Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 07:58:36 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Join a pooled bitcoin mining effort  (Read 53314 times)
6174Kauri

Activity: 17
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 13, 2010, 10:53:27 AM

Hi doublec,

When did you contribute? Did you stop at any time? For the first few days the server was running the connected method, not contributed due to bugs in the later as described here: http://pastecoin.com/download.php?file=70
I started 2010-12-10, ca. 10pm and I stopped 2010-12-11 ca. 10am. Should be a pooled mining test. To see, how it works.

Is the address you listed appearing in the block as shown in block explorer?
Yes.

The MyBitcoin address is 1B8Dgkq4UtwVofQHN9TCay5ENfEz3k7Kbt.
And this address is shown in the block explorer.
MyBitcoin should forward the bitcoins to my client.
Neither that nor anything else has happend. The history shows nothing.

BTW: The bugs description surely must be written somewhere under that green paint...

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
BitLex

Activity: 532
Merit: 505

View Profile
December 13, 2010, 11:29:16 AM

as you can see here your address received 0.09btc.
those have to be somewhere.

doublec (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1005

View Profile
December 13, 2010, 11:38:36 AM

The MyBitcoin address is 1B8Dgkq4UtwVofQHN9TCay5ENfEz3k7Kbt.
And this address is shown in the block explorer.
MyBitcoin should forward the bitcoins to my client.

So it was a MyBitcoin address? I wonder if anyone else used a MyBitcoin address and if they got their coins too?

The generated transactions appear differently in clients. They show as 'Generated' and don't become usable for 120 blocks. Non-gui clients can't even see them or access them in any way using bitcoind until that 120 block period has passed. Possibly something in the way MyBitcoin is setup stopped them from picking up that you got coins?

Have you tried contacting them?
6174Kauri

View Profile
December 13, 2010, 12:19:27 PM

those have to be somewhere.
Yepp, somewhere... but where is this "somewhere"? Not in my wallet.dat, yet.

And it would be interesting whether there's another bitcoiner, whose cents got lost.

If no:
Than there has to be a problem on my side of the internet.
And if a newbie like me can make errors like this, every newbie can.
That should be cleared and find it's way into a "How not to use pool mining".

If yes:
Well... insert your own causal chain here.

So it was a MyBitcoin address? I wonder if anyone else used a MyBitcoin address and if they got their coins too?

The generated transactions appear differently in clients. They show as 'Generated' and don't become usable for 120 blocks. Non-gui clients can't even see them or access them in any way using bitcoind until that 120 block period has passed. Possibly something in the way MyBitcoin is setup stopped them from picking up that you got coins?

Have you tried contacting them?
Trying to get money from the faucet through MyBitcoin... waiting... got it, though it's not confirmed yet. As expected.

Ok, I'm trying to contact them.
In the meantime: Anyone else has this problem?

BTW: Now I'm running the pooled mining client with a bitcoin client address. See what's happening.
BitLex

View Profile
December 13, 2010, 12:31:37 PM

Yepp, somewhere... but where is this "somewhere"? Not in my wallet.dat, yet.
my guess, in MyBitcoins wallet.

i'm not sure how MyBitcoin checks your account balance, i havent used my account ever,
but if they just check your funding-address/es for received coins, those generated coins might not show up on your account, cuz they haven't been received, but generated.  Wink

i'm curious about their response.

6174Kauri

View Profile
December 13, 2010, 12:38:54 PM

but if they just check your funding-address/es for received coins, those generated coins might not show up on your account, cuz they haven't been received, but generated.  Wink
But are "my" bitcents really generated?
In my understanding, only the server gets all the generated coins and then the server sends the respective amount to all participants. And these will then receive coins...

Pls. correct me, doublec, if this isn't so.
BitLex

View Profile
December 13, 2010, 12:43:54 PM

yes, your bitcents are generated on that address of yours,
they are not send by the server.

the glory of the pool.

doublec (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 13, 2010, 12:44:18 PM

Pls. correct me, doublec, if this isn't so.

It isn't so. They are definitely 'generated'. If you look at the block you'll see the one generation block is split amongst all the addresses: http://blockexplorer.com/b/97017. Each of those addresses will have a 'Generated' transaction.
6174Kauri

View Profile
December 13, 2010, 12:59:38 PM

Thanks, BitLex & doublec!

Sounds like a MyBitcoin problem.
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5152
Merit: 12580

View Profile
December 13, 2010, 02:36:02 PM

Nothing in Bitcoin's JSON-RPC can be used to see generations, apparently.

In rpc.cpp, you can see checks like this:
Code:
            if (wtx.IsCoinBase() || !wtx.IsFinal())
                continue;

Removing the "wtx.IsCoinBase()" check should allow you to see the transactions. I haven't tried it, though -- maybe they won't be handled correctly.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
inertia

Activity: 35

View Profile WWW
December 13, 2010, 08:10:14 PM

Thanks, BitLex & doublec!

Sounds like a MyBitcoin problem.

I have the same problem using a MyBitcoin address.  I reported a problem to them, and got this reply:

Hello,

The MyBitcoin addresses work exactly the same as regular Bitcoin addresses.

So, if you "generate on them" you should see a deposit on your MyBitcoin account.

I hope that helps.

Tom

So I got more specific with them and sent the block explorer info, the amount I was expecting, as well as the address that should have the credit.  I'll report back what they say.
Cdecker

Activity: 489
Merit: 504

View Profile WWW
December 13, 2010, 11:37:09 PM

I think we should definitely add a warning not to use MyBitcoin addresses until the problem has been found.

Want to see what developers are chatting about? http://bitcoinstats.com/irc/bitcoin-dev/logs/
Bitcoin-OTC Rating
doublec (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 14, 2010, 01:54:43 AM

I think we should definitely add a warning not to use MyBitcoin addresses until the problem has been found.

I added a warning to the pool page.
tryptamine

Activity: 24

View Profile
December 14, 2010, 10:20:59 AM

I can't find it, sorry if somebody asked it before:

If I run several instances (read, computers) crunching numbers for the pool with the SAME bitcoin address, does this address receive an aggregate of bitcoins for all the computers' hashing work, or should I specify a different bitcoin address for every computer?
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
December 14, 2010, 10:31:52 AM

I can't find it, sorry if somebody asked it before:

If I run several instances (read, computers) crunching numbers for the pool with the SAME bitcoin address, does this address receive an aggregate of bitcoins for all the computers' hashing work, or should I specify a different bitcoin address for every computer?

One address is fine.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
doublec (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 14, 2010, 11:16:18 AM

Unfortunately running the pooled server is proving too taxing for my VPS host. They keep killing the server due to using too much CPU. sjaak on IRC has offered to host a server on 91.121.29.91 that runs full time on a dedicated machine (rather than a VPS). If sjaak posts here to confirm the offer I plan to turn my server off when it generates the next block (so all the existing contributers haven't wasted their time since the last block). sjaak's new server is currently running if you want to start using it now.
sjaak

Activity: 2

View Profile
December 14, 2010, 11:24:01 AM

Unfortunately running the pooled server is proving too taxing for my VPS host. They keep killing the server due to using too much CPU. sjaak on IRC has offered to host a server on 91.121.29.91 that runs full time on a dedicated machine (rather than a VPS). If sjaak posts here to confirm the offer I plan to turn my server off when it generates the next block (so all the existing contributers haven't wasted their time since the last block). sjaak's new server is currently running if you want to start using it now.

Hey all,
My server is running on 2x2,4ghz, so I think it should hold up a bit better. If there are any problems with the server, contact me here or on IRC. I'll also check the status regularly myself. Remember, I'm still a bit noobish when it comes to this bitcoin stuff, but hopefully I'll be able to help.

Happy mining!
inertia

Activity: 35

View Profile WWW
December 14, 2010, 02:59:27 PM

I think the MyBitcoin address problem will be solved.  As I mentioned, I gave MyBitcoin more details.  His reply:

Hello,

We are aware of the problem. It's actually a bug in Bitcoin's JSON RPC facility.

We are working on a solution. Once we have one we will release patches to the Bitcoin community.

I'll keep you posted.

Tom
RichardG

Activity: 6

View Profile
December 14, 2010, 09:18:06 PM

Quote from: IRC
<@nanotube> RichardG: ah i see it... well... does the new pool have a site? or is doublec going to update his site to point to the new ip?
<RichardG> I don't know
<RichardG> that's all that is being said
<RichardG> I wonder about that though
<RichardG> posting

What the logs say, will the new pool have a site?
Cdecker

Activity: 489
Merit: 504

View Profile WWW
December 14, 2010, 09:41:32 PM

You're referring to this right?
http://veritas.maximilianeum.ch/bitcoin/irc/logs/2010/12/14#l3216

I already switched to the new server and it actually gives me a higher khash/s count, so my guess is that previously the server was slowing me down, while controlling my metahashes ^^

Want to see what developers are chatting about? http://bitcoinstats.com/irc/bitcoin-dev/logs/
Bitcoin-OTC Rating
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: