Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 12:55:13 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Why are share prices different on btct.co and bitfunder.com?  (Read 1171 times)
Pzi4nk (OP)

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

Move over clarinets, I'm getting on the band wagon

View Profile
May 11, 2013, 07:43:49 AM

I'm looking at ASICMiner shares and I've seen a substantial price difference between these two exchanges. I'm new to this process so I may be missing something simple but it seems like buyers would bid up the lower priced exchange until the prices were the same.

Is this just an artifact of an immature market?

(No offense intended by the word "immature". But I can see how people might choose one exchange over another if one was less credible or new to the marketplace. I can also see a situation like this when there's not a lot of volume and the prices could momentarily or for a short time, be out of whack.

I can also see [and perhaps this is most likely] that if transactions are cumbersome there is less to be gained by arbitrage between the two exchanges.)

Any insights?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: the cutting edge of begging technology." -- Giraffe.BTC
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
stslimited

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 11, 2013, 06:18:47 PM

I'm looking at ASICMiner shares and I've seen a substantial price difference between these two exchanges. I'm new to this process so I may be missing something simple but it seems like buyers would bid up the lower priced exchange until the prices were the same.

Is this just an artifact of an immature market?

(No offense intended by the word "immature". But I can see how people might choose one exchange over another if one was less credible or new to the marketplace. I can also see a situation like this when there's not a lot of volume and the prices could momentarily or for a short time, be out of whack.

I can also see [and perhaps this is most likely] that if transactions are cumbersome there is less to be gained by arbitrage between the two exchanges.)

Any insights?

volume is low and transaction fees regimes are completely different on those two exchanges
soundasleep

Activity: 169
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 12, 2013, 04:05:44 AM

I prefer btct.co's interface, you don't have to sign up for some other exchange just to deposit BTC, and btct.co's got an awesome API - so that's where my ASICminer shares are Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: