Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 04:26:18 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: UPS running a bit warm  (Read 404 times)
Cereberus (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 15, 2017, 06:33:23 PM

I managed to build a home mining rig with 6 Nvidia GTX 1050 ti but the problem is my UPS is running a bit warm. Is this normal or is this because of the 6 GPU-s attached to the system. Should I remove it and connect the power supply to the power source and not the UPS ? Or is it normal for the UPS to run a bit warm under heavy workload conditions ? There is normal airflow to the UPS.

██    ██    ██    ██
  ██    ██    ██    ██
██    ██    ██    ██
              ██    ██
            ██    ██
          ██    ██
        ██    ██
      ██    ██       
    ██    ██    ██    ██
  ██    ██    ██    ██
██    ██    ██    ██
TRADEPLAYZ
█ 
█ 
█     
█  █
█  █ 
█  █ 
█  █
    █  █
  █  █
  █  █
        █
    █
      █   
TOURNAMENT PVP SYSTEM
  FACEBOOK |  TWITTER  |  LINKEDIN  |  TELEGRAM  |  GITHUB  |  ANN  | INSTAGRAM 

█ 
█ 
█     
█  █
█  █ 
█  █ 
█  █
    █  █
  █  █
  █  █
        █
    █
      █   

█▄
                     ████▄
                     ██████▄
                     ████████▄
                     ██████████▄
                     ████████████▄
                     ██████████████▄
                     ███████████████
                     ██████████████▀
                     ████████████▀
                     ██████████▀
                     ████████▀
                     ██████▀
                     ████▀
                     █
█▀
GOOGLE PLAY

▄█████████████▄
                            ███████████████
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            ██████▀▀▀██████
                             ▀████▄▄▄▄████▀
  APPSTORE

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin software, network, and concept is called "Bitcoin" with a capitalized "B". Bitcoin currency units are called "bitcoins" with a lowercase "b" -- this is often abbreviated BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
jackg
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2856
Merit: 3071

https://bit.ly/387FXHi lightning theory

View Profile
July 15, 2017, 08:32:47 PM

I managed to build a home mining rig with 6 Nvidia GTX 1050 ti but the problem is my UPS is running a bit warm. Is this normal or is this because of the 6 GPU-s attached to the system. Should I remove it and connect the power supply to the power source and not the UPS ? Or is it normal for the UPS to run a bit warm under heavy workload conditions ? There is normal airflow to the UPS.

It is normal for a PSU or UPS to run warm under a heavy workload and providing the total power of the GPUs don't exceed the total power the UPS can provide then you sould be fine.
However, I'm not sure why you'd need a UPS for GPUs as their power supplies might be more efficient at powering them?
Za1n
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1011

View Profile
July 15, 2017, 09:49:35 PM

Unless your power goes out all the time, I would recommend bypassing the UPS completely and plugging the rig into the wall directly. You can use a passive surge suppressor to help protect against some spikes if you want, but the few times a UPS might keep your system up is probably more than offset by the extra electricity it is consuming 24/7. Even if you had a 95% efficient UPS, a rig drawing 1000 watts would always add an unnecessary 50 watts draw to your utility bill.

So unless you have free electricity you are wasting power for a little bit of insurance for the few times the power might go out. Also considering you are worried about the heat, your UPS is probably less than 95% efficient, so the excess waste would be even higher. You should be able to determine to exact rating from the manufacturers specifications if interested.
Cereberus (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 16, 2017, 03:49:47 PM

Unless your power goes out all the time, I would recommend bypassing the UPS completely and plugging the rig into the wall directly. You can use a passive surge suppressor to help protect against some spikes if you want, but the few times a UPS might keep your system up is probably more than offset by the extra electricity it is consuming 24/7. Even if you had a 95% efficient UPS, a rig drawing 1000 watts would always add an unnecessary 50 watts draw to your utility bill.

So unless you have free electricity you are wasting power for a little bit of insurance for the few times the power might go out. Also considering you are worried about the heat, your UPS is probably less than 95% efficient, so the excess waste would be even higher. You should be able to determine to exact rating from the manufacturers specifications if interested.

The spike is almost non existent here so I am thinking to remove the UPS completely because it is not a well known brand like APC Triple lite, its a copy cat brand. it is a 690 watt UPS keeping 6 70 watt cards in it plus 100 watt of the board and all other components. I will check my utility bill of electricity for a month or two an decide what to do. UPS is running normal , never powering out so thank you all.

██    ██    ██    ██
  ██    ██    ██    ██
██    ██    ██    ██
              ██    ██
            ██    ██
          ██    ██
        ██    ██
      ██    ██       
    ██    ██    ██    ██
  ██    ██    ██    ██
██    ██    ██    ██
TRADEPLAYZ
█ 
█ 
█     
█  █
█  █ 
█  █ 
█  █
    █  █
  █  █
  █  █
        █
    █
      █   
TOURNAMENT PVP SYSTEM
  FACEBOOK |  TWITTER  |  LINKEDIN  |  TELEGRAM  |  GITHUB  |  ANN  | INSTAGRAM 

█ 
█ 
█     
█  █
█  █ 
█  █ 
█  █
    █  █
  █  █
  █  █
        █
    █
      █   

█▄
                     ████▄
                     ██████▄
                     ████████▄
                     ██████████▄
                     ████████████▄
                     ██████████████▄
                     ███████████████
                     ██████████████▀
                     ████████████▀
                     ██████████▀
                     ████████▀
                     ██████▀
                     ████▀
                     █
█▀
GOOGLE PLAY

▄█████████████▄
                            ███████████████
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            ██████▀▀▀██████
                             ▀████▄▄▄▄████▀
  APPSTORE
Rigorous

Activity: 574
Merit: 115

View Profile
July 16, 2017, 08:05:24 PM

Also a UPS can be both a liability, because you insert a possible new point of failure, and a false sense of security, considering it doesn't protect against lightning for example. I've read many an Amazon review where a reputable brand's UPS actually caused outage because the battery was worn out, not to mention the cost of replacing said battery.
Za1n
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1011

View Profile
July 16, 2017, 08:19:24 PM

The spike is almost non existent here so I am thinking to remove the UPS completely because it is not a well known brand like APC Triple lite, its a copy cat brand. it is a 690 watt UPS keeping 6 70 watt cards in it plus 100 watt of the board and all other components. I will check my utility bill of electricity for a month or two an decide what to do. UPS is running normal , never powering out so thank you all.

Buy yourself a cheap kill-a-watt or similar type of power meter and plug your UPS with miner attached into it and read the wattage draw. Then do the same with just the rig plugged in. You may be surprised at the difference, especially if it is a no-name brand with lower overall efficiency. Then determine if it is worth it or not. I have seen some real cheap UPS units tack on another 10% to overall usage, while some of the better ones are only 2-3% since they are mainly pass-through devices that consume a small amount to keep the batteries topped up most of the time. Relying on your utility bill is not a good indicator unless you have a very static consumption pattern.

Myself I only have a UPS to supply my router, switches, cable modem and a few server type PC's I use for nodes, proxies, and the like. I also have a UPS on my main PC I use to trade, but all my mining rigs are on their own with just a Tripp lite commercial rated surge suppressor for the 120V units, and I usually use commercial power strips or PDUs for my 240V rigs to provide surge suppression and delayed start capabilities in case of a sudden power loss. Trying to put a UPS on all of this would be costly, add extra to my power usage, and offer very little in terms of protection. Most modern PCs with a SDD or M2 card will not be too impacted by a sudden power loss as write to disk are pretty much instantaneous.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: