Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 08:42:27 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The Flamers Are Back!  (Read 1603 times)
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 11:32:20 AM

they are here to pummel mtgox the best they can.  look at all the newbie posters who have registered in just the last few days spreading FUD.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The trust scores you see are subjective; they will change depending on who you have in your trust list.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
DamienBlack

Activity: 56
Merit: 1

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 11:35:34 AM

People got a taste of how awesome low prices could be and are trying to start a panic. I'm all for cashing in on low prices, I'll definitely be buying if there is a sell off at my gox, but I don't see the point in damaging the whole community in an attempt to create artificial low prices.
aral

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 11:42:02 AM

Spreading FUD?  Maybe they are just people who are genuinely annoyed with mtgox for spreading their passwords and email addresses all over the internet.  And fuck knows what financial information got into the wrong hands.

Maybe MT should make his mind up whether they were hacked or compromised by their own 'auditor' instead of vacillating between the two stories based on whichever he imagines have lesser legal consequences.
d.james

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

Firstbits: 12pqwk

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 11:46:23 AM

they are here to pummel mtgox the best they can.  look at all the newbie posters who have registered in just the last few days spreading FUD.

Why are you surprised?

I'm more surprised that mtgox guy is actually responding to those flames instead of working on the site.
and most of his responses ended up hurting his rep instead of helping.

You can not roll a BitCoin, but you can rollback some. Cheesy
Roll me back: 1NxMkvbYn8o7kKCWPsnWR4FDvH7L9TJqGG
Torminalis

Activity: 39
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 11:46:28 AM

My details were leaked, before this I had no problem with MtGox. Now I think they are fucking idiots and deserve everything they get. No FUD, no agenda or axe to grind. I have my own security precautions so I am not all that bothered by the leak but I can see why some are.

If you stand on the backs of giants you should know that it will be a long fall when you lose your footing.
Batouzo

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 11:54:25 AM

they are here to pummel mtgox the best they can.  look at all the newbie posters who have registered in just the last few days spreading FUD.

Mtgox leaked our sensitive data.

This is not a FUD, thoes are the solid, sad facts - you can find all our data leaked here on forum.

We know user DB leaked and passwords where cracked and more are cracked.

Some people used same passwords in few places and they are burned even more (but this is actually in big part their fault, smaller fault of mtgox imho).

I wonder now is transactions also leaked.
If they could log into accounts, they could see orders history. Including banking details.

IRS visit, anyone? Been paying all the taxes on bitcoin gains?
Anyone bought coins in mtgox and right away bought a sex-doll, or alcohol (in countries where that is not legal), or donated to pro-democratic foundations (say EFF?) in countries where that would bring trouble?

It is the worst banking secrecy disaster that could had happened to Mt gox users - full access to their accounts.

Personally actually I did paid tax on bitcoin (yeap), but this situation is really bad even if this part does not affect me.

Sorry mtgox, I did liked your services a lot;  but such horrible negligence pisses me off! 

Oldminer
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 11:58:52 AM

They didn't leak your data. It was stolen.

Are you really that retarded that you don't understand the difference?

If you like my post please feel free to give me some positive rep https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=trust;u=18639
Tip me BTC: 1FBmoYijXVizfYk25CpiN8Eds9J6YiRDaX
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 12:00:21 PM

People got a taste of how awesome low prices could be and are trying to start a panic. I'm all for cashing in on low prices, I'll definitely be buying if there is a sell off at my gox, but I don't see the point in damaging the whole community in an attempt to create artificial low prices.

i think many of these ppl have a more insidious agenda.
Batouzo

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 12:01:11 PM

Ok... so by comparsion, was Sony banking cards scandal a leak or "just data stolen" from poor poor Sony?

Even Reuters calls Sony heist "data leak", and the situation seem similar - someone hacked in and stolen the database - but perhaps they don't know shit, or perhaps this situation is totally different.

So sure - please explain to us this difference - why you say mtgox users database getting into Internet was not a data leak. perhaps I'm wrong.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/04/28/us-sony-stock-idUSTRE73R0A420110428
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 12:04:18 PM

Was Sony banking cards scandal a leak or "just data stolen" from poor poor Sony?

Even Reuters calls Sony heist "data leak", and the situation seem similar - someone hacked in and stolen the database - but perhaps they don't know shit, or perhaps this situation is totally different.

So sure - please explain to us this difference - why you say mtgox users database getting into Internet was not a data leak. perhaps I'm wrong.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/04/28/us-sony-stock-idUSTRE73R0A420110428

your language is important.  i think the difference is obvious; leak implies intentional, stolen is involuntary.
The_Duke

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

Lead Core BitKitty Developer

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 12:07:43 PM

your language is important.  i think the difference is obvious; leak implies intentional, stolen is involuntary.

The data was stolen from MtGox (who are liable due to neglicting to take proper security measures) and then leaked by the hacker.

NOT a member of the so called ''Bitcoin Foundation''. Choose Independence!

Donate to the BitKitty Foundation instead! -> 1Fd4yLneGmxRHnPi6WCMC2hAMzaWvDePF9 <-
FreddyFender

Activity: 215
Merit: 100

Shamantastic!

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 12:12:32 PM

Hey Doc, Why you feed troll? No happy wit bad word meanie? I take you to fishin hole and you jumpin in da water? Shame.... shame for gettin de fitch all rile up!
At least we can have ourselves a fish fry!
Weeehaaa! I got me troll-stomping boots on! Come on trollups! TROLL PILE!
*sigh*

piuk

Activity: 910
Merit: 1005

View Profile WWW
June 21, 2011, 12:18:16 PM

I and other people have lost money as a direct result of his incompetence. You can't expect him to come on here and get a heros welcome.

Batouzo

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 12:25:34 PM
Last edit: June 21, 2011, 12:37:52 PM by Batouzo

your language is important.  i think the difference is obvious; leak implies intentional, stolen is involuntary.

redirected from Data Leak:
  Data breach      
  From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
  A data breach is the unintentional release of secure information to an untrusted environment. Other terms for this phenonmenon include unintentional information disclosure, data leak and also data spill.
  Incidents range from concerted attack by black hats with the backing of organized crime or national governments to careless disposal of used computer equipment or data storage media.

I ment the same as Wikipedia defines it - Mtgox unintentionally released our secure information.

bitsalame
Donator

Activity: 714
Merit: 510

Preaching the gospel of Satoshi

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 01:56:38 PM

I am really amazed by the weak arguments that some people here use to defend the indefensible.
First of all, arguing about semantics? Is that the best you can do? Who the hell cares if it is leaked or stolen, the end result is the same: our private information which was trusted to MtGox has been exposed publicly. If MtGox couldn't protect a breach that is easily preventable, then it is a GROSS NEGLIGENCE.

If the attackers used 0-day exploits, then it might be classified as "Force Majeure" (I better not give them ideas, no? lol)
In any case, a SQL attack is always preventable. And the choice of using MD5 for password hashing, shows very poor judgement.
It is evident that they tacitly acknowledge their poor judgement because one of the new security measures is to hash them with Sha-1.

This is a very clear example of hacking exploiting negligence.
And it is pathetic that they are not being upfront, honest and transparent to what happened to them.
They had all our trust to begin with, an honest declaration would have been quite understandable. They had all our support.

Now they are eroding all the trust with all these stupid, stupid, childish and pathetic lies.
  • "no, no, it wasn't hacked, it was an auditor... we are not responsible" W T F
  • "no, no, it wasn't SQL" (er.. it was.)
  • "no, no, it wasn't CSRF" (it used to be exploited, and some report that were still exploited.)
  • "eeer... no, it... err... Lionel Hutz help me out here... oh right, it is 'Force Majeure'"

"I declare... Force Majeure" - Lionel Hutz, defense attorney of Mt.Gox.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: