Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 07:57:26 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Got 18x6870 - Need Advice on MOBO/PSU/Risers  (Read 3053 times)
bassclef

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 11, 2013, 07:25:51 AM

Whaaaat how did you get an order in???

As far as your questions, 4gb of ram should be fine.  I have 6950's and they use 500mbs each.  That x 6 = 3gb which should give you a little left over for your operating system.

If you want to stick to one PSU, your looking at something like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817494006 
They actually have it on Bitcoinstore for a little cheaper + free shipping.  Just note that you will need to use 2 molex to 6pin adapters, because that psu only has 10 pcie connectors. 

Motherboards, there are threads on here discussing good mining mobos+mobos that can hold 6 cards.  You might be able to find some good stuff in there.

Amazon has the Lepa G1600 for $288. Just in case Smiley
The block chain is the main innovation of Bitcoin. It is the first distributed timestamping system.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
jaywaka2713

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

aka 7Strykes

View Profile
May 11, 2013, 12:59:49 PM

Whaaaat how did you get an order in???

As far as your questions, 4gb of ram should be fine.  I have 6950's and they use 500mbs each.  That x 6 = 3gb which should give you a little left over for your operating system.

If you want to stick to one PSU, your looking at something like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817494006 
They actually have it on Bitcoinstore for a little cheaper + free shipping.  Just note that you will need to use 2 molex to 6pin adapters, because that psu only has 10 pcie connectors. 

Motherboards, there are threads on here discussing good mining mobos+mobos that can hold 6 cards.  You might be able to find some good stuff in there.

Amazon has the Lepa G1600 for $288. Just in case Smiley

He is using a dual 750W PSU for better and safer power spread.

BitshireHashaway

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
May 11, 2013, 04:09:03 PM

Just wondering why would you order if you haven't researched exactly what components your going to need yet, just seems like a bad decision to me. However, for LTC mining, you don't need too much ram if you use cgminer so just around 2 gb should suffice. Best of luck with your rig!
jaywaka2713

aka 7Strykes

View Profile
May 11, 2013, 04:33:11 PM

Just wondering why would you order if you haven't researched exactly what components your going to need yet, just seems like a bad decision to me. However, for LTC mining, you don't need too much ram if you use cgminer so just around 2 gb should suffice. Best of luck with your rig!

He came here for advice on the hardware he has picked out. He has picked good hardware. This was his research.

Also about the RAM. 4GB for any rig these days is almost a must. 4GB will ensure it stays stable and is just hassle free.

mercSuey

Activity: 364

View Profile
May 12, 2013, 06:46:56 AM

He came here for advice on the hardware he has picked out. He has picked good hardware. This was his research.

Also about the RAM. 4GB for any rig these days is almost a must. 4GB will ensure it stays stable and is just hassle free.

Agreed.  It's good equipment.  I am going to build similar setup with 7950's.
jaywaka2713

aka 7Strykes

View Profile
May 12, 2013, 01:50:42 PM

Agreed.  It's good equipment.  I am going to build similar setup with 7950's.

That'll work out with all of the hardware he is using as well. Any GPU setup will. If you guys wanted to, you can use cards from various series 7950, 6990, 5870, etc... you just can't use crossfire. Mining code will utilize whatever combination there is

computerparts

Activity: 378

View Profile
May 12, 2013, 06:35:44 PM

Exactly. FIRE FIRE!
ecliptic

Activity: 322

View Profile
May 12, 2013, 09:52:51 PM

Hi,

I just placed an order for 18x 6870. Those should arrive early next week.

I would like someone to give me advise on what MOBO's should i get? I would like to keep it in 3 rigs (6 cards each(preferably)). What about PSU? Also RAM? how much ram do i need for LTC mining?

More importantly psi x extenders, which ones should i get? how many powered extenders?

Also, can i use 1x to 16x extender on 16x slot? or does it have to be 16x to 16x?

Any information would be really helpful.

I will send few LTC if your post is helpful, I might need to split the coins for multiple people.

Thanks alot!

Here comes a fire  Cheesy

No fire. I've seen massive GPU farms that run more than 12 rigs at once. Just google mining rigs and hold your eyes in. People make some insane stuff man. 3 rigs is nothing

I'm implying a fire as a result of OP's lack of experience. Why anyone would start big when they clearly have no clue what they're doing is beyond me.

Lack of experience doesn't mean anything. I assembled my first computer not knowing one iota of how to do it. All I had was an anti-static wristband and that was it. Got it assembled, BIOS programmed, and everything done on my own. OP is perfectly able to build three rigs. I'm sure he will come asking questions when he receives the hardware. Also, who knows if he has built a computer before? He came asking for hardware dedicated to the purpose of mining Bitcoins and Altcoins. I came asking about how >4 GPU rigs even worked, and got multiple answers. This board is a source of help, so we give help. He'll be fine.
The second you use PCI risers you're doing things that the standards are not made to handle.

They're expecting to be able to pull wattage from the PCI slot.  Combine this with OC'ing and running them 24/7.. it can be dangerous.
jaywaka2713

aka 7Strykes

View Profile
May 12, 2013, 09:56:26 PM

The second you use PCI risers you're doing things that the standards are not made to handle.

They're expecting to be able to pull wattage from the PCI slot.  Combine this with OC'ing and running them 24/7.. it can be dangerous.

That's why we recommended POWERED x1 to x16 risers. They compensate for all that extra power. The PCIe x16 slots provide more than enough power, so a riser won't provide an issue if it isn't powered.

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: