Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 10:12:54 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin-qt cannot read the database, closing  (Read 478 times)
benjamin07 (OP)

Activity: 223
Merit: 116

View Profile
July 18, 2017, 01:05:13 AM

Hi,

1. A couple of years ago I had a wallet with a few BTC (left) in it; I quit the bitcoin environemt after I fell in the LTC gear scam. The wallet was working perfectly, i believe it was version 0.9.1 then.

2. Lately I decided to get back in crypto (essentially driven by the Etherum concept), i downloaded Bitcoin Core wallet 0.14.2 and got it to install on a dedicated hard disk by itself (as I knew the size of the block chain will be considerable, 132GB).

3. After I installed Bitcoin Core wallet, and before starting it, i did the following:
3.1. I went into the .conf file and put a password
3.2. I coped my safely stored wallet.dat file in the folder.

4. Bitcoin Core started downloading the block chain; the process took 3 full days. However, during the download process my PC went to sleep and would not return from sleep so I had to force shutdown. No symptoms appeared as the download of the block chain continued.

5. Once the download of the block chain was 100% compelted, I got an error stating that the program cannot read from the database, and that I should shutdown and contact support.

I tried to download and tun PYwallet but I read that there is a for somewhere that sends the privaste keys to a bieber.x host, so I did not run nor use PYwallet and decided to come here and ask for your help what can I do to get the wallet running correctly as I don't mind running a full Bitcoin Core wallet to help the network a bit if it does.

Alternatively, would the same wallet.dat work with a lighter version of the wallet?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
achow101
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 6576

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
July 18, 2017, 04:25:18 AM

Add reindex=1 to your bitcoin.conf file. Then start Core. Once it has started, remove that line from the bitcoin.conf file. What this will do is reindex the database, which means that it is reading the blockchain data from disk and rebuilding its databases. It will appear as if it is redownloading the entire blockchain, but it is not. Make sure that your computer does not forcibly shut down during this time as an unclean shut down will corrupt the database and require it to be reindexed again.

jackg
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2856
Merit: 3071

https://bit.ly/387FXHi lightning theory

View Profile
July 18, 2017, 04:00:31 PM

Hi,

1. A couple of years ago I had a wallet with a few BTC (left) in it; I quit the bitcoin environemt after I fell in the LTC gear scam. The wallet was working perfectly, i believe it was version 0.9.1 then.

2. Lately I decided to get back in crypto (essentially driven by the Etherum concept), i downloaded Bitcoin Core wallet 0.14.2 and got it to install on a dedicated hard disk by itself (as I knew the size of the block chain will be considerable, 132GB).

3. After I installed Bitcoin Core wallet, and before starting it, i did the following:
3.1. I went into the .conf file and put a password
3.2. I coped my safely stored wallet.dat file in the folder.

4. Bitcoin Core started downloading the block chain; the process took 3 full days. However, during the download process my PC went to sleep and would not return from sleep so I had to force shutdown. No symptoms appeared as the download of the block chain continued.

5. Once the download of the block chain was 100% compelted, I got an error stating that the program cannot read from the database, and that I should shutdown and contact support.

I tried to download and tun PYwallet but I read that there is a for somewhere that sends the privaste keys to a bieber.x host, so I did not run nor use PYwallet and decided to come here and ask for your help what can I do to get the wallet running correctly as I don't mind running a full Bitcoin Core wallet to help the network a bit if it does.

Alternatively, would the same wallet.dat work with a lighter version of the wallet?

If you want a lighter wallet, I'd suggest electrum.org. However, you'd have to import private keys which is costly in transaction fees (but not too costly if you have more than ~0.01BTC and few input transactions).
benjamin07 (OP)

Activity: 223
Merit: 116

View Profile
July 20, 2017, 01:36:04 PM

Hi,

Thank you for your comments, the problem is now solved and I am posting for future reference, it wasn't really a 'solution' though.

The problem was occurring on a PC running Xeon microprocessor and 16GB RAM. That PC took a week or so to download the 132GB blockchain.

I downloaded and installed Bitcoin Core on another PC (i7 and 64GB RAM) and copied bitcoin.conf and wallet.dat from the Xeon PC. The i7 downloaded the full blockchain in 1 day and it is working perfectly. I think something wrong with the Xeon.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: