not millions.

Well, today the 50K XRP's given away to anybody who asked are worth roughly $1,000. Heck, just to try it out, yesterday I bought 10BTC of XRP myself, and that's more or less the quantity of XRP's I got for my REAL btc. That's crazy, pure speculative mania. This would mean that Opencoin has TODAY a potential gain of +$1B (yes, billion), when their software is still in Beta phase, and didn't prove ANYTHING. Of course they could never "cash out" that amount of XRP's at this stage, there's still no market for it. But still, you can see how insane is this.

I always said it from the very first moment: Ripple is a genius idea for their creators, is the ultimate get-rich-quick scheme (for them and only for them). But I foresee something in the future: as soon as they want to "cash out", they have such an insame amount of Ripples that they will crash the market with a super small dump. And, in fact, they are the ultimate manipulator in the XRP market: nobody will ever hold as many coins as they do. But they are also creating a monster: all those accumulating hundred of thousands/millions of XRP's will dump them and crash the market sooner or later...

I bet that we will see a steady increase in XRP's prices, there will be a bubble, and shortly after Ripple is finally out of Beta and open to the "grand public" there will be massive XRP dumps everywhere, and the last ones in will be left holding the bag.

kelsey
Legendary

Activity: 1876
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 20, 2013, 03:50:30 PM

what sorting out their very buggy platform? lol
oakpacific

Activity: 784

View Profile
May 20, 2013, 03:51:33 PM

I find it really funny that someone registered on this forum will argue for a currency whose total amount in circulation is not even known.

My biggest concern with XRP is not even the "premining", but it's worse than Chinese government transparency, you have no data whatsoever about it, let alone provable data.

https://tlsnotary.org/ Fraud proofing decentralized fiat-Bitcoin trading.
smoothie
Legendary

View Profile
May 20, 2013, 03:51:54 PM

Right now XRP's are being traded at roughly 54 XRP per $1. That's crazy. I mean, 50K XRP where handed out to anybody asking, and many users bought forums accounts to obtain hundred of thousands of XRP's, if not millions.

Well, today the 50K XRP's given away to anybody who asked are worth roughly $1,000. Heck, just to try it out, yesterday I bought 10BTC of XRP myself, and that's more or less the quantity of XRP's I got for my REAL btc. That's crazy, pure speculative mania. This would mean that Opencoin has TODAY a potential gain of +$1B (yes, billion), when their software is still in Beta phase, and didn't prove ANYTHING. Of course they could never "cash out" that amount of XRP's at this stage, there's still no market for it. But still, you can see how insane is this.

I always said it from the very first moment: Ripple is a genius idea for their creators, is the ultimate get-rich-quick scheme (for them and only for them). But I foresee something in the future: as soon as they want to "cash out", they have such an insame amount of Ripples that they will crash the market with a super small dump. And, in fact, they are the ultimate manipulator in the XRP market: nobody will ever hold as many coins as they do. But they are also creating a monster: all those accumulating hundred of thousands/millions of XRP's will dump them and crash the market sooner or later...

I bet that we will see a steady increase in XRP's prices, there will be a bubble, and shortly after Ripple is finally out of Beta and open to the "grand public" there will be massive XRP dumps everywhere, and the last ones in will be left holding the bag.

+1 over price, broken, closed source, centralized, premined.

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .

mmeijeri

Martijn Meijering

View Profile
May 20, 2013, 03:53:14 PM

clearly you missed the Bitcoin runup.  probably b/c you never understood the fundamentals behind Bitcoin.  this would explain why you can't seem to understand my arguments.

I understand your arguments just fine thank you very much, it's just that they are without value. I'm pretty sure I understand Bitcoin a lot better than you do.

for anyone interested in mmeijeri's first post here on the forum, just look at this to understand why he is a Ripple Evangelist:

Not actually my first post, but my first post outside the newbie forum. And for your information, I hold ~2 BTC right now. I've just given away 1 BTC to the EFF for their awesome decision to accept BTC and I'm waiting for a money transfer from my bank to reach Bitstamp so I can buy back another 1 BTC through Ripple. By contrast, I hold only ~1400 XRP.

Now that we're disclosing private finances, will you tell us how much BTC you hold and what your monthly mining income is? I suspect you won't.

kelsey
Legendary

Activity: 1876

View Profile
May 20, 2013, 03:53:20 PM

when their software is still in Beta phase, and didn't prove ANYTHING.

yes live and people are trading on a very buggy beta platform.....i'd be willing to put a small wager on a reset ledger in the coming weeks....that'll end in tears Smiley
SamS

View Profile
May 20, 2013, 03:53:37 PM

+1 over price, broken, closed source, centralized, premined.

Got to agree here based on the facts on the ground thus far.

oakpacific

Activity: 784

View Profile
May 20, 2013, 03:53:52 PM

There is not even proof that it's not a bunch of Opencoin's shills pumping up the price, think about it, you don't know who get the XRPs, how is it distributed, and they made it clear they would not release data about it.

https://tlsnotary.org/ Fraud proofing decentralized fiat-Bitcoin trading.
smoothie
Legendary

View Profile
May 20, 2013, 03:54:18 PM

I find it really funny that someone registered on this forum will argue for a currency whose total amount in circulation is not even known.

My biggest concern with XRP is not even the "premining", but it's worse than Chinese government transparency, you have no data whatsoever about it, let alone provable data.

I know yeah? Their FAQ just says "look at the graph.....see?" Lol  Cheesy

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
May 20, 2013, 03:55:42 PM

I understand your arguments just fine thank you very much, it's just that they are without value. I'm pretty sure I understand Bitcoin a lot better than you do.

Not actually my first post, but my first post outside the newbie forum. And for your information, I hold ~2 BTC right now. I've just given away 1 BTC to the EFF for their awesome decision to accept BTC and I'm waiting for a money transfer from my bank to reach Bitstamp so I can buy back another 1 BTC through Ripple. By contrast, I hold only ~1400 XRP.

Now that we're disclosing private finances, will you tell us how much BTC you hold and what your monthly mining income is? I suspect you won't.

wow, i'm so impressed you took the great and convincing responsibility to reveal you had 2 BTC.  my you are so transparent.

such childish arguments that any reasonable person wouldn't respond to.
mmeijeri

Martijn Meijering

View Profile
May 20, 2013, 03:56:54 PM

I'll tell you why I'm in favour of Ripple the payment system: it is what will allow BTC to survive even in the face of draconian government repression. I've consistently argued that. I have no strong feelings about XRP the currency either way, but I do think competition is good. And that works both ways, I would welcome a Ripple-like distributed exchange based on BTC rather than XRP.

nelisky
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 20, 2013, 03:57:49 PM

So what would happen to price if OpenCoin decided to dump a mere million? It seems to me looking at going price without looking at volume and depth is just another way to run a smear campaign.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 38 39 »
  Print  

Jump to: