Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 02:47:25 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Safe to keep coins on exchanges?  (Read 2434 times)
Mkmanik

Activity: 986
Merit: 516

View Profile
July 29, 2017, 06:59:33 PM

to keep all of what owned money or bitcoin in one place is too risky and lead to total loosing , so it is better to divided into different wallet exchange , online and local offline wallet controlled only by you .
well said.if anyone attacked by the hacker,then he might be lost all of his Coin. Its a huge lose. i will keep your speech in my mind.I am alwasys think about my wallet,so i set up 2FA and google authonicator.i feel safe now.no one can hack my wallet easily.
"Bitcoin: the cutting edge of begging technology." -- Giraffe.BTC
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Webb.Char23

Activity: 32
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 29, 2017, 07:15:12 PM

Not safe at all. You're trusting the exchange to keep your coins safe and give them back to you when you ask for them. We've seen exchanges run off with Millions of $$ in coins.

Also, if you want to take advantage of the BCC/BTC split I think Kraken is your best best. They will honor the BCC for every BTC you have. I don't believe Bittrex will. Good luck friend.
Mindin

Activity: 294
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 29, 2017, 08:10:48 PM

Not safe at all. You're trusting the exchange to keep your coins safe and give them back to you when you ask for them. We've seen exchanges run off with Millions of $$ in coins.

Also, if you want to take advantage of the BCC/BTC split I think Kraken is your best best. They will honor the BCC for every BTC you have. I don't believe Bittrex will. Good luck friend.

They are mostly safe, in particulare the biggest that trade the highest volume are very solid exchanges that will not "run off with millions of dollars". Have faith in the system.
ibuddy122505

Activity: 1057
Merit: 261

View Profile WWW
July 30, 2017, 03:42:26 PM

You should not believe any exchange, web wallets at all, it's completely dealing with high risk.  On August 1, if you want to keep your bitcoin safe, feel free to use the secure wallet, which has Private key assure you that they'll definitely keep your BTC safe.

get the better idea you may check out this topic: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2017191.0
marvinmtz

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 30, 2017, 04:45:22 PM

It is always good to know....
Prem.Soorajpaul

Activity: 199

0xB911101025014BfCaA3B17BC7683C0817489bB28

View Profile
July 30, 2017, 05:51:11 PM

Go to the Bitcoin Cash official website here:

https://www.bitcoincash.org/

They have listed all the exchanges and wallets which are supporting BCC. If you are using any of these exchanges or wallets, then you don't need to worry.

maeusi

Activity: 462
Merit: 254

View Profile
July 30, 2017, 09:47:38 PM

There is besides the security aspect another reason, which could be argued against  keeping the coins with an exchanger: some exchangers like for example poloniex don't like that and demand customers to actively use their services. So, before you keep your coins at an exchanger for a longer period without activity, you should first read their tos.
Mindin

Activity: 294

View Profile
August 06, 2017, 06:16:42 PM

You should not believe any exchange, web wallets at all, it's completely dealing with high risk.  On August 1, if you want to keep your bitcoin safe, feel free to use the secure wallet, which has Private key assure you that they'll definitely keep your BTC safe.

get the better idea you may check out this topic: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2017191.0

I would preferably stay away from webwallets, unless it is your only option. Take notice.
apolok

Activity: 742
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 06, 2017, 07:20:10 PM

Hello all,

Hereby a newbie question (again)
I have coins on Kraken and Bittrex and would like to know if it is 'safe' to keep them there before/after the 1 august date as well.
I did read that cold storage and paper storage are the best, but what if i keep my coins and fiat on those exchanges so i can more easily buy/sell during fluctuations?
How would you keep the coins secure yet flexible to move around?

Thank you
exchanger is always risky.Hold your coin in core wallet.And if you have private key then your coin is safe.your exchanger wallet can be hacked or stolen.You heard btce.com? that exchanger shutdown their website.There are many reason why they shut it down.But many people lost their coin.Now they can not do anything.So try to keep your coin in core wallet
Pumpkin

Activity: 151

View Profile
August 07, 2017, 10:02:52 AM

Hello all,

Hereby a newbie question (again)
I have coins on Kraken and Bittrex and would like to know if it is 'safe' to keep them there before/after the 1 august date as well.
I did read that cold storage and paper storage are the best, but what if i keep my coins and fiat on those exchanges so i can more easily buy/sell during fluctuations?
How would you keep the coins secure yet flexible to move around?

Thank you

Hey!  Just be aware that while they are on Poloniex you don't actually have Bitcoin. You have a promise by Poloniex to give Bitcoin to you, when you ask. They might be better than you and keeping them safe. So evaluate the risks and decide for yourself, Bitcoin is all about the power to decide and the responsibility to decide well. Hope that helps!
Blackmoon Crypto

Activity: 172
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 07, 2017, 10:17:22 AM

Hey Pumpkin, well said. In the conditions of anonymity and decentralization, everyone is responsible for himself.
Pumpkin

View Profile
August 07, 2017, 10:31:48 AM

Hey Pumpkin, well said. In the conditions of anonymity and decentralization, everyone is responsible for himself.

Hey Blackmoon and thanks for your response..don't you think that the new frameworks could be a catalyst for cryptocurrency?
Blackmoon Crypto

View Profile
August 07, 2017, 10:39:10 AM

Hey Blackmoon and thanks for your response..don't you think that the new frameworks could be a catalyst for cryptocurrency?

It's still hard to say. The financial crypto market is very young and small. Let's monitor events and announcements.
vfrcbv91

Activity: 337
Merit: 102

View Profile
August 07, 2017, 10:45:57 AM

I used to think that, Yes, but in light of recent events.... If you are an active trader, I advise you to move all the coins to their own wallets, so it's more reliable.
LifeOfDoge

Activity: 182

View Profile
August 07, 2017, 11:13:42 AM

Since I lost the most of my coins on Cryptsy exchange I dont believe to any exchange no matter what and I advice you the same.

████→→       ● DeepOnion                                                                       ✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯ 
████→→       ● Tor integrated, 100% anonymous!                                       Get Your FREE Coins NOW!     
████→→       ● Free Airdrop! (No ICO, No Crowdfund)                       ✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯
Pumpkin

View Profile
August 07, 2017, 11:21:49 AM

It's still hard to say. The financial crypto market is very young and small. Let's monitor events and announcements.

Hey Blackmoon. What are the best resources for monitoring and understanding the market?
Blackmoon Crypto

View Profile
August 07, 2017, 11:41:52 AM

Hey Blackmoon. What are the best resources for monitoring and understanding the market?

I use news resources like Coindesk and social media feed of projects interesting to me. This is enough for me personally.
babygun

Activity: 2100
Merit: 254

View Profile WWW
August 07, 2017, 11:44:36 AM

for the moment i only have 0.02 BTC , so i leave these coins at kraken.
For higher amounts i would use Trezor, like mentioned already here.

BIG WINNER!
[15.00000000 BTC]

▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
██████████▀▀██████████
█████████░░░░█████████
██████████▄▄██████████
███████▀▀████▀▀███████
██████░░░░██░░░░██████
███████▄▄████▄▄███████
████▀▀████▀▀████▀▀████
███░░░░██░░░░██░░░░███
████▄▄████▄▄████▄▄████
██████████████████████
▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
█████▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀████
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░░▄███
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░▄████
█████░░▄███▄░░░░██████
█████▄▄███▀░░░░▄██████
█████████░░░░░░███████
████████░░░░░░░███████
███████░░░░░░░░███████
███████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████
██████████████████████
▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
███████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███████████▀▀▄▄█░░░░░█
█████████▀░░█████░░░░█
███████▀░░░░░████▀░░░▀
██████░░░░░░░░▀▄▄█████
█████░▄░░░░░▄██████▀▀█
████░████▄░███████░░░░
███░█████░█████████░░█
███░░░▀█░██████████░░█
███░░░░░░████▀▀██▀░░░░
███░░░░░░███░░░░░░░░░░
▀██░▄▄▄▄░████▄▄██▄░░░░
▄████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄
█████████████░█▀▀▀█░███
██████████▀▀░█▀░░░▀█░▀▀
███████▀░▄▄█░█░░░░░█░█▄
████▀░▄▄████░▀█░░░█▀░██
███░▄████▀▀░▄░▀█░█▀░▄░▀
█▀░███▀▀▀░░███░▀█▀░███░
▀░███▀░░░░░████▄░▄████░
░███▀░░░░░░░█████████░░
░███░░░░░░░░░███████░░░
███▀░██░░░░░░▀░▄▄▄░▀░░░
███░██████▄▄░▄█████▄░▄▄
▀██░████████░███████░█▀
▄████████████████████▄
████████▀▀░░░▀▀███████
███▀▀░░░░░▄▄▄░░░░▀▀▀██
██░▀▀▄▄░░░▀▀▀░░░▄▄▀▀██
██░▄▄░░▀▀▄▄░▄▄▀▀░░░░██
██░▀▀░░░░░░█░░░░░██░██
██░░░▄▄░░░░█░██░░░░░██
██░░░▀▀░░░░█░░░░░░░░██
██░░░░░▄▄░░█░░░░░██░██
██▄░░░░▀▀░░█░██░░░░░██
█████▄▄░░░░█░░░░▄▄████
█████████▄▄█▄▄████████
▀████████████████████▀

Rainbot
Daily Quests
Faucet
bitcoinstress

Activity: 228

View Profile WWW
August 07, 2017, 05:47:38 PM

Trusting the exchanger to keep your coins isn't wrong but you shoudl think about the risk of saving coin in the exchanger because the control isn't under you.

malikusama
Copper Member

Activity: 1050
Merit: 294

View Profile
August 07, 2017, 07:38:30 PM

We can't say with surety that specific platform is risk free and safe because everywhere online risk involves. Better to keep your coins on exchanges just for trade and then transfer it to your own wallet, keeping coins in exchanges for long time is not safe at all.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: