Bitcoin Forum
March 24, 2019, 12:46:13 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 0.17.1 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 [56] 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 ... 172 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] dstm's ZCash / Equihash Nvidia Miner v0.6.2 (Linux / Windows)  (Read 221691 times)
dstm

Activity: 350
Merit: 126

View Profile
November 09, 2017, 08:27:08 PM

Some more information about the downtime:

OVH hosting went down for a couple of hours today. They are one of the biggest hosting service in Europe - multiple pools went down because of this in Europe.

Concerning zm's developer fee implementation:                                                                                 
It's not easy to differentiate between a server outage and someone simply blocking network access to dev fee servers for a user space program. This is why zm behaves like this. Nevertheless expected downtime due to this is still very low.

There are multiple technical solutions to this.                                                                               
Failover servers is one possibility, however they have to be chosen carefully such that they are distributed among different hosting providers.

Another possibility is to differentiate between a server outage and someone trying to bypass dev fee. Such an implementation would allow to simply disable dev fee as long as the corresponding server is down. However this would require zm to communicate with it's own servers.

A third possibility is to extend zm such that it's able to solve blocks without the need of a pool. This one requires the most work - I'm currently not sure about the constraints of this solution, however it might also be useful for some users.

For users that have concerns about zm's current reliability because of this. Pls use a different mining software - it's your choice ofc.

Well, after reading this, it's clear that you fees are your number one concern.
You do not care about the down time as long as your fees are not stolen.

This kind of reasoning will get you hacked, this is just a matter of time.

I'm not sure about your intention, I don't see any productive proposal in your statement.                                     
I've clearly stated the preference for reliability above the developer fee I've also stated some possible solutions I'm thinking of. This allows people to discuss them if there are any concerns about them.
Your Bitcoin transactions
The Ultimate Bitcoin mixer
made truly anonymous.
with an advanced technology.
Mix coins
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction. Advertise here.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
uskovartem

Activity: 45
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 09, 2017, 08:36:58 PM

What if not hardcode flypool, but mine with user on same pool? If user run zm on nanopool, also mine on this pool, and same with other pools.
Sadly, that dev fee №1 in prioritate  Sad
Seb83

Activity: 41

View Profile
November 09, 2017, 08:39:27 PM

Some more information about the downtime:

OVH hosting went down for a couple of hours today. They are one of the biggest hosting service in Europe - multiple pools went down because of this in Europe.

Concerning zm's developer fee implementation:                                                                                  
It's not easy to differentiate between a server outage and someone simply blocking network access to dev fee servers for a user space program. This is why zm behaves like this. Nevertheless expected downtime due to this is still very low.

There are multiple technical solutions to this.                                                                                
Failover servers is one possibility, however they have to be chosen carefully such that they are distributed among different hosting providers.

Another possibility is to differentiate between a server outage and someone trying to bypass dev fee. Such an implementation would allow to simply disable dev fee as long as the corresponding server is down. However this would require zm to communicate with it's own servers.

A third possibility is to extend zm such that it's able to solve blocks without the need of a pool. This one requires the most work - I'm currently not sure about the constraints of this solution, however it might also be useful for some users.

For users that have concerns about zm's current reliability because of this. Pls use a different mining software - it's your choice ofc.

Well, after reading this, it's clear that you fees are your number one concern.
You do not care about the down time as long as your fees are not stolen.

This kind of reasoning will get you hacked, this is just a matter of time.

I'm not sure about your intention, I don't see any productive proposal in your statement.                                      
I've clearly stated the preference for reliability above the developer fee I've also stated some possible solutions I'm thinking of. This allows people to discuss them if there are any concerns about them.

I have no intention. I'm just saying that zm should not shut down if you cannot connect to the server for your fees.
You have to act fast. Do something. Lower the hash rate or I dont know... but find a solution now.
We don't have to wait that you find the perfect anti piracy solution.

Let me remind you that you are taking 700 bucks everyday from us.
This is no donation! this is your fees. We are paying you. So, in case of problem like that we expect you to act fast.
No blabla, no bullshit.

We all lost today because of that (including you), and you act like it is nothing.
The problem is not the network failure, it is the way your miner react.

QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1024

View Profile
November 09, 2017, 08:53:58 PM

this morning there was an outage in EU affecting several pool providers that had the EU servers there: suprnova, flypool, ethermine, miningspeed, hence an almost 3 hour downtime.

Set up one or more backup pools - somewhere else.
 Doesn't help if YOUR ISP or the core ISP they connect to goes down, but can make a big difference is the POOL'S ISP goes down on one pool.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
dstm

View Profile
November 09, 2017, 09:05:05 PM

What if not hardcode flypool, but mine with user on same pool? If user run zm on nanopool, also mine on this pool, and same with other pools.
Sadly, that dev fee №1 in prioritate  Sad

I was thinking of this possibility, it's easy to implement, however it has drawbacks since some pools require login information.
prettycode

Activity: 9

View Profile
November 09, 2017, 09:19:25 PM

Just wanted to say that I'm switching back to EWBF even if zm gives me a ~3% better hashrate. No fail-over for dev shares is not going to work for my farm. Not interested in having a similar outage again.
dstm

View Profile
November 09, 2017, 09:38:08 PM

I have no intention. I'm just saying that zm should not shut down if you cannot connect to the server for your fees.
You have to act fast. Do something. Lower the hash rate or I dont know... but find a solution now.

This is no donation! this is your fees. We are paying you. So, in case of problem like that we expect you to act fast.
No blabla, no bullshit.

We all lost today because of that (including you), and you act like it is nothing.

This is slightly one sided ofc.                                                                                               
Server outage like today is very unlikely to happen during the next week.                                                     
So there is some time (and it's a of high priority ofc) to think about a solution which works reliable for all users in all locations. People that have concerns about zm's current reliability (this is perfectly valid ofc) have the option to use a different mining software. I don't want to hack an unreliable solution as fast as possible just to make it look good.
uskovartem

Activity: 45

View Profile
November 09, 2017, 09:46:58 PM

Bad practice in programming think that something isn't happen. Try to predict all cases.
dstm

View Profile
November 09, 2017, 10:06:39 PM

Bad practice in programming think that something isn't happen. Try to predict all cases.

Right, that's a valid argument. I was thinking about the probability of this, I expected it to be pretty low, such an huge server outage like today is very unlikely statistically. I've to schedule user request ofc, it was a bad decision to prioritize other things.
Seb83

View Profile
November 09, 2017, 10:21:19 PM

No blabla, no bullshit.

So there is some time (and it's a of high priority ofc) to think about a solution which works reliable for all users in all locations. People that have concerns about zm's current reliability (this is perfectly valid ofc) have the option to use a different mining software. I don't want to hack an unreliable solution as fast as possible just to make it look good.

This was not a server outage but a network outage. That can happen everyday, maybe not that scale but it can happen anytime.
There is no hack to do, the real hack is your fee. You remove that and everything work fine.

The solution is simple: no connection, you drop the shares... nobody wins, but at least the miner don't crash. Is that a hack?

For now, you just make it look bad. It is unreliable because how your fee behave, and your reaction.
And telling people here on this forum, who has worked with you (yea, beta test), if your're not happy go use another miner: that's not very professional.

Lot's of us here had stability problems... well, it's becoming clear now. We have at least one explanation.
Not only we are paying fees, but it's turning against us.
But you don't wanna change anything, I get it.

I'm complaining, but I don't care, really. I just have a small rig. But think of those who have farms.
Some have spoken, you just ignore them.

hanskan

Activity: 336
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 09, 2017, 10:31:54 PM
Last edit: November 09, 2017, 10:43:59 PM by hanskan

No blabla, no bullshit.

This was not a server outage but a network outage. That can happen everyday, maybe not that scale but it can happen anytime.
There is no hack to do, the real hack is your fee. You remove that and everything work fine.

The solution is simple: no connection, you drop the shares... nobody wins, but at least the miner don't crash. Is that a hack?

For now, you just make it look bad. It is unreliable because how your fee behave, and your reaction.
And telling people here on this forum, who has worked with you (yea, beta test), if your're not happy go use another miner: that's not very professional.

Lot's of us here had stability problems... well, it's becoming clear now. We have at least one explanation.

I'm complaining, but I don't care, really. I just have a small rig. But think of those who have farms.

dude, we fking got it, you're salty. Run back to EWBF's and shut it, no one is forcing you to use this miner.
Seb83

View Profile
November 09, 2017, 10:37:12 PM

No blabla, no bullshit.

dude, we fking got it, your'e salty. Run back to EWBF's and shut it, no one is forcing you to use this miner.

Very constructive.
You're actually the one who should shut it.

hanskan

Activity: 336
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 09, 2017, 10:47:58 PM

No blabla, no bullshit.

dude, we fking got it, your'e salty. Run back to EWBF's and shut it, no one is forcing you to use this miner.

Very constructive.
You're actually the one who should shut it.

oh these trolls with chromosome disorder on this board. If you are so awesome, why don't you write a miner that's perfect ? Oh wait, missing half a brain and all you are capable of is drooling.
dstm

View Profile
November 09, 2017, 11:02:56 PM

Sry, I'm really trying to understand your intention, it looks like we are reading different things.

I've stated it clearly: reliability is of high priority - I'm working to handle such kind of situations reliably.
I don't want to provide an unreliable untested solution - so it will take a couple of days.
If this is not fast enough people have the option to use a different mining software, if there was no other mining software available providing an untested solution would be an option.
Seb83

View Profile
November 09, 2017, 11:20:49 PM

Sry, I'm really trying to understand your intention, it looks like we are reading different things.

I've stated it clearly: reliability is of high priority - I'm working to handle such kind of situations reliably.
I don't want to provide an unreliable untested solution - so it will take a couple of days.
If this is not fast enough people have the option to use a different mining software, if there was no other mining software available providing an untested solution would be an option.

All right! I don't speak for everybody, but to me 2 days sound cool.
I just had the impression that you didn't care and were about to do nothing about it.
jmayniac

Activity: 77

View Profile
November 09, 2017, 11:25:22 PM

DSTM - Thank you for the work you have put into this.  I know not everyone is appreciative right now, but I am.
induktor

Activity: 707
Merit: 502

View Profile
November 09, 2017, 11:44:59 PM

It happens because very smart boy - dstm hardcoded fee pool in this miner. When pool (flypool) is down miner is out of work. So I lost more than hour on my farms it is much more than fee. Now I switched to EWBF - it is less vulnerable to such a treats.

Bye bye dstm..

Same here, 8 Hours offline with 30 x 1080 GPUs because of this problem.
not anymore.
I'll go back to EWBF
it connected instantly, 0 problems.

I lost a lot of money today.
sorry dstm but i can't afford problems like this, my profit marging is too thin right now to be offfline 8 hours for such a stupid issue.

BTC addr: 1vTGnFgaM2WJjswwmbj6N2AQBWcHfimSc
that1lurk3r

Activity: 20

View Profile
November 10, 2017, 12:01:55 AM

dstm you never get credit for the work you do. I thank you for everything you have given me at least. There was some downtime but everyone has downtime somewhere.
dstm

View Profile
November 10, 2017, 12:20:45 AM

It happens because very smart boy - dstm hardcoded fee pool in this miner. When pool (flypool) is down miner is out of work. So I lost more than hour on my farms it is much more than fee. Now I switched to EWBF - it is less vulnerable to such a treats.

Bye bye dstm..

not anymore.
I'll go back to EWBF

sorry dstm but i can't afford problems like this, my profit marging is too thin right now to be offfline 8 hours for such a stupid issue.

That's perfectly valid ofc, no doubt - sry for the downtime.
I'm currently in contact with different pool owners, to be able to distribute pools across different networks.
I'm still not really happy about the failover draft, it has some corner cases that I don't like - like local network issues - more difficulties for people which have to tunnel all their traffic through a proxy - but I'm working on it.
induktor

Activity: 707
Merit: 502

View Profile
November 10, 2017, 12:28:28 AM

Bye bye dstm..

not anymore.
I'll go back to EWBF

That's perfectly valid ofc, no doubt - sry for the downtime.
I'm currently in contact with different pool owners, to be able to distribute pools across different networks.
I'm still not really happy about the failover draft, it has some corner cases that I don't like - like local network issues - more difficulties for people which have to tunnel all their traffic through a proxy - but I'm working on it.

Great! thank you for taking it serious, and worry about it, i'll wait until you sort this out and go back to your miner then.
please let us know when you got it Smiley
thank you
indkt.

BTC addr: 1vTGnFgaM2WJjswwmbj6N2AQBWcHfimSc
Pages: « 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 [56] 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 ... 172 »
  Print  

Jump to:  

Sponsored by , a Bitcoin-accepting VPN.