Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 08:49:20 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: About the "Unknown block versions being mined!" warning  (Read 7506 times)
abilger

Activity: 58
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 21, 2017, 09:00:06 AM

The following sentences are written at xbt.eu

BIP91 LOCKED-IN
292 blocks until rejecting non-SegWit blocks.

It seems that many pools are supporting BIP91.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoinero_GB

Activity: 160
Merit: 100

http://www.ganabitcoins.com

View Profile WWW
July 21, 2017, 04:50:28 PM

Ok, We have BIP91 locked in.

The message of the Core shouldn't be dangeous.
But my Core wallet is not working well. The syncro works fine. But when send a payment there is no connection, and the movement is not broadcasting to the network.

What I'm doing wrong? I was thinking that Core users don´t need to change anything (using 0.14.2)

Meuh6879
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1011

View Profile
July 21, 2017, 04:54:52 PM

You can not emit with 0-fee ...

https://bitcoincore.org/en/releases/0.14.0/

Minimum Fee Rate Policies

Since the changes in 0.12 to automatically limit the size of the mempool and improve the performance of block creation in mining code it has not been important for relay nodes or miners to set -minrelaytxfee. With this release the following concepts that were tied to this option have been separated out: - incremental relay fee used for calculating BIP 125 replacement and mempool limiting. (1000 satoshis/kB) - calculation of threshold for a dust output. (effectively 3 * 1000 satoshis/kB) - minimum fee rate of a package of transactions to be included in a block created by the mining code. If miners wish to set this minimum they can use the new -blockmintxfee option. (defaults to 1000 satoshis/kB)

standard transaction weight 224B ... 0,00005 BTC of fees (25sat/B).
and now, we have 13600 transactions in mempool (65Mb).
xbiv2

Activity: 560
Merit: 111

View Profile
July 21, 2017, 05:48:15 PM

The following sentences are written at xbt.eu

BIP91 LOCKED-IN
292 blocks until rejecting non-SegWit blocks.

It seems that many pools are supporting BIP91.

Fake news

https://blockchain.info/charts/bip-9-segwit
https://blockchain.info/charts/bitcoin-unlimited-share

tspacepilot
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1076

I may write code in exchange for bitcoins.

View Profile
July 21, 2017, 07:03:49 PM
Last edit: July 22, 2017, 06:34:01 AM by tspacepilot

I guess the confusion here comes from the fact that you can signal BIP9 without signaling SegWit.   BIP9 signals on bit 4 and we definitely have like 80ish% of blocks in the last day or so signaling on bit 4.   SegWit readiness is signaled on bit 1 and I think that's what bc.i is tracking there.  As far as I know, in a couple hundred more blocks, the miners who signaled BIP9 are supposed to start rejecting blocks that don't signal segwit on bit 1.  We'll have to see whether all the folks who signaled BIP9 start putting bit1 and whether or not those who signaled BIP9 (bit4) actually do start orphaning blocks that don't signal bit1.

Disclaimer: this topic is confusing, I may be wrong.

EDIT: see next post by achow101: everywhere above that I said BIP9, I should have said BIP91.

achow101 (OP)
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3374
Merit: 6535

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
July 22, 2017, 01:21:24 AM

I guess the confusion here comes from the fact that you can signal BIP9 without signaling SegWit.   BIP9 signals on bit 4 and we definitely have like 80ish% of blocks in the last day or so signaling on bit 4.   SegWit readiness is signaled on bit 1 and I think that's what bc.i is tracking there.  As far as I know, in a couple hundred more blocks, the miners who signaled BIP9 are supposed to start rejecting blocks that don't signal segwit on bit 1.  We'll have to see whether all the folks who signaled BIP9 start putting bit1 and whether or not those who signaled BIP9 (bit4) actually do start orphaning blocks that don't signal bit1.

bit 4 is BIP 91. BIP 9 is the generic versionbits signaling system. BIP 9 is what segwit uses; BIP 91 is a modified version of BIP 9.

junan1

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 22, 2017, 03:12:04 AM
Last edit: July 22, 2017, 08:38:59 AM by junan1

• BIP 9 ("version bits") is a standard for proposing Bitcoin upgrades or "deployments".  Code for this is included in Bitcoin Core.
  • BIP 141, together with BIP 143 and BIP 147, ("SegWit") is a deployment which follows the BIP 9 standard.  Code for this is included in Bitcoin Core.
  • BIP 91 ("SegSignal") is a deployment which uses the BIP 9 machinery while not strictly following the standard.  Code for this is not included in Bitcoin Core but is included in a fork of Bitcoin Core called "btc1".

By modifying the version field in the block header, miners can "signal" their support for any combination of deployments.  Bit 1 of the version field corresponds to SegWit and bit 4 corresponds to SegSignal.

https://blockchain.info/charts/bip-9-segwit charts the signalling of SegWit (bit 1) where each datapoint is in fact the average signalling rate of the prior 2016 blocks (~ 2 weeks).  However, as you rightly observe, there has been a recent increase in SegWit signalling.  Of the last 144 blocks (~ 1 day), 131 have signaled for SegWit (~ 91%).  If the 2016-block moving average chart is at 95% or higher at a difficulty change then SegWit will "lock in".

SegSignal is already locked in and all nodes following SegSignal will consider invalid any blocks at height 477120 or greater (~ 2017-07-23, 8:00am UTC) (edit) which do not signal SegWit.  Note again that Bitcoin Core does not include code for this deployment (hence the warnings) and so Bitcoin Core nodes will not reject blocks as SegSignal requires.
tspacepilot
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1076

I may write code in exchange for bitcoins.

View Profile
July 22, 2017, 06:38:21 AM

• BIP 9 ("version bits") is a standard for proposing Bitcoin upgrades or "deployments".  Code for this is included in Bitcoin Core.
  • BIP 141, together with BIP 143 and BIP 147, ("SegWit") is a deployment which follows the BIP 9 standard.  Code for this is included in Bitcoin Core.
  • BIP 91 ("SegSignal") is a deployment which uses the BIP 9 machinery while not strictly following the standard.  Code for this is not included in Bitcoin Core but is included in a fork of Bitcoin Core called "btc1".

By modifying the version field in the block header, miners can "signal" their support for any combination of deployments.  Bit 1 of the version field corresponds to SegWit and bit 4 corresponds to SegSignal.

https://blockchain.info/charts/bip-9-segwit charts the signalling of SegWit (bit 1) where each datapoint is in fact the average signalling rate of the prior 2016 blocks (~ 2 weeks).  However, as you rightly observe, there has been a recent increase in SegWit signalling.  Of the last 144 blocks (~ 1 day), 131 have signaled for SegWit (~ 91%).  If the 2016-block moving average chart is at 95% or higher at a difficulty change then SegWit will "lock in".
That's really clear, junan1, thanks.  I appreciate "SegSignal" as a name instead of numbers, which are easier to mix up.
SegSignal is already locked in and all nodes following SegSignal will consider invalid any blocks at height 477120 or greater (~ 2017-07-23, 8:00am UTC).  Note again that Bitcoin Core does not include code for this deployment (hence the warnings) and so Bitcoin Core will not reject blocks as SegSignal requires.
I understand that it's also a theoretical possibility that those who are currently sending SegSignal may not actually follow through and orphan non-segwit blocks.  But I understand that we expect them to do so.
junan1

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 22, 2017, 08:35:21 AM

That's really clear, junan1, thanks.  I appreciate "SegSignal" as a name instead of numbers, which are easier to mix up.

Thank you tspacepilot.  Note: "segsignal" is the name given to this deployment by the author of BIP 91, James Hilliard.

SegSignal is already locked in and all nodes following SegSignal will consider invalid any blocks at height 477120 or greater (~ 2017-07-23, 8:00am UTC).  Note again that Bitcoin Core does not include code for this deployment (hence the warnings) and so Bitcoin Core will not reject blocks as SegSignal requires.
I understand that it's also a theoretical possibility that those who are currently sending SegSignal may not actually follow through and orphan non-segwit blocks.  But I understand that we expect them to do so.

Yes, I wasn't too clear here.  All nodes (miners or otherwise) following the rules of BIP 91 (adopting SegSignal) will consider invalid any blocks which do not signal SegWit when this deployment becomes active.  However, there's nothing preventing nodes from giving up on SegSignal at any time.  Additionally, there's nothing preventing miners from setting bit 4 whether or not they intend to adopt SegSignal.

Technically, the same applies to SegWit itself.
Meuh6879
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1011

View Profile
July 22, 2017, 11:26:17 AM

Update : https://www.xbt.eu/ (144 Blocks)

Bitcoinero_GB

Activity: 160

http://www.ganabitcoins.com

View Profile WWW
July 22, 2017, 11:28:17 AM

But my Core wallet is not working well. The syncro works fine. But when send a payment there is no connection, and the movement is not broadcasting to the network.

What I'm doing wrong? I was thinking that Core users don´t need to change anything (using 0.14.2)

But Why I cannot send funds with bitcoin qt wallet?

achow101 (OP)
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3374
Merit: 6535

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
July 22, 2017, 04:29:36 PM

But Why I cannot send funds with bitcoin qt wallet?
It has nothing to do with the warning or any potential forks. You have likely just done something wrong. Make a post in the Tech Support forum and people will help you there. Don't ask for help in this thread as it is off topic.

xbiv2

Activity: 560
Merit: 111

View Profile
July 22, 2017, 04:44:23 PM

Not trust to bitcoin-core developers and use bitcoin-core of 2014 https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/releases/tag/v0.9.1
"Unknown block versions being mined!" warning have only in new versions

simbo

Activity: 165

View Profile
July 22, 2017, 05:53:57 PM

achow, thank you for the explanation! I was wondering, what this means

BattleTitans.io  ▼  Mobile PvP Arena of the Future  ▼  BattleTitans.io
The Most Promising ICO in October    [Join Now!]

▼  [FB]  ▬  [TW]  ▬  [TG]  ▬▬▬  [YU]  ▼
Crystaleyes

Activity: 147

View Profile
August 25, 2017, 11:41:02 AM

So, it's the 25th August and this message just popped up in my Bitcoin Core.

Is it still benign?

Is it not amazing? That in the sub-micro world of the atom, quantum physics requires the perpetual motion of particles with both spin and orbital motions.

Yet in the macro world, mainstream science is based upon the law that a perpetual motion machine is absolutely impossible!

This is the embarrassing state of today's science...
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: