Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 02:20:12 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What Will happen if all bitcoin already mined ?  (Read 14681 times)
Cormoran

Activity: 61
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 01, 2017, 06:30:51 PM

There are only 21 million total bitcoins that can be mined, what will happen if all bitcoin is already mined?

After all 21 million bitcoins are mined - which will take quite a long time with the block reward reductions, about 60 years if I remember right - miners will still receive transaction fees from solving blocks and advancing the blockchain. Assuming bitcoin value increases on a trajectory that tracks with the increasing difficulty of mining, it should still be worth solving blocks just for the transaction fees. If it's not, presumably miners will find other coins until the difficulty decreases enough for it to be worth mining again without block rewards.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ramyon

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 01, 2017, 08:48:22 PM

Maybe the number of business people to switch to other businesses or could just switch to offline business
steamon

Activity: 404
Merit: 252

View Profile
September 02, 2017, 09:09:21 PM

When all Bitcoins are mined. Miners only get paid for the transactions fees. This most likely means a lot of miners will go off the network. Curious how they are planning to solve that after that. I do believe Bitcoin transactions will be even faster near that date. Miners are needed to keep the network alive. So I can see donation funds happen to keep miner farms alive to keep the Bitcoin network alive basically. Maybe the transaction fees then will be enough to keep miners interested. We will see when we get there. Smiley
Soutogu

Activity: 154

View Profile
September 03, 2017, 12:18:23 AM

When all Bitcoins are mined. Miners only get paid for the transactions fees. This most likely means a lot of miners will go off the network. Curious how they are planning to solve that after that. I do believe Bitcoin transactions will be even faster near that date. Miners are needed to keep the network alive. So I can see donation funds happen to keep miner farms alive to keep the Bitcoin network alive basically. Maybe the transaction fees then will be enough to keep miners interested. We will see when we get there. Smiley

I don't think miners will get off the network.. Things will reach an equilibrium, and by the time bitcoin reaches its 21 million units, hopefully it'll be already adopted by many and have scaled well - meaning plenty of tx/s to keep the miners going profitably.
trecore4

Activity: 658
Merit: 260

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
September 03, 2017, 10:59:37 AM

The simple logic is that,if all bitcoins minced than demand of bitcoin also rises due to it's popularity and decentralized nature.So it simply increase the value of bitcoin.So be ready to face it . Wink

Yeah same will happen as well as mining fees will be increased too. Miners won't be having any other source if getting their money or profits so they will just out more fees on us. Bitcoin will be costly as well so everything is going to be costly at one point in crypto world. This might be the era when altcoins will start taking the leap into trading and investments market. Moreover, miners will have only one thing to do and that's confirming the bitcoin transactions. :-)

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
CryptoTalk.org| 
MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!
🏆
Ucy

Activity: 2576
Merit: 401

View Profile
September 03, 2017, 05:12:07 PM

Or what happens when 21million limit is reached. That "Mining" Metaphor isn't really the most suitable.

Well, guess Satoshi placed the limit for a reason. Fees will eventually become the main source of income for the miners.
Fortunately, it will take a very long day for the limit to be reached.
MiriamWeston

Activity: 38
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 09, 2017, 07:51:20 AM

Bitcoin is celebrated by supporters and admonished by skeptics because of its finite supply. There are only 21 million bitcoins that can ever be mined, regardless of the earth’s population and its corresponding demand for bitcoins. Once all 21 million have been mined, there will never be any new bitcoins (unless a change to the protocol is made to increase the supply).
w5pn73

Activity: 635
Merit: 251

View Profile
September 09, 2017, 04:18:28 PM

Well the network still has to run..transactions need to be processed.
Will we get a slower network once this happens, likely so.
raymart0720

Activity: 322
Merit: 106

View Profile
September 10, 2017, 05:21:31 AM

if thats the case I think they will change the protocol and re anrrange it and maybe they will produce new ones
But I think it will never happen the exchange in everyday is not enough for bitcoins to mine..
if they trade it or exchange to cash the bitcoin will continue to circulate and they will get back
you can read these http://www.investopedia.com/news/what-happens-bitcoin-after-all-21-million-are-mined/
Ctn

Activity: 644
Merit: 259

View Profile
September 11, 2017, 08:10:08 AM

Bitcoin will just circulate in the market, mining hardware will be useless, the peak difficulty had been reached.

How could mining hardware be useless exactly? I think the difficulty for mining bitcoins by that time would be significantly less compared now since more powerful processors would have been created then.

This is not the right one, mining hardware are still needed at that time because the function of bitcoin mining is to use it for confirmation of your transaction that was generated from one peer to another peer. It is not just used to mine coins but it's actually used to confirm the transaction by solving the smart equations embedded into the transition.

There will be advancement in the chips as well and the transaction will be very much faster as compared to today's speed. There will be fees which I'm concern about because miners will not be getting rewards anymore so they will have to incur us more fees to survive.

CoinSavvy

Activity: 55

View Profile
September 11, 2017, 11:57:44 AM

There are only 21 million total bitcoins that can be mined, what will happen if all bitcoin is already mined?

It is assumed that Bitcoin will disappear, but perhaps there is the chance that this limited could be extended, or considering that Bitcoin founder Satoshi Nakamoto has a great stock of inactive coins this stock could be used as the asset for further existence of Bitcoin itself.
Noxmfs

Activity: 126
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
September 11, 2017, 03:57:12 PM

We'll find out in a few decades.
Happydd

Activity: 630
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 11, 2017, 04:50:47 PM

With technology now, I think it will be very soon bitcoin will be exploited. Then, their price will increase sharply because of this small amount.
NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

Activity: 3626
Merit: 2524

Evil beware: We have waffles!

View Profile
September 11, 2017, 05:05:11 PM
Last edit: September 11, 2017, 11:55:06 PM by NotFuzzyWarm

With technology now, I think it will be very soon bitcoin will be exploited. Then, their price will increase sharply because of this small amount.
If by 'soon will be exploited' you mean soon no more coins will be left to be mined as rewards then you have no idea how Bitcoin operates  Roll Eyes
You *are* correct that the value of BTC should continue to rise as they become harder to mine.

The network is self regulating to maintain an average of 10min per-block regardless of how fast miners work and how many are running. That means there is a FIXED DATE when the last coin is mined. That date is 2140. As technology gets faster Diff goes up to hold the 10-min per block.

Yes that means miners have to continually expand/update their farm to keep the same income but that is not much different than *any* business. Case in point: I started in Feb 2014 with 2x little 10GHs miners from BFL. Now I run 245+THs. Total starting cash into things was $8k up to April 2014 when from then on ALL expansions and upgrades were paid for by my farm income with a very tidy amount of profit as well.

Using the simple Google "when will the last Bitcoin be mined" turns up this as top answer:
The estimate is 2140 based on the block reward halving frequency of four years
Since none of us will be around then, can this damn newbie discussion of 'when' now finally die?

- For bitcoin to succeed the community must police itself -    My info useful? Donations welcome! 1FuzzyWc2J8TMqeUQZ8yjE43Rwr7K3cxs9
 -Sole remaining active developer of cgminer, Kano's repo is here
-Support Sidehacks miner development. Donations to:   1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
tranle789

Activity: 224

View Profile
September 12, 2017, 02:09:37 PM

For me if Bitcoin reaches 21 million then surely this market will enter the new era, the real era of cryptoucurrency because everything in this market will continuously increase in price especially Bitcoin. I think when it reaches the limit then surely people will switch to ETH.
Denniafredo

Activity: 8

View Profile
September 12, 2017, 02:43:13 PM

wow, its a good question, i dont know what happen if all bitcoin already mined, i hope some developers in bitcoin will expand it if all bitcoin already mined. and i hope bitcoin price is better than now if all bitcoin already mined
Adam

Activity: 224

View Profile
September 12, 2017, 03:14:40 PM

People will start to spend it?)

BattleTitans.io  ▼  Mobile PvP Arena of the Future  ▼  BattleTitans.io
The Most Promising ICO in October    [Join Now!]

▼  [FB]  ▬  [TW]  ▬  [TG]  ▬▬▬  [YU]  ▼
vc888888

Activity: 136

View Profile
September 12, 2017, 03:59:15 PM

Probably price will finally stabilize and bitcoin will become "digital gold".
IamMe13

Activity: 110

View Profile
September 13, 2017, 07:05:00 AM

If its gonna happen I think it will only be circulated because there are lots of business to do in the internet , bitcoins will never disappear as long as internet is there.
arjen20

Activity: 140

Mining Maganda paba?

View Profile
September 13, 2017, 07:16:19 AM

In my own opinion bitcoin will never disappeared as long as many people using it. Bitcoin help so many people to achieve their own goals like financial goal.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: